What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TripleBerry F2 and relatives grow

therevverend

Veteran
I'm at 47 N. When should I expect them to start tossing hairs? My day length is going below 15 hours next week. Usually I'd give my plants one more shot of N but I don't think they need it.

They're growing fast now. Can't believe how bushy they've suddenly gotten. It seems like a lot of strains go through a stall, when they go from the 1 or 2 gallon pot into the ground. They put a lot of growth into first filling up the pots with roots, then when they go in the ground they've got to build a real root system. I can tell their roots are filled in now because they aren't wilting between waterings.

There's a good amount of variation in leaf shape, plant shape, bushiness. F2 hybrids but I can tell they're from the same 'family'. I'll check for orange smells, that's the super bushy one you've pegged it looks quite a bit different then the other two.

therevverend

Veteran
One way to grade strains as an outdoor grower, there are indoor and outdoor plants. There's strains that only get so big, maybe 6 feet tall or so, shorter branching, I tend to think of these as indoor strains. You can take a lot of cuttings, do a sea of green, and cycle them from Veg to flowering and they won't stretch or get too bushy. Finish flowering in 7 or 8 weeks.

These aren't bad outdoor plants, they usually finish in late September to early October, only you're getting a couple ounces a plant. There's a lot of seed companies that have these type of strains. They can be excellent knockout smoke. As a northern grower they're useful in breeding programs and if you can plant them in high numbers you can have a good yield. Often they have poor mold resistance if it's a wet year. I still think of them as indoor plants because that's where they really shine but I like running the best ones outside too.

But for your main run you want big plants that'll get 8 feet tall and get bushy, really produce. A half pound to a pound a plant or more. Many of them finish late, push you towards mid and late October when mold takes it's toll. Even so the yield is kind of worth it.

The goal is to find ones that finish earlier, in late September, early October. The Royal Kush hybrid I have is a good one. Finishes October 1st. Grape Ape is another good one, in California it can finish Sept 20th, up here more like Oct 1. These plants tend to be a half pound up, not more then a pound. The really big outdoor stuff, Blue Dream, Super Hazes, are better grown in California because they're so late. More like Halloween harvest up here.

I'm still trying to get a handle on where Tripleberry sits on the spectrum. It's actually nice having the F2s because each plant is different, give me a good look at what I'm working with. I haven't had much success with Autoflowering or photosensitive strains, as a plant goes into flowering earlier it also doesn't get as big. The holy grail is to find a pound a planter that's potent and finishes Sept 3rd.

Right now the Triberry is looking indoor/outdoor. The biggest one is right at 6 feet, the other two are getting close. Not as big as the outdoor beasts but not an indoor type that doesn't bush out or produce. I've got a G-13/HP and a Burkle 2.0, they're similar sized plants, yield probably 4-8 ounces although it could be quite a bit more. I have a Durango OG that's definitely indoor, much smaller, basically a bud on a stick type. A lot depends on when they're going to finish and how big they get during the stretch.

A few years back I got seeds of the Blue Digiberry. I've had terrible luck with blueberry strains, they never work out for me. The digiberry was an indoor type, almost medium sized. I was disappointed in the smoke it was decent but didn't have a really great smell. Always disappointed when blueberry doesn't reek like the blueberry I remember back in the day. I think it's an indoor type or at least not a good one at my latitude. It happens more then you think, a strain comes with high expectations and good reviews and doesn't adapt to the environment here. It's why most of my strains come from either growing friends or were bred in Northern California or Oregon.

The Triberry is already much better then the Digi was, showing better growth and smells just from rubbing the stem. It's going to be real interesting to see which plant is best with the variation, whether it's the tall stretchier one or the super bushy thinner leaved ones. The stem rub smells are very strong promise good things to come. Of course next year if I favor them and get them in the ground sooner they could get bigger.

browntrout

Veteran
One way to grade strains as an outdoor grower, there are indoor and outdoor plants. There's strains that only get so big, maybe 6 feet tall or so, shorter branching, I tend to think of these as indoor strains. You can take a lot of cuttings, do a sea of green, and cycle them from Veg to flowering and they won't stretch or get too bushy. Finish flowering in 7 or 8 weeks.

These aren't bad outdoor plants, they usually finish in late September to early October, only you're getting a couple ounces a plant. There's a lot of seed companies that have these type of strains. They can be excellent knockout smoke. As a northern grower they're useful in breeding programs and if you can plant them in high numbers you can have a good yield. Often they have poor mold resistance if it's a wet year. I still think of them as indoor plants because that's where they really shine but I like running the best ones outside too.

But for your main run you want big plants that'll get 8 feet tall and get bushy, really produce. A half pound to a pound a plant or more. Many of them finish late, push you towards mid and late October when mold takes it's toll. Even so the yield is kind of worth it.

The goal is to find ones that finish earlier, in late September, early October. The Royal Kush hybrid I have is a good one. Finishes October 1st. Grape Ape is another good one, in California it can finish Sept 20th, up here more like Oct 1. These plants tend to be a half pound up, not more then a pound. The really big outdoor stuff, Blue Dream, Super Hazes, are better grown in California because they're so late. More like Halloween harvest up here.

I'm still trying to get a handle on where Tripleberry sits on the spectrum. It's actually nice having the F2s because each plant is different, give me a good look at what I'm working with. I haven't had much success with Autoflowering or photosensitive strains, as a plant goes into flowering earlier it also doesn't get as big. The holy grail is to find a pound a planter that's potent and finishes Sept 3rd.

Right now the Triberry is looking indoor/outdoor. The biggest one is right at 6 feet, the other two are getting close. Not as big as the outdoor beasts but not an indoor type that doesn't bush out or produce. I've got a G-13/HP and a Burkle 2.0, they're similar sized plants, yield probably 4-8 ounces although it could be quite a bit more. I have a Durango OG that's definitely indoor, much smaller, basically a bud on a stick type. A lot depends on when they're going to finish and how big they get during the stretch.

A few years back I got seeds of the Blue Digiberry. I've had terrible luck with blueberry strains, they never work out for me. The digiberry was an indoor type, almost medium sized. I was disappointed in the smoke it was decent but didn't have a really great smell. Always disappointed when blueberry doesn't reek like the blueberry I remember back in the day. I think it's an indoor type or at least not a good one at my latitude. It happens more then you think, a strain comes with high expectations and good reviews and doesn't adapt to the environment here. It's why most of my strains come from either growing friends or were bred in Northern California or Oregon.

The Triberry is already much better then the Digi was, showing better growth and smells just from rubbing the stem. It's going to be real interesting to see which plant is best with the variation, whether it's the tall stretchier one or the super bushy thinner leaved ones. The stem rub smells are very strong promise good things to come. Of course next year if I favor them and get them in the ground sooner they could get bigger.

Yeah she's Indoor BB bred to my outdoor bred BB strain ((Durban Poison / PCK) x Joey Weed Blueberry) x Mother of Berry.

Tons of phenos, I've got it narrowed down to 15 but there is everything in there. I do know most phenos are early/moderate to start flowering and even early to finish flower (48-52 days from seed indoors) Outdoors end of September at 45N east. All very mold ,resistant the purples especially.

In the indoor test run there is every type of smell, forest berries, berry jam, fruit loops, orange, spicy, rubber, sour candy, MJ, skunk, musky, You name it. The real deal blueberry candy/jam muffin smell was rare for me, she came out as a super vigorous "Blueberry Sativa" with some serious stretch but with the earliness and single cola dominance from my outdoor BB, very odd to see such sativa characteristics in this form. Somewhat sadly the blueberry smell faded the last week of flowering and subdued with PM issues to a sickly sweet berry/spice smell with a very sweet taste. However she is being bred out, but i have expectation I can dial her in, in clone form that is.

I have another that makes some pretty lavender/green buds with a faint berry smell but has a very nice complex berry/bubblegum taste.

Anyways, very excited to see what you get from yours.

browntrout

Veteran
TB F2 Mob select (BB Sativa) on the left:
picture.php

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
The Tri-berries have switched into flowering and filled in nicely. Great smells and already showing nice resin build up. Here's the biggest one:

picture.php

picture.php

Already some purple color showing. The least smelling of the three, a nice hashy sort of smell but not distinct yet.

Here's the second one, looks ridiculously tall and slim from this angle.

picture.php

An extreme tall upright growth pattern, those branches don't want to spread out. Not really a favorable trait but she already has a nice berry type flavor. I'd include a picture but I'm limited to 5 per post. She looks a lot like the other ones, no purpling yet. Very tight shape, lots of white hairs and new resin glands.

Here's the 3rd one. Hard to get a good picture because she's boxed in on all sides by other plants.

picture.php

picture.php

I'd probably give the nod to #2 as having the best smell but #3 has the strongest. She smells great, a sharp sweet almost citrus type smell. I've smelled plants like this in the past, I think of it as a 'vitamin c' type smell. Similar to the vitamin C chewable vitamins my grandma gave me when I was a kid. But much better. Hard to judge a clear favorite at this point. Yield and shape go to #1 but 2 and 3 have the edge in smell so far. They aren't the earliest plants in the garden but close to it, should be finished by the end of the month. Hopefully I'll get lucky and they'll be sooner..

therevverend

Veteran
The Tripleberries are coming on quickly, along with developments good and bad. The good is that all 3 are frosting up, turning purple, and developing lots of interesting smells. The big one is really stacking up, long cola covered branches. Nice fruity purple smell. Here's a couple pics.

picture.php

picture.php

Can't ask for better then that, dense frosty purple buds that smell wonderful.

The bad news is that the weather has turned to absolute shit. Wet, windy, cool temperatures with very little sun. One of my Tripleberries is next to the largest plant in the garden, large limbs from it have fallen and landed on her. She's been leaning and tipping, I've had to re-tie her several times. Still, she's proceeding to harvest quickly.

The 3rd Triberry, the smallest one, is suffering the worst. She's also the best, well, most interesting smelling. Rank, dank, and fruity flavors you can smell her from 5 feet away. I'm really excited to find out what she's like after drying. She's the closest to harvest which is the problem, she's getting little bits of boytritis scattered around her buds. I've removed them as best I can, doesn't amount to a lot of losses yet. But it doesn't make me optimistic for the future, I may lose quite a bit to the mold monster.

I dabbed pollen on a couple branches, to make seeds for next year. Of course some of these flowers are the ones attacked by boytritis. Very frustrating to spend six months growing a plant only to start losing parts of her to grey mould.

The weather forecast isn't good either, more rain and then sunny/cloudy days with low temperatures, below 20 degrees C. All the moisture left by the rain means heavy fogs and dew.

Normally Septembers are much drier and warmer, this is the worst weather in many years. The Triberry would have been perfect, coming down right before the autumn weather kicks in but this year is the bad kind of special.

The one with the boytritis is also in the worst place, partially blocked out by bigger plants and near my grape vine and other plants that cause mold and PM. Some of her neighbors are also infected, hopefully the two on the other side of the garden fair better.

browntrout

Veteran
Awesome!! @therevverend. It has been another bad year for frost here but they are trucking along for me.

Glad you found some interesting girls! They do flower quite quickly for the most part The F1s were a bit earlier oddly enough seemed like they had an earlier trigger, so many options in the F2s however.

Mold is a bitch, some of the tripleberries can get pretty dense but the really purple phenos have a natural defense to mold it seems.

Keep us posted, I have the next iteration of Tripleberry in the works now, much greater selection work and a 25% dash of flavor bomb courtesy of White Rhino / God Bud.

I used a proven and extremely tasty White Rhino / God Bud clone and bred it to my TB males last year, the WR/GB is like hawaiian lavender berry.

So the TB cloned phenos from my indoor run are getting hit with the TB x WR/GB males outdoors.

#6 select Blueberry Sativa
#7 select Blueberry pineapple
#19 select Fruit Loops
#4 Orange
#14 sour berry

therevverend

Veteran
Finally got around to sampling my Tripleberry flowers. I'm very happy with it, top shelf smoke. Exotic looks and flavor. My favorite one has all sorts of funky terpenes, sort of a fruity garbage taste. Good medical euphoric type high, mind and body. Some of my best this year, it's the type of strain that you want to smoke just for the joy of hitting it. I'd like trying it indoors in organic dirt, maybe take a hit on yield and growth speed but the flavors and frost would be great.

I took tough losses from mold but really not the strain's fault I wouldn't say it's particularly mold susceptible. 10 days of rain and a strain with any Afghani heritage at all is going to get hit. It's a beautiful ornamental type plant, all sorts of lavender, red, pink, and green colors. The longer I let it go the better it got.

Here's a pic of a finished flower.

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
More flower shots of the mature Trip.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

One of the phenos showed obvious Pakistani Chitral Kush traits, bud shape and smell. It was the biggest yielding but the smell wasn't as strong as the other two. The color made up for it, really nice deep purple.

browntrout

Veteran
Awesome rev, the end of season weather is always hit or miss as we talked about.

Not having smelled them the paki pheno looks like it could be a MOB BB sativa pheno.

There are Straight Paki phenos that come up in tripleberry breeding. Had one come up in the Angel Heart x TB I. Which everything is sativa dominant and the paki pheno had large fat fans that overlapped and hooked at the ends of the leaves. It also sported a thick dominant main stem with minimal side branching. Too bad it was a Male.

therevverend

Veteran
Popped a few more of these this spring. Seeing some nice variation. One has been faster growing then the rest, has the Tripleberry shape but is one size larger. We've had some cool wet weather, she turned purple at the tips.

picture.php

picture.php

browntrout

Veteran
Popped a few more of these this spring. Seeing some nice variation. One has been faster growing then the rest, has the Tripleberry shape but is one size larger. We've had some cool wet weather, she turned purple at the tips.

View Image

View Image

Awesome! Sooo many phenos so little time. Hopefully you get some nice resistant phenos. If you get a giant bud pheno I hope it's purple.... purple ones seem to be more mold resistant.

The taller slightly lankier and more vigorous plants have always been very nice smoke for me.

therevverend

Veteran
I'm a bit disappointed on the one hand and happy on the other. The big plant in the last picture showed male today. Happy she's already sexed, on the 3rd of June but disappointed it's a male. It has potential as a breeder, I might keep him around. Let me know if you have any advice about choosing males. The purple tip and shape reminds me of the PCK.

The good news is the one next to him showed female. She's a looker, not as vigorous as I'd like but has that killer Indica look. My strong purple one last year had a similar look shape. I'll get a picture at some point.

Everything's tossing out pre-flowers, my advice for anyone growing from regular seed is to start outdoors in mid March and at the latest by April 5th. You've got a good chance of pre-sexing in June, pre-solstice. If you're starting indoors or later there's an advantage to using feminized seed or clones.

browntrout

Veteran
I'm a bit disappointed on the one hand and happy on the other. The big plant in the last picture showed male today. Happy she's already sexed, on the 3rd of June but disappointed it's a male. It has potential as a breeder, I might keep him around. Let me know if you have any advice about choosing males. The purple tip and shape reminds me of the PCK.

The good news is the one next to him showed female. She's a looker, not as vigorous as I'd like but has that killer Indica look. My strong purple one last year had a similar look shape. I'll get a picture at some point.

Everything's tossing out pre-flowers, my advice for anyone growing from regular seed is to start outdoors in mid March and at the latest by April 5th. You've got a good chance of pre-sexing in June, pre-solstice. If you're starting indoors or later there's an advantage to using feminized seed or clones.

It's a bit hard in this line being an open pollination. I've seen the TB throw pure paki phenos, They grow like poles un-topped with little 4-6" branches hugged tight to the main stem. They have a wider "spider" leaf. Send of picture of what you got if you have the chance.

Here is a USC Triple Pakistani (I used PCK but alas still Pakistani) , it show's the "spider leaf" shorter and fatter with overlapping and elongated slender tips:
1.jpg.509ea9efcd807d422cf4ccba3a1221ed.jpg

therevverend

Veteran
I'm a bit disappointed, both my big vigorous Tripleberries showed male. The biggest one smells great, has a good structure, it'll probably end up a breeder. I gave away my females, they weren't keepers. I'll still check up on them, see how they do and if anything interesting comes out of them.

browntrout

Veteran
I'm a bit disappointed, both my big vigorous Tripleberries showed male. The biggest one smells great, has a good structure, it'll probably end up a breeder. I gave away my females, they weren't keepers. I'll still check up on them, see how they do and if anything interesting comes out of them.

Bummer! I got some fem beans if your interested.

Latest posts

Latest posts