What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quick Question for the Masters

AzHogRoaster

Greetings all, thanks for taking a peek.

I am growing in 5gal fabric pots. Using a mix of FFOF and FF Happy Frog. I have most of the organic amendments and am planning to add to each pot, approx 4gal soil.

2 tbsp glacial rock dust
2 tbsp bentonite clay
2 tbsp dolomite gypsum mix
1 tbsp blood meal
2 tbsp high P guano
2 tbsp kelp meal
2 tbsp worm castings (bag)
2 cups perilite

I understand there will be no "cooking" time and these are not amounts that would sustane a full cycle. The idea is to supplement the soil to provide plenty of goodies for the microbes to dine on. In a attempt to promote a happy herd and a little more stank and flavor at the end (going into flower). I do expect to make some teas (per MM....mostly). Also, I can hit the bottle (EEEEK) as needed. But hey, they're "organic". I use RO water.

QUESTION:

Is this a reasonable approach and should move ahead as planned?

OR:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Over eager noob that shouldn't run threw the woods at night?

Thank you for you response. :tiphat:

jonhova

2 cups of perlite is not enough drainage. At least 30% of the volume should be an aeration component.

KIS

Greetings all, thanks for taking a peek.

I am growing in 5gal fabric pots. Using a mix of FFOF and FF Happy Frog. I have most of the organic amendments and am planning to add to each pot, approx 4gal soil.

2 tbsp glacial rock dust
2 tbsp bentonite clay
2 tbsp dolomite gypsum mix
1 tbsp blood meal
2 tbsp high P guano
2 tbsp kelp meal
2 cups perilite

I understand there will be no "cooking" time and these are not amounts that would sustane a full cycle. The idea is to supplement the soil to provide plenty of goodies for the microbes to dine on. In a attempt to promote a happy herd and a little more stank and flavor at the end (going into flower). I do expect to make some teas (per MM....mostly). Also, I can hit the bottle (EEEEK) as needed. But hey, they're "organic". I use RO water.

QUESTION:

Is this a reasonable approach and should move ahead as planned?

OR:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Over eager noob that shouldn't run threw the woods at night?

Thank you for you response. :tiphat:

Couple quick thoughts:

1. You'll be fine on aeration because there is already aeration in the Fox Farm soils, I don't think the other poster took that into consideration.

2. You could topdress with nutrients (probably ditch the rock dusts for the top dress as they will most likely take too long to break down). Or you could feed with such products like seaweed extract powder, fish hydrolysate, molasses, etc....

3. In the future, I would lean towards using ag lime or oyster shell instead of dolomite lime. My guess is your soil will be low Ca and high Mg. A soil test would be helpful in evaluating your mix.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bentonite calcium clay over bentonite sodium

Topdress with a layer of vermicompost (castings) - and a bit of alfalfa meal scratched in

You could also do with some oyster shell - chicken grit.

truck

If you are not going to cook for at least 2 weeks, i reccomend 2 months if possible, This is what i suggest.

2 tbsp glacial rock dust
2 cups perilite

the bottom gallon add these with 2 more cups perlite and mix well, then add 1 gallon of soil on top or to proper transplant depth, never place a rootball on top of dry nutes always have at least 1 gallon of soil in between the rootball and a dry nute layer.
1 tbsp blood meal
2 tbsp high P guano
2 tbsp kelp meal

if you want to get crazy spray the inside of your bucket and dust some nutes on the sides and bottoms of the buckets. 1 tbs of espom salt on the botom floor of a bucket does wonders as well.

truck

top dress at week 1 with 1 teaspoon of everything you have mixed in equal proportions. keep the top dressing away from the rootball. do it around the edge of the bucket. week 2 Top dress worm castings 1/4 cup. Week 3 Top dress 1 teaspoon high p guano. Week 4 top dress 1/4 cup worm castings, Week 5 top dress with high p guano 1 tea spoon. Week 6 top dress with 1/4 cup worm castings and 1 tea spoon of that mix you used at week 1. Just add water along the way, use some molasses week 7. just water tell it finishes. I recommend using a enzyme to enhance your feedings as well i like flying skull z7, but many other out there that work, I also like the biocanna line and run the light feed schedule. good luck.

p.s. mulch the top layer really well inch or two of coco or bark, or any kind of mulch that will help enhance the top dressings, and keep watering easier without the top layer caking up so easily, the top layer may need some scratching along the way to help absorption and distribution of the top dressings.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
id nix the blood with no cook time. you might find some useful info in the link in my sig. why not do a fully amended mix and water only?
also, dont add any pearlite to ffof/hf it has too much as it is. could use more ewc too. just quick thoughts.