What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew - Spinosad

Ahoy!

Anyone ever heard of Spinosad? Good shit.

This is one of very few sprays on the market that utilize the Spinosad. Not going into it here.....google it if you never heard of it, great read.

So this stuff is suppose to be the shit against thrips, mites and quite a few other things.

Who has used it and who has anything intelligent to say about it one way or the other?

:)

C

chefro420

Just discovered a light thrip infestation a few weeks ago. Got some pyrethrum , azarmax and captain jacks dead bug brew. I have had leaf damage from the pyrethrum before , and after reading the warnings on the azamax I decided to wait on that too. The spinosad is great ! It's just a rare bacteria , not some nasty crap I need to worry about ingesting , inhaling, or absorbing.

I mixed a 5 gallon bucket and sprayed down every plant top to bottom , veg and all the flower except ones with dense flowers. I then sprayed down my floors and walls after too. I had a few gallons left and did a soil drench on every plant. Its 2 weeks later and not one bastard in site! No new leaf damage or black turds to be found . Going to wait another week or two and spray again. Says not to spray more then 10x a year to avoid resistant bugs. Thinking two weeks after the next spray , I will hit my veg area with a azarmax soil drench. Then maybe spray with the spinosad once a month for 5 months. I also noticed thrips on the weeds around my house. So im gonna mix a batch a douch all around my house and yard too.

jonas@diesel

???? ???????:?9-THC
Veteran
from my own experience using spinosad I had 100% success fighting Thrips... with only one application

didn't work atoll for spider mites...

cheers

ace569er

Captain is the best mite product money can buy, period. It's one of the safest pesticides know to man. You could ingest it with little ill effect. it's LSd is very high, considering what it is. It is also the safest pesticide know to man. Even safer than insecticide soaps and neem by a long shoot. not to mention it's natural, not synthetic. Has a very low accordance of immunity. Unlike, most, all other forms of treatment.
It is not a neural toxin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropod It excites the nerves system of arthropods, upon ingestion. Shutting down there brain and organ functions. With a 100% kill rate on any arthropod, who ingest it.
I have tried every product there is (except haven't tried mighty wash yet). From neem, doctor doom, promethium, soaps, ect. From countless companies. They all work very poorly(except azromax, just overpriced). They ether act to dwindle population, slowly killing them, or they hold high susceptibility to becoming immune. All are bad for humans and animals, except spinosad.
I do find it interesting that the bacterium found, to produce it was found by chance. Yet, has never ever been found in nature after it's discovery. It's just yet another creature that is still around solely because of mankind.(not saying we didn't cause it's dependency or eradication) Like silkworms, horses and so many others. It's absent from nature and dependent on man for survival.

the gnome

Veteran
from my own experience using spinosad I had 100% success fighting Thrips... with only one application

didn't work atoll for spider mites...

cheers

same here, had a heavy thrips infestation... HEAVY!
I bought spino in a bottle with a hose hook up and hit the eight 6ft tress i had and was going to do a follow up a few days later but it wasn't needed.... it was a thrips massacre :laughing:

it didn't do so well against broad mites tho...
it is very good stuff, you can put it on your veggies and only wait a day to harvest

takkada

same here, had a heavy thrips infestation... HEAVY!
I bought spino in a bottle with a hose hook up and hit the eight 6ft tress i had and was going to do a follow up a few days later but it wasn't needed.... it was a thrips massacre :laughing:

it didn't do so well against broad mites tho...
it is very good stuff, you can put it on your veggies and only wait a day to harvest
ive used monerey garden spray with spinosad for several years it does work and work fast
exploding catapillers and killing thrips onpon them eating it . its a must for me outdoors were butterflies are the enemy for sure , how ever mites it will be discuraged but they need something more like azatrol, or something equivalent .:thank you:

ace569er

You can apply at up to 20x concentration. If you use at 1-2oz(can use up 4oz per litter with no ill effect, at all) per liter, instead of per gallon. It kills better than folamite. Yet is food safe. Folamite is not food safe, at all!!! Spinosad will kill all mites in 2 application most times. 3 tops. 16$ is 12 applications at 4x strength. It's only fault is it don't kill eggs.
Floramite does not ether, contrary to most peoples belief. It's residue adsorbs in to the plant killing future feeders. For 3 months. Yet is present in chemical form in the plant for 18+ mouths. So no matter what, you are most likely smoking it. yummy. Spinosad leaves no active residue. Plus is food safe till day of harvest.

Last edited:

takkada

You can apply at up to 20x concentration. If you use at 1-2oz(can use up 4oz per litter with no ill effect, at all) per liter, instead of per gallon. It kills better than folamite. Yet is food safe. Folamite is not food safe, at all!!! Spinosad will kill all mites in 2 application most times. 3 tops. 16$ is 12 applications at 4x strength. It's only fault is it don't kill eggs.
Floramite does not ether, contrary to most peoples belief. It's residue adsorbs in to the plant killing future feeders. For 3 months. Yet is present in chemical form in the plant for 18+ mouths. So no matter what, you are most likely smoking it. yummy. Spinosad leaves no active residue. Plus is food safe till day of harvest.
i agree , they way i use floramite is once a year usually spring time, ill remove plants and turn off everything for a spring cleaning , and spray the room not the plants , i never have issues . floramite is crazy stuff so i use on room only, spinosad , or azatrol on plants , if needed.

takkada

this is good shit people , i agree with this guy, peace .:dance013::thank you:

whiteberrieS

Veteran
Any of you guys ever feel weird/off after spraying? Got a little on my hand this morning and I've been dumb all day. So yeah, has this ever happened to you? Or am I having one of those days?

V

vonforne

I am using Capt Jacks now for mites........total devastation! I mix 5 or 6 TBS per liter with 2 drops of dish soap or yuzcca extract. I rinse with fresh water and then treat with neem. Kind of a one two punch.

V

Granger2

Veteran
For mites it seems very important to use a wetting agent. I use 2 oz Green Light Spinosad/gal w/1 tsp Coco Wet. I dip the plants in a bucket of it to get 100% coverage, spray walls, floor, exterior incl. bottoms of containers. Then again in 36 hours, and a 3rd time in 48. Knocks the crap out of them. Dipping rather than spraying also washes many mites and eggs off.

So far it looks very safe, but time will tell. Let's not go overboard about eating it and shit. Proper caution is wise when using any pesticide. Also, it is not OK to use up to the day of harvest, it is OK to use ON the day of harvest. -granger

Another positive vote, wiped out my thrips with ease.

I'm battling root aphids now, anyone ever throw this at em? I only used the concentrate as a leaf spray when I had the thrips, is it ok to mix it in a watering for soil? (I gave the bottle away to a fellow grower with thrips)

FatBoi

Yeah I know they say spinosad doesn't work very well on mites, but I did have very good success with Captain Jacks. Perhaps it is some of the other ingredients that make it effective. It may not be as good as a Forbid 4F or Floramite, but it definitely works on mites in my experience.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Ahoy!

Anyone ever heard of Spinosad? Good shit.

This is one of very few sprays on the market that utilize the Spinosad. Not going into it here.....google it if you never heard of it, great read.

So this stuff is suppose to be the shit against thrips, mites and quite a few other things.

Who has used it and who has anything intelligent to say about it one way or the other?

:)

Its in my rotation of sprays for sure, BUT i fucked up bad with it last round and left the lights on, forgot. That burned the f out of them and sort of stunted them for a week, anyways i like it, in terms of arsenal.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
i dunno dude^ but thats one thing I do. I spray around the base and medium every time I do my treatments. I figure it must do some harm to them, at least that upper layer to keep them at bay.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Any of you guys ever feel weird/off after spraying? Got a little on my hand this morning and I've been dumb all day. So yeah, has this ever happened to you? Or am I having one of those days?

I worked my ass off all day and had a sun burn. my sweat soaked through my shirt. at the end of the day i sprayed some spinosad and i literally started getting sharp stabing pains everywhere. felt like the bacteria was literally eating my skin... took a shower made it worse... put on aloe cause i was burned made it WAY worse...

this has happened to me more then once but only once really really bad... seems not to like sun burnd skin