What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Flushing

S

sativaking

Looked around the forums couldn't really find anything. What does everyone do when it comes to flushing if it was grown with organic soil and organic compost teas. Thanks for any help!

I wood

The only thing I flush is the toilet.
That is one of the benefits of organic dirt farming.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Looked around the forums couldn't really find anything. What does everyone do when it comes to flushing if it was grown with organic soil and organic compost teas. Thanks for any help!

Flushing only works with soluble nutrients, something most organic nutrients ain't. On the other hand, I think most of us stop feeding anything besides water for the last week or two. But that isn't exactly flushing, is it?

S

sativaking

Flushing only works with soluble nutrients, something most organic nutrients ain't. On the other hand, I think most of us stop feeding anything besides water for the last week or two. But that isn't exactly flushing, is it?

Well i mean i know ppl use certain products to flush it (which i dont entirely understand.. i was told years ago it strips the plant of certain beneficial things...But i forget what those things were.) I guess what I meant was yah feed it water for 3 weeks at the end...which I thought could be a form of flushing? Im still starting out so i makes the mistakes. ;)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if you feed right you shouldn't need to flush anything ...anything highly soluable should already be gone by harvest...theres not really any salt buildup to flush unlike chems...pure water for last few weeks .. I like my plants ugly at harvest...yeehaw

orechron

What do you hope to achieve by flushing? Reduction in nitrate for smoother smoke?

Flushing an organic soil mix could be bad for a few reasons, mainly:
-You're washing nutrients out of the soil that may not need to be (this is wasteful particularly if you plan to reuse the soil)
-You're limiting plant yield and maybe quality

As far as solubility goes, nutrients are soluble in the plant regardless of the source. I.e. you can water in organic fish emulsion or potassium nitrate and in a little while there will be soluble N and K in the sap of both plants. N, P, K, Mg, Ni and Mo are the solubles.

People worry about unflushed plants too much. Starving them in the last two weeks is just wasted potential. You can convert nitrate into protein with Magnesium and Molybdenum. Taking care of the excess N is the main problem.

Last edited:

Ganjaganjakush

I water with the same things veg-flower aloe,coconut, barley teas and my plants fade when they have had their fill of the buffet and die off on their own, there is nothing to flush out of the medium that would have any effect on quality,yield.

truck

I don't traditionally flush either. Use to. Then i started recycling my soil. So i just use water the last 13-14 days. after I carb load it two weeks out from harvest. but I've seen good results also going water only starting 18 days before harvest. Then hit them with a good carb load 3 days before harvest. Seems to have a bulking effect, human body builders basicly do this to cut then blow up right before a show. but too much mg can cause a harsh smoke. It can be a risky practice if you go over the top with it.

Drewsif

Nothing but water for 2 weeks is what's meant by flushing to most people. Im sure someone at high times prefers different terms, but who cares. No one is feeding excess water, they are cutting all feeds so the plant doesn't taste like chemicals, cow shit or fish guts. It doesn't matter how you grow. Feed anything late to your plant, and I'll know as soon as i taste it.

Ps that sugar feed 3 days before harvest, of course it adds weight. Sugar is heavy. Just like other bottled snake oils. The plant soaks it up.

The lab results don't lie. Those carb products do nothing but directly contaminate the bud with sugar. They dont add yield, they make your buds heavier (and inflamed, and whitish frosty looking, because they've been fed sugar water..)

Quit doing that shit. Youre killing people lungs with burnt sugars. Any amount is over doing it. I dont even believe in molasses anymore, after tasting so f'in much of it. Not nearly as bad as Sweet, Budcandy, Floranectar, and all those recycled scraps sugar water snake oil bag appeal gimmick hair thickening products. . Theres a reason subcool preaches a couple different carb sources. It effects the taste, directly... Not indirectly through some magic sugar water reaction. Its no different than spraying buds with honeywater. Just doing it through the root for complete absorption.

truck

? Its a common understanding in the grow community at large that the higher the Brix the the healthier and more potent the plant. Sugar levels or Brix levels is not what causes the smoke to be harsh. Its the ability of carbohydrates to cause excessive uptake of Magnesium into the plant. That is why I headed caution to the practice. I don't do it since i grow commercially and can't risk playing around with harsh smoke. I use to experiment when i was just playing around in my garage. I started in DWC bucket now I try to follow T.L.O and Bio Dynamic practices. But i'm sure some science guru could spend some time figuring out how to get the positive benefits of a good carb push three days out to not just get better bulk, but increase taste, smell, and potency, without the harsh smoke, win win for everyone. Results are results there is always something to be learned. As a commercial grower increased yields allow better pricing for our customers, but its only worth it if the added quality comes with the yield increase. Some people think its all about yield in commercial growing, but its really quality for most of us in the end. I quit going to certain dispenseries early on because you could tell they got to big once all the strains started looking and smelling the same. I've vowed to make sure each strain expresses itself in its own way not because i manipulated or forced it to do otherwise. I feel like my job is to lay out the building blocks for the soil and plant and le the microbes do the rest, then i just try not to over water. I truly just like growing happy plants, happy plants happy medicine, good vibes all around. I smoke my own stuff, and grow it as if it was my own. I'd never poison myself let alone anyone else, which is exactly why i got into growing in the first place. I heard what was being sprayed on crops and then i met dudes who told me what they sprayed their plants with. I quit smoking weed i didn't know who grew it or i grew myself since 2006. Thanks to Medical laws and legalization in Colorado. I only spray my plants with organocide which is a 25(b) pesticide, minute amounts of neem, calcium, kelp, fish, and a plant wash that is made from plant extracts. All our weed is tested for microbials and potency.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Drewsif; This is contrary to how organic molecules are uptaken by roots. If you are discussing soluble substances, then I see the point. Not that I encourage dosing the soil with anything prior to harvest. I'm as much opposed to those products as you.

I would certainly like to converse with any lab which states that organic molecules are taken up by roots in this fashion to the point of the plant tissue tasting like fish (hydrolysate) or molasses.

Does one taste corn in a corn fed steer? or oats or barley or grass? I guess anything is possible but I have never encountered such a thing. I met one young lady who claimed she only used hydroponically grown cannabis because she could taste the dirt in soil grown.

O

Orrie

laughing.gif

Bet it was from growing cannabis in a topsy turvy and flushing

Edit- No excessive runoff (flushing) going on in any of my containers, outside is another story especially after the rainy fall we had in the PNW.

Last edited:

HqFarms

I taste soil/dirt/earthiness in some of my strains no matter what the medium is. It's just strain not what it was grown in

Jhhnn

Veteran
I taste soil/dirt/earthiness in some of my strains no matter what the medium is. It's just strain not what it was grown in

Agreed. I really enjoy exploring the differences in modern cannabis. To do that, I want the most natural expressions I can get. I figure that's organic soil & CDM lighting simply because outdoors is impossible for us.

It's interesting to read about how other people do things, that's for sure. I confess to being a lazy grower & organic soil w/ blumats really suits my style. There are just flurries of work, not constant attention. I use occasional ewc teas but the soil mix Eighths-n-Aces taught me will carry plants seed to harvest on water alone. It's almost impossible to over water in fabric pots. I just pay attention & watch for obvious problems. When it's time to harvest, I just harvest & set up for the next batch of seeds.

I'm not as good at re-amending soil as I'd like & notice that the stuff gets too fine & holds water too well after a couple of times through. Just adding more coarse stuff doesn't really seem to fix that. When that happens, it goes in the garden & a fresh batch takes its place.

I've been lucky enough to grow some very nice weed.

Fourtay

ICMag Donor
Ps that sugar feed 3 days before harvest, of course it adds weight. Sugar is heavy. Just like other bottled snake oils. The plant soaks it up.

The lab results don't lie. Those carb products do nothing but directly contaminate the bud with sugar. They dont add yield, they make your buds heavier (and inflamed, and whitish frosty looking, because they've been fed sugar water..)

Quit doing that shit. Youre killing people lungs with burnt sugars.

Sugars are not translocated from the roots to the flowers.

O

Orrie

you have to hang them upside down in order for translocation to be effective
... according to topsy turvy girl , lol

soil/dirt/earthiness
describes my compost pile

Sweet skunk, lemon, cinnamon and lavender are the aromas I enjoy most.

Latest posts

Latest posts