What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized vs. "Normal"

Grojak

This was hard to follow and understand. Maybe I'm stoned. :comfort:

What is your position? Do you dislike feminized seeds? Like them?

Tri_Cho_Me

Personally I am against them and I've argued with people about pro's n con's of fem'd seeds before but I've moved on from there, if folks want to grow fem'd seeds than companies will put them out and I don't have to buy them :)

I like to F2 strains if they show to be stable to begin with (there have been Riot and TGA gear I would not consider based on the F1's). What this tends to do is to give me way more crosses and way more beans that i'll pop lol but hey maybe someone else will want to try one of them and find the some killer phenos. Right now I'm weeding through some Strawberry Cough x Blue Satelite 2.2 I made, I'm flowering a Double Purple Doja x Blue Satelite 2.2 I made and it's looking and smelling amazing and nothing like the DPD and nothing like the BS 2.2 females I had so I'm guessing it's leaning towards one of the 6 or 7 stains that make up that cross. Like another poster stated above the F2 will show a lot of variety and you may find the next GSC or GG4 in there (if you can build the hype machine lol just say its from So Cal)

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Out of 85-100+ fem strains I've grown, not a single hermi. -granger

Damn. Relying heavily on one (or a few) particular breeder(s), or just as numerous a number of breeders as the number of beans? I'm inclined to believe the source matters.

I'm new to fems, within the past three years. Prior to that my only experience was with DP's Strawberry Cough, as soon as made available... 2004? Somewhere around there. No hermis. The only hermis through my years of regular beans was Greenhouse's WW. In the past few years with fems, I've found some full-blown instances. Although most that have expressed are to a much lesser degree.

Fems definitely have a place; and serve a purpose.

Outdated?

Outdated?

Some of the early feminised seeds did have hermie tendencies, having said that it is also fair to say that feminised seed has improved a lot since the early days and feminised seed has simply never been as good as it is today.

This is pulled from an article from Dutch Passion published on September 11, 2011.

Perhaps I was using outdated information and had neglected to update that portion of my cannabis knowledge. Old habits die hard. Either way, I'm going to stick to regular seeds.

It's also hard to ignore all the testimonials from people who have had feminised seeds turn on them.

All of this thread really just points to the fact that cannabis should be removed from Schedule I so it can undergo thorough, scientific study. IMO

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
we have these threads now and again. fem vs regular..

tbh I think with fems, like most things, people fear what they don't understand. regular are no more stable than fems. it all depends on the selection of the plants used. if you breed with herm prone plants you will get plenty more of them and visa versa. ive had very few plants that hermed on me. but the ones which have were regs. never had a fem do that to me. that's my experience.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
All of this thread really just points to the fact that cannabis should be removed from Schedule I so it can undergo thorough, scientific study. IMO

The schedules are a joke, even if a medicine has the potential for therapeutic value it should not be there..In fact under highest international law and according to the constitutions of most UN member countries, to limit the citizens choice of medicines with drug scheduling is entirely unlawful, just most have not noticed this yet..The UN is quite aware, they have had urgent meetings in this regard already, I know lawyers that were invited to fly and attend them..but back to the schedules, they are hidden in legal speak and chemistry speak but the fact remains that they were written before the scientific knowledge we have today..Like for example the aromatic constituents of cannabis are common to most of the plant kingdom but with the wording of some countries schedules these too would be just as illegal as cannabis if people applied the law to its fullest extent.

The same application that made a magic mushroom illegal makes you illegal, as your body and brain is making DMT and related molecules right now and its normal, beta-carbolines are shutting them down and hence you are not tripping your face off like a schizo, and that is multiple schedule 1 drug manufacture and manufacture of their analogs, right now as I type this, other charges could also apply. In fact we knew nothing like what we do now when the law was made, with regards to our own chemistry and the chemistry of nature around us. How can the schedule and analogs act be applied to your biochemistry and your endogenous cannabanoids that we knew nothing about when the law was made, like our endogenous psychedelics?

Hehe. You are illegal already whether you smoke dope or not, medical or not, you are a drug factory, so would the judge be, judging you :) So is half of nature under the laws and their full and not selective application, including lemon and citrus trees and most acacias as well as most mammals and a whole bunch of seaweed, grasses, common reeds..etc.. as they make loads of the most powerful chemical known to man, but so do you ;) as well as indigenous Cites red listed plants being on the schedule where it illegal to have them on your land so you must cut them down to avoid jail but illegal under international and federal law to cut them down otherwise you will go to jail etc..what a joke, as the law can be argued to be, in any court of law. Under the current law, having a dream, being a toad, picking a lemon or leaf off a lemon tree, or mowing the lawn if the wrongs species of grass live in it, are as illegal as cultivating and then picking shrooms or picking, ie processing, some coca leaf from your shrub or growing some weed outside of a flimsy state law, DMT, psilocybin, THC and cocaine are all contained in the same schedule. In my country, for example we have had psilocybin and marijuana charges thrown out of court under the same argument that the law is non-sense and shows no logic or rational under current scientific concensus, and you can argue that it is unlawful and unjust to abide by it, quite confidently, if you have the right lawyer. No matter what country you are in unless under dictatorship or sharia law, the various drug laws can be easily shown to not follow the "Natural Logic of common sense" and hence the entire reasoning can be called into question through the higher courts, up to international court. In the one case I saw it applied at a county court (in our country- magistrates court) for shrooms, the judge apologized to my friend for wasting their time, for real, let them walk free and threw the case out. F Injustice. If you stand your ground and are well informed, you can throw the book at them! It cannot be argued in any rational way, that the UN, US etc.. drug law makes any sense under the current understanding of the chemistry of the natural world around us.

Paul Stamets the mushroom guy has a licence to grow any mushroom he damn well pleases as the last time they dragged him to court many moons ago he made a big fool of them and showed them on the front lawn of the courthouse, how the federal goverment was under the same application of the law, was by far the largest "cultivator" of shrooms around with the mulching of beds of the highways system with woodchip colonised by psilo. cyans/azures, and he showed them a few species of illegal shrooms they had "cultivated" on the lawns. Judge let him go, apologised and gave him a licence. We humans have rights, one of them is to be as we damn well please, so long we are not harming others, their property or nature.

Drug schedule, smedule, buddy. F the drug schedule! ;)

Since this in my country, my freinds took these arguments to court, that telling an adult that they cannot grow weed or smoke weed amounts to gross infringement on their human rights, many could have been argued but just that ones right to privacy was being unjustifiably infringed upon was enough. They took this argument to the highest court of the land..and won, with costs order. And now we can smoke or grow freely in our country with the previous law being changed by court order and previous state of affairs of arrest and such seen as illegal acts and harassment as it should be. For all my years of ranting on here, the highest court in our land confirmed that I was correct all along and also in the nick of time as well as I had helicopters literally hovering over my farm the week before and the s#hit was hitting the fan.

But in the end I was A OK, Shiva and all the chommies was looking after me, I stood by my guns and here I am, able to smoke and grow freely as I always did anyway..Now I can lay charges if the cops go and steal my crops! Boyaaa! Dont stand for shit from the law..F*ck illegal and unjust law..It is immoral to abide by them.

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I was referring to your comment about never using clone mothers. The method I described isn't MY method but found it interesting.. inexperience, no, just trying put out there another way to NOT run clone mothers.. are they silly? maybe in your experiences but many still maintain them.. sorry you found criticism in it..

little-soldier

but variety is always there with a new seed, regs or fems.. autos??? yes, culling males is a PITA if youre not breeding but if you are, theres no recourse.. The first fem breeder I saw (not saying he was the absolute first) was BigBuddah, I was growing his reg cheese, found that elite strain seed but was too new to this game, thought it was easy and lost the clones due to stupidity.. bought more BBC seeds but they were fems by then, never even came close again.. luck of the draw?? :dunno:. unscrupulous seed vendors are something that wasn't as common in the 90s but they were there. If I can get them, I buy regs but fems are easier on the selection process..:tiphat:

I totally agree with the fems not having the same phenos as the regs. I tried cali connection,HSO, and dr.greenthumbs blue dream and found nothing even close to the actual blue dream clone. Not to mention the hermies I got. I find that with fems, the slightest little stress and they start to herm. Also found that hairs turn brown fairly quickly starting mid flowering which inhibits bud growth therefore you get smaller buds. Never had this problem or hermies with regular therefore they are stronger and more stable. If you want more females out of your regular seeds, try using a 8000k or 10000k bulb. I always get more females with a daylight cfl compared to my hps.
There was a thread on here where someone got all females out of a 10000k bulb. Planning on doing a side by side next summer to prove this theory.
Its just a shame that companies like TH Seeds who pretend to preserve genetics when they stopped making regular bubblegum seeds. Folks might never know what real bubblegum was ever:petting:.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
tbh I think with fems, like most things, people fear what they don't understand. regular are no more stable than fems. it all depends on the selection of the plants used. if you breed with herm prone plants you will get plenty more of them and visa versa. ive had very few plants that hermed on me. but the ones which have were regs. never had a fem do that to me. that's my experience.
I agree. It comes down to the work of the breeder. Great work, no hermie issues regardless of whether they're fem or reg.

little-soldier

I agree. It comes down to the work of the breeder. Great work, no hermie issues regardless of whether they're fem or reg.

Are you saying that cali connection,HSO and drgreenthumb are shitty breeders when it comes to feminised seeds? Lol I don't know, the only way I see I could have fucked up is the fact that I like to keep my lights closer to the plants (without burning them and following the hps lument chart) Never had any issue with regular though. the worst I ever saw from regular seeds was light bleached on one of the top buds. Never a naner.

Douglas.Curtis

Are you saying that cali connection,HSO and drgreenthumb are shitty breeders when it comes to feminised seeds?
Not hardly, I have zero experience with their seeds. This is also cannabis we're talking about. Most strains considered 'stable' can be abused enough trigger hermies.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Not hardly, I have zero experience with their seeds. This is also cannabis we're talking about. Most strains considered 'stable' can be abused enough trigger hermies.
Light leak hermis!:moon: Funny how the smallest occasionally flashing light from a cycle timer, plug strip or digital readouts on electrical components can be overlooked and will hermie up any plant, no matter how stable it might be. I'd guess it's the culprit in many complaints about feminized seeds that are males but in reality, hermies.

RockinRobot

Light leak hermis!:moon: Funny how the smallest occasionally flashing light from a cycle timer, plug strip or digital readouts on electrical components can be overlooked and will hermie up any plant, no matter how stable it might be. I'd guess it's the culprit in many complaints about feminized seeds that are males but in reality, hermies.

Light leaks causing hermies is a myth at best. I have so many light leaks on my flower room you can see daylight in spots and I never get hermies. I have 3 separate strains and never get hermies.

Hermies come from bad genetics period

Douglas.Curtis

I have 3 separate strains and never get hermies.
3, out of literally what... tens of thousands of strains and combinations now? Hardly a sample size I would consider. Wait till your sample size gets quite a bit larger and you'll see differences for sure.

I too have seen strains which seemingly did not care about light leaks. On other genetics, I have also seen male flowers forming only where light leak beams directly intersect flower sites. There are a number of stressors which can cause a plant to quit forming ethylene.

Without ethylene, all your female flowers form as male flowers. This is why silver works to feminize, it blocks ethylene production.

Latest posts

Latest posts