What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

House and Garden 2013 MEGATHREAD

Hey guys. My first run basically using the full H&G line up. Just wondering something. Up till now during veg ive been running base plus multizym, regen a root and fascilitor and I would set my ph to 5.8 and after 4 days my Rez would be like 5.9-6.0

A couple days ago I stopped fascilitor and started using amino treatment at 0.5ml per litre. Started off with a ph of 5.8 and today(two days later) ph was 6.4!! Are u finding this kind of rise in ph using all the H&G additives?? I added some ph down and brought it back down to 5.9. Should I have left it where it was? Thanks guys.

Im sure if its at 6.4 for a little bit it wouldnt hurt anything. Nothing wrong with using the ph down. Maybe bring the ph down to 5.5 and it will probably drift back up slowly. You need to check the runoff and adjust your rez accordingly. Are you aerating the rez? Depending on the situation I like to just throw a water pump in the rez to circulate the nutes instead of an airstone and that would help with keeping the ph more stable.

S

SooperSmurph

I've been loving H&G, the one product I tend to replace in the system is Amino Treatment, as long as your soil and microbe herd are healthy, you shouldn't need a lot of the compounds being provided in Amino, which renders it into an overpriced silica supplement.

I've been substituting Protekt, Silica Blast, and Fasilitor with equal success vs Amino. When using these alternatives, add them to your reservoir first, before your A component, rather than at the end.

Newer instructions from H&G instruct the user to let the A component sit in the reservoir after mixing for 15 minutes before adding the B component, this results in extra ph drop, which in my system usually brings me right to the high edge of the target range.

The different Silica supplements behave thusly when added before the A component, and mixed using the 15 minute wait:

Protekt: Decreases the A component's effect of dropping Ph slightly, requiring acidification after the B component.

Silica Blast: Slightly increases the A component's ph drop effect, no acidification required except during veg weeks 1-2.

Fasilitor: Increases the A component's ph drop effect, no acidification required at any point in the plant's life cycle.

This is using Filtered (catalytic carbon) water, not RO.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Im sure if its at 6.4 for a little bit it wouldnt hurt anything. Nothing wrong with using the ph down. Maybe bring the ph down to 5.5 and it will probably drift back up slowly. You need to check the runoff and adjust your rez accordingly. Are you aerating the rez? Depending on the situation I like to just throw a water pump in the rez to circulate the nutes instead of an airstone and that would help with keeping the ph more stable.

No air pump in my Rez. I use a aquarium pump to circulate the nutes 24/7.

Thanks guys!!

mericanfiend

Yo your feed is all over the place and your post is slightly confusing. Its going to be harder to help since your using other products that are overlapping. I would stick to the schedule and run it at maybe .75% strength and make sure your environment is in check. Just because your room is 80 degrees doesnt mean there isnt any heat damage you need to get a read out of the temps at the top of the canopy. H&G can put out a slightly leafier product from my experience.

What he said. If running a slew of supplements, drop your base nutes down to 11 ml/gal or less and make the necessary reductions in supplement app rates. H&G recommends reducing your base ppms to 600 before addition of Shooting Powder and I treat all feeds heavy in supplements accordingly, not just PK boosters. 80+ degrees can work wonders with certain strains in dialed rooms with CO2.

I have also noticed more leafiness with certain strains running H&G, I have no strong feelings either way about that hahaha! :biggrin:

mericanfiend

Sorry for the double post, can't edit yet...

I've been loving H&G, the one product I tend to replace in the system is Amino Treatment, as long as your soil and microbe herd are healthy, you shouldn't need a lot of the compounds being provided in Amino, which renders it into an overpriced silica supplement.

I've been substituting Protekt, Silica Blast, and Fasilitor with equal success vs Amino. When using these alternatives, add them to your reservoir first, before your A component, rather than at the end.

Newer instructions from H&G instruct the user to let the A component sit in the reservoir after mixing for 15 minutes before adding the B component, this results in extra ph drop, which in my system usually brings me right to the high edge of the target range.

The different Silica supplements behave thusly when added before the A component, and mixed using the 15 minute wait:

Protekt: Decreases the A component's effect of dropping Ph slightly, requiring acidification after the B component.

Silica Blast: Slightly increases the A component's ph drop effect, no acidification required except during veg weeks 1-2.

Fasilitor: Increases the A component's ph drop effect, no acidification required at any point in the plant's life cycle.

This is using Filtered (catalytic carbon) water, not RO.

I'm also using CC filtered H2O at a couple spots. I add my silica product first, allowing time to mix, then add A followed by more mix time, then B and more mix, then CaMg and mix, then pH. This has been working well for me. :biggrin:

ProTekt is my favorite potassium silicate product that I can find at my local grow stores, Silica Blast being my backup. FaSilitor looks like an interesting product but there are concerns about PGRs and I don't know of anywhere nearby to purchase Aptus nutes...

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
No reason to run their base at 11ml, that's a waste

I max out at 7ml personally with their coco base

Also only use 1 additive in veg as well as flower

No need to run a bunch of additives and supplements along with high EC/PPM

Get back to basics and see if that doesn't fix your problems

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Anyone with experience running the amino treatment in a drip system??? My first time running amino treatment and even with only running 0.5ml per litre after only 12-24 hours sitting my Rez which is constantly being mixed by a maxi jet 900 aquarium pump. I'm getting some serious brown build up inside my Rez as well as my pumps and lines. Do you think I run a chance of this plugging up my drip system??? My Rez lasts 3 days before its empty. Then I refill and add fresh nutes. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

O

otis33

I tried the amino in one off my blumat set ups and it caused some serious sludge that would have clogged everything if I had not discontinued it. what I ended up doing was hand watering all those additives a couple times a week and only putting g the base+ protekt in the res. I kind of got lazy this summer and only ran 5ml/gal of coco base and protekt@1.0ec at the very most 1.2ec during weeks 5-7 when I tried to put some MOAB in, which I only ended up adding once, so the plant s probably got it for a week since that's how long my blumat res lasts. I guess the point I'm trying to make is yes, it will clog, but more importantly, all those bottles do make your pants lush and beautiful, but I just had my best run yet using only a very low dose of base and protekt. a bit over 1800g from 1600wts and 5ml/gal. I know that had nothing to do with your clogging question, but I like to brag:peacock:

O

otis33

I just read that you refill everything every three days, so you may be ok, but you will want to flush the shit out of your lines with hot water every refill which may be more trouble than its worth.

O

otis33

I forgot to mention I use drip clean@1ml/gal, but it's mostly to avoid lock outs in the blumat set ups since there it's no run off. it didn't seem to keep the sludge out of the lines when I had amino in the res. I have a loop manifold with a ball valve in the center off the loop that I occasionally open up to let out any air bubbles, and even with drop clean and only base nutes I can sll get a build up off some nasty sludge if I don't flush out my lines after a run. this is w ith blumats, water sits in the manifold longer and will stagnate. if you are using a pump to feed the drippers, which I have a couple set ups like this, you won't have as much sludge in the lines bc water is constantly being cycled through and doesn't have a chance to build up any nastiness. I think most people use drip clean as an insurance policy against nute lock out due to residual salt build up. it does work. when I started out feeding per the bottles direction my blunat coco run off was over 3000ppm with no Ill effects on the plants. now that I feed super low ec(1.0-1.2max) I bet I could get away with out it, but I st illl use it....insurance.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Drip Clean won't take care of it?

Like otis said, Drip Clean works great for keeping you out of trouble with salt build up but will do nothing for preventing clogged drip lines from the "brown" buildup produced by Amino Treatment.

I'm going to stop using Amino through my drip system before I start having issues and will just feed plants once a week with Amino by hand.:tiphat:

Too bad, was trying to get away from these once a week hand feeding as it adds too much time to my already busy schedule:whee:

Feijao

I love HG nutes. I have never ran into a problem with them and people seem to love the fruit they produce.

In veg I currently run
  • Aqua Flakes A&B
  • Pro-Tekt
  • MultiZen
  • Roots Ex
  • Drip Clean
  • Magic Green

In Flower
  • Aqua Flakes
  • Hammerhead (AN)
  • M.O.A.B
  • Bud XL
  • Top Booster

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Feijao, how do you incorporate all those flowering additives?

Two runs ago, I used Rock Resinator along w/ Bud XL & T-Booster and felt it was too much hardener.
Last rd. was just B-XL & T-Booster, and this rd. I'm running the RR by itself.

B

BigRuss

Received this sample card today. Will advise when I get the samples.

Samples received.

Highlighter, I've incorporated RR into the H&G Flowering schedule but dialing it back by 50% with pretty good results.

Once I receive my Rock sample kit, I am going to do a side by side.

mericanfiend

No reason to run their base at 11ml, that's a waste

I max out at 7ml personally with their coco base

Also only use 1 additive in veg as well as flower

No need to run a bunch of additives and supplements along with high EC/PPM

Get back to basics and see if that doesn't fix your problems

I like the way you are thinking here... attempting to formulate and mix up complicated nutrient solutions tends to cause more harm than good, especially for novice and hobbyist horticulturalists. Noticing much more on tables that are being fed much less this time round. :biggrin:

Everyone is familiar with the K.I.S.S. method, it has been proven and works wonders... now we just need a thread about the B.T.B. method... get back to basics and make your garden work for you!

farmdalefurr, what would you pick if only allotted one supplement for veg and one for bloom?

O

otis33

rootsexcelorator&moab(poor man's shooting powder). I'm really rethinking whether a flower additive/ enhancer/ hardener is needed. I've left them out of my ppk, just using base and silica the same ec asshl the way through with stellar results. my last blumat run was just base& silica@1.0ec with maybe a weeks worth of MOAB and it was my best grow ever in both quality and yield. so guess, answering for farmdalefur, roots excel &silica should be my B.TB. single additives for flower and veg...not in that order.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This yr. I added Roots Excelurator & Amino Treatment.
The R.E. will stick.
I'm pretty well sold on Drip Clean too.

The last two runs I've cut back to 5ml./gal. of the basic to no ill effect.
I have come back to using C/M, and when the AT runs out I'll be back to Silica Blast.
I won't be re-upping the Zen either, and probably the same w/ Top Booster & Bud XL.
I've yet to use the MOAB, just keep hearing good things...but this round, just the Rock. ;)

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
farmdalefurr, what would you pick if only allotted one supplement for veg and one for bloom?

For me, Roots excel in veg and first week or so of flower

Hydroplex throughout flower

My veg mix: 2ml Magical, 5ml Cocos A/B, 1.1ml Roots Excel.... comes out around 600ish ppm (.5 scale)

Flower mix: 7ml Cocos A/B, 4ml Hydroplex.... comes out around 800ish ppm (.5 scale)