What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nevil's haze x Panama, Purple Satellite, Honduran x Panama, OTH Outdoors/Greenhouse

SolarLogos

G' day mate!
The deformed leaves could spell two things,a minor and a major one, the former being cantankerous of a plant that will recede in due course and the latter symptoms of an invisible munching creature attack... I pray for the former...
smile.gif

tiphat.gif
orf

Was my thoughts too... there’s no burn or chlorosis or anything to indicate nutritional problem... I would inspect for nasties.
I think Molybdenum deficiency can cause tips to twist as nitrate (or nitrite? I gotta read my books more often..) builds up but I also thought it would burn a bit.

Edit: heatwave cooked some roots maybe?
Good day Orfeas and Yukon. Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you. After reading your post, I went out (1:30am here), brought the two plants into the garage. I did an overall inspection with led glasses at 3.5x, then scoped them with a 60-100x handheld microscope. Surprised, not a sign of anything, no bugs, no damage to be found. I gave them a little spray down anyways. Those are still excellent ideas I will store away for future use. I suspect it is something with just the HxP, as they are the only one's affected and they are all together. We will see how the 5 new HxP looks like when they get this size. The leaves do have a nice healthy green to them. No signs of deficiencies anywhere, unless this is a sign of a deficiency. I do plan on starting the HxP and PS tomorrow on 300 ppm of some Mexican Bat guano and fish emulsion, as they are only getting water and feeding off of the EWC and Bat Guano I mixed into the peat.

Thank you again my friends.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Was my thoughts too... there’s no burn or chlorosis or anything to indicate nutritional problem... I would inspect for nasties.
I think Molybdenum deficiency can cause tips to twist as nitrate (or nitrite? I gotta read my books more often..) builds up but I also thought it would burn a bit.

Edit: heatwave cooked some roots maybe?
Another good idea, but it's new growth that is deformed, not just leaf curling, but also a lot of twisting and irregular shapes. When I transplanted them, the roots were just starting to reach the cup walls, so there is a lot of dirt surrounding them from the heat, but I watered them yesterday and I've been moving them to the shade in the late afternoon. Perhaps a fungus, similar to Taphrina deformans, peach leaf curl. It's probably genetic, but I can spray it with copper and see if there is an effect.
Peace, God bless

orfeas

Veteran
^^^ been having constant trouble with the particular fungus on my peach and prunus sativa trees, bloody difficult to ostracise the bugger, a lot of chem spraying needed starting winter up to spring... hopefully that's not the case there...
I too had some seedlings going that way and I remember using aspirin trying to help them get over it. Eventually they recovered but I can't say it was aspirin that did the job...

:tiphat:orf

therevverend

Veteran
I agree with Orfeas, could be fungal. Or viral. If it was animal you'd either see it or the leaf would be chewed or change color. If it's only one strain that has the deformity it could be a mutation specific to it, sort of a marker that shows up on a percentage every generation. I have a Grape Ape x Bubblegum in which a certain % will variagate. The ones that are real Afghani throwbacks, very wide leaves. Large amounts of Magnesium and some Potassium will cure it almost completely. Those big leaf cabbage plants eat you out of house and home. Turned me into an Epsom Salts freak.

Maybe a thing here, a major or minor nutrient could fix it. The other plants don't need it, or at least don't need it in the amounts your mutants do. Maybe the nutrient that controls the formation of new leaves? Phosphorous I'm guessing. It also might boost the plants immune system to help it fight off what might be attacking it. Maybe a light dose of a fishy/kelpy type fertilizer if you have it.

SolarLogos

^^^ been having constant trouble with the particular fungus on my peach and prunus sativa trees, bloody difficult to ostracise the bugger, a lot of chem spraying needed starting winter up to spring... hopefully that's not the case there...
I too had some seedlings going that way and I remember using aspirin trying to help them get over it. Eventually they recovered but I can't say it was aspirin that did the job...

tiphat.gif
orf
Interesting about the aspirin. An aspirin has long been recommended to help cut roses and flowers stay fresh longer so you might have something there. One aspirin in a vase (~1 liter.)? I'm giving that a try, thanks my friend.
My neighbor gets peach leaf curl every year and his tree has a branch that over hangs my fence. I've told him how to treat it many times but he doesn't. That's why I mentioned fungus. I did a google search and couldn't find anything about cannabis getting Taphrina deformans, but wondered if anyone was familiar with this or a fungus that would cause this. I've seen this before, but not this severe and it always straightened itself out, but these don't seem to get getting better.
I agree with Orfeas, could be fungal. Or viral. If it was animal you'd either see it or the leaf would be chewed or change color. If it's only one strain that has the deformity it could be a mutation specific to it, sort of a marker that shows up on a percentage every generation. I have a Grape Ape x Bubblegum in which a certain % will variagate. The ones that are real Afghani throwbacks, very wide leaves. Large amounts of Magnesium and some Potassium will cure it almost completely. Those big leaf cabbage plants eat you out of house and home. Turned me into an Epsom Salts freak.

Maybe a thing here, a major or minor nutrient could fix it. The other plants don't need it, or at least don't need it in the amounts your mutants do. Maybe the nutrient that controls the formation of new leaves? Phosphorous I'm guessing. It also might boost the plants immune system to help it fight off what might be attacking it. Maybe a light dose of a fishy/kelpy type fertilizer if you have it.
Thanks Rev, I fed them early yesterday am and as per your recommendation. They got Mexican Bat guano, Fish emulsion and Kelp Green for a total of 500 ppm at 6.7 pH (my guano and fish are premixed in the bottle). Looking at them this morning, they seem to be worse, but more time is needed. Thanks for your help my friends, it is always greatly appreciated. I will keep the progress updated.
Peace, God bless
Edit: I did some research that warned against using copper fungicide on cannabis. I am still leaning genetic mutation, since it's only the HxP so far. We will see how the new HxP develops.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi SolarLogos,

Nice to see the new outdoor family growing up :)

I don't see any pests or fungus sign in your Honduras x Panama ...
looks like a mutation in early seedling stage ... let's how both evolve ....
usually vigorous sativa hybrids outgrow mutations in seedling stage when they grow a bit more and they reach sexual maturity.

SolarLogos

Hi SolarLogos,

Nice to see the new outdoor family growing up :)

I don't see any pests or fungus sign in your Honduras x Panama ...
looks like a mutation in early seedling stage ... let's how both evolve ....
usually vigorous sativa hybrids outgrow mutations in seedling stage when they grow a bit more and they reach sexual maturity.
Thank you very kindly for your reply Dubi. I've had this before, but just not to this extent and as you said, they did outgrow it. I haven't had it as bad as this, so that was the reason for concern. Glad to know it will outgrow it also. This is the kind of knowledge I am always seeking.
Thank you again and everyone else for your kind assistance and input.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Up OTH

Up OTH

Everything adjusted to the new soil pH. I top dressed the OTH with 1/2 inch of EWC a week ago and they took off. I've seen growth in them each day for the past 3 days. I removed the bottom two nodes of each plant as they were barely visible and too small. I topped them last night and put the tops into the clone chamber. I kept 3 healthy nodes on each plant to force them to branch. You can see in the pictures, there is very little branching so hopefully I can control the stretch. One has nice branching, with the bottom branches about 6 inches long. Here they are from last night before getting topped.

The clones are happy and have stayed at 99% RH, 82-85 F for the past 24 hours under T8 flouros. They are in Rapid Rooters and still nice and sturdy. I gave the seed plants a good drink the night before taking the clones. I clone the same as everyone. I sterilize everything, even the measuring spoons, spray bottles, etc. I washed the plants a half hour prior with insecticide soap and washed the area I cut just before taking the clones. So far, no wilting. They are on 24/0 lights until tomorrow, then to 16/8.

The Hondura x Panama and the Nevils Haze x Panama have very small branching and are about the 6-7th node before the crown. They are much more compact though, so I will take clones from the tops tomorrow. Here is a couple of them:

The Purple Satellite is growing tall and with very little branching, similar to the OTH. They all have purple stalks or purple stripes. I will get them all together later for a group picture. Here is a couple of them.

I will update more in the next day or two.

Daylight hours: 14 hours, 7 minutes.
RH: 40-55%
Soil Medium: Peat with 10% worm castings, 3/4 cup bat guano per 7 liters of soil.
Feeding: De-chlorinated tap water, no nutrients. OTH has only been top dressed with EWC. Gave 430 ppm organic grow formula, pH 6.8 to HxP and PS. PS clawed and I had to flush. HxP loved it. Purple Satellite is a little sensitive at this stage. I will have to go real slow with them.
Pest Management: Insecticidal soap every other nite
Temperatures: 77-83F/25-28.5C
Peace, God bless

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Purple Satellite

Purple Satellite

Purple Satellite are doing very well, just top dressed with EWC and pH water. The tallest ones have mostly green stalks with some purple stripes. The two smallest have all dark purple stalks, so I don't know if that means they lean towards the Oaxaca Gold Purple pheno or not, but time can tell. Here are all the PS.

They are all quite spindly with very little branching. I plan to take clones tomorrow. I've already removed the lowest 2 sets of branches as they were either too small or hadn't even started branching. The third node from the bottom are the largest branches so I will keep nodes 3-5. All of them have the purple color in the crown:

Here is the runt with the purple stalk, the bottom two sets of leaves.branches have also been removed:

Honduran x Panama in the next post.

SolarLogos

Honduran x Panama

Honduran x Panama

The Honduran x Panama are doing nice and are actually very easy to grow. I gave them a light feeding a week ago to see if they could handle it and they did fine (about 400 ppm). They actually don't need any feeding; the EWC and bat guano in the mix and the EWC top-dressed seems to be plenty for them. I removed the bottom sets of branches on all but one, as the rest of the plants are branching nicely now. I plan to take clones and keep only 3 nodes of branching on these as well. They grow pretty compact for a pure sativa and seem quite strong and vigorous. Excellent genetics so far.

Peace, God bless

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Update

Update

We were in the mid 80's, then 12 days ago the temps dropped and we have been averaging about 65 F for a week. Right now there are thunderstorms and a lot of hail. It's been cold and rainy here for a few days.

I took advantage of a small break in the weather and found what appear to be a few male preflowers, both on 2 Purple Satellite and 2 OTH. Nothing showing on the HxP, but they are looking very healthy and stout. Very solid genetics, the best of the bunch so far I think. Here is a pic of PS

Right now we are at 14 hours 23 minutes of daylight and increasing. I will update when the weather gives me another chance.

Peace, God bless

P

psilocybevybe

reminds me of monecious sexual expression in some south american chemotypes,
single male flowers were below where the petiole joins the main stem

xx +xx

SolarLogos

reminds me of monecious sexual expression in some south american chemotypes,
single male flowers were below where the petiole joins the main stem

xx +xx
Your right and it's too early to tell really. I've never seen males show this time of year, so I will have to let it grow a little more. That one on the left is a 3 cluster. My eyes are not so good at seeing up close.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

2 OTH clones have rooted. I have a new tag system I'm using this year. No more missing tags.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Nevil's Haze x Panama Goddess

Nevil's Haze x Panama Goddess

Weather has been ranging from a couple days at 60F for the high, some days mid-70's. Plants have been in the greenhouse and loving the humidity. I fed all of them 3 days ago with ewc, bat quano tea. There is noticeable growth daily now.

Here is the NHxP

Her internodes spacing is stretching, but she is branching nicely while being pinched every 3 sets of nodes.

Next up, Purple Satellite.

SolarLogos

From left to right starting in the back row is Purple Satellite 1-4. Front row, from left to right, 5-7.

Plants 1 and 4 are males and 2,3 and 5 are females. Plants 6 & 7 have not shown any sex traits. They are also the all purple pheno and much shorter. I've been studying the leaves on Oaxaca plants and I'm pretty sure the shortest plant, #7 leans that way.

Here is an almost all green pheno, very little purple. This is #4, the male

Here is the short, purple #7

Daylight hours today:14 hours, 36 minutes

Thanks for stopping by.
Peace, God bless

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Oaxaca is cool where did you get the seeds man thats a legendary strain cant wait to see the flowers.
I know its a while to go yet but worth waiting for.

SolarLogos

Oaxaca is cool where did you get the seeds man thats a legendary strain cant wait to see the flowers.
I know its a while to go yet but worth waiting for.
That is the Purple Satellite my friend from Ace. It is Vermontman's 79 Oaxaca IBL Gold Purple Pheno (It's his SkullF$#@ I believe, we have some interesting articles under the Purple Satellite thread on how Vermontman found it), crossed with a highland Nepalese Sativa. I believe #7 may be a very Oaxaca pheno based upon physical description. I should rub the stem and check the smells.
Good to hear from you.
Peace, God bless

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
back at the end of the 70s we used to get a lot a columbian gold and i believe a few time we got a cpl lbs of the Oaxaca Gold .it had a spicy hashy taste and a soaring high but very stoney at the same time

SolarLogos

back at the end of the 70s we used to get a lot a columbian gold and i believe a few time we got a cpl lbs of the Oaxaca Gold .it had a spicy hashy taste and a soaring high but very stoney at the same time
The only way I can describe the 70's is "Magic". There was just special about the 70's. I don't remember the specific smells from back then, but high I've been chasing since. I was walking home down this dirt road after smoking Oaxaca the first time. It was hard walking because my foot would hit the ground while it felt like it was still a foot off the ground. I knew it was on the ground because this loud thud would echo and vibrate up my leg and out the top of my head with every step. I think this years grow will take me back there, I hope.
Thanks for sharing that my friend.
Peace, God bless