What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Baby's Breath seed project

two heads

Veteran
Two heads here. Greetings from the swamps of Southern Ontario and a special hello to all the old friends from the Overgrow days.

I noticed Stoner 133 grew out some Baby's Breath seed this year but couldn't find out how it turned out for him. I would PM but I don't have enough posts (and likely won't - I won't be a frequent visitor the way I was with Overgrow. I also have an unread PM but can't access it for the same reason. Anyone looking to contact me, please reply to this thread).

Anyway, it's been two seasons now since we last grew our Baby's Breath clone and embarked on the Baby's Breath seed project. Last year was pretty good but not great. The herb was good but not as good as the original and we got barely enough herb to last till this year's harvest.

For seed this year we used seed from the two best plants from last season. The good news is that so far the quality seems to be excellent - perhaps as good as the original Baby's Breath. Quantity won't be huge but, again, probably just enough.

I have a few harvest pics which I'll upload as soon as I figure out the process here at icmag. Mainly I'm interested to know how Stoner133 did and anyone else who ended up with Baby's Breath seed (Sorry about you getting the hempy version Wotamess... though that is the only offspring that consistently showed the beautiful magenta pistils)

Last edited:

two heads

Veteran
OK, I guess I can't attach images, probably because I don't have enough posts. Check my gallery if you want to see how the harvest day buds looked.

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
AM I HAPPY TO SEE YOU HERE BRO!

heres two heads 07 babys breath from his gallery! damn i wanted to grow this for a looong time now. these pix brings back dream visions!
10853Harvest_bud_3_small-med.JPG

10853Harvest_bud_2_small-med.JPG

10853Harvest_bud_1_small-med.JPG

btw i think Stoner 133 is more present over at planet ganja
edit, stoner133 changed name to stoner https://www.planetganja.com/highsociety/member.php?u=1643

Last edited:

Mr. Smoke

HEHE I remember you from OG. Is that the same strain in the left background of the 3rd picture. I hav'nt seen Stoner 133 on here since like april, he always has a spring harvest.

Very nice plants Two Heads.

two heads

Veteran
Cheers Esbe. Thanks for posting my pics and thanks for the update on Stoner. I'll look him up.

Mr.Smoke - yep, all the plants in these pics are from the same strain - one of two favourites from last season. It turns out the seeds were the product of self-pollination. We had all female with the odd male flower at the branch base. We plucked the ones we saw but assumed our crop would be littered with seed but so far we've only found the odd seed.

If I get enough posts for PMs, I would be happy to share some seed from the original BB seed project (two seasons back, no seeds left from last year and probably very few from this year).

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
good to hear bro, i will give you my addy on the karma cheers!

could you please show us some of your old bb pix?

two heads

Veteran
Esbe, I can't attach pics yet but I have posted a bunch of pics to my gallery from 2003, 2005 and 2006 (2004 was flooded out). There are a few there that show the beautiful colours in the original Baby's Breath. Post any that you like!

Stoner133

Our paths have crossed again, good to see you old friend.

The seeds came from your '05 season. I started them in early June, 4 germination's were grown out 'till mid July when I applied the training.

The first male showed about that time and I was eagerly watching the remaining plants for flowers. Late August, two more males make an appearance and the first female preflower on the last remaining. I was a little concerned about getting skunked, but luck was with me. :D

I kept the early male aside and pollinated a branch of the Baby's Breath in mid September. Several of our friends have expressed interest in checking it out.

Turns out, my pollen control leaves something to be desired, I have also managed to lightly pollinate my Planck with the early flowering Baby's Breath.

The Baby's Breath was harvested yesterday, got them hanging now. :D

They sure smell good, fruity. They should be dried and ready for a toke test in a week or so.

Last edited:

two heads

Veteran
Great to hear from you as well Stoner. Good timing too as you just brought in the Baby's Breath yesterday. Hopefully those seeds will be viable. The Baby's Breath offspring are definitely later than the original - early male pollen may help bring earlier maturation next year.

Keep me posted. I look forward to a smoke report! Any other strains from this year?

Thanks for posting those pics esbe. If anyone is curious the top two are Baby's Breath, the bottom is cured BB and the second last pic is the BB seed project from 2006 - the source for this year's seed.

Last edited:

Stoner133

Yours were later flowering as well, interesting. I attributed it to the 5 degree latitude difference, my long Summer days extend well into late August.

They were helped along by a fine Indian Summer, some minor frost damage, but they took it in stride. I found them frozen stiff one morning.

They shared space in garden with Planck. This was the last group shot, Baby's Breath is right rear.

two heads

Veteran
Still here, off and on anyway. The other head and I ended up with a little under a lb. each after losses due to mold. As the Baby's Breath Seed Project matures later than the original, we were affected by a frost and mold setting in on some of the largest buds. Oh well, should make for a lot of bubble this winter.

I was in Toronto yesterday purchasing seed to add to next year's garden. I got Belladonna (Paradise Seeds) from Sacred Seed and Thai Rain (Doc Bush) from the Seed Exchange. If any one has a grow/smoke report on either of these I would appreciate hearing it.

If Stoner is out there - how's the Baby's Breath smoke?

hamstring

Veteran
two heads

Nice to hear from you I learned a lot from your grows on OG.

I use swamp/marsh growing to start my seeds in a mini-green house in swamp/marsh. Great security, I took a lot of ideas and experience from your thread at OG.

"Knowledge is power" PEACE

C

crownedsparrow

also if stoner is out there, could you explain your training system showned above in the baby's breath? iv heard of LST but that doesnt look unstressful.

two heads

Veteran
Thanks Hamstring. Now maybe I can learn something from you. The last two years we have been growing from seed and having dismal germination/survival rates in the swamp. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for stopping in Brad. I remember your outdoor grows from OG.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Two heads
I really think there are way better people on this site to answer that question. I will do my part and hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

I know of course you grow in containers with holes and placed in some standing water. Always watered not much attention needed and no rippers to worry about. My best Guinness beer commercial voice . !!!Brilliant!!!!

All I do is bring the presoaked seeds in a paper towel out to my site and sow them in my home made 25 gal greenhouse with potting soil and some seed starter on top. Add water and hope for the best. I usually sow more than enough seeds because of the conditions.
My container is black (heat retention) has no holes and is almost completely covered. I have to be at the site every week for a few weeks to take care the seedlings do not dry out. The green house keeps wind, deer, rabbits or even rain from damaging the young seedlings. Even keeps many insect pests off of them. I do not grow in the swamp/marsh just use it as a nursery. I get full sunshine and no one to bother the girls.

Never would have considered it if I did not read your thread over at OG
PEACE

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Forgot to mention as you probably already know but do want people to wrong idea and get burnt by using this method.

I am starting my seeds May1st-15th and hopefully transplanting June1st - June15th. They are not seeing full summer heat I do not believe they would survive under the greenhouse.

Although it is well ventilated and once the seedlings have a few sets of leaves you can really pour the water in the container may be even a 1/4 full. The wind and sun keep the first couple of inches from being saturated even though bottom 3-4 inches of the container is full of water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts