What's new

Question about unerupted seedling

adron

After successful germination, I planted on the 15th. I had another seed finish germinating later, which I planted on the 16th.

The 2nd seed sprouted and is now probably about 3" tall. The first one sprung fairly quickly to the top of the soil, but has just been sitting there still in the casing ever since. What should I do? Throw some soil on top of it?

Thanks guys

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
Try to get the casing off (be careful) don't put more soil on top.
IT has sprouted putting more soil on top will kill it

I N Hail

adron

The casing doesn't seem to want to come off. I've posted a picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3
dude let it do its thing.. i usually just let the casing fall off naturally. sometimes ill pull it off if its obviously just barely hangin on.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Carefully pry that casing off the sprout or it could die. Try to grab it with one hand and carefully pick at it with a needle or pin till it comes off. Don't damage the leaves inside that casing.

adron

I tried picking at it already, I mean I'm not familiar with the stress tolerances of the plant because I'm fairly new at this but it seems like it's on there pretty good. I dunno how I could really get it off without man handling it a bit.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Maybe a spray of water will help to soften it up. Let it soak for a bit and work it slowly.

That sprout will die if that seed cover doesn't come off.

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
i agree with pete; if it doesn't come off in a timely manner it may need some help.. They CAN get stuck and need to be removed (carefully) by hand. The seeds and new leaves need light. I;ve "waited them out" onlly to have them die because of lack of light access to the leaves.

adron

Ok so in light of what you guys have said I went ahead with some more aggressive tactics to get the casing off, and it seems to have worked, without too much stress to the seedling. here's a picture with it off, do you guys think it'll pull through?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
If it unfolds correctly (you are looking at the cotyledons.....I can't spell those..... folded over.) They should now unfold and you should see the first true serrated leaves.....(like your other one has.)

I think you and the plant are both better off if it's been stuck that way for several days. Usually mind start to be happy right after I've gotten a casing off but watch yours carefully.

adron

Word, checked it this morning before heading off to work, and it looked more or less the same... if there's no visible progress by tonight should I give up on it?

S

Seismic

I would give at least a few more days to see if it progresses. No sense in throwing it out, especially since its only a seedling, and not taking up too much room. :joint:

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
I would give at least a few more days to see if it progresses. No sense in throwing it out, especially since its only a seedling, and not taking up too much room. :joint:

I think this is very good advice......make sure she doesn't dry out OR drown and just watch her for a few days like seismic said.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mist it with some water before hand as it has most likely dried out. Rough fingers make it easy to do.

S_a_H

420oclock

You may have removed the seed, but left the membrane within the seed. I would keep it moist and then try to tease away the membrane.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
^ Yup. I had to remove stuck casings from 3 out of my 6 starts at the beginning of the month. I was a tad too rough with 1 and broke it, but the other 2 had that membrane on them. I noticed it when the cotyledons had not opened upon checking the next day after removing the shells.

If the cotyledons are not spread open by tomorrow, that membrane will be what is still holding them together. It looks kind of like a tiny coat of onion skin wrapped around the still-closed cotyledons. On the good side - the membrane comes off easier than the shell did. Tweezers or forceps work good for removal of this skin.

Stuck casings/membranes on seedlings are a quite common occurrence in my experiences... :rasta:

Peace

adron

Ok so I have to do a little more jiggering to get the membrane off? How do I know what is membrane and what isn't?

I did notice a thin layer of green stuff on the inside of the seed wall after I pried it off. Maybe I got it?

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
The skin starts up the stem where the leaves are curled up. If you ran an exacto knife or pin up the stem you could catch under the membrane and pry it off.

Spraying with water and a drop or two of dish detergent will moisten it and make it easier. The dish soap helps the water penetrate better.