What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Denver disp owners plead guilty for looping

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
9news.com

CO law allows purchase of 1 oz of cannabis per day. Some people were buying then leaving only to come back and buy again (16 times). The 3 owners of the chain of disps plead guilty for the bust which happened over a year ago. The holding company which owns the chain of disps also plead guilty of Violating CO Organized Crime Control Act (whatever that is?), and also Failure to File Returns or Pay A Tax.

Stuff like that makes the state look bad.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
The key thing here is 'owners'

Initial arrests and charges were made against individual employees and subsequent hearings and appeals put the owners at fault as well. Licenses revoked, warehouses taken down.

I think it would have looked worse if the state hadn't done anything or just issued some fines.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's pretty cmmon, repetitive purchases, Colorado and elsewhere. Wasn't impressed with offerings when we lived in Colo.

While in the Netherlands, we returned to favorite shops twice a day for hash.

However, if dispensaries want to keep their license, they need to have some sort of tally whereby purchasers cannot buy repeatedly, same day. Of course, that just means another store will get their purchase.

EvergreenState

I wonder if Colorado law allows a person to go into a liquor store and purchase 50 cases of whiskey? I bet they allow that. If a person wants to go into a pot store and purchase 5 or 10 lbs. of pot he should be allowed. If he wants to risk going to prison by taking that pot to a backward state and try to sell it, that's on him. I'm sure Colorado had to satisfy neighboring state's ( governmental agency beauracrats) when they wrote their laws; although I'm sure the people in those states would love access to Colorado pot. Gotta let daddy government give us (permission) before it will (allow) us to do anything though. Daddy may I please, pretty please, sell more pot? I'll be a good little boy.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
This being an international forum, when you view cases as these with a wide angle lens in a larger context it looks silly.

At the least I see a lesson unfolding. The short timeline of law and its fragmented and inconsistent nature. Also its relation to harassment, social structure, and economic wealth.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Returning 16 times for 1 oz....they're shipping it somewhere.

Spain has clubs as do Uruguay, max. limit, Netherlands allowed 5 gr. per day. But there were many coffeeshops to choose from.

And yes, I'm sure no restraints on buying cases of alcohol.

At least it's readily available....and for the "price of convenience" ....not necessarily top shelf.