What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

jwcgarden

Hi so I have a question about mixing salts by weight or ppm. Using Jacks for example plugging into a nute calculator. 3.6 grams part A and 2.4 B gives 660 ppm total. 448 for part A, 212 for B.

Now looking back through notes mixing by ppm meter for 600ppm total would be 360 A and 240 B.

Doing my own testing in my tap water starting at 80ppm. Adding 3.6 A brought me to 590ppm. Then adding 2.4 B brought me to 920 total. 590-80=510ppm of A. 920-590=330 of B.

How does this even make sense? I thought dry nutes absorb moisture, and would therefor skew my results making me use more nutes to achieve same ppm. According to the nute calculator Im using 4.1 of A to get 510ppm and 3.75 of B for 331ppm. Using 2 different scales to weigh nutes, could both scales be off half a gram? Should I mix nutes according to ppm instead of weight?

jidoka

No matter what you think your meter does not measure actual ppm. It measures EC and then makes a calculation based on salts you are not using.

One meter uses NaCl, another uses KCl and others who the fuck knows. Do yourself a favor and set your meter to EC.

If you must look deeper google salt index and ppm or EC or something like that

jwcgarden

No matter what you think your meter does not measure actual ppm. It measures EC and then makes a calculation based on salts you are not using.

One meter uses NaCl, another uses KCl and others who the fuck knows. Do yourself a favor and set your meter to EC.

If you must look deeper google salt index and ppm or EC or something like that

Perfect explanation I love how simple you put it!! Was getting confused and was thinking I was adding alot more nitrogen then the target 140 I was going for.:dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts