What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch to classify super strong marijuana alongside heroin

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
Tuesday 20 November 2012

The government is planning to classify strong strains of marijuana and cannabis as a Class A drug alongside heroin and cocaine, justice minister Ivo Opstelten told parliament in briefing on Monday.

‘Hard drugs have no place in the coffee shops and in the future they will only be able to offer cannabis with a THC level of below 15%,’ the minister said. THC is the active ingredient in marijuana.

The Netherlands has some 500 cannabis cafes, known as coffee shops, where people can buy up to five grammes of the drug for their personal use.

Opstelten did not say when the THC restriction is to be introduced but according to RTL news, it is unlikely to be this year.

Dangerous

Last year a report for the government said marijuana with more than 15% THC is so dangerous it should be classed alongside heroin and cocaine.

Experts say the THC content of Dutch-grown marijuana is between 15% and 18%. Some 75% of the marijuana sold in the country's cannabis cafes is grown in the Netherlands.

Mark Josemans, spokesman for the Maastricht coffee shop owners association, said the minister is ‘doing all he can to make the illegal circuit as big as possible’.

‘Weak weed in the coffee shops, strong weed on the streets – then the choice is pretty clear,’ he told the Volkskrant. Marijuana with a higher volume of THC is not more dangerous to health, he said. ‘A user smokes less, just as people don’t drink rum out of a beer glass.’

Wietpas

Opstelten also gave more details of the cabinet’s plans to immediately drop the controversial membership scheme – or wietpas - for coffee shops, which was introduced in the south of the country on May 1.

While coffee shops will only be open to people with official documents which show they live in the Netherlands, it will be up to local authorities to decide how to introduce the new rules, he said.

Councils, police and justice ministry officials will draw up ‘good plans’ to counteract drugs nuisance, Opstelten said. ‘The best insights into which measures are effective are found at a local level,’ he said.

Councils should draw up their approach by the new year when the rules come into effect. ‘I want to see serious action,’ Opstelten said. ‘Councils will be able to draw up their own supervisory policy but the rules must eventually be phased in.'

Amsterdam

At the beginning of this month, Amsterdam’s mayor Eberhard van der Laan told the Volkskrant newspaper tourists can continue to use Amsterdam’s 220 cannabis cafes, even if they are not resident in the Netherlands.

At least 1.5 million of the city’s seven million visitors a year go to a coffee shop – the name for licenced cafes where small quantities of marijuana can be sold for personal use.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/11/dutch_to_classify_super_strong.php

Puffaluffagus

Veteran
What the hell???
It's like these guys are moving backwards.

Well fine, we can have legalized weed here in the states, and Dutch can get all anal and conservative about it.

Won't be long till people from Amsterdam start coming here for weed vacations

southflorida

Veteran
What the hell???
It's like these guys are moving backwards.

Well fine, we can have legalized weed here in the states, and Dutch can get all anal and conservative about it.

Won't be long till people from Amsterdam start coming here for weed vacations

Those Zionists know how to pull them strings all over this third rock from the sun! :laughing:

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
It's unenforceable.

What are they going to create some system/department to test all the weed in the coffeeshops?

This is a media play to the conservative base; without creating a system that comprises legal production, distribution, and sales of cannabis it is simply not possible to control all the levels of any compounds within the flowers

Even if they could create such a system, which they can't the current model, there is a simple solution:

Sell untrimmed flowers, which are typically below 15%. Users can trim their own, and this will increase the potency back above 15%.

This is just proof that decriminalization simply does not work. For years the dutch left the model open and pragmatic, and the system just rolled along.

Absolute legalization is the only solution to deal with the cannabis issue. Only under complete legalization can quality be monitored throughout the production and distribution system, ensuring compliance of the producers and retailers, and safety of product for consumers.

-Chimera

southflorida

Veteran
LMAO
My 70 year old next door neighbor and I have Zionists conspiracy theory talks all the time.

yeah...those low consciousness groups don't know that it's LOVE that is the most powerful force in the Universe and NOT money/power.

i'm not going to be the one to let them know about it though...i want them f*ckers to suffer!

...not very loving am I? :laughing:

southflorida

Veteran
It's unenforceable.

What are they going to create some system/department to test all the weed in the coffeeshops?

This is a media play to the conservative base; without creating a system that comprises legal production, distribution, and sales of cannabis it is simply not possible to control all the levels of any compounds within the flowers

Even if they could create such a system, which they can't the current model, there is a simple solution:

Sell untrimmed flowers, which are typically below 15%. Users can trim their own, and this will increase the potency back above 15%.

This is just proof that decriminalization simply does not work. For years the dutch left the model open and pragmatic, and the system just rolled along.

Absolute legalization is the only solution to deal with the cannabis issue. Only under complete legalization can quality be monitored throughout the production and distribution system, ensuring compliance of the producers and retailers, and safety of product for consumers.

-Chimera

possible they know this, but have to do something to save their political rep...after the weed-pass thingy fell through :)

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Go figure..... America also has and always have listed MJ along side heroin. Go figure.......

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

How long do these idiots have left in power in the Netherlands ?

That's just unintelligent to put cannabis alongside hard drugs like Heroin even if the cannabis was at 30% THC, then it depends on other cannabanoid profile's to make it strong to the user.

A while back I smoked some Durban Poison, THC at about 8% and it was one of the strongest smokes I've had.

I hope the political situation in the Netherlands change's soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

southflorida

Veteran
How long do these idiots have left in power in the Netherlands ?

That's just unintelligent to put cannabis alongside hard drugs like Heroin even if the cannabis was at 30% THC, then it depends on other cannabanoid profile's to make it strong to the user.

A while back I smoked some Durban Poison, THC at about 8% and it was one of the strongest smokes I've had.

I hope the political situation in the Netherlands change's soon.

these idiots have been just voted in :tiphat:

Ruosk

This is simply retarded. Then again it would seem likely they simply, in traditional dutch way, don't enforce the law too stricktly. I just hope this doesn't mean tasty imports and nice ice-o-lators disappear from the shops.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
lol i think that just brought the price per pound up a little. "i got that cocaine bud mangg $5000 a pound"

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
yeah...those low consciousness groups don't know that it's LOVE that is the most powerful force in the Universe and NOT money/power.

i'm not going to be the one to let them know about it though...i want them f*ckers to suffer!

...not very loving am I? :laughing:

This is exactly how I feel about that. I took the old adage and changed it to this: Money makes the world go 'round, but love is what makes the ride worth taking.

ya, off topic, i know

Blue Socks

They are moving backwards at an alarming rate in the NL, while it seems everyone else is progressing. How ironic that for the past 30 years Amsterdam has been a bastion of progressive values and now that the rest of the world is starting to catch up and lighten their stance on cannabis, the Dutch have decided to reverse course and start getting more restrictive with cannabis. It just makes no sense, why are they doing this is there a spike in crime or something? Or plain and simple fear mongering?

sourdpurpstick

They are moving backwards at an alarming rate in the NL, while it seems everyone else is progressing. How ironic that for the past 30 years Amsterdam has been a bastion of progressive values and now that the rest of the world is starting to catch up and lighten their stance on cannabis, the Dutch have decided to reverse course and start getting more restrictive with cannabis. It just makes no sense, why are they doing this is there a spike in crime or something? Or plain and simple fear mongering?

I'm baffled, too. It seems as though there's so much more to the story. Initially, I was under the impression that authorities had a bone to pick with tourists, but this is taking the new bans to a ridiculous level. The coffee shop culture over there was a total gem, something to be preserved, not destroyed. Bummer. Maybe it'll make it over our way now that things are starting to look hopeful here.

Agaricus

Do those wackos really believe their own bullshit? I suspect that they know the truth but choose to ignore it.

This isn't about public health or safety. It's all about power and control. Creation of asinine, arbitrary rules for the purpose of weeding out (pun intended) people who don't choose to buy the rulers' distorted version of reality.

Chimera

Veteran
It's not about power, it's about looking like you are doing something.

I met with one of the top "Drug experts" from the Dutch police this year at a conference, he gave us this US-style prohibitionist speech. I was with a few educated industry folks, intelligent science-y types, and we gave him a really hard time about the agenda he was pushing. Then I realized we were invited foreign guests in his country, and he was just doing his job giving us the facts about cannabis related crime in Holland from a policing perspective, and he was there to give the "we are doing something about the problem" speech.

At the end of the session, a couple of us pulled him aside and said 'hey man, listen we all know this is bs... and you can't possibly believe this stuff'. He finally admitted that he didn't buy into it, and that he and most other dutch citizens don't care about cannabis use, to them it's a non-issue... the real story is they get all kinds of pressure from neighbouring France, Belgium, Germany etc about the constant flow of people bringing personal amounts back on the trains. Everyday people in these countries get stopped, searched, and arrested/fined for bringing back cannabis from Holland. it's a constant hassle, and they have dogs waiting for many many trains coming out of the Netherlands.

This is a dutch drug image problem.... and I said as much to one of the dutch cannabis scientists we were with, and he said no you are wrong... we don't have a problem, you guys have the problem. If the neighboring countries didn't give us such a hassle about cannabis, it would be legal here.

This whole issue is about making it look like they are doing something, to appease the political pressure from OUTSIDE the country. If the dutch were not constantly judged and hassled about cannabis, these types of laws would never come into play.

Again, this is a completely unworkable proposal... there is no possible way they can test every batch of cannabis or hash that comes into the shops, in fact they won't even be able to test a small fraction of it... there is just way too much, and it would be way too expensive. It simply will not happen.

they may make a few raids, some spot checks, and test a few samples just to make a public show/statement, but it simply is not possible or financially feasible to set up a testing program for all weed sold in the shops.

The only way to get into that paradigm is to completely legalize the plant so they can control and monitor all the way from seed/clone to harvest, and that simply is not happening.

-Chimera

Chimera

Veteran
These are results for blinded analysis of samples purchased @ dutch coffeeshops, in comparison with 2 Bedrocan varieties 'Bedrocan' and 'Bedrobinol' which are sold by dutch pharmacies, not coffeeshops.

For more info, I have included a link to the paper below for those that want to read the whole paper. This study cost thousands of dollars, and only analyzes 11 different cannabis samples... imagine sampling 11 samples from 200 shops, every week, every new batch.... not gonna happen.

picture.php

http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2006_01_1.pdf

southflorida

Veteran
It's not about power, it's about looking like you are doing something.

I met with one of the top "Drug experts" from the Dutch police this year at a conference, he gave us this US-style prohibitionist speech. I was with a few educated industry folks, intelligent science-y types, and we gave him a really hard time about the agenda he was pushing. Then I realized we were invited foreign guests in his country, and he was just doing his job giving us the facts about cannabis related crime in Holland from a policing perspective, and he was there to give the "we are doing something about the problem" speech.

At the end of the session, a couple of us pulled him aside and said 'hey man, listen we all know this is bs... and you can't possibly believe this stuff'. He finally admitted that he didn't buy into it, and that he and most other dutch citizens don't care about cannabis use, to them it's a non-issue... the real story is they get all kinds of pressure from neighbouring France, Belgium, Germany etc about the constant flow of people bringing personal amounts back on the trains. Everyday people in these countries get stopped, searched, and arrested/fined for bringing back cannabis from Holland. it's a constant hassle, and they have dogs waiting for many many trains coming out of the Netherlands.

This is a dutch drug image problem.... and I said as much to one of the dutch cannabis scientists we were with, and he said no you are wrong... we don't have a problem, you guys have the problem. If the neighboring countries didn't give us such a hassle about cannabis, it would be legal here.

This whole issue is about making it look like they are doing something, to appease the political pressure from OUTSIDE the country. If the dutch were not constantly judged and hassled about cannabis, these types of laws would never come into play.

Again, this is a completely unworkable proposal... there is no possible way they can test every batch of cannabis or hash that comes into the shops, in fact they won't even be able to test a small fraction of it... there is just way too much, and it would be way too expensive. It simply will not happen.

they may make a few raids, some spot checks, and test a few samples just to make a public show/statement, but it simply is not possible or financially feasible to set up a testing program for all weed sold in the shops.

The only way to get into that paradigm is to completely legalize the plant so they can control and monitor all the way from seed/clone to harvest, and that simply is not happening.

-Chimera

interesting. thanks for posting this!

fungzyme

How does the Dutch citizenry feel about all this manufactured 'crisis' of potent marijuana and all the backsliding by Dutch politicians? Is this an instance of politicians needing to look 'tough' to their backers/base combined with the Dutch people having bigger things to worry about (economic troubles)? Is there going to be any popular outcry, or is it going to be largely the businesses affected by this crap who make some noise about it?