What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zizu's AeroCab-GDP, M. Kush, GC

Me2

Hi Zizu
They are looking real healthy, very nice.
Not many high pressure aero grows about these days, so its great to see a good one in action. When you get the tank hooked back up the pump won`t run as often so it`ll be even quieter.
All the best for your grow, Peace

Zizu

Thanks for the compliment!

Do you run a high pressure aero system? I'm always down to hear about other peoples systems!

Me2

The setup is pretty basic, a 12v shurflo hooked up to 2x 5gal accumulators running 6 quad coolnets with inline AD40`s. I`m using a power supply similar to yours for the pump, a 12-15amp beast which weighs about 10lbs.
The pressure runs from ~90psi down to ~70psi which is where the pump kicks in.
Its not what you`d call silent running but it isnt noisy. Which pump are you running?
I homebrewed the timer as i wanted 1 sec steps for the pulse and 15 sec steps for the pause, it fires up a standard 24v solenoid valve.
I`m installing it in the greenhouse just to be different :wink:

Zizu

Nice! Sounds like a good setup. I'm running a pump from mistking. I bought their smallest one but it's dam near silent and comes with it's own power supply. They have a larger one thats 120 and supposedly pretty quiet that I've been meaning to test.

By quad coolnets do you mean the netafim quads or something else?
What are AD40's?

Here is the pump I'm running right now. I've gone thru 2 surflows and settled on this one:

http://www.mistking.com/Standard-Diaphragm-misting-pump-with-zip-drip-valve-p-16220.html

I got a long thread on the Canna cabana about dia pumps and how to dissasemble and clean them.

Me2

Looks like a good pump, 125psi should generate a nice droplet size.
Pity they`re not available over here, I`d have to import one if/when this shurflo gives out.
It would be good if they could publish a bit more technical info on the pumps and nozzles.

Yep, they are the netafim coolnet quads (7.5lph). The AD40`s are the inline adv`s,they look a little like a small egg with a small orange pin in the side.
I`m sure you use them already but if you don`t you should consider getting some.

They make a huge difference to the mist quality. When the solenoid opens, they stay closed until the pressure in the line reaches 58psi at which point they open instantly.. psssst!
when the solenoid closes the line pressure drops and the ad40 snaps shut when the pressure drops to 26psi. The result is a very sharp clean pulse of mist.
Without the adv`s the mist just ramps up and down steadily.

Zizu

Ahh yeah! Thats what I'm running. I wasn't quite dialed on the tech name! They work perfectly for regulating the pressure. I'm hoping to hook up my solenoid and accumulator tank tomorrow. I figure my system is running perfectly so it's a great time to mess with it.

Me2

I figured you would be using them, how many quads are you running?
The accumulator will do a good job of reducing wear and tear on the pump, although it sounds like yours is upto the job either way.
The only downside of altering stuff is you need to watch it run for an hour to make sure nothing blows apart or springs a leak.

Zizu

Right now I'm running only two. I have one in each root chamber which is waaaaaaay overkill. I recently blocked off two nozzels in each quad to reduce the spray a bit as my rootchambers aren't that large.

What on/off time do you run?

Do you need a chiller for your res in your greenhouse? I'm planning an outdoor setup right now for the spring and am a little worried about the heat....

Me2

They cover a fair amount of area especially if you have a lot of pressure.
I like the "little and often" approach, a short pulse time of 1 or 2 seconds and then vary the pause duration to suit the plants.
I base the pause time on the roots, if they look wet i assume they are getting more water than they can use and increase the pause duration. If they need more, just reduce the pause duration to increase the number of cycles.

The clay soil is about 50F at 4ft down, it`ll make a pretty good chiller :wink:

Zizu

Hmmm.

1 or 2 second pulses? Very interesting. I haven't heard of such short pulses before but I like it.

I run more like a 20 sec on but might give your method a try.

I was thinking about burying my res in the sand outside but it wouldn't keep it THAT cool.

Good info! I love hearing about other peoples aero setups.

Did you notice an increased growth rate when you switched to shorter mist cycles?

Me2

Sand might work if you go deep enough, and much easier to dig than this clay :wink:
Your plants look ok for 20 seconds on, how long is your off duration?

The accumulator and solenoid allow the short pulse, a pump alone probably wouldn`t cope with the abuse for too long without overheating or wearing out.
With my homebrew timer, the most i can do is a 12 second pulse. If i ran 12 sec on with 2 mins off, the 6 coolnets delivers around 5gal/hr ..that`d generate a lot of atomized mist.
The little and often approach equates to 1 sec on, 10 sec off for the same 5 gal/hr delivery rate.

Zizu

I run 20 sec on and 4 mins off. But now that I'm thinking about it a shorter duration makes much more sense.

If I can motivate my self to get some fittings I might hook my tank back up today and shorten my interval.

Sorry for all the questions but what diameter tubing do you run to your misters?

Me2

Mine is a real hotch potch of bits n pieces, i`ll be making a better job of it at some point.
The main ring is 1/2", the ad40`s fit into 15mm to 10mm compression adapters with a custom bushing to make up the difference. The line from the pump to the solenoid is 1/2" flexible and the accumulators and pressure guage attach to it via washing machine tee`s with taps. The accumulators use 1/4" tube and a 1/4" to tap adapter to connect to the w/m tee`s. Everything is held together with stainless hose clamps and blind faith..but it doesn`t leak :wink:

With the 20sec on, 4 min off timing, each coolnet (with 4 nozzles) will be delivering somewhere around 3/4 gal/hr or 17.5 gal/day, probably quite a bit more with your 8.5bar pump.

Zizu

No doubt! I need to dial it back. I was running a shorter interval but after I disabled two emitters on each Quad I increased the spray duration. :) So you'd have to half your math as I'm running two emitters each.

I started out with 3/4 inch hose all around and hose clamps but that was way overkill. I've now switched to 1/4 that feeds a manifold. Much easier to work with. I love the ease of compression fittings instead of hose clamps.

Are you a member at the Canna Cabana? It's another forum where I have some info I wrote up on different Diaphragm pumps I have tested. I have some pics on how to disassemble and clean them. Stuff like that....

Zizu

I was setting up the mistking pump for the accumulator and solenoid when I realized that it doesn't have a pressure switch. It's a bypass pump so won' t shut itself off. I could always use one of my shurflows If I wanted to go with my accumulator.

Me2

Hi Zizu
I`m not a member of Canna Cabana but it may be worthwhile duplicating your pump review over here, it sounds like useful info.
Pity about the pressure switch, i was wondering if the mist king had one and also whether the pump pressure might be too much for your accumulator tank rating. If you push them too high you`d have a potential bomb :wink:
Mine are rated for 100psi working pressure so i backed the pump down to cut out at 90psi. For safety sakes i should fit a relief valve..something else on the to-do list.

It may be better to build the shurflo/tank/ solenoid as a seperate system (plug n play?) so you don`t cause the girls any upheaval with a major system mod. It gives you a nice backup and with another timer you`d have 2 complete systems :wink:

Zizu

No doubt! When I had the accumulator hooked up with my shurflo pump I was always worried about it springing a leak and spraying the whole tank around my room. Carpet + Hydrosolution = BAD

I may whip up the pump write up here as well but I'm pretty busy at work so it could be a couple weeks.

I have all the parts for another system and am thinking about throwing it together in a couple weeks as well.

Might be a good opportunity for a write up. Do you have any shots of your system?

Me2

I`ve managed to soak the ceiling first and the carpet afterwards, not good.
I`ve no pics of my system but i`ll take some once its up and running in the greenhouse, theres no carpet in there to ruin :wink:
A write up sounds good.