What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did the vikings smoke weed?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see teas made from it, but probably more utilitarian- ropes, sails, twine, etc.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
You cant be getting high when you want to vanquish your enemies and breed their wives and daughters. Gotta be on top of your game.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You cant be getting high when you want to vanquish your enemies and breed their wives and daughters. Gotta be on top of your game.

The warriors of many countries in antiquity were known to smoke hashish before battle, no different really to the inebriated states many soldiers fought in for centuries thereafter.

:tiphat:

It would be really cool to get ahold of those seeds and use some genetic engineering to bring the strain to life!

My bet is that the strain would be called Valhalla!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Meade wine imported across Europe often contained hash oil as well as opium and psilocybe extracts.. Drugs are as old as man man :smoker:

troutman

Seed Whore
I think they liked Amanita mushrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

AHatformyRatViking.jpg

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
volga-trade-route.jpg

The vikings were advanced in many ways, not only were they fearless warriors, they were highly skilled traders and navigators believed to have reached the Americas and Asia.

Swordsmiths across Asia produced the greatest swords in human history, one of the examples is the Damascus steel which has similar chemical compositions to the metal composition of the Ulfberht swords. Many artifacts were discovered in modern day Scandinavia that originated from Asia, India and other Eastern parts of the World.

https://ancientexplorers.com/blogs/news/ulfberht-the-sword-made-with-tech-from-the-future

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah but you dont take amanitas to chill out I can tell you that lol

Also we should say that "Viking" was an act not a people.. They were all just the Norse tribes and to go on Viking was to go robbing or just getting yours, claiming land or women or whatever.. We came to call people from the Norse tribes that were plundering so to speak Vikings but as I say back in the Norse lands there were people who weren't going on Viking and therefore were just Norse people and the word Viking doesn't really apply to all Norse peoples just because some went on Viking.

All of our antecedents were incredibly sophisticated, the church and state has been white washing our history away none stop to make us all subservient to the current rulers.

The warriors of many countries in antiquity were known to smoke hashish before battle, no different really to the inebriated states many soldiers fought in for centuries thereafter.

:tiphat:

I'm not questioning what you're saying, but to me smoking pot before a battle seems like a really shitty idea.
Pot makes my body heavy and makes me want to sit down and take it easy.
If i had smoked pot before a battle i would have said, "forget this!", laid down under a tree and gotten faschinated by clouds while giggeling or something.

If i would have mixed a modern day battle cocktail it would probably be either straight amphetamine or a mix of it and a benzodiazepine

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I'm not questioning what you're saying, but to me smoking pot before a battle seems like a really shitty idea.
If i had smoked pot before a battle i would have said, "forget this!", laid down under a tree and gotten faschinated by clouds while giggeling or something.

If i would have mixed a modern day battle cocktail it would probably be either straight amphetamine or a mix of it and a benzodiazepine

Try taking some Amanita mushrooms then, or dont they're a bit nuts, they would make you smash right through your enemy's or think your flying like Rudolf.. Berserkas were so named because they took Amanitas to make them such psycho killers, where we get the word berserk from..

Santa Claus is representative of Siberian Shamen, just in the wrong colour, and your presents under the tree are just like amanitas waiting for you at the base of a tree where you would find them in nature :smoker:

W

Water-

yeah, heavy couch lock Hash might not be so helpful, until after the battle and the shrooms are wearing off.

But you need to try some old school african herb.

its like doing coke.

The Zulus , who were known as fierce fighters, were also well known for getting super high before battles

Try taking some Amanita mushrooms then, or dont they're a bit nuts, they would make you smash right through your enemy's or think your flying like Rudolf.. Berserkas were so named because they took Amanitas to make them such psycho killers, where we get the word berserk from..

Santa Claus is representative of Siberian Shamen, just in the wrong colour, and your presents under the tree are just like amanitas waiting for you at the base of a tree where you would find them in nature :smoker:

Berserk means, without shirt, refering to that they didnt wear armor in battle. Also the thing about Amanitas is a bit exhagerated. Some berserkers would simply change their state of mind naturally by doing rituals. Sort of like football fans today.
But probably some used mushrooms and maybe mead too.
Ive never tried amanitas so i have no idea what effects they have. Still though, has to be better than weed.

yeah, heavy couch lock Hash might not be so helpful, until after the battle and the shrooms are wearing off.

But you need to try some old school african herb.

its like doing coke.

The Zulus , who were known as fierce fighters, were also well known for getting super high before battles

Do you know which compund is responsible for this effect in african cannabis? I seem to remember something from the strainhunters about thc-a or v being plentiful in congolese weed

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Well its all a mish mash of semi truth.. Various tribes doing different things.. They traded far and wide though so some of the Norse tribes had access to various bits and bobs..

The Eddas wouldn't necessarily have mentioned them though because the Eddas were about the planets in their pantheon and not really humans and Amanitas were used more by the priesthood however they have been used in Northern Europe since the start of human habitation there, how much the Berserkers utilised them for warfare probably is over exaggerated but still Meade wine concoctions were widely traded, some of them containing Amanitas. They do grow prolifically in Northern European forests/woods and they make you feel unstoppable.

Last edited:
M

metsäkana

soldiers did not eat the amanita mushrooms before battles :p

no contemporary sources mention this use or anything similar in their description of berserkers.

Vikings have been alleged to have eaten amanita mushrooms in order to reach the so-called berserk in combat. However, the claim is questioned partly because of the fact that the effects of the amanita are central nervous system depressant.

shamans might used those to go on trip.. to predict future not soldiers :D

i dont know how true is that reindeer munched the mushrooms and they drinked the piss .. sounds far fetched but .. :D

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I'm not totally surprised, I never thought that much of it went on because I would personally not risk my odds on toadstools over sober if fighting and, as i understand it, Vikings raided a lot rather than being professional armies. It can give you sudden insane strength though.

My understanding is drinking the urine renders it easier to handle as a trip and less toxic and harsh on the liver however I would just consume less personally.

Ive eaten allsorts, id give reindeer piss a go :D

I'm not totally surprised, I never thought that much of it went on because I would personally not risk my odds on toadstools over sober if fighting and, as i understand it, Vikings raided a lot rather than being professional armies. It can give you sudden insane strength though.

My understanding is drinking the urine renders it easier to handle as a trip and less toxic and harsh on the liver however I would just consume less personally.

Ive eaten allsorts, id give reindeer piss a go :D

This thread got alot more interesting than i had expected :D

The thing about drinking the urine of someone who has eaten toadstools is like this according to some: the body can only use so much of the intoxicant from toadstools so by drinking the piss you get more people high.