What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ost

Love the color man.
sounds like you need a 5 gal top jar to collect the floating powder,(lit it set for a few min. before u open the lid give static ele. a min. to stick to the side or rub a bollone in you hair then on chamber to stick the fine stuff to the sides.sorry about my backwoods spelling!

Asentrouw

I made a a mix of 1/3 quite wet malawi fluf + some dried Nevilles (about 2/3). Let it sweat in a closed bag for a day, so all became quite moist and worked it into a cob. This I vaccumed.

I'm thinking leaving this ferment for about a month, as temps here are now between 20-25 C (68-77 F). Is this enough or do you need the higher temps to really kickstart the fermentation process?

Attachments

• 20230828_184249.jpg
    20230828_184249.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40

Tangwena

Veteran
I made a a mix of 1/3 quite wet malawi fluf + some dried Nevilles (about 2/3). Let it sweat in a closed bag for a day, so all became quite moist and worked it into a cob. This I vaccumed.

I'm thinking leaving this ferment for about a month, as temps here are now between 20-25 C (68-77 F). Is this enough or do you need the higher temps to really kickstart the fermentation process?
Hi my friend great that you are giving this a go but sadly I dont think the result will be anything like a proper cure.
I would suggest waiting until you have real fresh buds to work with as the result will be much easier to achieve.
Some folks have had success using a mix of fresh fresh and old buds but I personally would not bother.

Taima-da

I'm thinking leaving this ferment for about a month, as temps here are now between 20-25 C (68-77 F). Is this enough or do you need the higher temps to really kickstart the fermekntation process?

I'd check it at a week to ten days to keep an eye on it. You can always seal it up again if it looks/smells good.
If it comes out wet with a smell that tells you ferment has started, you can start to dry it off and slow it down

Asentrouw

Hi my friend great that you are giving this a go but sadly I dont think the result will be anything like a proper cure.
I would suggest waiting until you have real fresh buds to work with as the result will be much easier to achieve.
Some folks have had success using a mix of fresh fresh and old buds but I personally would not bother.

This is certainly the plan. I will give it another good try according to the book. I'm still having some long flowering sativa seeds in the fridge, which I will run in the near future to do a proper cobbing trial.

But I thought I give it a go anyway. It's probably a bacterial fermentation taking place in the cob. So I guessed if the whole lot is wet again due to absorption, the old buds will probably get also fermented as the anearobe bacteria multiply from the new buds.

Could be I'm completely wrong ofcourse. But I had some stash lying around so i thought, why not give it a go?

Anyway I'll open it up in a week or more to see if it smells sweet. Who knows how it turns out, worse case scenario I'm stuck with some brickweed...

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
This is certainly the plan. I will give it another good try according to the book. I'm still having some long flowering sativa seeds in the fridge, which I will run in the near future to do a proper cobbing trial.

But I thought I give it a go anyway. It's probably a bacterial fermentation taking place in the cob. So I guessed if the whole lot is wet again due to absorption, the old buds will probably get also fermented as the anearobe bacteria multiply from the new buds.

Could be I'm completely wrong ofcourse. But I had some stash lying around so i thought, why not give it a go?

Anyway I'll open it up in a week or more to see if it smells sweet. Who knows how it turns out, worse case scenario I'm stuck with some brickweed...
I've done exactly the same in the past using a combination of wet and dry; it does work.
It's not my preferred method, but if you have some dry bud lying around you can add it to the wet. 🙂

Asentrouw

I've done exactly the same in the past using a combination of wet and dry; it does work.
It's not my preferred method, but if you have some dry bud lying around you can add it to the wet. 🙂

Few days further and I noticed the cob already shrinked quite a bit. So I decided to open the vacbag to re-vacuum the cob.

It did have a very nice smell, sweet flowery with some maize on the background. It did have a slight sour smell to it, so I guess there is something fermenting, but not quite there yet. It also did not really sweat on the outside yet.

I read the cobs have to be "sickly sweet" and decarboxilated, so I guess you really need some serious heat to do it properly?

Temps here are at most 25 C (77 F). So the idea is to kickstart the process by heating the cob for a day "eau bain marie". However, I read mixed stories ranging from 40 C (104 F) under the sun and 80 C (176 F) in hot composting goatdong.

What would be the best temperature to aim for, without killing the microbiological life in the cob?

I also don't want to overdo it, because I really like to preserve the great smells it currently has.

Or would it be better to be patient and can the same effects be achieved over longer times on lower temps?

CDNINCA

Hey @Asentrouw , I'm still developing my skills with this process so it might be wise to wait to hear from those here with far more experience than I have, but here's my two cents FWIW. These points have been gleaned from all the others here...

(@Tangwena)
- Shorter sweats give more color and taste, and keep the high racier, if you dry earlier after sweating.
- The longer you "cold cure" (after sweating) vacuum sealed, the darker the result and the deeper the effects.

I have personally tried anywhere in the range from 35C to 40C (95F to 104F) and for different amounts of time ranging from 8 to 10 hours (Sous vide). I don't think I'd go over 40C/104F, but that's just my opinion. I started with material that was about 65% RH. All of the tests that I've done seem to be working and I've yet to try any of them - I should do so soon! They all smell and look amazing so I'm thinking they should be good. We shall see!

So maybe if yours smell good like you said I think being patient will work just fine. It seems that others here lean toward sweating at lower temps, and then being patient with the longer cure times. I'm going with that plan and so far so good!

Hope that helps, and I hope that others chime in with more accurate suggestions!

Cheers.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey @Asentrouw , I'm still developing my skills with this process so it might be wise to wait to hear from those here with far more experience than I have, but here's my two cents FWIW. These points have been gleaned from all the others here...

(@Tangwena)
- Shorter sweats give more color and taste, and keep the high racier, if you dry earlier after sweating.
- The longer you "cold cure" (after sweating) vacuum sealed, the darker the result and the deeper the effects.

I have personally tried anywhere in the range from 35C to 40C (95F to 104F) and for different amounts of time ranging from 8 to 10 hours (Sous vide). I don't think I'd go over 40C/104F, but that's just my opinion. I started with material that was about 65% RH. All of the tests that I've done seem to be working and I've yet to try any of them - I should do so soon! They all smell and look amazing so I'm thinking they should be good. We shall see!

So maybe if yours smell good like you said I think being patient will work just fine. It seems that others here lean toward sweating at lower temps, and then being patient with the longer cure times. I'm going with that plan and so far so good!

Hope that helps, and I hope that others chime in with more accurate suggestions!

Cheers.
Perfect reply brother your on the money thats for sure.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've just conducted a little experiment.

Earlier in the thread I said that I have been eating decarboxylated bud. Recently I did a cob and have now compared the high of cob v decarbed (same strain, same weight), and I have to say the cob seems more powerful at this stage. Further experiments will be conducted for research purposes only. :ying:

Cob on!

Last edited:

Buzzzzd

I have just sweated one cob in my "Sweat Box" and it is now sitting "Saran Wrapped" on my sat receiver. One more has another 12 hours to sweat. I sweated in the Cherry wood mold and it seemed fairly dry so I left it for a couple of hours before wrapping it up. I may sweat this one for a bit extra time just to see the difference if any. Here's hoping!!! I am thinking that the cherry wood soaks up any extra sweat and since wood has natural anti bacterial properties if I make it thru the curing process....we should have a high old time!!!
I'm also thinking that I might cure this one in the mold as well just for comparison.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks @Tangwena, I was trying to channel you and a few others here! Hope all is well there!
I am at my fishing camp in remote Western Australia I have been testing my last cobs for 3 weeks now haha.
I am having some magical fishing trips brother.
The other day we were interacting with a wild dolphin and her young calf who I know well as she is a frequent visitor to the reef I was fishing on.
A big Tiger shark cruised by and it was crazy watching the dolphin and shark interact with each other in 4mtrs of crystal clear water.
In the end the shark moved on after a few dummy runs at the dolphin just to establish who was boss.
The dolphin was catching the undersize fish we were releasing and gave us a thank you roll as she left.
Then we started catching our own fish it was magical. I looked into her beady eye and she was smiling back at me I'm sure ha ha.
Its hard to tell reality from heaven in this spot.
While catching squid at night I met a couple who come here each year for 6 months with a caravan, all the way from Victoria 5 days hard hot driving away just for the squid fishing. Thats dedication for you.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
I am at my fishing camp in remote Western Australia I have been testing my last cobs for 3 weeks now haha.
I am having some magical fishing trips brother.
The other day we were interacting with a wild dolphin and her young calf who I know well as she is a frequent visitor to the reef I was fishing on.
A big Tiger shark cruised by and it was crazy watching the dolphin and shark interact with each other in 4mtrs of crystal clear water.
In the end the shark moved on after a few dummy runs at the dolphin just to establish who was boss.
The dolphin was catching the undersize fish we were releasing and gave us a thank you roll as she left.
Then we started catching our own fish it was magical. I looked into her beady eye and she was smiling back at me I'm sure ha ha.
Its hard to tell reality from heaven in this spot.
While catching squid at night I met a couple who come here each year for 6 months with a caravan, all the way from Victoria 5 days hard hot driving away just for the squid fishing. Thats dedication for you.
Love it brother! ❤

GreenAndFast

Another one going guys. Think this is going to be an ongoing trend lol sure makes harvesting NLDs alot more effective.
This was a large OTH looking unknown plant that smells very floral and sweet. I pressed the entire plant (bar a few choice buds) into an empty peanut butter jar with a wide bottom (hehe) so the resulting cob was rather flat. I want a log shape, so I rolled it in the vac bag and vac sealed her up.
PXL_20230901_162621949.jpg
PXL_20230901_162617761.jpg