What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kaskadian's Landrace Adventure

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hey all,

Hope you're all well! I've taken the plunge into the world of landrace genetics. Here's what's on deck:

1. Green Haze
2. Mangobiche
3. Purple Haze x Honduras

Had 6/9 beans pop. Plants were all put into Happy Frog soil right out of the bag from the start. No other amendments. Runoff is currently 6.7-6.8, and temps fluctuate between 72 f - 80 f. Topped plants once, and were fed once with a micro dose of cal/mag yesterday.

My plan is to veg these plants out and flower cuttings in smaller containers. Growing indoors I need to mind the size of these monsters. I'll even be playing with cuttings in hydro just for shits and giggles to see what I can make happen. There are a lot of problems with running these strains in a hydro setup (finicky with nutrients, size, etc), but that's for a later time and just for fun. My main focus is running cuttings in either a SOG or SCROG setup (soil).

Shoutouts to Dubi/Ace Crew, CBG crew, Terpene, and the rest of you crazy enough to play with landrace genetics indoors.

Updates to follow, cheers!

Kas

Attachments

• IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6134.jpg
    IMG_6134.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6136.jpg
    IMG_6136.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Kaskadian, I certainly wish you the best on your indoor grow. I moved to an outdoor setup. Your ladies are beyond my environmental capabilities. I will enjoy watching this grow over the winter. Good luck! Peace

Kaskadian

Veteran
Kaskadian, I certainly wish you the best on your indoor grow. I moved to an outdoor setup. Your ladies are beyond my environmental capabilities. I will enjoy watching this grow over the winter. Good luck! Peace

Farmerlion, thanks brother!

I'm not well versed in growing long flowering strains, so this is definitely a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to move forward with the mentality of "less is more", and see where that takes me. My biggest concerns are height limitations. I've heard horror stories of the landrace stretch, which is why I think SCROG/LST or even a SOG (with rooted clones) is going to be the way to go. I setup a few tents outside of my main grow area to play with these beasts, and I'm cautiously excited to jump in head first.

This is a great community full of great information, and thankfully people here have been very generous with grow tips/information on these strains. I read, and read, and read some more.

Thanks for hopping along for the ride! Glad to have you along.

Cheers,
Kas

Kaskadian

Veteran
Quick update folks...

Everything seems to be vegging along nicely. I'll soon be transplanting the plants in smaller containers into 5 gallon fabric pots. Nothing out of the ordinary with the exception of one un-sexed purple haze x honduras... this plant is putting out an EXTREME odor! I can smell this plant 25' outside the grow room even with proper ventilation. No scrubber setup, but I'm still surprised at the odor this little one is putting out.

Attachments

• IMG_6232.jpg
    IMG_6232.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6233.jpg
    IMG_6233.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 13

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Kaskadian :)

Thank you very much for starting a grow diary and for supporting our work.
Really interesting tropical sativa lineup you have there! ;)

Wish you the best, really curious about the outcome of the new Purple Haze x Honduras hybrid, i'm glad its smell is strong and desirable.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hi Kaskadian :)

Thank you very much for starting a grow diary and for supporting our work.
Really interesting tropical sativa lineup you have there! ;)

Wish you the best, really curious about the outcome of the new Purple Haze x Honduras hybrid, i'm glad its smell is strong and desirable.

Thank you for the feedback and advice Dubi! I'm loving the strains so far! I'll be keeping a detailed log and will pay special attention to the PH x Honduras.

Take care my friend

Kaskadian

Veteran
Quick update. Been working an insane amount and haven't had much free time lately folks. Zero nutrients thus far. Perhaps a few odd deficiencies but none the less they seem to be keeping on. I may need to transplant soon. I'm planning to take cutting when possible, and get those rooted and swapped to 11/13. Stretch is unreal on a few of these (especially green haze) even in veg with close lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_6294.jpg
    IMG_6294.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6295.jpg
    IMG_6295.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6297.jpg
    IMG_6297.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6302.jpg
    IMG_6302.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6308.jpg
    IMG_6308.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 12

Ncali

Veteran
Great looking plants sir! What's your veg light cycle during veg? The equitorial/tropical plants can take shorter light cycles and maintain a vegetative state without inducing flowering. A 14/10 on/off schedule may help curb excessive stretching, its pretty close to many plants' light cycle in the tropics. Dubi and DJ short have both written about it here on icmag and other outlets.

Anyways, should be a fun run dude. In my experience, the long flower lady's teach a lot. Many lessons on many different cultivation subjects, not least of all patience. Lol. That's been my experience.

:tiphat:

NC

Kaskadian

Veteran
Great looking plants sir! What's your veg light cycle during veg? The equitorial/tropical plants can take shorter light cycles and maintain a vegetative state without inducing flowering. A 14/10 on/off schedule may help curb excessive stretching, its pretty close to many plants' light cycle in the tropics. Dubi and DJ short have both written about it here on icmag and other outlets.

Anyways, should be a fun run dude. In my experience, the long flower lady's teach a lot. Many lessons on many different cultivation subjects, not least of all patience. Lol. That's been my experience.

NC

Hi NC,

Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate your valuable advice! Currently I'm running an 18/6 schedule for veg. If I'm indeed able to veg under a 14/10 schedule that's definitely a bonus even if just for saving some $$ on electricity. I'll have to look into that. I was planning on doing 11/13 or 10/14 for flower.

These plants are very strange... unlike anything I've ever grown before. A few leaves yellowed up and died, but they don't seem to be needing any food. I hit them once with a micro dose of cal/mag and since then nothing. These plants are about 4-5 weeks old now. It's wild how sensitive they are to nutrients though, I transplanted a couple and they almost appeared to having starting signs of nutrient burn from being put into new soil. Not sure if that's the case or if they're being picky about PH (6.8 Runoff -- seems fine to me). Temps and all else are stable but I'm having some difficulties getting a read on these plants.

Both Dubi and Terpene have talked a lot about just leaving them alone and letting them do their thing. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm hoping to catch any issues that arise very early on.

I'll most likely start snipping cuttings soon. The plan now is to root the cuttings, let them veg for 5-7 days and toss them under 11/14 immediately. I think I'll be going with a SOG or LST on these first time through. I'll try to work on scrogging a few as well, but I figure I'll just keep adding plants into the flower tent until I can't fit anymore. Planning on putting the rooted cuts into 1 gallon containers to control size. Flowering will be under a 600w HPS and I may add an additional 400w in there if I can keep the temps stable.

Cheers all and thank you for the advice and suggestions! This is my first run on these old world monsters and I am definitely learning so advice/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Kas

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hey all,

I’m really sorry for the lack of updates. I actually had some family issues that forced me away from home for a while. Unfortunately this meant I wasn’t able to tend the plants. They found a good home with a close friend and fellow grower.

I will be restarting soon and I will continue posting all my landrace shenanigans here.

I’ve still got the following beans:

Green Haze
Mangobiche
Purple Haze x Honduras

I’ve also ordered some more beans from Dubi and the incredible ACE/CBG crew. I’ve got Malawi, Ethiopian, Zamaldelica, and Old Timers Haze on the way.

I had 5 purple haze x Honduras beans left and tossed them in the paper towels. 5/5 popped and so far two have ripped through the coco.

Again guys, I really am sorry about what happened but family comes first. I’m just happy I was able to find a loving home for the plants I had. All is well now and I’m excited to get back into the swing of things.

Cheers,

Kas

The Hatter

Veteran
Sorry to hear about the family issues. Those were some crazy long flowering strains you were running. I hope your buddy knows what he is in for. We are talking like easily 10X stretch on some of those strains after the light flips.

ULMW

Greetings and glad tidings Kas. Pray you and family are doing well. Look forward to the grow when you get set ready again.
Happy growing!

Kaskadian

Veteran
Sorry to hear about the family issues. Those were some crazy long flowering strains you were running. I hope your buddy knows what he is in for. We are talking like easily 10X stretch on some of those strains after the light flips.

Definitely! I gave him plenty of warning and he said he’d give it a go. Whether or not he can handle them I’m not sure, it just didn’t feel right chopping vegging plants and throwing them away. I couldn’t bring myself to do that.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Don't worry Kaskadian, family always comes first!

I'm glad you found another place to continue with the grow of your tropical sativas, as others pointed out, be careful and plan correctly the space and flowering of your sativas.
Tell your friend to try to flower them when they are relatively small as they tend to stretch a lot in early flowering, especially when grown from seed.
And use a 11/13 flowering photoperiod since the start of the flowering to avoid excessive stretching and to boost the flowering process.

Thank you very much for placing a new order with us, you have an amazing line up of tropical sativas to play with ;) Best wishes!

Latest posts

Latest posts