What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

A hemp variety registered in one of the countries of the former republic of yugoslavia or a Yugoslavian land race?
Yugo Landrace would be nice.

Just wondering why you want such a variety...
i'm part croatian and want to grow hemp, not really complicated or thought out.
Because in Yugoslavia, mainly all the Hungarian varieties and the Italian Fibranova have been cultivated. Nowadays it's mainly Serbia which cultivates hemp and it seems as if they were gradually switching to 'Novosadska konoplja' which is a Fleischmann hemp selection and therefore of Italian origin.
Also, the Fleischmann hemp had a strong influence on Hungarian varieties and therefore most of the agricultural hemp in Serbia is closely related to Italian hemp.

On the other hand, I suppose that in this region you have a fair chance of still finding feral hemp (either endemic or more likely fibre hemp gone wild). Best chance here would be to find someone living there ;) .

Eventually I would like to make a bio-diesel, but that is far down the road. Looks like I have a lot to learn. Thanks for pointing me down some pathways

:tiphat:

Great thread btw

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Ah I see, sentimental reasons :D .
May I ask where you live right now? Because Yugoslavian hemp will mature rather late (for example, it will not make ripe seeds in North Germany) and the fibre hemp varieties used there grow really tall for European means.
If you want an 'original' with a rather high genetic variability and likely similar appearance than Yugoslavian hemp, you could buy a few seeds of the North Italian landrace Carmagnola in Switzerland KLICK ME.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
picture.php

Keep on growing :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
View Image

Thanks for sharing a bit of history. Unfortunately, most of these varieties don't exist anymore (maybe there's still something at the VIR genebank though) mostly because of elevated THC/CBD content.
Modern cultivars usually have a THC content below 0.3% and a CBD content around 1%.
Check out THIS LINK for modern varieties approved in Canada or THIS ONE (the table on PDF page 34, publication page 28 respectively, is self-explaining) and THAT ONE (table is on PDF page 81 or publication page 75 respectively) to two German theses .

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Thnx for the link :yes: , but i don't think they're all gone :)

Hemp harvesting USSR 1956

picture.php

Gives a clue about the heights of those Russian varieties.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Apropos links, these were the same than already posted in my first post (the part in text size 1). I thought volks might have overlooked them easily ;) .

Your're right, the 'Ermakovskaya Mestnaya' should still be around, but the low numbered USO/US varieties... I didn't wanted to say they're extinct, even the old 'Bernburger Einhäusige' is still maintained but these varieties are usually kept only for preservation purposes, maybe also for experimental breeding, and not accessible to private persons. Recently, I contacted the responsible at the VIR by mail using my university account, title and all regarding that subject but haven't got any reply ;( .

BTW, just read your signature... Do you know by any chance whether Bócsa's 'Panorama' variety is still around?

oldchuck

Veteran
It annoys me no end that the hemp breeders are so terrified of THC. It also annoys me that dopers are interested in nothing but higher and higher THC. I understand why, of course, but Cannabis ought to be approached in a unified way. There is no other species on earth that is capable of providing the broad human benefits of Cannabis in all its various uses. The Cannabis gene pool is vast and much could be learned by integrated attention. Mexcurander's little experiment crossing Finola with a drug strain is just the thing. Just grow out the strange crosses to see what happens. Surprises await.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
It was a male but properly dusted the early flowers of a Chinese variety which stood just behind.
This phenotype seems to be rare in the Lebanese, but you never know.

idiit

Veteran
I got a question though and I'm just curious....

If hemp becomes a major crop again in the states and elsewhere like it seems like it might...is it possible that some hemp pollen will hit some drug strains of cannabis that are being grown in the same vicinity as a hemp farm that is say 5 miles away or so?

I've heard that there are some hemp farms already in operation in Colorado, so it got me wondering about the possible negative ramifications surrounding the commercial growing of hemp.

Again, I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm just curious.

HB.

^^ YES! it's a huge problem. when the air is yellow from wild hemp pollen in the fall along the kansas river between lawrence ks. and manhattan ks. from the massive (can't be erradicated despite decades of trying) wild hemp fields stray pollen specks can travel up to a thousand miles and permanently fuck any strain it invades.

i'm from the hemp basket of america; midwest, grain belt.

the hemp strains there are feared and loathed by all knowledegable growers of cannabis ( for smoke, not rope).

the indigenous hemp strains throughout this area are dominate in all crosses. once hemp pollen enters your strain it will commercially worthless within a couple of f(x) generations.

it will ruin the potency and high effects of any and all strains hemp contaminates.

hemp's nasty pollution of strains grown for smoke is known by the locals as a terrible scourge for many decades. it's like hemp has taken on a new lustre to the point that the academics are now sayin' that cannabis sativa is hemp. these are fighting words. this is total bullshit.

here is a post i made on another ic thread:

i'm from hemp basket country; kansas. i was taught when i was young and cute enough to get taken on by the older hippies in the middle '70's. we knew hemp. we hated hemp. real hemp (gives you a headache, low potency, totally ruins any seedstock once it's entered via stray hemp pollenation from the quadtrillion wild hemp males in the vicinity) is totally different in my book from quality up energetic psychoactive highly potent landrace sativas.

calling hemp weed and grail landrace sativas by the same term is like calling a female gorrilla a woman. it can get real ugly from there!

scientists call humidity dew point. how many field workers, golfers, etc. bitch about the dew point? none. we bitch about the humidity. we know that nasty dirty slimy clammy skin effect as "humidity".

basically, fuck calling grail sativa landraces hemp.

when the academics get too academic they need to go into teaching as they are no longer able to compete out in the real world; rodney dangerfield's "Back to School" movie made brutal fun of the academic professors' failure to grasp reality from a real vantage point.

samtheskunkman and clarke are deserving much respect but on this issue they are full of shit from a real world, real "hemp" perspective.

try getting ppl all too familiar with real hemp weed to go along with this academic nomenclature bs!

won't happen.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hey idiit, you flora racist ;)
If you speak of cannabis, you speak scientific nomenclature.
The only difference between hemp (which was first) and drug type cannabis in the modern world is a simple difference in the B allele and the lack of a selection towards more cannabinoids in the former.
If ditch weed takes over your 'strains' it simply means that your stuff is genetically degraded and less adapted to the local growing environment ;) .
Look at Himalayan 'jungli' multi-purpose varieties; they are as well ditch weed, fibre/seed hemp and drug/medicine.
If farmers in the '40s and '50s had bred BT/BT hemp and were looking for medical purposes and modern tokers were seeking to grow their own ropes and healthy breakfast seeds you'd complain the same way and were pesting about all the drug ditch weed infesting your nice fibre hemp!

Do you also pest about all wild animals calling them not worthy of the term 'animal' just because you can ride a horse and milk a cow but not a deer or an elk?

BTW, you're posting in my HEMP thread where people, who LIKE hemp, can exchange rational informations on hemp etc.
I don't go to the growing hydropontics section pesting about the irrationality and disrespect of mother nature of that growing method...

idiit

Veteran
^^ i believe in hemp. hemp has wonderful applications; historically, currently.

i'm familiar only with the midwest american hemp strains.

the midwest hemp strains have been around a while :) :

Patent number: YEAR: DESCRIPTION:
458,318 1891 MACHINE FOR BREAKING AND CLEANING HEMP
828,813 1906 PROCESS FOR TREATING FLAX AND HEMP STRAW
890,520 1908 BOD-PACKING
1,356,740 1920 MACHINE FOR BREAKING
1,342,771 1920 MACHINE FOR TREATING OR BREAKING AND SCUTCHING HEMP
1,342,772 1920 MACHINE FOB BREAKING AND SCUTCHING HEMP
1,385,917 1921 HEMP HARVESTING AND SPREADING MACHINE
1,410,416 1922 Breaking and scutching Hemp
1,415,930 1922 FIBER-HANDLING MECHANISM
1,448,391 1923 PROCESS OF TREATING OR RETTING
1,486,750 1924 HEMP SCUTCHEB
1,493,343 1924 HEMP GATHER BINDER
1,490,345 1924 MACHINE FOB BREAKING
1,678,134 1928 Harvesting Machine for Hemp

the midwest hemp strains will ruin any cannabis seed stock meant for smoking, including medicinal reasons. everyone who has any experience with midwest hemp knows the above statements to be factually accurate.

my gut level reaction against calling grail level sativa landraces hemp is justified imo.

the academics want us to call humidity dew point. no one obliges these academics. i live in the south east usa humidity belt and no one calls the humidity dew point. no one who knows the midwest hemp strains from experience would call grail landrace sativas ( smoke strains) hemp.

THE MIDWEST HEMP IS FOR ROPE, NOT SMOKE! :)

idiit :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Ah, that way round... sorry, misunderstood you.
You know, both are called cannabis (actually Cannabis) by their botanical name. But common folks don't speak science and hence use common names, like hemp, pot or even weed. The thing with common names is that there are no rules and quite often the same name is used for completely different plants or serveral unrelated names for the same subspecies etc... That's why guys like Carl Linnaeus and alike started to introduce a strictly regulated naming system called 'botanical nomenclature' ;) .

THE MIDWEST HEMP IS FOR ROPE, NOT SMOKE!
Wrong, it WAS ;) . Today's feral hemp wouldn't make better ropes than a Skunk or a WW. Even back then, the local varieties like Chinamington had to be 'pimped up' once a decade with Chinese varieties to maintain their fibre potential. All it does today is feeding birds in winter...

idiit

Veteran
^^ i really enjoy conversations with disparate viewpoints. well rounded discussions are essential imo.

subbed and learning. :)

oldchuck

Veteran
I suspect midwestern ditch weed contains some of the most valuable Cannabis genetics on the planet. It has been attacked and stressed to extremes by the weather, the DEA, and and angry midwestern tokers for generations yet still persists in abundance. It is very tough and seems like a valuable genetic resource. Of course it is low THC and won't get you high but Cannabis is not a one trick pony. Cannabis Sativa L. has more human uses than just about any other plant I can think of from remarkably strong fiber to high protein food, to spiritual enlightenment and all points in between.

I would love to get my hands on a bag full of midwestern ditch weed seed. You do have to be careful with pollination but I think there is some gold in those seeds. THC ain't everything. THC is also pretty easy to come by.

By the way, drug Cannabis makes pretty good fiber. I've tried it. I've stripped out the fiber from some of my weed stems using traditional methods and twisted it into short lengths of string. Even a thread like piece is impossible to break with just your hands.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
^^ https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36181&page=550

from a heart felt perspective i totally disagree that hemp term is anything but confusing at best and misleading at slightly better when applied to top landrace sativas for smoke quality.
Darn, according to Hillig et al., Sam might be right...
Seems that, again, Cannabis comprises just two species. These botanists just can't come to an agreement LoL.

ECtraveler

Veteran
it's like hemp has taken on a new lustre to the point that the academics are now sayin' that cannabis sativa is hemp. these are fighting words. this is total bullshit.
Or maybe it could be that recent scientific research into cannabis genetics is coming back with unanticipated results?
When given the choice between an opinion backed by emotion and documented research I'll go with the latter every time and twice on Sunday.