What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa GROW Thread

hardhat22

Hey guys.I've got a couple of plants going that I'm assuming are mexican.I dug 'em from our river bank as seedlings.They have been in flower for about 10 weeks now.Maybe longer.And they aren't anywhere near finishing.No telling how long they'll take to finish.
I've never grown one that looks like this one.Am I right in assuming it's a sativa??

The other looks like any other bagseed I've grown and it has been in flower as long as the other one,but doesn't have the long skinny leaves I'm used to seeing in mexi brickweed.The mild skunky smell is starting to become more noticible and I may have to build a scrubber or try to mask the smell.

Peace

Ganico

Veteran
Depends on the strain. But there's sativas that take 170 days, haha

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
Well you can't just stick numbers on it like that. It ain't really just straight up and simple like that cause who knows what genetics you have. Only way to find out how long it'll take is to let it go until it's finished.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
hardhat, defo looks like theres sativa in it. the super long pistils and long calyxs give it away. what light are they under ?

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
@hardhat. yeah that looks pretty sativa. looks interesting too. I like the story behind them too. lol. The other one in the pic with the coke bottle does look like its got more indica in it. and mexicans touched up with indica are pretty famously skunky.

@pimpslapped. hmmn. thats interesting. I knew they could make industrial grade diamonds but I didn't think they grew them I thought they were a chemical pressure treatment or something. ( I had no idea I was just guessing) but I didn't know it was more economic to make them than to mine them. thats interesting.

@pirate. most of the mexi brick I grew and since we live in such close proximation we might be smoking very similiar weed. but alot of people call the schwag we smoke mids so I don't know. anyway on average based off how your plants look I'd guess 80 days open window and 100 to close it. probably be about right in the early 90s.

they have mexi brick that flowers for 4 months and stuff but they normally aren't anywhere near as developed as yours are by this point. so I'm guessin 90. btw any pics of the bud it came from?

B

buzzed day

hello Oblidio,things look good! you can revege a plant in the same countainer but you must leave a few sights on the lower branches and water it like it was a new born baby.verry little water for a long time because roots are verry big and plant is small !!!!! then when it revege take a cut.peace

Pimpslapped

motaco said:
@pimpslapped. hmmn. thats interesting. I knew they could make industrial grade diamonds but I didn't think they grew them I thought they were a chemical pressure treatment or something. ( I had no idea I was just guessing) but I didn't know it was more economic to make them than to mine them. thats interesting.

I'm rusty on my info, been a while since I was reading up on synthetic stones. HPHT (High Pressure, High Temprature) is what you were thinking about, one of the two primary methods of synthetic diamond production. CVD(Chemical Vapor Deposition) is the newest tech I've heard of, which is not really in commercial use yet on any scale last I heard. CVD basically uses carbon atoms in a fume/gas infusion into a chamber with a starter crystal, as the carbon settles out of the gas it forms into a crystalline structure attached to the seed crystal. So in essence, with CVD you are growing a diamond.

From Wikipedia: "As of 2006, the industrial diamond industry is an annual US$1 billion market, producing some 3 billion carats, or 600 metric tons, of synthetic diamond. This should be put in comparison with the 130 million carats (26 metric tons) mined annually for gem purposes."

Similar technique, using CVD is also used to color treat a lot of stones including pretty much any Topaz you see on the market that isn't clear white.

Okay, sorry for going off topic there.

I'm still hoping to find a Sat in my bagseeds, eventually one will have to show up. That and I'm slowly, slowly, sloooooowly working my way through the other RUST thread.

I must have just not been lucky when collecting my seeds, I know we've had mexibrick through here... though to tell the truth that was probably more than few years ago. These days I really don't know what all's around. I don't see much beyond unknown schwag and way overpriced locally grown.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
what area are you at? further north you start seeing alot of lower branch lower light buds from appalachia and other places just bricked up cheap. see alot of indica schwag in them.

but in case you didn't know mexicans have fatter leaves. so do africans from the same latitude. they aren't thin like colombian or thai weed. I'll find some pics if you want my camera broke but I might have one anway. you might just be misjudging them I don't know

yeah here you go. that leaf in the top middle is a classic mexican leaf. the one below it is hawaiian sativa which is probably thai pheno, and the one to the far right top row is a traditional se asian. vietnam black pheno. you can see the mexicans are just naturally fatter than thai. that mexican leaf is very stereotypical but its not uncommon for them to be even fatter than that. I know alot of people think mexican is all indica'd up because of that but its how it always looked. before anyone knew what an indica was.

but there definitely is indica'd up mexican now. not disputing that. especially more arid parts of mexico there more common. they get taken out naturally by mold in the humid areas. helps keep the indica influence at bay.

Last edited:

Pimpslapped

motaco said:
what area are you at? further north you start seeing alot of lower branch lower light buds from appalachia and other places just bricked up cheap. see alot of indica schwag in them.

but in case you didn't know mexicans have fat leaves. so do africans from the same latitude. they aren't think like colombian or thai weed. I'll find some pics if you want my camera broke but I might have one anway. you might just be misjudging them I don't know

"alot of lower branch lower light buds from appalachia " Bingo! Lets say I'm within easy enough day trip distance from the Great Smokies park... I consider myself to be living pretty much in the foothills of the Apalachians.

I've only grown out a few seeds so far, seemed to be pretty blatantly indica save for one that might have some Sat leanings... but that one turned out to be garbage, smokeable but had about as much potency as my toenail. Dunno if I screwed it up that badly, or if it was just a crappy plant. Hoping to have more luck with this run, we'll see.

If I can get ahold of a camera, I will try and put some snaps up... but from what it looks like... no Sats sprouted up yet.

Edit: Very nice pic there Motaco, I'll have to keep an eye out for those leaves. Wish me luck! I think I'm gonna need it.

Last edited:

hardhat22

smokeymacpot said:
hardhat, defo looks like theres sativa in it. the super long pistils and long calyxs give it away. what light are they under ?
150 hps.Both plants are part of my experiment with 12/12 from seed (seedling in this case)They are the only 2 that I have been pleased with so far.Seems the more sativa a variety has,the better it does under the premature 12/12 thing.May just be me though.
I have seed of some that grows hairs about 3 times as long as that but only flowers for about 90 days and grows really large buds.I have plans for a cross with that one

Hey Motaco.I think you may have been right about the light prohibiting trichs.3 days after raising the light to 10",I had 3 times the trich coverage.The buds have also beefed up faster than they had been growing so I'm attributing that to the lights also.The temps around the plant tops are staying at 78 F now as opposed to 82-84F.I'll be posting an update of them on sunday and you'll see the difference.Thanks alot man.I owe ya a big one.
Peace.

My raggedy little set-up

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1249274#post1249274

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
cool. I'm glad to hear that helped. it helps aromas and tastes develop too.

"famously skunky" LOL...this couldn't be more true. You see three main flower conformities coming from mexican hybrids, and all of them follow the skunk pattern.

I sure hope all these people growing bagseed are busy looking for quality genetics. If you can find a plant that will finish in under 80 days, with a bit of potency, you're golden. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you guys get some beautiful colors and aroma out of it if you get your conditions dialed in.

This is where bagseed is beautiful. It's perfect ammunition to use for beginners who are still learning which weapon is best to use, and have it zeroed in.

The southeast truly needs to make it's mark with their own line of genetics. The best way to avoid absorbing the same hybrids from Dutch, Cali, and Canadian genetics is to incorporate some of the exotic stuff still surviving south of the border. Much of it is allready being bred up with Dutch and Cali lines.

Like Motaco said, any major Mexican hybrid grows which have taken place in the past 30 years have culled almost every Indica trait except for the flowering-time and yeild. Aside from those aspects, there is very little influence.

Introducing indicas into the western hemisphere seems like a double-edged sword, in my opinion. Since, It's my belief that Cannabis Indica surfaces as a result of natural selection, but from thousands of years of artificial selection (in the same way domesticated animals came into existence).

It's possible then (from my beliefs), that the best source for new genetics would be through further testing on the strains which have become landraces in the western hemisphere.

A Hybrid Mexican pot plant is much more like an Africanized Bee than people realize. Any native landraces could easily be overwhelmed by hybrid pollen (which is releases upto six times per year), as opposed to the sativa pollen, which has much less of a chance to polinate.

We all owe a lot to people like Motaco, who are keeping these rare seeds isolated. If it wasn't for the true Cannabasseurs, trafficking organizations would have had us all smoking the same stuff. They hate all this variety. (hahaha)

ebi

hardhat22

EasyBakeIndica said:
"famously skunky" LOL...this couldn't be more true. You see three main flower conformities coming from mexican hybrids, and all of them follow the skunk pattern.
Could you elaborate on these 3 conformities,please??Skunk is a hybrid of a mexican sativa and an indica?

EasyBakeIndica said:
I sure hope all these people growing bagseed are busy looking for quality genetics. If you can find a plant that will finish in under 80 days, with a bit of potency, you're golden. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you guys get some beautiful colors and aroma out of it if you get your conditions dialed in.
Looking for quality genetics is all I've been doing for the last 2 years.So far,I've never purchased seed.But I'm looking into that now for medicinal uses.

My problem is inexperience.I can't tell the difference between a true sativa and a hybrid.I see pics posted here of landraces that look identicle to what I think of as a hybrid,usually with wider leaves and shorter flower periods than the bagseed I'm used to.

I've found one that finished at 44 days (about 50% amber)but could have gone a little longer.I have no more seed so I allowed a fast growing male to polinate it and I'm now growing out the seed hoping to find a similar plant.It has a powerful skunk smell,and purple calyxes.A flavor that I feel is unmatchable,and is very potent.

I have a couple of more that I've found to be very good
and I'm getting ready to do a grow of these.Lol,it'll be my first grow of known varieties with known flower times etc.It'll be a welcome change from having a thin grow of all unknowns.I hope guys like Motaco will hang around long enough to check out some of these bagseed genetics that I feel are worth hanging onto.

The southeast has made it's mark,but only locally.I know of 2 families that have grown and sold the same variety for more than 20 years.Both are potent sativas with an excellent taste.I only have seeds from one and I'm working on getting some from the other.I assume they are from some of the old school stuff dating back at least to the 70's.I also assume they are inbred yearly since the flavor and potency haven't changed through all those years.Finding seed in one of their bags is a rarity and I assume the few I have were a gift to me.

As far as hybrid pollen goes,I was recently shot down on another thread for suggesting that the old sativa landraces could have changed over the years because of cross pollination.I suggested that the farmers can occasionally plant to close to one another,allowing pollen to mingle.I was told that cannabis pollen doesn't travel far enough for that to happen.The guy was kinda snippy so I backed off,I avoid confrontations.
Thanks for the read man.I love learning anything about sativas.
Peace

Pimpslapped

hardhat22 said:
As far as hybrid pollen goes,I was recently shot down on another thread for suggesting that the old sativa landraces could have changed over the years because of cross pollination.I suggested that the farmers can occasionally plant to close to one another,allowing pollen to mingle.I was told that cannabis pollen doesn't travel far enough for that to happen.The guy was kinda snippy so I backed off,I avoid confrontations.
Thanks for the read man.I love learning anything about sativas.
Peace

I could be way offbase, but my understanding was that pollen can travel a long way on air currents. I think it was in one of the grow books I read somewhere that talks about coastal Spain/Mediterranean countries having issues with pollination from African plants along certain wind paths.

hardhat22

Pimpslapped said:
I could be way offbase, but my understanding was that pollen can travel a long way on air currents. I think it was in one of the grow books I read somewhere that talks about coastal Spain/Mediterranean countries having issues with pollination from African plants along certain wind paths.
I don't think you're offbase at all.I know pollen grains from different types of plants vary in size and shape but I can't imagine what would stop cannabis pollen from being carried long distances by high winds.There may be some factor that I'm unaware of causing it to lose it's viability,but every grower I've ever known,including myself have had outdoors plants polinated by unknown pollen that would have had to travel some distance.
Peace

Pimpslapped

hardhat22 said:
I don't think you're offbase at all.I know pollen grains from different types of plants vary in size and shape but I can't imagine what would stop cannabis pollen from being carried long distances by high winds.There may be some factor that I'm unaware of causing it to lose it's viability,but every grower I've ever known,including myself have had outdoors plants polinated by unknown pollen that would have had to travel some distance.
Peace

I found the reference I mentioned...

Rogue pollen from commercial hemp farms and wild or cultivated males can threaten sinsemillia cannabis grown outdoors or in greenhouses. Undesired pollen can drift from a few feet to hundreds of miles to pollinate flowering females and cause them to grow seeds.

Large clouds of pollen blow across the Mediterranean Sea from the Riff Mountains in Morocco dropping pollen on Spain and Portugal. In fact, local weather reports always include the cannabis pollen statistics. The reports are directed at people with allergies but are also used by marijuana growers.

Latest posts

Latest posts