What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can i take clones the day before i put my plant to flower?

yahooman

i have a green crack mom that im taking clones from tomorrow,will it affect yield much if i put it to flower 1-2 days later?
im going on a fishing trip on may 29th,its a 55 days finisher so ill have over a week to dry the buds before i leave,i want to bring weed on my trip,,,

do you think it will yield ok?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 10

troutman

Seed Whore
Yes, it's preferable that you do so. :tiphat:

Clones that are in vegetative mode root faster and grow better.

Too many people have lost special plants because they didn't revegetate well after flowering.

So yeah, take clones before you flip the lights and save your special plants.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
an alternative is to flip first.
a plant changes up it's production of phytohormones and cytokinins during transition to flower.
they promote root growth and cell division, which is what you're looking for when cloning, giving a better chance of surviving that brutal act.

do it both ways and report your experience here...

be well

Taking cuttings anytime from before you flip to about 4 days after shouldn't make too much difference. After 5 days they can take forever to get going as they began to prepare for flowering prior to being cut.

I would not take your best branches as cuts as it is not ideal to tip (top) branches following flip - it will cut your yield. I would flip them then take my cuttings from smaller branches half way down the outside of the plant.

Cheers :)

Jhhnn

Veteran
If your plants are like mine you want to trim away lower growth at the start of flowering to avoid small larfy buds where they don't get much light. Use the trimmed branches as cuttings.

yahooman

im a pretty good grower,ive just never taken clones right before the flip before....i figure the stretch will compensate,especially for a sativa dom strain

yahooman

aww damn,ill take the clones,but ill wait a week to flower....its a pretty vigorous grower......if i lose some end yield i can deal with that....im also putting 6 skunk va's(chem91 skunk va x isp chem91 bx3)into flower...im expecting some fire from those. so ill have enough herb for my trip....thanx for your advice guys....respect

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
The cuttings you take now factors to future yield.

In a plant's lifetime it's cuttings yield can be measured in multiple pounds.

The reasonable reduced yield in this plant is nothing compared
to the next grow cycle from the cuttings you take now.

Take the cuttings.

Betterhaff

Veteran
That plant looks like it could use some pruning, trim it back to the strongest branches. Save the best trim for your clones.

A way to look at it is to think of fruit trees. They are pruned so more energy goes to producing the best possible fruit as opposed to a whole bunch of smaller, inferior ones.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i reviewed my biology posted up there^^^ and i stand corrected.
removing the slip from the plant disrupts the balance of cytokinins/auxins.
auxins from the apical meristem move to regrow lost root capacity to produce cytokinins/phytohormones to restore balance.

whew, that was close

M

moose eater

If your plant is bushy enough to take 30 clones and not totally diminish your prime colas, then go for it.

Even if you think it's insufficient in terms of primary colas, you can take cuttings from the branches near the base of the plant, that would probably get pruned later in bloom anyway.

As others have said, your plant will provide more hearty clones if taken from the plant during veg cycle, or immediately after going to 12:12. But I've known folks who lacked proper space for mothers, who took cuttings from the under-branches a quarter to half-way through flower, and have done well with them, despite it taking longer to get the plant's cuttings out of flower mode, and back into veg mode in that process.

So the short answer is, "Yes, you can take cuttings from your plant the day before you go to 12:12."

The only issues are, where are you taking them from, and will your method disrupt too many of your primary/preferred bud sites, such as your primary colas.. which is avoided by taking cuttings from the lower branches at ANY phase of the plant's growth.

Happy farming!!:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts