What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

Ttystikk

Do your roots turn into a 5gal solid mass? Mine didn't, was wondering if any of yours got that big. Mine looked comparable to what I see in the pic....

Nice roots man! :woohoo:

Red eyed reality!

The roots reside in a 27 gallon tuffbox throughout bloom. The orange bit of bucket you see in the pic is just the top spacer part, I use it to give the netpot bucket lid a solid place to sit to keep out dry air and light. The roots float in the nutrient solution the whole time and end up looking like that when they come out. I'm hoping for even more impressive root balls from some bigger plants I have going right now- that particular individual only came out to half an elbow.

Ttystikk

Update; the individual in the pic came out to just a shade over 12 zips. The one on the other side is roughly the same size, 24/1kW= .68 grams per watt. We can do better. We have the technology.

Ttystikk

So it's become clear that my veg setup is not up to the job of supplying sufficiently sized plants to the vertical trellis, and the Super Silo is worse/bigger.

Ttystikk

Starting from the beginning, I'm giving each of the veg stages more room and more light. This won't solve the lack of headroom in the veg tent, so instead of just making the final prebloom stage bigger, I'll just convert it into a Super Silo stage. This will give the plants up to two weeks on the trellis to fill it in before flip. This will solve the problem of plants not filling in their trellis, methinks.

Ttystikk

just curious why you wouldn't just keep the same veg and add 1 plant to each silo?

My aim is to fully cover the 25 ft² trellis with one plant. Therefore, adding plants would add diameter to the silo.

I understand what you're driving at, which is to use more, smaller plants to achieve the same coverage. I'm trying to stay modular with standard size trellis, but of course you can use smaller plants.

At six feet tall, how much narrower does it make sense to be than four feet though?

Ttystikk

I've been chatting with a buddy who is good at process design and automation.

Having bitten at the automation apple, I've realized that it was a bigger bite than I could swallow by myself.

So far, the schedules I've built on an ad hoc basis are serving as a very good foundation for understanding both process and data.

From here, we can develop a monitoring/control/automaton scheme that accurately records the needed data in real time and uses it to maintain preset parameters, according to a program that could even change through time.

Better operational control and a much more complete picture of what's actually happening to my plants daily and over time is just around the corner!

Ttystikk

Having identified the root of the problem as a veg space that's too small, I'm about halfway thru a revamp of my veg space, plus changing things up so they can spend a week or so on the vertical trellis before flip.

The aim is for the plants to more fully fill in their trellis. Then maybe I won't be so damn shy about thinning the back (near) side of the plant to reduce larf!

I bet using these two techniques together will lead to better quality AND yield. We shall see, the girls always get the last word.

Ttystikk

Well fuck- spent time inside the Super Silo to defoliate, and it's just monstrous in there- thick green donkey dicks up to 2 feet long... by the dozens.

Ttystikk

Attachments

• 20140427_233515.jpg
    20140427_233515.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20140427_233239.jpg
    20140427_233239.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20140427_233226.jpg
    20140427_233226.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 9

Ttystikk

So the comprehensive veg zone rebuild plan looks like this;

0. Clones, either in rapid rooters or aerocloner.

1. Rooters get potted into 4" square pots, in a 1'x3' ebb n flood table under 2 bulb by 4' t8 shoplight, maybe add another shoplight.

2. Youngsters potted up to 8" netpot bucket lid and placed in a 3'x3' ebb n flood table. I need to build a lid for them to rest in so the bottoms of the netpots aren't sitting on the table-which of course inhibits the roots I'm trying to grow! Lighting will be some combination of t5 and/or a 130W LED. Or maybe 400W HPS.

3. RDWC built from 4 gallon square buckets to fit in tight spaces, plants will be in a space of as yet unspecified size. I'm considering using one HPS thouie, but I need to have even lighting. These will be encouraged to keep growing tall, NO TOPPING.

4. Instead of a final prebloom stage, just put them into the silo two weeks early; gives them a chance to grow in and fill it up before flip.

Thoughts?