What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help me pick strains for sub-tropical climate at 16°N

rowdy999

Hi, I'm new here and found the forum because I'm about to start a very basic outdoor grow. I am a new grower from india wanted to try Ace gear for first time what do you guys recommend for my subtropical climate.

Earlier i tried growing some strains like Mandal#1, Moby dick and Super silver haze but lost most of them due to extreme heat and humidity, At 16° N we have temps upto 40° C and RH somewhere between 75 to 85 all year long, just to give an rough idea about my climate. Please let me know which strains performs better under these conditions i was thinking of Malawi, Golden tiger, Green haze and zamaldelica. All recommendations are much appreciated.

Dubi please give in your inputs.

Thanks

ValleyKush

Veteran
Your picks are spot on. I would assume anything with malawi in it would be heat resistant and the green haze has indian genetics in it so it should be fine as well.

Something I would HIGHLY recomend is a thick layer of mulch around your plants. It will make all the difference in the world by keeping your roots much cooler. Wood chips are what I use but hay works too, just use it even thicker then the wood chips. You could quite possibly double your yeild and quality by protecting them from the heat this way.

rowdy999

Thank valleykush for your valuable feedback but my main problem is with humidity does the above strain do any good under my conditions (RH of 75 to 85).

Thanks

ValleyKush

Veteran
They should handle it very well. Almost any pure sativa should have great mold resistance. Being so far south I would grow nothing but pure sativas if I were you. I'm jealous, you are in for a very special ride.

Holeshot

Hey Rowdy, I just grew a few big GT and Zamaldelica and Panama outside this season, with a lot of humidity , heat and rain. My GT Thai pheno handled it with ease . The other two did amazing well also , with only a few buds getting mouldy right on harvest a few weeks ago. The GT pheno has very fine leaves, small wispy branches and small to medium foxtailed buds.Stunning plant. Well they all are!!!!!!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome rowdy999 :)

You are very lucky to have the chance to grow outdoors in a subtropical climate.

Certainly, sativa/indica hybrids and indica strains don't work very well at your latitude due the short photoperiods, high moisture and high heat.
These type of early flowering hybrids with strong indica influence will start to flower after just a few weeks of life, producing small plants of low/moderate yield and the flowers will easily rot with the rains in the second half of flowering.

It is preferable to choose pure sativa hybrids with strong tropical roots, tropical sativas are resistant against mold and heat, and they like to grow tall and vigorously before start the flowering, so they have better potential to produce higher yields and to handle better the rain and fungus in flowering.

Sativas like Golden Tiger, Malawi, Zamaldelica, Oldtimer's Haze and its sativa hybrids (Panama Haze, Purple Haze x Malawi) are the best choices for your location.
Panama and Tikal can also be grown there, but they would finish smaller than the ones previously commented.

Hope it helps, let us know if you have any other doubt.
Kind regards

rowdy999

Thanks corky for the recommendation but i'll go with ZD & Malwai this year. My order should reach in couple of days, i'll start my grow in aug.

Thanks.

Gelado`

Veteran
Namaste Rowdy! You definitely want to grow pure sativas, and putting plants out after the monsoon will prevent mold issues. If you can get them started indoors that would help greatly, especially if you can put out presexed clones.

Also since you're in India...I'd personally stick to Indian sativas. They'll do wonderfully and are great smoke, too. I grew Andhra Pradesh sativas outdoors in a subtropical climate back in 2006-2007 and I had enough smoke for years (I don't smoke that much)! Homegrown sinsemilla (or even seeded), trimmed, dried and cured well, it'll be much better than the ganja it came from!

Also, since you're a noob, bagseed would've been good to start with. Since you already have seeds incoming, you might as well germ them and let 'em rip. Please don't let that pollen hit any local desi sativas, though! ;) Or you'll pollute the local genepool and Modi will come after you!

rowdy999

Thanks gelado for your time, i am from andhra pradesh and i love that wonderfull seelavathi ganja you are talking about, i grew it once from seed it took me 26 weeks to harvest and good smoke too happy and uplifting but i would like to try some psychedelic african strains cuz couple of my friends brags a lot abt them so thought of giving ace gear a shot.

Monsoon starts during july and continue till sep, so i usually start in aug/sep and harvest in dec/jan, hopefully zd and malwai should do well.

Thansk

rowdy999

picture.php

Gelado`

Veteran
Those are the girls! I didn't realize you had some experience under your belt already. I think those strains will perform well for you. Post a log as I'd love to see how they perform under the Indian sun! I'm especially interested in the GT as I've found southern Thais to be extremely psychedelic.

SativaLightning

im at Lat 18 in Puerto Rico doing great with Malawi and Purple Haze x Malawi. all seedlings are growing under the sun happily and enjoying the rains of april/may. i watered them myself for the first time two days ago. they are some tough cookies! so far, only a small leafminer and caterpillar match going on right now and the girls are demonstrating their individual strengths. wonder how you guys handle this in humid weather. im using vitamin c to stave off the fungus used as foliar, however for these pests i need to use something other than the Neem i top dressed and also mixed into the medium previously to planting. i prefer to go organic if anyone has any suggestions!

as for gene expression, our weather will really bring out the greatness in these genetics. next best thing to Malawi! im even seeing purple colours in the stems of the fem Malawi. praise jah

Andyo

Veteran
Im at 9 deg north latitude

Im at 9 deg north latitude

Regarding the above picture the spot of mold,I think is because it got seeded early there.

I try not to let any pollen get near my plants ,
I use strains i know wont produce random male flowers.

Im actually moving to 12 deg north as the monsoon season is better timed last month of the monsoon is october there and not really heavy that month so enough rain has been and roots will go down well. So i will plant seed in the ground 1st october ,
Nov dec jan feb march will be reasonably dry and lower humidity and cooler 27 to 32 deg C.

Maria Sanchez

Hi, I'm new here and found the forum because I'm about to start a very basic outdoor grow. I am a new grower from india wanted to try Ace gear for first time what do you guys recommend for my subtropical climate.

Earlier i tried growing some strains like Mandal#1, Moby dick and Super silver haze but lost most of them due to extreme heat and humidity, At 16° N we have temps upto 40° C and RH somewhere between 75 to 85 all year long, just to give an rough idea about my climate. Please let me know which strains performs better under these conditions i was thinking of Malawi, Golden tiger, Green haze and zamaldelica. All recommendations are much appreciated.

Dubi please give in your inputs.

Thanks
Thanks for this question. I'm at about 23°N, very wet and humid tropical climate, and thinking the same question. Thanks for any input from anyone with experience!

Maria Sanchez

Thank valleykush for your valuable feedback but my main problem is with humidity does the above strain do any good under my conditions (RH of 75 to 85).

Thanks

Yeah, it's the damn humidity that's the killer.
My plants usually handle temps up to 37C okay, if I they get enough water.
But constant super high RH... that's the problem a cultivar needs to be able to deal with.

Latest posts

Latest posts