What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reservoir Bugs...What the F.U.C.K. are they?!!

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
O.K., not sure what these little F.U.C.K.E.R.S. are for sure but I suspect they're thrips. They're floating on top of the water in the reservoir and barely visible to the naked eye, so I decided to make a microscope slide and see what they were.

Anyway, your thoughts on the matter would be most appreciated.

This is at 10x magnification:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
springtails, they are a relatively harmless bug.

I think you're spot on bro. I just took a looksie at images online and they are pretty dead on.
It'd make sense as well because the ebb and flow setup with hydroton I have stays fairly moist. These bugs eat the products of that moisture: mold, fungus, etc....
They're probably keeping things in check and that's a good thing.

Thanks for the info. and heads up, I wasn't looking forward to another battle with some evil nonsense bug. These can hang as long as they're comfortable and on the clock working. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts