What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Still no pre-flowers at week 7...?...Some questions....

I'm coming up on 7 weeks since germination and so far only one plant out of five is showing distinct pre-flowers, and it is a female.

The strain is "Lemon Wookie Glue"...The grow is outdoors.

On the other 4 plants I can not see any sort of pre-flowers at all. I'm using a basic 10x scope, but I can not see any pre-flowers forming...With the one plant that has shown female pre-flowers, I can see them clearly without a scope, they are very distinct and visible.

Can male pre-flowers be drastically smaller than female pre-flowers to the point they are difficult to see, even with a scope? I've looked at photos of male preflowers and they don't look much smaller than a female. I am just wondering if maybe the males have already shown their pre-flowers but they're so teeny tiny I just can't see them?

I've heard males will always appear first...Is this always the case?...And if so, since that one plant has turned out to be a female, can I safely assume the rest of the plants will turn out to be female as well? Or do males sometimes appear late/after females have shown?

Within the same batch of seed of the same strain can some female plants take a lot longer than their sisters to show pre-flowers? Or do they usually all display their sex within a few days of eachother? Or is it possible for a male to show up long after the females have clearly displayed their sex?

Is it possible that within the same strain/batch of seed, some plants will never show pre-flowers at all until it comes time to flowers in August?

This is my first time growing from seed, just wondering what's going on here?

I'm in the situation where the plants are starting to outgrow their pots and become bound up and I need to transplant them ASAP, but I don't want to end up wasting space with a plant that might turn out to be a male (I only have 6 pots and a 6 plant limit).

I was thinking about transplanting two of them and just hope they show female pre-flowers sometime soon...because I don't want them wasting time in small pots if they do turn out to be ladies....but then I don't want to waste an entire pot and all that time & resources growing a plant that turns out to be male come August.

troutman

Seed Whore
Unless it's an Auto, it won't flower until the photoperiod is at or below 12 hours usually.
The outdoor strain I like growing won't flower until some time in July. So don't give up
hope just yet. Summer just started.

Unless it's an Auto, it won't flower until the photoperiod is at or below 12 hours usually.
The outdoor strain I like growing won't flower until some time in July. So don't give up
hope just yet. Summer just started.

I'm talking about pre-flowers, the flowers the plants show once they are "sexually mature" . A single calyx with two pistils (female).

Many sources, including a handful of folks from this place, say that pre-flowers will usually show up around 4 to 7 weeks after germination for most strains...regardless of the amount of sunlight the plants receiving.

The days around my area are almost 15 hours long with almost 16 hours of visible light, and I do already have female pre-flowers on one plant that appeared about 5 days ago. (The seeds were germinated at the beginning of May)

My plants started to stretch and transition to flower around the beginning of August last year, and IIRC we were still getting about 14 hours of day light at that point.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
It can take up to 8-10 weeks.

I was in the same boat, had seeds under 18 hours and at 8 weeks some still haven't shown signs yet, so i set the clock back to 15 hours for a week to 10 days and started seeing what was what.

How many hours of light have they been getting from the start?

right

I usually see preflowers on the 4th node up . Males are harder to spot.sativas take longer in my experience . An unhealthy plant will mature slower.

thailer

i just popped 18 beans and at 5 weeks they started showing sex except for two plants. everyone told me they would be female but one of them finally showed male parts at 9 weeks. the other was female. usually they are female though. sex parts can be seen easier on areas that have node spacing that mature with the alternating nodes and not double branches at each node. hope that makes sense. a scope helps me pick up the small pistils that aren't very apparent yet.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some plants, even from seed, do not show any preflowers. I have vegged plants from seed for well over 2-3 months with no sign whatsoever until flip.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I would think about re-potting asap, before flowering begins. Depending on the genetics, fresh soil may be too hot on nutrients for flower and affect the end quality of your flowers.