What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

Green Squall

farmers market re-opened for the season this morning. got some peaches & cream corn on the cob, a basket of tiny red taters, a cantaloupe that smells wonderful, and a huge green tomato. sliced the 'mater up & fried it, had eggs over easy, a fist full of bacon, and some really thick-cut multi-grain bread toasted & slathered with good butter. these strawberries are plumb ugly, but lots more flavor than the "pretty" ones we normally get stuck with. gonna have the corn, a pan of corn bread, and probably some fried red taters (mmmm, starches i aint supposed to eat :yummy:) and onions at supper. gotta remember to pick up some heavy cream to whip for the strawberries. cantaloupe will prob get the knife at breakfast in the morning...:headbange
They just cancelled our farmers market for the 2022 season. I guess their reasoning is the site where its held will be getting a facelift in anticipation for the centenial celebration next year, so the genius committee suggested it be moved to a "parking lot" which is an absolute bonehead suggestion. I guess there are a few other small ones within driving distance, but nothing that compares to the size of this one.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
most, if not all, of those we caught are called "sand tigers" along the Carolina coast. never did look them up for a positive ID. used to be difficult to fish for kings over there because of the danged hammerheads. they play hell on the tackle used to target mackerel. :biggrin: the few reports i've gotten from the coast these days tell me that the shark population is crashing/crashed, just like biologists have been warning. if you believe any msm, asian longline fleets are killing incredible numbers of sharks solely for their fins to make a popular soup...

moose eater

Tail-end of the deep-fried self-abuse celebratory series of meals... at least for a day or 2.

Deep-fried breaded Alaska cod with our homemade tartar sauce, our own deep-fried French fries from the Satina spuds from last year's harvest (this year's seed spuds are on the way, and I was able to get several varieties that are more common to our farming history), and deep-fried organic breaded white button-top mushrooms, a bitter melon smoothie, and some more cold chaga tea.

Had more of the organic salad mid-afternoon with a half of a Ruben sandwich, made with uncured beef pastrami, dark rye bread (half-toasted), organic raw sauerkraut (drained well), Jarlsberg Norwegian Swiss cheese, avocado mayonnaise, and a bit of extra hot horseradish with the mayo, then toasted/roasted open face under the broiler until the Swiss cheese shows numerous golden-brown spots, then slam the 2 together, cut it in half, and hand the other half to your spouse, telling them, "Now don't ask me for anything for Mother's Day." (Just kidding. Sharing the half of a Ruben with my wife helps to reduce the inherent carbohydrates by 50%... .and she's more than earned it.

Last edited:

moose eater

dang, moose! i'm gaining weight just reading about your meals...
I'm still barely hovering at my recently accepted holding weight, and frankly, it has me a bit concerned, though not like it did when I dropped about 65 lbs. a bit before surgery last year.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Re. the sharks, I sorted drag shrimp in the end of 1978 for a bit, and with drag fisheries/trawlers (a filthy stinking unethical fishery if there ever was, and that's being overly kind and generous to the bastards!), we'd get -everything- that the giant nets found on the bottom of the ocean, and if they're targeting something as small as cocktail shrimp or slightly larger, that meant that EVERYTHING the net passed over and trapped was coming up. "By-catch" is what the folks in fisheries management called it. 'Criminal wanton waste' and the product of money and lobbyists in federal government is what we call it.

But in that mess they'd bring us, we'd find sand shark, Irish lord, yellow eye, other rock fish like what we know as black sea bass, our version of flounder (a true shit fish, not the same as East Coast flounder, though similar in appearance), and everything else you can think of.

I've had salmon shark (they get up to 20 ft. sometimes) smoked with everything from peppermint schnapps in the brine, to more customary brines. It has more texture and is firmer, but it was quite tasty.

shithawk420

Veteran
Whoa! 20 footers? Something tells me if I got a boat we would either be swimming in good food or we would end up like the SS Minnow in Gilligan's island and no Mary Ann or Ginger.be like Jaws.were gonna need a bigger boat! Ya know Orca's are real dicks.they are killing great whites.i say we sucker punch free Willie and see how he tastes.you could say I'm joking but am I really!? Lol hint I'm not

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fresh Stuffed Lobster caught 6 hours ago served with shaved carrots , lettuce, baby tomatoes ,cucumber, and mayonaise with a hint of lemon stuffed with mature cheddar delicious to say the least...
20220508_141326.jpg

Three Berries

Been experimenting with a sugar free Keto chocolate bar/frosting/fudge depending on consistency of the final product recipe. Using Coconut oil (hard at room temp, butter and a dash of olive oil. Heat and add cocoa powder and mix. Add Stevia to taste for sweetener, beware package instructions.

Then I add unsweetened cocoanut flakes sometime peanut butter.. Spread it on a sheet of parchment paper and chill to hard. Then slice and dice at room temp to see how the consistency is. The Olive oil and peanut butter make them more buttery, coconut oil harder. Some butter is salted too and that will affect the taste.

rod58

Just had fresh homemade brawn on toasted turkish bread . bloody alright !
this was kangaroo and pork head brawn which we made after making italian style sausage so the pig head never went to waste .

shithawk420

Veteran
Just had fresh homemade brawn on toasted turkish bread . bloody alright !
this was kangaroo and pork head brawn which we made after making italian style sausage so the pig head never went to waste .
Uhh did you say kangaroo? What does that taste like? But gamey? Lol

rod58

Uhh did you say kangaroo? What does that taste like? But gamey? Lol
I certainly did hawk .. it's quite gamey if the roo is an older animal but we generally shoot the younger bucks and it's mainly the tail i eat . cook it down over a few hours and all that ligament melts and becomes very glutinous . a bit like lamb neck or lamb shanks . bloody delicious mate !
just made a spag bol with lamb mince , tomatoes and capsicum .. that too was bloody delicious !

shithawk420

Veteran
I can't even imagine.kangaroos are dangerous.i remember this vid where a guys dog was getting in an altercation with a roo and the guy punched in square in the face like crocodile Dundee! Damn that was funny