What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Grape Juice To Flavor Strains With Grape/Purple Colors?

TrickEE

So my question is, has anyone tried adding natural things, like fresh juice from squished grapes from your kitchen, into your cannabis plants while growing to give your plant a purple coloring and/or grape taste? As soon as I get time, I really want to try this with at least grapes. I think grapes would be perfect because they are naturally sweet and could easily be used in place of a molasses additive, imo, or a stand alone when watering your plant. I think that using anything acidic based, like oranges, lemons and zest, would be a big swing in your ph and may affect the integrity of the experiment. Also, we would need to get the most mundane smelling and tasting plant you could find to try the experiment out with. I was thinking something along the lines of a flower/floral/sweet variety, since it is more of a "blank canvas" type of smell and taste that would easily show signs/hints of grape. You def don't want to use a kush based, skunkyness or very high flavor profile to try this out with. If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading. Healthy nugz.

TrickEE

Thanks Dank Frank...I need to get more space and time to pull this together, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried it. Im not expecting to change the plant entirely, just to see if its possible at all. I thinking more of turning it purple with the red tannins in grapes than the grape flavor, but one can be hopeful right? lol

TrickEE

On the same note, has anyone tried putting food coloring into their watering before ph correcting to see the results? Man im actually really interested in doing these experiments now lol...

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Wouldn’t it be better to get some strains with the colours/flavours you require rather than try to add it? Wouldn’t fancy smoking food dye myself.

Cannavore

Veteran
reminds me of the louie ck joke where if you drink milk while you're having sex you'll cum more

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Most things like food colouring won't pass through the roots. Get them down to their chemical constituents and some of them might make it, but that's not adding colour.

To add colour you can sew a wick through a branch. That will wick in colour, but death follows soon after.

I chopped a head and put the stem in glycerine solution once. It was taken up, and the bud was preserved. It didn't shrink, but instead become like foam rubber. The cat played with it for months. People would marvel over it, knowing something wasn't right, but never placing the fact it was all too big. Having never shrunk as it dried. I didn't do a before and after, but I don't think it lost any weight. If you really squished a bit some moisture would be released. It passed as almost dry enough though. I could develop a spray called '60%' designed to stop buds drying to a crisp. I imagine someone will be developing a new 'stay heavy' spray moments after reading. It's not as if glycerine even tastes much. It's not something I could justify though. It was just for fun.

Bloody newbs and their daft ideas lol

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
That's how they dye a white carnation or rose. I suppose it *could work.

As for smell and taste, you could try sprinkling popcorn cheddar powder.

KernelSeasons_Embedded.jpg

Garlic Parmesan Weed. :puke:

Cvh

Supermod
I heard the following a few years ago in the Dutch scene. I don't know if it's true or even works. Nor do I agree in anyway with aldurating or flavoring cannabis products.
But I'll share because I find that no info should be withheld.

A plant can't take up complex molecules through their roots. But if you cut off a branch off a plant that is at the end of flowering. And place that branch in a water solution with flavoring agents for at least a week it will take it in.

Here is a link to a Hightimes article.
https://hightimes.com/grow/experiment-a-new-way-of-flavoring-cannabis/
While roots can’t uptake terpenoid flavor molecules, a freshly cut stem certainly may be able to do so.
If you want to try this experiment at home with a flowering plant, simply cut a side branch with a bud and a few leaves on it that’s ready for harvest, and put it in a dilute solution of vanilla extract in purified water. Even if the stem is cut, the process of transpiration still occurs. Water evaporates off the surface and underbelly of the leaves, which creates a back pressure, pulling xylem through the veins of the branch, then the stem, then the branch, and eventually pulls up your vanilla solution.
After about a week, the entire cutting should be saturated with this solution, so take it out and cure as you would a normal bud.

ramse

I remember reading an article sponsored by gh seeds on Ingemar... grower/breeder who claims to have invented White Widow and uses fertilizer composed with mango for the flavor...

"MagazineGrow: How exactally do you go about that? Do you plant a lemon tree next to a cannabis plant and the taste smell carry over?
Ingemar: it may sound stupid but you could do it that way, I myself have devloped a different way.
MagazineGrow: And that would been......
Ingemar: when you use a fertilizer based on mango compound, the cannabis plant can obtain the falvor
MagazineGrow: And when you use a different fert then you can lose this taste?
Ingemar: Exactally, and that’s why I don´t care for indoor growing so much.Indoor the cannabis plant looses it own character"

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221863

LOL...sincerely I remember making a big laugh
:)

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I suppose it *could work.

The white hairs soon turn, but then brown off. The growing extremities will taint, but the dye holds things. There is some hardening off, then death. It's not advisable.

With carnations the petal edges take on the colour first. It seems the dye passes through the petal unseen, until the edge where it can get no further. Here it gathers. Giving a highly contrasting edge.

Now I don't think the petals edge is a growing tip. It's pushed up like the hairs on our heads/buds. This can get loaded with colour and preserved without issue. Our leaves and buds have a different growth pattern though. The colour is taken to growing areas. Fixing there. Which causes some sort of stiffening up. Then death as every bit that tries to grow, pulls in colour that fixes there.

Least so it seemed to be.

Perhaps you thought I was saying I could turn an entire bud any colour. That certainly can't be done. You can add some colour, but death is so close behind, and the green so dominant, that your wasting your time if your looking for any real gain, other than knowledge

Absolem

If this kind of thing worked farmers would have figured this out a long time ago and would be dumping left over oranges on apple fields and vice versa. Or vineyards dumping various fruits on their grape fields.

St. Phatty

If you want to mix smells, I think it works better -
Weed + 100% Grape Juice + Super-garlic-y pizza.

Just use the weed as a side dish to foods & drinks with a "Big Taste".

Latest posts

Latest posts