What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ProfessorLefty

There is definitely a thing as too moist, start drier than you think, or do more than one at varying degrees of dryness.
24 hours initial drying is too short in general I'd say, especially if your starting material has some density.
As long as there is some (a little) moisture in the stems, you should be able to cob it up.

Wetter leads to very quick colour change and as the cobs continue to ferment, albeit more slowly, even once quite dry, you may find that in a year or so you end up with a black mass that doesn't have optimum aroma.
It will still bend you silly though.
Definitely such a thing as too wet, look at this sour little raisin after a one-week ferment at 25-30C:

1673529198716.jpeg

You can see how dark it is and how much moisture the parchment absorbed

It’s actually pretty terpy inside though, intense fresh herbs like rosemary and hops

Edit: harvest weight of this booger was 40g, cobbed at 20g, currently 18g, expect it to be 10-11g all the way dry

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Buenas trades fellow cobbers!

For the 3rd morning on the trot Mrs DM has requested Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian! It's certainly her new favourite, despite being so young and lacking the longevity of a aged cob.
It's giving her focus and energy to spare; it really is like she's taken a stimulant!

And it's more euphoric than I first thought! Every day she said "the euphoria is coming on". Not as euphoric as the aged Panama but euphoric!
I took 300mg yesterday morning and had a very productive morning!

So, this morning I decided to take 250mg of the Zacateca tribute cob that was made at the end of October.
The smell and taste are out of this world!
In fact, I've just been to the jar to sniff it in an attempt to describe it; I'm getting very sweet pine and perhaps a little mint.
And to better describe the taste, I've just broken off a small piece to chew, ¿possibly about 250g. (That'll "bend me silly" for the rest of the day😄).

Sweet pine and some spearmint.

After 5 mins of chewing it's now quite bitter but not unpleasant. The taste will improve as it ages.

The high it's very warm and sociable.

I've been out this morning to see my hairdresser, who just so happens to be one of my best friends in the village. It's his birthday tomorrow and for present I gave him 4 different small cobs.
I turned him onto cobs a year ago and like everyone, he loves them.
Besides being an awesome hairdresser, top bloke and one of the kindness, most generous men you could ever hope to meet, he just so happens to be a top class semi professional drummer who plays both locally and internationally in numerous bands. He's played Glastonbury at least once to my knowledge.
All during my protracted illness/surgery/infection, he was there all the way; on all my hospital/health centre visits, helping me with my poor Spanish and smoothing the way through officialdom with his genuinely charming manner.

The point to this being;

He has told me that if he gets high prior to playing, then it actually inhibits his playing. Once he's been playing a while then he's ok to smoke, but if he takes cob before he plays, it helps him get into the groove immediately and he plays like a man possessed!

The second dose of cob is coming on strong now!

This afternoon I took out my 4 original haze cobs after a month of being sealed up on top of my amplifier.

IMG_20230113_132806.jpg

Unfortunately the picture has come out upside down and I'm not too sure how to rectify it. No worries! 😂

The 2 one the left of the picture had 4 days drying before being cobbed and the 2 in the right 5 days.
You can see a colour difference just for the extra day. The starting material was very light and airy and quite dry, so i "sweated" at high temperatures and for quite long time to be sure to kick start them.
There was no sweat as buds were so dry going into the cob.

5 day dried
IMG_20230113_132826.jpg

4 day dried
IMG_20230113_132838.jpg

The smell is sweet with leather and maybe orange?, a little light mint?, I'm not the best at describing smells, but it's very appealing.
They're already developing a nice sheen and are quite sparkly. There's a nice hash tackiness you the touch.
They'll sit out in the ambient room temperature until tomorrow morning before being sealed up to age.

I might be tempted to sample just a little?
I've been very pleasantly surprised with taking samples of my other cobs at only one month old.

I think yes!, tomorrow morning I'll eat 250mg before I visit my friends for our Saturday morning coffee and a chat.

I think that's enough of my waffle for today. I'm so high and getting higher by the minute. This Zacateca is very euphoric and giggly! I feel quite silly!
And a bit loved up too!

Last edited:

CDNINCA

For the 3rd morning on the trot Mrs DM has requested Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian! It's certainly her new favourite, despite being so young and lacking the longevity of a aged cob.
It's giving her focus and energy to spare; it really is like she's taken a stimulant!

And it's more euphoric than I first thought! Every day she said "the euphoria is coming on". Not as euphoric as the aged Panama but euphoric!

So, this morning I decided to take 250mg of the Zacateca tribute cob that was made at the end of October.
In fact, I've just been to the jar to sniff it in an attempt to describe it; I'm getting very sweet pine and perhaps a little mint.
And to better describe the taste, I've just broken off a small piece to chew, ¿possibly about 250g. (That'll "bend me silly" for the rest of the day😄).

After 5 mins of chewing it's now quite bitter but not unpleasant. The taste will improve as it ages.

I've been out this morning to see my hairdresser, who just so happens to be one of my best friends in the village. It's his birthday tomorrow and for present I gave him 4 different small cobs.
Besides being an awesome hairdresser, top bloke and one of the kindness, most generous men you could ever hope to meet, he just so happens to be a top class professional drummer who plays with local and international bands. He's played Glastonbury at least once to my knowledge.
All during my protracted illness/surgery/infection, he was there all the way on all my hospital/health centre visits, helping me with my poor Spanish and smoothing the way through officialdom with his genuinely charming manner.

The point to this being;

He has told me that if he gets high prior to playing, then it actually inhibits his playing. Once he's been playing a while then he's ok to smoke, but if he takes cob before he plays, it helps him get into the groove immediately and he plays like a man possessed!

This afternoon I took out my 4 original haze cobs after a month of being sealed up on top of my amplifier.

View attachment 18801329
Unfortunately the picture has come out upside down and I'm not too sure how to rectify it. No worries! 😂

The 2 one the left of the picture had 4 days drying before being cobbed and the 2 in the right 5 days.
You can see a colour difference just for the extra day. The starting material was very light and airy and quite dry, so i "sweated" at high temperatures and for quite long time to be sure to kick start them.
They've remained unsealed until today.

5 day dried
View attachment 18801331

4 day dried
View attachment 18801333

The smell is sweet with leather and maybe orange?, a little light mint?, I'm not the best at describing smells, but it's very appealing.
They're already developing a nice sheen and are quite sparkly. There's a nice hash tackiness you the touch.
They'll sit out in the ambient room temperature until tomorrow morning before being sealed up to age.

I've been very pleasantly surprised with taking samples of my other cobs at only one month old.

I think yes!, tomorrow morning I'll eat 250mg before I visit my friends for our Saturday morning coffee and a chat.

I think that's enough of my waffle for today. I'm so high and getting higher by the minute. This Zacateca is very euphoric and giggly! I feel quite silly!

Excellent shots @Hombre del mont the colors are amazing and I can just imagine how nice they smell :). I can't wait until I get to try the cobs that I have underway! Oh yes, I too appreciate the line "bend me silly" -classic!

CDNINCA

@CDNINCA thank you brother for your kind words.

I wish I could take the credit for the wonderfully apt quote " it'll bend you silly" but the credit for that goes to brother @Taima-da .

I'd dearly like to use it as part of my signature, something like

Cob: it'll bend you silly!

What do you reckon?
Yes, when I read Taima-da's comment where he wrote that I was laughing out loud, literally! It was such a great line and I think we should keep that one going - as a signature/ tagline it's a winner!!
When I next open my cobs for inspection I need to take some more photos to share with the group. I don't know if the others here appreciate seeing them but I like seeing what everyone else has in progress!
Cheers, enjoy your day!!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Yes, when I read Taima-da's comment where he wrote that I was laughing out loud, literally! It was such a great line and I think we should keep that one going - as a signature/ tagline it's a winner!!
When I next open my cobs for inspection I need to take some more photos to share with the group. I don't know if the others here appreciate seeing them but I like seeing what everyone else has in progress!
Cheers, enjoy your day!!
Thank you brother!

Perhaps we should all adopt it?

I've certainly been bent silly today. I'm guessing I probably took half gram in total, in two divided doses.
My usual siesta was cut short; I just couldn't sleep.
It's levelling off now, but was a hell of a ride. Awesome stuff.

For sure, take some photos. We love to see them!

Tangwena

Veteran

Besides being an awesome hairdresser, top bloke and one of the kindness, most generous men you could ever hope to meet, he just so happens to be a top class semi professional drummer who plays both locally and internationally in numerous bands. He's played Glastonbury at least once to my knowledge.
All during my protracted illness/surgery/infection, he was there all the way; on all my hospital/health centre visits, helping me with my poor Spanish and smoothing the way through officialdom with his genuinely charming manner.

The point to this being;

View attachment 18801329

5 day dried
View attachment 18801331

4 day dried
View attachment 18801333

And a bit loved up too!

Beautiful stories yes the right cob makes everything creative and anything possible.
Sounds like the Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian is working its magic on your wife. I know I love having the energy and focus it brings as well.
I chewed some yesterday and spent 4 hours wading in knee deep water sight fishing for fat whiting.
Caught a dozen or more thumpers they swim in with tide over the flats sometimes in 6 inches deep water.
We were hassled by shark pups new born sharks about a foot long chasing everything that moved ha ha.
Too small to hurt you but they had a full set of teeth so you have to be careful unhooking them ha ha.

Beautiful shots of the haze cobs brother the difference the extra day drying made is easy to see.
The Zacatecas sounds like my kind of weed man love that feeling.
Your hair dresser is the second muso who loves the cob high you mentioned a chick who sang in a band saying it made her less inhibited when she sang thats exactly how it makes me feel to.
This thread is full of creative individuals with warm hearts I love it.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I have a question about making the cob.

I am going to use an entire plant including the top cola. Should I leave the main stem in the center of the cola when I roll the cob? Or, should I cut the buds off of the main stem before rolling the cob?

Thanks

Tangwena

Veteran
Wow JustGrowing, that looks great, colour is fantastic! 😋

Ringo, sometimes I leave everything on and clean before use but doesn't look as nice. Also be aware that those big stems hold a lot of moisture...
Spot on brother.
Major source of mold in some cobs not all.
I now remove all large stalks because of this danger they can store moisture for a long time and spoil an otherwise good cure.

Tangwena

Veteran
1 week after initial sweat and drying, sitting at 25-27c:
full

full

full

full

smells a completely different profile than the raw flowers, fermented and sweeter like cured meats, texture has become softer when you break up a small piece.
Sealed for another week, then check again.
This is the stuff dreams are made of once aged its going to be trippy for sure brother.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Ringo, sometimes I leave everything on and clean before use but doesn't look as nice. Also be aware that those big stems hold a lot of moisture...

That's the reason I asked. I wasn't sure if that moisture would be good or bad for the cob. I used to dry and cure all my big bids while they were still on the main stem. However, more than once I got mold right where the stem and the bud join. Even months into the cure, mold could still, sometimes, appear.

Now, I cut all the buds off the stems. It doesn't look as cool as a giant cola but I don't show off my pot as much as I used to. LOL

Thanks again, gang.

P.S. It just seems sad to cut these buds off the main stem. It's like chopping the statue of David into little marbles. LOL

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Even months into the cure, mold could still, sometimes, appear.
Same with big stems in cobs my friend. Great to dry them still on the stems though, slows down the process nicely.
I cured a couple of whole colas in a vac bag still on the main stem one came out ok but the second time I did it I had to cut out a lot of bud because of stem rot so now I dont do it any more.