What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COCO and BLUMATS FTW!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so ive done soil, coco, ebb and flow, DWC's, attempted to build an RDWC which leaked lol and after all that i find myself switching back to coco with blumats. RDWC and active hydro might be faster in terms of growth speed but coco with blumats are just so damn simple and easy i find myself headed back in that direction. i love being able to set up a huge rez and just let her rip!

the one lesson im learning right now is that if you are goin to reuse your coco you need to flush VERY well. all those late bloom flower enhancers can really leave your coco harsh.

anyways here's what i got goin right now: 4 S@nnies herijuana and 2 of S@nnies jackberry X KO kush as well as multiple FMS ak's and WW X BB's. despite the harsh nutes left behind in the coco they are recovering nicely. i just flushed the affected ones extra well with florakleen and some drip clean

i have CO2 but the climate here is such bullshit i wont be able to run it except in the veg tent where im only running 400w.....cancel that lol, i set it up just now and its so warm already it was hitting 86 degrees. oh well. no CO2 for now.

Attachments

• P4050527.JPG
    P4050527.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 80

Desert Hydro

Veteran
blumats are automated dripper that use gravity and suction from the weight of the nutrients in the reservoir and a clay cone with a pinch valve that opens and closes.

if im understanding it correctly, it goes something like this: theres a pinch valve on the ceramic cone, when the soil dries out the pinch valve opens a little releasing nutrient out the line until the soil becomes wet. when it becomes wet enough to cause the clay cone to swell it pinches the valve closed thus only watering when the plant wants it. my plants were so healthy on them i had roots soming out of the soil into the air reaching for the dripper lol

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i dont wanna sound like the blumat nazi lol but they really are awesome. best 75 dollar investment you will make in your garden. pick your rez, run your feed line and install your drippers. it takes a few days to dial em in but when they are spot on you can leave for days at a time with no fear of underwatering. FTW!! lol

my lil ones will get transplanted into 5gal buckets of straight coco as soon as they are to size. ive also been contemplating using the reusable grocery shopping bags as grwo containers. they are recycled plactic and porous enough to drain i think. should be like a 99cent smart pot

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
nice! about to try out the blumats in coco as well...

glad to here positive remarks about them.....

Desert Hydro

Veteran
glad to see you here krunch. ive been around here for a little while as a different user name and your grows are always impressive as all hell. look at lazymans grows. he does blumats on large scale with multiple 55gal reservoirs, auto top offs, the works.

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
Blumats are the way to go with coco. If I didn't have issues with getting rid of coco (nosy neighbors) I would still use that setup. Made the switch to hydro recently. Anyways, your coco looks a little dry, make sure your ceramic sensor didnt suck up the water! Good luck with your grow.

Peace,
Ruger

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i had over two gallons of runoff in my drain pan. i think they are fine. pots are heavy. RH is super low and tons of air movement i think is why they look dry

How far does the 75 dollars go for the blutmats... getting my coco on soon and would be awesome to have the freedom to leave for a couple days. Saw bobbleheads big thread and what he said about his blutmat usage seems pretty legit.

I have a pump with a dripper system right now, which might work on timed intervals in a way... yet that can't compare with the blutmat technology.
Thanks.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
75 dollars gets you a deck and patio kit with 12 blumat drippers. just make sure you get the deck and patio kit or the "tropf" as they call it in austria where they are made. there are only a few companies that import them so just look around. i believe i got mine at planet earth hydro online but sustainable village carries them online as well. heres a pic of the box as well as some of S@nnies killing fields grown out with blumats, coco and house and garden nutes:woohoo:

Attachments

• P9300451.JPG
    P9300451.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P9300453.JPG
    P9300453.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 107

Desert Hydro

Veteran
ive been thinking i want to build something lately so i think im either going to straight up build another of ticks sogg'n box or modify a dresser type piece of furniture into a stealth 250W or 400w grow just for fun. when my current run is done in 2 weeks i think i will start the build. i want to break a personal GPW record which shouldnt be too hard since ive been pretty low in the past lol. gonna run my full indica AK bitch single cola style SOG

Desert Hydro

Veteran
heres a look at my bitches right now. the back three are FMS ak47 and the front three are FMS ww x bb. im keeping front right and left as well as back left plants. S@nnies gear is vegging and soon to take over my flower room im sure. his gear is always top notch. 2/3 of my ak's were hermies but they are still impressive plants none the less. i wish they werent because they are going to be such nice yielders :( i wasnt all that impressed with the supposed yield of the WW X BB. i will soon be ordering some of moscas gear. i hear very good things about his lines. these plants have been through a lot of crap. system changes, moves, and all kinds of other crap. perhaps they will perform better in coco next round. only time will tell ;)

stay tuned for the herijuana and jackberry kushes. they should be straight FIRE!

Attachments

• P4060531.JPG
    P4060531.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 86
Blumats are the shit :yay:

I have all my mothers on them and once a week i top off the rez and thats all i ever have to do

Been thinking about ditching flood & drain in the flower tent and going with coco and blumats

best...shit...ever

bye1

I like the sound about blumats and it seems the give fucking nice result.
want to try on a couple of plants this run.
How high above the blumat drippers do the res need to be?

Peace
are green

Desert Hydro

Veteran
ive got a five gal bucket as a rez on my 2x4 veg tent and its about 2-3 feet higher that the drippers. i have a plastic shelving unit beside my tent and the res just sits on the top shelf.

there is a thread on here i believe its call the blumat auto watering thread or something like that. its like a hundred pages long lol. i read that bastard multiple times i shit you not and then placed my order and by the time they got here i knew how to do everything with them. theres even cool mods like quick disconnect fitting for the res so you can do clean outs and nute swaps and such.

oh and i HIGHLY reccomend drip clean from house and garden nutes. it works wonders for keeping the dripper lines from accumulating salt build up or clogs. it also keeps the medium free of salt build up as well. ive had to chop plants with no flush before and with the drip clean and a good cure no one even knew the difference ;)

PS u should only run chem ferts OR plain water(if you run a prefertilized soil like moonshine mix) through them. organics have too many gunky formulas that easily clog the little drip lines

i am by no means the blumat expert around here but ive done a few rounds so if you have any q's please ask

G

GOOROO

been trying to dial canna a+b and calmag only with bulmats in coco.....trying to simplify as much as possible. Flavor is up as well as yeilds

proving to produce magnificent results. Highly recommended and keep in mind less is more with these things because the plants get water when they need it.

Canna needs to be dumped and refreshed every 5-7 days so I usually set the rez at the desired ppm and let it top off with ro till it gets to around half or 2/3 of what I started at. Dump it and mix a fresh rez.

what nutes is everyone else using with blumats?

oh and i HIGHLY reccomend drip clean from house and garden nutes. it works wonders for keeping the dripper lines from accumulating salt build up or clogs. it also keeps the medium free of salt build up as well. ive had to chop plants with no flush before and with the drip clean and a good cure no one even knew the difference ;)

I've been reading about the drip cleans and their importance... now is there anything else with the blutmats one should get right away. Can you get extra tubing more or less at a common store if you need it?

I'm running Canna A + B without the cal mag right now... plants are monsters after 10 weeks with these nutes.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I've been reading about the drip cleans and their importance... now is there anything else with the blutmats one should get right away. Can you get extra tubing more or less at a common store if you need it?

I'm running Canna A + B without the cal mag right now... plants are monsters after 10 weeks with these nutes.

the tubing is propietary and can only be gotten from them. the brown spaghetti tubing is the one you need extra of if anything. its nice to have about a foot of tubing on each dripper so you can move the pots around and what not but you can get by without the extra with good planning.

you can use any chemical ferts with these drippers. ive seen all kinds used. id like to try out canna but its kinda like buying seeds.... there are so damn many to choose from i feel lost.

i will say this though, if you are using coco you should stick with coco nutes. i still find myself adding calmag even to coco specific nutes

Latest posts

Latest posts