What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kayla needs some comfort.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

These are my dogs Kayla, Scooter, & Alice (l. to r.). Kayla is granny pup to Scooter & she's Alices mom too.

27323HPIM1801.JPG

Scooter has been 'rehomed' to a friend whose springer spaniel had died breaking his daughters heart, we all visit often.

again Kayla on the left.......

In the past year she's had several major medical issues which have cost me plenty of cash and even more in time & effort in administering to her needs, don't get me wrong I'm not complaining but I am quite weary of the angst in my day to day worries about her health, it's been draining my spirit slowly.

Just 60 days ago due to good meds & therapy she had recovered the spring in her step & spunky behavior of days past, an energy I hadn't seen in a couple of years from her.

Today I got the worst of news in that the cancer which was cut out from her in June has spread elsewhere in her precious little body. I don't think it's fair to subject her to chemotherapy to gain what might only be a few months time.

I'll be giving her medications to hopefully allow her some comfort in the last of her days.

Kayla has the sweetest disposition of any dog I've ever owned or met, if I left her with any of you overnight by the morning time you'd swear that you'd owned her for years, she adopted everyone instantly and loves unconditionally. Whenever a friend offered to watch my dogs for a few nights I'd always get the same offer upon my return: "We'd like to give Scooter & Alice back to you but keep Kayla." Nobody ever wanted to let go of Kayla.

Maybe I have no right in comparing a dog to a human but I have no children and no immediate family left now that mom's gone so these dogs are my kids and I know I'll shortly be mourning Kaylas loss. I would gladly carve years off of my life to add to hers if I could.

please find a little time if you've read this to offer a prayer or some kind thoughts for my 'little nugget' (her nickname) finding some comfort in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

zenoonez

Veteran
Aw I am so sorry, I hope that you can indeed ease her suffering and see her through to the end. It is a hard time of year to get news like this but hopefully it will be a blessing in disguise. Good things come out of the bad whether we like to admit it or not and just because it hurts us to lose a friend doesn't mean that life wont be getting better. Best of luck and vibes your way.

ROJO145

Veteran
Its the hardest thing in the world havin to put a loved one down,my sympathies.Its something ya never get used to S4L,best thing ya can do is be there and ease the pain,she knows ya love her bro!!Sounds like Kayla had a long and happy life bein spoiled and loved by a great family and she leaves offspring to remind ya's of her.I hate dealin with dyin,human and animal.Prayers sent:wave:

P

pine boy

Tough times ahead for you stoner.I have a feeling though,that Kayla has had as good a life as a doggie could.
Good vibes and prayers sent for the three of you

T

TrichyTrichy

Lots of Love and strength to Kayla and you ((((((hugs)))))))))))

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

thnx you all, yeah she's long in the tooth for a springer, @ 14 yrs old this week most anything else is borrowed time imo, funny thing is that Kayla/Alice/Scooter ~ 3 generations bred while owned by me were all whelped in the Christmas week.......

bird

sucks to lose a good friend. make her last as comfortable as you can buddy. i had three chow half breeds and lost them all in 2 months :(
pray for them we all will
and all dogs go to heaven

Suomi-Prkl

Veteran
sometimes animals make better friends than humans, Kayla sounds like a true partner!

i wish a pain-free take off for her and hopefully you can see some of her traits in the progeny! the gems live on!

ddrew

Veteran
She looks beautiful, they all do.
Spend all the time with her you can now, extra belly rubs, secret treats that the others don't know about, lots of hugs and kisses, etc.....

I

idoreallytry

sorrry bro,,,hard to replace a friend that never has let u down and never would they are few and far between,,my best brother,,,peace

hiker

Stoner4life, so sorry to hear about Kayla. My first dog, same thing at 6 1/2. I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you, and just do your best to keep her comfortable in her last days. Just think of all the great times you've had with her and enjoy every last minute you can with her. Take care, and I'll send some positve thoughts out to Kayla.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

thnx for the prayers, good vibes and karma for Kayla you all; her labored breathing is gone, swelling is way down and it's easy to see that she's feeling fairly normal again, the doctor said it would be 4 or 5 days 'til the meds kick in and so I can hope for maybe a bit more quality in what's left of her life.

we surely thank you all.......

E

Encore

I have recently went through what you are now. Wife and i made the tough choice to put down our best friend, companion and protector of almost 7 years, a very special (Great Dane) who was the very definition of the moniker "Gentle Giant". Its all about the animals quality of life.

And in the end you must put there needs before your own and alot of times this leads to a emotionally devastating out come, but it must be done. It is the circle of life. Every thing and one, has a beginning, middle and end.

Just know that she experienced the love, only you could give. And when, whats done is done, she will be at peace..

The Creation​

When God had made the earth and sky
the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
the fish, the birds and bees.​

And when at last He'd finished
not one was quite the same.
He said, "I'll walk this world of mine
and give each one a name."​

And so He traveled far and wide
and everywhere He went,
a little creature followed Him
until it's strength was spent.​

When all were named upon the earth
and in the sky and sea,
the little creature said, "Dear Lord,
there's not one left for me."​

Kindly the Father said to him,
"I've left you to the end.
I've turned my own name back to front
and called you dog, My friend."​

Author Unknown​

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

thnx Encore, don't worry I'm not the kind to let a dog linger or suffer.

it's a 50 foot walk to my front door from the den where we sit, a straight shot no obstructions and tonight instead of doing it at her usual pace she did a little running/bounding for about 20 feet of that 50, higher energy level or excitement on her part & good to see.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Damn bro, sorry to hear that-- I love all my animals, and it is very hard to lose any--
Positive Vibes going out to Kayla and you bro--:comfort:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Love is the undying understanding that binds us to our dogs.

I feel for both of you... you're in my prayers.

May she enjoy her days to the fullest and rest easy when she's tired.

:ying:

TheOutlawTree

sorry to hear about your dog man, at least shes lived a great life! death is a part of life, it is hard to get past, but im sure kayla would rather you were happy remembering the time with her, than being sad and depressed about it.

My dog is like my brother, i fuckin love him to death, hes only 3 1/2 though, hes got many many years ahead!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
prayer for Kayla

prayer for Kayla

may she recognize that you are attempting to act in accordance with her best interests.
may you remember her as trying to show you some hope in her gait.
may you both endure.

I'm really sorry your 'family' is going through this bad time.

Trichrider

Latest posts

Latest posts