What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

making money in a legal market

CaptainDankness

Agree whole heartedly on the WT101 (one of my faves) . Still, you can grab a fifth of Allen's and still have money left for taco bell with a $10.

Some folks have different priorities in M.

Yeah, does seem to be the norm, so many people drink cheap beer or cigarettes, just because it's cheap and does the trick.

Some people still smoke brick weed which I don't really blame them, before I really started growing I'd mostly smoke brick weed and occasionally buy good weed just because it all gets you high. Of course I always preferred good weed which is the biggest reason I started growing my own. It was never about making a fortune I've always charged my friends brick weed prices of course they will turn around and sell it for dank prices. But we all make some money in the end and smoke great weed for free.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Stasis

One of reasons you are experiencing "price concious" shoppers, is you have placed yourself in the poorest county in the State of M.

If your average scraping to get by local wants to get loaded and has $15 in his pocket, are they going to grab a handle of Allen's Coffee Brandy, or are they going to grab one bottle of Allagash Curieux?

I'm sure you realize this, though.

Thanks for educating Me, even though You're sure I realize it. I came here to open a dispensary with a partner who was raised here. Failing that, there is nothing for me here. We are looking at a building to purchase tomorrow. The Mayor of the Town is meeting us there. We're not playing. But, again, no dispo, no stay.

Although "Walmart" County IS the poorest in "m" (or one of em), It is the same everywhere, now. Michigan, CA, and even Downstate Maine (where the money is).... The problem is Middlemen who consider it normal to make more than the growers - Used to be a 1-2 point commission on every #. Now, all bets are off. AND, we have a "Legal" market, with all the rules, to deal with.

I have come to realize over the decades, that growers take all the shit. Except for those brief periods when things are great, which we have all had. I will not be standing for it anymore.

Wholesale prices are bottoming out under 2k for even "AAA's" indoor. It may not be worth it to be a grower/Caregiver anymore. And, as of yet, there is NO Boutique / Craft Cannabis market. Sheesh, We are being Written-Out of the system anyways, by over regulation.

I know where I am going with it. Dispo, or I go. And, even then, I am Keeping it to myself. Several interviews await in other states. Cheers...

hamstring

Veteran
I dont have a problem with your comment there is a element of truth in it. I work in sales and we target 22-24% margin. There are plenty of other markets that target 30-35% and retail is 50% and over.

You made a blanket statement for all sales and I dont think thats a fair or accurate analysis of the market. I dont know where the end game margin will be . Others have a better understanding of the market.:tiphat:

We are all on this site because 1) we grow and sell for money or 2) we are cannabis fanatics. 80% of average people who smoke just wanna get high and dont care about this cross or that pheno's terpene profile. Normal businesses make 15-20% profit margins so if a lb of flower costs 4-500 to produce you can expect that eventually they will be selling for about 6-700 as the market matures. Dont be butt hurt because the old underground model isnt efficient in the real world.

mackdx

Thanks for educating Me, even though You're sure I realize it.

Sorry if I came across as condescending. Not intended. Maine is a strange state and there is little that surprises me these days....

It will be interesting to see how legalization is finally implemented. My guess is big money is going to dominate the final decisions and folks like yourself looking to make a legitimate way in the market are going to feel the pinch.

Hope I'm wrong.

Stay warm!

KONY

Veteran
Thanks for educating Me, even though You're sure I realize it. I came here to open a dispensary with a partner who was raised here. Failing that, there is nothing for me here. We are looking at a building to purchase tomorrow. The Mayor of the Town is meeting us there. We're not playing. But, again, no dispo, no stay.

Although "Walmart" County IS the poorest in "m" (or one of em), It is the same everywhere, now. Michigan, CA, and even Downstate Maine (where the money is).... The problem is Middlemen who consider it normal to make more than the growers - Used to be a 1-2 point commission on every #. Now, all bets are off. AND, we have a "Legal" market, with all the rules, to deal with.

I have come to realize over the decades, that growers take all the shit. Except for those brief periods when things are great, which we have all had. I will not be standing for it anymore.

Wholesale prices are bottoming out under 2k for even "AAA's" indoor. It may not be worth it to be a grower/Caregiver anymore. And, as of yet, there is NO Boutique / Craft Cannabis market. Sheesh, We are being Written-Out of the system anyways, by over regulation.

I know where I am going with it. Dispo, or I go. And, even then, I am Keeping it to myself. Several interviews await in other states. Cheers...

Right now there is a fairly large and growing craft cannabis market in your state. You will likely have to travel a bit to find it, and network to make the connections.

For true top shelf smoke.... there is never enough and it's sold as soon as its dry. This stuff is NOT selling for under 2k a lb. The stuff ive seen for well under 3k a lb is mediocre. It might look decent and smell nice, but that's it.

There is no mouth coating effect of flavor from smoking it, and it needs to be cured for months to be smooth.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Right now there is a fairly large and growing craft cannabis market in your state. You will likely have to travel a bit to find it, and network to make the connections.

For true top shelf smoke.... there is never enough and it's sold as soon as its dry. This stuff is NOT selling for under 2k a lb. The stuff ive seen for well under 3k a lb is mediocre. It might look decent and smell nice, but that's it.

There is no mouth coating effect of flavor from smoking it, and it needs to be cured for months to be smooth.

I agree - the virtues of great genetics, grown with care is well-worthy...~ ! We (IC Maggers) all appreciate it here...

My preference would be to stay here for the rest of my life (with 2 vacays a year, to see friends elsewhere, and the world)...
Didn't move my 57-yr-old husk all this way for nothing... Maine is awesome, from a geographical standpoint.
People are as cool as anywhere else I've been, and better than most.

Other than wealthy consumers of Cannabis, though - and people can come and go - I do not see this market, yet. It's only been 4.5 months though...
I will look deeper, thanks for the tip...
In all three states that I have grown in, it has been the same. Middlemen called the shots.
Desperate growers who had to sell at low lows to pay bills, also kept the market weak for growers.
Maybe a bit of a boutique demand in NorCal, when Brokers in the Em Tri wanted something really good, they used to call me for an oz or a QP, after a nice sale.

So far, every outlet in Vacationland I have gotten in contact with only sold their own work (usually poor and harvested-early outdoor - basic strains), but were happy to accept my indoor samples, of course... Or, they had a range they would pay, regardless of quality (again usually the same old 'local' strains). My Pet Peeve is people negotiating before they even see the product. This is however, a testament to the mediocre expectations they have, regarding the quality they are not seeing regularly.

My assumption is that the reference above is to particular individuals, who appreciate Connoisseur Cannabis. And, that these people are willing to pay a reasonable price to get it.

Understood, KONY - Cheers.

I think your a little mis guided on the whole Maine thing. You can't move here and make money in weed especially if your from Colorado or California. Mainers like mainers, Maine growers have controlled their local markets with boutique quality cannabis at normal prices. You can't even open a dispo here the CDC application process was closed two years ago, you may be able to open a store if rules are ever set in stone but you have to have 2 year residency as well as anyone working for you. I own operate a storefront and grow been here 25 years doing so in some form. I'm still an out of stater in my town lol. Our lawmakers and people don't like greenrushers, people grow a lot of their own, and a population of 1.3 million that all have access to high quality weed at low prices. Market research is key. If your in Waco someone already basically owns the market you won't grow better weed then them.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
a few clubs in my town are selling eighths for 15$, so im guessing selling weed to the clubs is out of the question

how can people make money in a legal system?

Like anything in business, find a niche. Personally, I think there's an emerging market for very low THC/very high CBD.

But even in Canada, if you don't know your buyers, you're not going to sell squat. You could stand at the corner and try to sell, but that'll only earn you a few months in jail.

mayhem69

Like anything in business, find a niche. Personally, I think there's an emerging market for very low THC/very high CBD.

But even in Canada, if you don't know your buyers, you're not going to sell squat. You could stand at the corner and try to sell, but that'll only earn you a few months in jail.

I agree with your statement regarding cbd. I live in Pa. and want to start my own label. I am even thinking about starting a storefront and sell all cbd products.
I think it would do great here. Heck even on craigs list there is barely anyone selling cbd products.
Anyone on these forums know where i can start? Im looking for a good source.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I agree with your statement regarding cbd. I live in Pa. and want to start my own label. I am even thinking about starting a storefront and sell all cbd products.
I think it would do great here. Heck even on craigs list there is barely anyone selling cbd products.
Anyone on these forums know where i can start? Im looking for a good source.

CBD crew and Dr Greenthumbs has good high CBD strains. Make sure you get a few regular so you can get a male in the ground. Also make sure you're miles away from your regular plot. lol

W

We Wait

PA = Any number of plants Felony 2.5 - 5 years $ 15,000
Stupid phony law but the consequences are very real.

I don't ever see them ever doing away with this for they are set in their stupid ways.

They want to have their cake and eat it.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
PA = Any number of plants Felony 2.5 - 5 years $ 15,000
Stupid phony law but the consequences are very real.

I don't ever see them ever doing away with this for they are set in their stupid ways.

They want to have their cake and eat it.

Tell everyone you know to swamp your chosen politician with calls and letters. "I'm watching you. If you don't vote for this, I'm voting for the other guy. Even if he's a communist."

The other option is to just pack up and move. Fuck-em.

W

We Wait

Chase out all the money changers

By this I mean all of you, every single last one of you in this thread and on God's earth.

For you have all turned this place into a den of thieves.

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
I am a guinea pig and I hate it when the humans clean my cage too. :wave:

I agree that the more exotic strains, the more chances there are for smaller growers to succeed, so really there should be a huge effort toward developing new strains, which often involves back-crossing to the Parental generation, and so forth, until desired characteristics are reached, so many great strains have gone missing over the years, and now it is time to reach into the DNA of the Cannabis Plant and develop as many exotic strains as possible.

Of course, preserving the land-race strains would be a complement to this work, as thousands of years of breeding and acclimatization has already made these strains very unique and different.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Bob Green

I think the bigger corporations will let the new guys go to war and build up their brands for a few years then try to swoop in and buy out the winners. That also gives them time to lobby for the regulations that best suit a big business model.

The biggest change will be when federal regulations allow companies to move products over state lines. 5-10 years and we will most likely see this along with international imports from traditional hot spots like SE Asia, Africa, Central America.

Rough times ahead for someone trying to make a living off of a small indoor grow.

What is a small grow these days?

What is an acceptable salary for a grower?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Rough times ahead for someone trying to make a living off of a small indoor grow.

What is a small grow these days?

What is an acceptable salary for a grower?

Depends on how and where you grow I guess. Medo grows are huge with 25 plants.

When I was a kid, a small grow was 50 plants in the bush. Today, I consider less than 100 a small grow. Large would be 300+.

An acceptable salary? You say that like it's a valid career path. I wouldn't do it for less than 200k. But I've always had a regular job so it has to be worthwhile.

Bob Green

If your small farm is 100 plants and you need to make a minimum of 200k per harvest the farmer will need to make at least 2k per plant not including expenses/taxes.

If someone can pull off an average of 4-6 lbs per plant and can sell the pounds for somewhere between $400-$800 each then they might be able to pull it off.

But the quality of the flowers would need to be amazing and unique in the new market. The amount of folks who just don't smoke dry herbs keeps growing larger every day. It's just becoming easier for big producers to make shitloads of concentrates from their mediocre grown BS.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If I need to make 200k, then you can be sure there would be more than 100, and most would go to live rosin (first run) and hash (2nd run). Only the best buds would be bagged. Flower has been going out of favor here.

When the Ontario gov. shutdown the independent dispensaries, it created a glut. That has to work through, so 800 is reasonable. I'll wait for spring time to unload flower for a better price. Keep in mind that commercial medical producers couldn't provide and were running out by July last year.

I wouldn't do it for less than 200k.

No offense to the poster or those who followed up after, but this is funny to me. 200k? You want a surgeon's salary to take care of plants? How well do you stack up compared to the endless army of recent college grads holding a BS in Botany / Horticulture or, better, an advanced degree with very specific skill sets (i.e. tissue culture, molecular breeding, IPM systems, etc.). They understand that legal cannabis = normal wages in exchange for a killer opportunity to do something that you love everyday. Margins become tight very quickly when product doesn't move and I don't know of a SINGLE successful company that hires a "grower" and pays wages like that.

Hell, my brother and I co-founded and 100% own our company and have been cranking out great production varieties for four seasons now (i.e. we're established); we did it ALL--breeding, farming, scrubbing cloners, filling pots with soil, watering, answering emails, meeting clients at all hours of the day, filing paperwork, dealing with the banks and credit card processors, etc. etc. etc.--on our own until the middle of last year. At no point--even now that we're experiencing solid success and demand--has our COMBINED incomes even approached the number you threw out there.

Legal cannabis = regular farm job wages. That's the reality. 200k a year? Shit, I'd be stoked to get there myself.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
No offense to the poster or those who followed up after, but this is funny to me. 200k? You want a surgeon's salary to take care of plants? How well do you stack up compared to the endless army of recent college grads holding a BS in Botany / Horticulture or, better, an advanced degree with very specific skill sets (i.e. tissue culture, molecular breeding, IPM systems, etc.). They understand that legal cannabis = normal wages in exchange for a killer opportunity to do something that you love everyday. Margins become tight very quickly when product doesn't move and I don't know of a SINGLE successful company that hires a "grower" and pays wages like that.

Hell, my brother and I co-founded and 100% own our company and have been cranking out great production varieties for four seasons now (i.e. we're established); we did it ALL--breeding, farming, scrubbing cloners, filling pots with soil, watering, answering emails, meeting clients at all hours of the day, filing paperwork, dealing with the banks and credit card processors, etc. etc. etc.--on our own until the middle of last year. At no point--even now that we're experiencing solid success and demand--has our COMBINED incomes even approached the number you threw out there.

Legal cannabis = regular farm job wages. That's the reality. 200k a year? Shit, I'd be stoked to get there myself.

http://jobs.canopygrowth.com/

I don't mean to be insulting so don't take this the wrong way. Take it as constructive criticism. You don't have a business, you have a job. And dealing with banks? How in hell do you do that? Because money from your industry, deposited in a bank, equates to federal money laundering for them. lol

I'm 60 and was 18 the last time I worked for anyone. I sold my first business at 25 because it was a job. But the sale let me go back to school for a business degree because I was obviously missing something. I've had three businesses since then and always made a business income. If you can't clear 80-100k on your own, then you're doing something wrong. Are you looking vertical? In this day and age, you should be.

Even guerilla growers are going vertical by adding value to their flower. The days of growing one product for everyone are almost gone. Mexican farmers are moving from weed to poppies, but it'll be a few years before a demand for domestic supplies rebound. And there's a fight brewing in the US over the legalities that also work against you. By the time the dust settles, there won't be any room for you to compete against the economies of scale corporations will bring, unless you go vertical and be ready to supply those corporations with preprocessed products. Think about your future and invest now, or you'll sink after years of low profits.

Latest posts

Latest posts