What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Not Shake This Calcium Deficiency/Lockout For The Life Of Me!! Why???

beta

Veteran
Beta I know you're trying to help and I honestly appreciate it man, thanks bud. Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread? It is getting long now lol.

My co2 generator was hooked up to my co2 meter/controller and set at 1500ppm(and doing as much). 2 and a half weeks ago I unplugged it because it was mentioned in this thread that 1500ppm might be too much(toxicity).

Now you're suggesting that it doesn't have enough(deficient). If the problem was either one of those things I'd at least see different symptoms in the plants themselves.

It's not co2.

Multiple people (including myself) have mentioned they have trouble with propane C02 burners - They emit ethylene, which builds up and displaces C02.

PLEASE consider the possibility that your C02 gen was malfunctioning, which is very common. If it was malfunctioning (rather than C02 being toxicly high, which 1500ppm is not), then your plants could not breathe and they still can't.

Rabbi

Multiple people (including myself) have mentioned they have trouble with propane C02 burners - They emit ethylene, which builds up and displaces C02.

PLEASE consider the possibility that your C02 gen was malfunctioning, which is very common. If it was malfunctioning (rather than C02 being toxicly high, which 1500ppm is not), then your plants could not breathe and they still can't.

Well according to my meter/controller and eyes(nice blue flames) it appears to be working fine. That plus the other things I mentioned leads me to believe it's time to look elsewhere.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. Totally wouldn't of been surprised at all if it would of been a a co2 issue of some sort.

Good looking out, thx dude.

beta

Veteran
Well according to my meter/controller and eyes(nice blue flames) it appears to be working fine. That plus the other things I mentioned leads me to believe it's time to look elsewhere.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. Totally wouldn't of been surprised at all if it would of been a a co2 issue of some sort.

Good looking out, thx dude.

Both times I had a malfunctioning C02 burner it looked fine to me too. It was even producing C02.

You have obviously decided that you know best, so I'll stop wasting my time. Good luck with your issue.

Rabbi

Both times I had a malfunctioning C02 burner it looked fine to me too.

You have obviously decided that you know best, so I'll stop wasting my time. Good luck with your issue.

lol, don't be like that bud. I really do appreciate your effort to help me man. Didn't mean to come off the wrong way, I just really don't think it's a co2 issue based on what i've tried and seen to this point.

I am thankful for every suggestion I receive from other people when I reach out for help. Some work, some don't. It's all part of hammering out solutions.

DiverDave

Dude, you are not getting this. If your C02 burner is malfunctioning, that does not cause a toxicity of C02. It causes a lack of C02 (the gas plants breathe). If your C02 burner was malfunctioning, your plants had nothing to breathe. Turning the C02 burner off DOES NOT FIX THIS PROBLEM. Turning the C02 burner off leaves you in the exact same situation - The plants have nothing to breathe. Your plants NEED C02 supplementation OR fresh air. One or the other. Plants cannot grow without C02. You have no source of C02.

I honestly don't get why this is so difficult for you to understand.

I think in simpler terms , use a fan from outside and feed air in , and later use the CO2 to bustle growth.
In RDWC & DWC you can use air pumps and stones to feed air to roots.
I like the 4" circles .. and a 6 way manfold w/ pump.
Be sure to leave pump on 24/7 (always) or you will see root rot in awhile.
Then when you think you got that , you find out that root growth is slowed in flower mode when trying to recover from PH imbalance.

I thought why prolong this unless you got faith she's holding on ..
Just figured I learned something.

I killed grow.
Then cleaned up to try again.
I think what I was trying to say mostly was you can help growth with fresh circulated air as nature would have it , artificial like air stones & fans.

I'm hanging in to see where this goes. :tiphat:

DD

LostTribe

Premium user
lol, don't be like that bud. I really do appreciate your effort to help me man. Didn't mean to come off the wrong way, I just really don't think it's a co2 issue based on what i've tried and seen to this point.

I am thankful for every suggestion I receive from other people when I reach out for help. Some work, some don't. It's all part of hammering out solutions.

I only brought up the co2 usage as it will cause your plants to metabolize roughly 20% faster which correlates to 20% more nutrient needs per day. PPM on co2 should equal your PPM on your rez with everything else working properly environmentally and biologically.

I would assume you have a root disease. I would have already been treating for something by now. You need to find an algicide/bactericide/fungicide something usable thru harvest.

I have gone after things in the root zone with h202, Bleach, Pool shock(not good results there), SM90(definitely try) and Botanical Hydroguard(Bennies that can eat up the bad roots and pop new ones). Either works or doesn't. If some are beyond help they are beyond help. If you cull and start over I would sanitize and start with something strong and taper off. Like...

Zerotol 2.0 does them all and OMRI listed
flying skull nuke em fights fungus and also insecticide for IPM.

I'd start with some SM90. Go from there. Its made from coriander seed smells like concentrated sweet lemon cleaner. The longer you go without treating a root problem the worse it will get and it will be a mess to clean up with larger numbers.

Rabbi

I only brought up the co2 usage as it will cause your plants to metabolize roughly 20% faster which correlates to 20% more nutrient needs per day. PPM on co2 should equal your PPM on your rez with everything else working properly environmentally and biologically.

I would assume you have a root disease. I would have already been treating for something by now. You need to find an algicide/bactericide/fungicide something usable thru harvest.

I have gone after things in the root zone with h202, Bleach, Pool shock(not good results there), SM90(definitely try) and Botanical Hydroguard(Bennies that can eat up the bad roots and pop new ones). Either works or doesn't. If some are beyond help they are beyond help. If you cull and start over I would sanitize and start with something strong and taper off. Like...

Zerotol 2.0 does them all and OMRI listed
flying skull nuke em fights fungus and also insecticide for IPM.

I'd start with some SM90. Go from there. Its made from coriander seed smells like concentrated sweet lemon cleaner. The longer you go without treating a root problem the worse it will get and it will be a mess to clean up with larger numbers.

Yes, I'm thinking it's a pythium issue now. I ordered some "Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide" the other day so hopefully that works. Problem is I live in Canada so might take a while to make it's way through customs. For the time being I'm just using h202 until it gets here.

gmanwho

Veteran
a little dirty burner for all you freaks out there....

picture.php

picture.php

the picture of the removable nozzle on the unit i wanted to show, but the photo was out of focus. It was partially clogged with the white cake build up. the vertical slits where the gas comes out where clogged. if i had to put a number i would say they where 40% clogged. it may have been 6-7 months since i cleaned the nozzles

gmanwho

Veteran
Yes, I'm thinking it's a pythium issue now. I ordered some "Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide" the other day so hopefully that works. Problem is I live in Canada so might take a while to make it's way through customs. For the time being I'm just using h202 until it gets here.

pythium is everywhere. it is often overlooked an truly gives credibility to inconsistent growth patterns one may see in the garden.

there are a few products that can cure it.. but u need to stay ontop of it an sterilize everything constantly from now on. pythium is the main reason i moved away from recirculating nutrient systems.

Rabbi

I've got some "Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide" on its way, which is apparently just a much, much more concentrated form of Hydroguard. Been hearing really good things about it. Can't wait till it gets here.

Rabbi

pythium is everywhere. it is often overlooked an truly gives credibility to inconsistent growth patterns one may see in the garden.

there are a few products that can cure it.. but u need to stay ontop of it an sterilize everything constantly from now on. pythium is the main reason i moved away from recirculating nutrient systems.

I'm considering changing up my veg set up to something more like a flood and drain/ Aero type deal. The rotting roots seem to only be the roots submerged in the water. The part of roots that aren't long enough to reach the water are all fine. But once they reach the water it's mush city.

Hydro8

Sounds like pythium/funk.

I had a RDWC system that started doing that I could not get rid of the funk. I tossed all the buckets and hoses in the trash. Replaced them with new and cleaned everything else. It fixed the problem the roots were nice clean and strong after that. Plastic and vinyl gets funky after a bit.

Rabbi

Sounds like pythium/funk.

I had a RDWC system that started doing that I could not get rid of the funk. I tossed all the buckets and hoses in the trash. Replaced them with new and cleaned everything else. It fixed the problem the roots were nice clean and strong after that. Plastic and vinyl gets funky after a bit.

I've heard/read really good things about that Southern AG stuff I ordered, so hoping it helps at least.

gmanwho

Veteran
I've heard/read really good things about that Southern AG stuff I ordered, so hoping it helps at least.

so many things control pathogens but never destroy it.

so lets say u have 12 clones , then say 8 will be happy an the other 4 will be slow an unproductive. trash those 4 immediately an dont try to revive them.

top drip drain to waste. make sure run off wont interfere from plant to plant. clean ,bleach or a hydrogen peroxide with peracetic acid.

hand water so u can see who is drinking an who is not. the ones that have slower uptake but similar size most likely are further infected. water uptake is quick indicator whos helathy an who is not. within reason...

take clones from healthy plants only. if its the last mom an shes sick try to revive her some where else where cross contamination wont occur.

clean scissors, watering containers, pumps, ph probes... over an over an after every use.

when working with the plants use rubber gloves, in between plants wipe the gloves with rubbbing alcohol

no standing water anywhere. clean trays atleast weekly

its a bitch but doable. big agriculture has been doing it for 10's of years only now weed farmers are catching on.

best of luck

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
so many things control pathogens but never destroy it.

so lets say u have 12 clones , then say 8 will be happy an the other 4 will be slow an unproductive. trash those 4 immediately an dont try to revive them.

top drip drain to waste. make sure run off wont interfere from plant to plant. clean ,bleach or a hydrogen peroxide with peracetic acid.

hand water so u can see who is drinking an who is not. the ones that have slower uptake but similar size most likely are further infected. water uptake is quick indicator whos helathy an who is not. within reason...

take clones from healthy plants only. if its the last mom an shes sick try to revive her some where else where cross contamination wont occur.

clean scissors, watering containers, pumps, ph probes... over an over an after every use.

when working with the plants use rubber gloves, in between plants wipe the gloves with rubbbing alcohol

no standing water anywhere. clean trays atleast weekly

its a bitch but doable. big agriculture has been doing it for 10's of years only now weed farmers are catching on.

best of luck

After the dud issue I had last year, I do everything now you just said. From the gloves, using iso to clean tools after every use, constantly cleaning everything, and never touching another plant without iso on gloves/tools. And now my grow is healthier than it has ever been. At first it was a pain in the ass. But now I’m used to it and don’t even think about it.

If you look at the veg picks I have recently posted, you’ll always see a spray bottle in the background....it’s full of ISO rubbing alcohol! :tiphat:

Rabbi

After the dud issue I had last year, I do everything now you just said. From the gloves, using iso to clean tools after every use, constantly cleaning everything, and never touching another plant without iso on gloves/tools. And now my grow is healthier than it has ever been. At first it was a pain in the ass. But now I’m used to it and don’t even think about it.

If you look at the veg picks I have recently posted, you’ll always see a spray bottle in the background....it’s full of ISO rubbing alcohol! :tiphat:

Ya, all things that most guys know they should do but rarely do it. Good on you for making that good habit.

gmanwho

Veteran

ya man. u gotta stay ontop of the germs!!! its tough battling an opponent u cant see. Good to hear your gardens healthy.

the weeks during veg i have been using chlorine in the feeds. sterilizing the medium an root zone basically. when the plants are about to flower i eventually stop the chlorine and then hand water in recharge. so far things have been good.

its been a battle an i know its isnt over yet

little-soldier

Hey Rabbi, ive been doing ALOT of research lately because I too am using aeroponic/dwc and got root rot lately. Our problems will be solved with some pond-zyme from API.Just ordered mine online. The guy who used it had great success killing all the bad stuff and you can start seeing changes after just 24 hours. He had pictures and all to back up his claim so it looks promising. no more rot....:woohoo:
Aero and benne is the shizznit.

DiverDave

Hey Rabbi, ive been doing ALOT of research lately because I too am using aeroponic/dwc and got root rot lately. Our problems will be solved with some pond-zyme from API.Just ordered mine online. The guy who used it had great success killing all the bad stuff and you can start seeing changes after just 24 hours. He had pictures and all to back up his claim so it looks promising. no more rot....:woohoo:
Aero and benne is the shizznit.

Thank you , I think this will be the best fix for this type of recurring problem that plagues RDWC & DWC grows have.

DD

Zblade

I have had it happen several times and could not get rid of it and I tried many things.

I finally transplanted into larger containers and it went away.
I now always use 3-5 gallons of coco and my defiency problems have not came back.
If I use pure coco,no perlite,I let surface dry 2-4 inches deep a few times before feeding to get a healthy rootball then I can start feeding as many times as I want per day.
Letting the top dry 2-4 inches down the first few feedings can really help keep slime and root diseases at bay.