What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Browsing totally anonymously

1st – let me get my qualifications out there beforehand - i am not much above the "fred flintstone" of computer and computer programing – but this involves security and i'm surprised to see there no mention of TAILS here on ICMag

i was a visitor to the orig Silk Road website, mainly cause i thought it was a hoot to visit, the drama i saw there was better than any crime TV show.

But the 2nd reason I visited, i loved their security forum. Learned a lot about security and the pitfalls we all commonly make, identifying ourselves on the internet. They had a full step by step instructions for using TAILS. Tails stands for The Amnesiac Incognito Live system, or a linux operating system that had been modified to delete any traces of where you'd been. The beauty was you could install it on a thumbdrive, shut your computer down and reboot with the thumbdrive in one of the USB ports of your computer, and the computer would boot off the operating system on the thumbdrive.

The 2nd layer to the security was the fact that Tails came with a TOR browser already pre-installed. If you don't know what TOR is, TOR = The Onion Router. TOR was designed by the US Navy in mid 90s to enable military personnel overseas to browse or email without revealing their location. How it works is, there are TOR servers around the world (a good number are privately owned, not govt servers). The TOR network uses .onion in the urls, not .com, .org etc. But the TOR software, when a packet goes to a TOR server, it only shows that server ID of the sending server but not any IDs on the servers it passed thru before hand. The tor software routes any browsing thru 4-5 servers around the world, so even if you were US based, and trying to hit ebay here in the US, ebay would be getting the signal from a server in czechslovakia or madagascar, literally. And the tor software did not show your true IP address - it would substitute an anonymous IP address.

But for browsing and keeping who you were anonymous, it's perfect. The fact that serious druggies around the world were running it and surviving played a factor in convincing me. Plus there were some pretty sharp computer software literate individuals in the security forums with the “do’s and don’ts” described.

The negative is the browsing experience is somewhat slower – think fast dialup or DSL speed vs broadband because your signal is bouncing around the planet thru a few other servers.

BTW, the Silk Road went down, not because of NSA or DEA breaking their security (or the TOR network) but because the idiot that owned broke the basic rule - after selling a large qty of a white powder ($27K worth) to a buyer, then became "friendly" with that buyer and ended up trying to hire him to "hit" someone, and that buyer proved to be an undercover FBI agent. He’d also left some clues to his identity (like his real email address)in various other forums, some were software writers’ forums, that helped the feds to identify himself.

Installing TAILs on a thumbdrive requires two thumbdrives, but does not affect your desktop's operating system - it remains the exact same.

I had copied and saved the installation instructions – and they got a computer idiot like me to successfully install. First time took me over 1 & ½ hours but after that, installing on a spare thumbdrive, updating TAILS etc, 20-30 minutes . If folks are interested, I can post those instructions, then maybe the computer guru members can help with any installation issues.

For more info on TAILS - https://tails.boum.org/ i believe the phrase is "it's open sourced software", so it's been inspected / checked out to not have any backdoors, hidden spy whatevers

Don't know if folks are aware of this, it has come out that windows (as did a number of others) gave the gov't a backdoor (to your computer) in all their operating systems, i think since the 32bit version of XP was the last system that didn't come with it - but the updates to it slip that backdoor in. That means if big brother is watching you post, and you say something that intrigues him/her, he can slip into your computer, and monitor you up close and personal. I know that gives me the "warm & fuzzies".

Let me know and i'll post those instructions
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Skip

Veteran
"Browsing totally anonymously"

Uh, what do you fear about "browsing"?

I don't recall ANYONE getting busted for "browsing".

It's not browsing that will get you in trouble. I guess that's not what you really meant.

In fact it's very rare for any bust to occur just based on Internet activity.

There has to be more and it usually has to be at a local level.

At the local level, your Internet activity can be tracked and TOR won't do anything to help you. Local ISPs know everything you do.

As the OP said, Windows and many other popular software programs have backdoors for the NSA to spy.

So how will TOR help you if the NSA/DEA is already monitoring your computer?

If you really want privacy, then don't do your biz on the Internet or via phones or any other electronic communications. That is the only way to protect your privacy 100%.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Really you never heard of the FEDS visiting a family because they searched prshcookr and bkpck?

I don't even want to spell it correctly.

Skip

Veteran
Oh, yeah, you're right! They'll soon visit EVERYONE who enters "cannabis" in a search engine. Get ready for the DEA at your door! RUN!

BTW, I said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I don't recall ANYONE getting busted for "browsing".[/FONT]
Did they get booked or were they exonerated?

See just "browsing" even with "terrorist" keywords won't put you in jail. It would take something else.

skip "...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At the local level, your Internet activity can be tracked and TOR won't do anything to help you. Local ISPs know everything you do..." Again, this was designed by the US Navy (who also set up a number of TOR servers around the world) to enable military users to use the web without revealing their location on the planet.

actually, according to the security gurus that used to populate silk road (they're probably still there at the new silk road 2.0, i just haven't visited since the old vs went down), your local ISP will only know the first TOR server you get sent to, but nothing after that. After that, TOR is constantly changing your IP when it leaves each TOR server. And the TOR servers don't pass the address packets along, that usually travel with your search signal or email when a signal (or whatever it's called) is forwarded. There was mention of the international intelligence agencies, NSA and their counterparts, working together to be able to track a TOR user but they didn't think it had been co-ordinated yet - it would take co-ordination with intelligence agencies in all or most of the countrys the servers are hosted. Do a google on TOR and a little research, suspect in not too much time you'll be far more versed than i'll ever hope to be

The instructions below include the instructions for setting up TAILS with a persistent volume. The persistent volume is, for those as computer illiterate as i am, is simply like adding another section to your computer, like "D", "C", etc, but you're adding it to the flash drive. You will password protect that persistent volume - without the password it will be hidden from view from anyone starting TAILS using your flash drive, in the event someone finds it.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Passwords - try to read the post i'm about to throw up on passwords - you really want a long (25 characters or more) password of nonsensical words and/or characters.
[/FONT]

Reason for the persistent volume: TAILS will not remember anything you've done (ie browser history, etc) on the next time you you reboot into TAILS. Even stuff you leave on your TAILS desktop (that TAILS didn't already have on it) will dis-appear when you shut TAILS down.
Basically, when you save whatever bookmarks you need, you setup your bookmark file in the persistent volume so it'll be there on next reboot and the TOR browser will automatically look there. The Electronic Frontier foundation, and other privacy groups, endorse TOR and to a lesser extent, TAILS. But Tails is using TOR, so that's all i cared about. Warning, using TOR from your windows operating system is unsafe, in terms of privacy. The Tails loaded on the thumb drive bypasses your windows op system when it boots

For those that might have some trepidation, let me state unequivolcally, if i can learn to use it as quickly as i did, anybody can (well, maybe not my 96 yr old grandmother). Hell, the on screen template looks like a simplified version of a windows desktop. It's motivated me, if i can find the time (like over the coming holiday) to learn linux, i am - the fact that windows caches so much, including thumbnails of photos you saved, looked at etc makes me wonder, is microsoft uploading those and analysing them to know what ads to steer at me? And if they can use them for that purpose, what other purposes can they be used for? No matter how innocent i am, i feel no need to let my gov't look into my activities, interests, etc. What's next - do they want to know how many times i've bonked the wife unit?

Also when you are running TAILS off your flash drive, you can move stuff to your windows desktop, or grab stuff off your desktop and move it to the TAILS desktop.

The last few paragraphs show how to install "electrum" which is an electronic wallet to store your bitcoins on your own thumbdrive or wherever else you care to - if you use bitcoins, apparently, some of the miners have been "hacked" and lost all the bitcoins they were storing for folks. If you have any questions on that section, i'll answer what i can.

You will need an 8GB thumb drive or flash drive (think i paid $8 for this one with 8 gb of memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3K116K4564 so we're not talking major money - you will need two of them, or one plus a writeable DVD). Tails leaves under 2 gb free out of the 8GB, so if you're going to want to save photos etc, you might go for one with more gigabits - this one's about 1/2" X 1.5", and fits on my keychain nicely, so if i go over to a friends house, and use his computer, i don't forget it there - kind of hard to start the car without my car keys.

[/FONT]
Below, instructions as copied from the orig poster's thread

Full Tutorial - Installing Tails LiveUSB with a Persistent Volume.
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:59 pm »

READ ME!!! I'M IMPORTANT!!! ***>>> Pendrivelinux Universal USB Installer has a new "persistence" feature in the latest version (1.9.3.6). I have not tried this with Tails yet, as such I will not entertain any questions on how to go about using it until I am satisfied my own knowledge of it is sound. Thanks for your patience and understanding, also, If you have successfully used this "persistence" feature in UUI while installing Tails, let us know what happened. <<<***

Tutorial Part 1 - How to install Tails onto a USB drive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tails stands for "The Amnesiac Incognito Live System". Tails is a live system that aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity. It helps you to use the Internet anonymously almost anywhere you go and on any computer but leave no trace using unless you ask it explicitly. It is a complete operating-system designed to be used from a DVD or a USB stick independently of the computer's original operating system. It is free software and based on Debian GNU/Linux.

Tails comes with several built-in applications pre-configured with security in mind: web browser, instant messaging client, email client, office suite, image and sound editor, etc. Tails relies on the Tor anonymity network to protect your privacy online: the pre-installed software is configured to connect through Tor, and direct (non-anonymous) connections are blocked.

Tails is being constantly updated for security flaws - you WILL need to do this all over again soon to stay safe! This comes from the Tails website - "It's very important to keep your version of Tails up-to-date, otherwise your system will be vulnerable to numerous security holes. The development team is doing its best to release new versions fixing known security holes on a regular basis."

You will need 2 x 8GB USB thumb drives (4GB may pass), they are very cheap and available almost everywhere.

*** Update: Meatgrinder has posted steps on how to install Tails to a DVD first, then onto a USB from there. Thanks! ***
*** Update #2: Vegeta has offered a way to install Tails to USB with the use of a virtual machine. Thanks! ***
*** If any of the links do not work, please PM me and I will update them for you! ***
*** All of the following links can and should be downloaded through the Tor network! ***

1 - Download the latest version of the Tails .iso file from here - remember where you save it (latest stable version: 0.19) -
https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html

1a - If you are an advanced user, you can download the cryptographic signature on this same page and then verify the download with the Tails key from here -
https://tails.boum.org/tails-signing.key

2 - Download the latest version of the Linux Universal-USB-Installer from here (latest stable version: 1.9.3.6) -
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

3 - Run the newly downloaded Universal-USB-Installer

3a - Read and 'agree to' the disclaimer

3b - Select "Tails" from the first drop-down list, it's towards the end of the list (step 1)

3c - Browse to and select the Tails .iso file (step 2)

3d - Select your USB drive letter (format the drive if its not empty already) (step 3)

3e - Click 'Create' button then wait for it to finish. Will be a few minutes at least.

4 - Restart the computer and boot into Tails from the USB drive (see below for details on Booting from a USB drive)

**** (Steps continue in the next post!) ****

Booting from a USB drive:
-------------------------------------
If it does not automatically boot to the USB drive, you need to select the boot order, some newer computers will allow you to select which drive to boot to with a small menu, without changing BIOS settings. You might instead need to edit the BIOS settings, restart your computer, and watch for a message telling you which key to press to enter the BIOS setup. It will usually be one of F1, F2, DEL, ESC or F10. Press this key while your computer is booting to edit your BIOS settings. You need to edit the Boot Order. Depending on your computer you should see an entry for 'removable drive' or 'USB media'. Move this to the top of the list to force the computer to attempt to boot from USB before booting from the hard disk. Save your changes and continue.

Many Flash Drives ship USB-FDD formatted and some systems will not detect or even boot USB-FDD. Most systems can however boot USB-ZIP, and or USB-HDD. If you are having a hard time getting your BIOS to detect your flash drive, you can try to format it as USB-HDD or USB-ZIP using the BOOTICE program (or similar).
(Caution - this is a very advanced program! Use with caution - follow links for the latest version) http://www.pendriveapps.com/bootice-partition-flash-drive-edit-boot-sector/

For more detailed instruction on how to boot from USB you can read
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflash.htm

If you have problems accessing the BIOS, read this
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-access-bios/

Any other questions, ask away. or PM. ;D

I will not accept donations for this tutorial, I offer this only in hope that more people will start using Tor. If you have excess bitcoins you feel like donating to a worthy cause, please send them to Tor or Tails...
https://www.torproject.org/donate/donate.html.en
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/donate/#bitcoin

Next up: Installing a Persistent Volume alongside a LiveUSB copy of Tails (this is why you need TWO USB drives)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:11 am by Fallkniven »
Report to moderator Logged
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." -- Lucius Annaeus

PGP Key: http://dkn255hz262ypmii.onion/index.php?topic=174.msg697759#msg697759

"...Who's bending down to give me a rainbow, Everyone knows it's Windy..."
Fallkniven

[thank] [discourage]
Don't tread on me.
View Profile
Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Step-By-Step Tutorial - How to install Tails onto a USB drive.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15 pm »

Tutorial Part 2 - Setting up a LiveUSB version of Tails, then an Encrypted Persistent Volume.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may want to print this text out on paper for easier reference.

*** (Continued from first post!) ***

5 - You should now be presented with a log in prompt for a temporary session administration password - this is reset every time you load Tails, it is optional to enter this, it is used to allow current session access to system functions, if you get any errors about access rights try using an admin password at log in. Also at this point you can optionally select to use a Windows XP camo 'skin' to make Tails look more like XP if you're in a public place for example, this is also optional.

7 - Once Tails is up and running, insert the second USB drive. Click the 'Applications/Accessories' menu, then highlight 'Tails', then click 'Tails USB Installer'.

7a - Click the 1st option "Clone & Install"

7b - Select your target device from the drop-down menu (your second USB drive!)

7c - Click 'Next', then wait for it to finish (however long to copy about 1gb to a USB drive - usually a few minutes). This will install a new copy of Tails onto your second USB drive, this will be your new proper Tails USB.

8 - Shutdown this session of Tails with the Power Button up in the right-hand corner. Don't forget to take out the FIRST USB you created and BOOT INTO THE NEW SECOND TAILS USB! You can format the first USB drive later on, that copy of tails is no longer required.

9 - Log in to the new Tails USB, once logged in click the 'Applications' menu, then highlight the 'System Tools' sub-menu, then click on "Configure Persistent Volume". (The size of the persistent volume is automatically determined by how much left over space is on the USB drive after installing Tails in the previous steps.)

9a - Choose your pass-phrase for the persistent volume - you will need to enter this every time you login to Tails. The persistent volume is an encrypted partition protected by a pass-phrase. Once the persistent volume is created, you can choose to activate it or not each time you start Tails. It is a good place to store sensitive materials. When choosing your pass-phrase remember that short, easily guessed pass-phrases are very easily cracked - it would take one Intel I7 2600k CPU over 200,000,000 YEARS to brute-force crack an AES-256 encrypted 32 random character pass-phrase using lowercase, UPPERCASE, 0-9 & "$p3c|4!" characters ;) )

9b - Click "Create" and wait for it to finish.

9c - On completion, a window will popup allowing you to select what Tails will save in the new persistent volume automatically, internet shortcuts, PGP keys, nudie pictures, application settings etc... I recommend selecting everything.

10 - Close and reboot with your modem plugged in and switched on, log back into Tails with your new persistent volume.

11 - Make sure your modem is plugged in and turned ON! Click the 'System' menu, then highlight the 'Preferences' submenu, then click on 'Network Connections'. Now, only YOU know what type of internet connection you pay for, I cannot help you with that! My personal internet connection was amazingly simple to setup (i was quite surprised by its pre-configured setups, it has many different countries options for local telcos pre-installed).

Another note - Tails is PRE-CONFIGURED to go through Tor! It is pre-installed with Vidalia and a Torified browser called 'IceWeasel'. It SHOULD automatically open up when connected to the internet. If not, Use the 'IceWeasel' browser menu shortcut to get onto the Road. Also, this operating system is NOT persistent for security measures, meaning that any changes you make (that are not saved in the persistent volume) will not be saved on restarting Tails! Example is Desktop Backgrounds and general GUI appearance settings (if you manage to get these settings saved and persistent, please let us know!)

silkroadvb5piz3r.onion - remember it!

You are now finished! Feel free to click through all the menus and play with the applications, log into the SR forum and let us know you're using Tails.

You can also head over to this excellent thread by Just Chipper - "HOWTO: Install Electrum Bitcoin Wallet on Tails LiveUSB"
http://dkn255hz262ypmii.onion/index.php?topic=94939.0

Any comments, questions or criticisms are welcome ;) 8)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:53 am by Fallkniven »

HOWTO: Install Electrum Bitcoin Wallet on Tails LiveUSB
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:58 pm »

***SUPPORTED VERSIONS***
Electrum- 1.8.1
Tails- 0.20
***SUPPORTED VERSIONS***

***NOTE***
ALL APT SETTINGS MUST BE SELECTED IN PERSISTENCE
***NOTE***

***NOTE***
YOU WILL NEED TO DO THESE FIRST STEPS IN TAILS 0.19 OR OLDER. THEN YOU CAN UPDATE TO 0.20
***NOTE***

***ALL TEXT IS CASE SENSITIVE***
Boot Tails from USB drive
Input Persistence password
Select "More Options" from boot menu
Input administrator password
Boot into desktop
Open Applications>Tails>Configure Persistent Volume
Input "/home/amnesia/.electrum" into the custom persistent volume field
Select "Add"
Select "Save"

***NOTE***
NOW YOU CAN UPDATE TO 0.20
***NOTE***

Open "Iceweasel"
Go to "electrum.ecdsa.org/download.html"
Download "Electrum-1.8.1.tar.gz" to your Persistent folder
Open "file manager"
Browse to "/home/amnesia/Persistent"
Extract "Electrum-1.8.1.tar.gz" to your Persistent folder
Close "file manager"
Open "terminal"
Issue the command "sudo apt-get install python-qt4"
Exit the terminal
Open gedit from "Applications>Accessories>gedit Text Editor"
Select Open
Browse to "/home/amnesia/Persistent/Electrum-1.8.1/electrum.desktop"
Find the line that starts with "Exec="
Edit the line to say "Exec=/home/amnesia/Persistent/Electrum-1.8.1/electrum"
Find the line that starts with "Icon="
Edit the line to say "Icon=/home/amnesia/Persistent/Electrum-1.8.1/icons/electrum.png"
Create a new line that says "Path=/home/amnesia/Persistent/Electrum-1.8.1"
Select Save
Close gedit
Open file manager
Browse to "/home/amnesia/Persistent/Electrum-1.8.1"
Launch "electrum.desktop"
Select "Mark as trusted" from the pop-up window
Select "New" from the pop-up window
Memorize the "Mnemonic code" as this is how you can open this wallet on other devices
Input encryption password
Select "TCP" as connection protocol
Input a server from list of Hidden Services in server field
Input "50001" as port
Uncheck "try random servers if disconnected"
[FONT=&quot]Select "OK"[/FONT]

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Oh, yeah, you're right! They'll soon visit EVERYONE who enters "cannabis" in a search engine. Get ready for the DEA at your door! RUN!

BTW, I said:
Did they get booked or were they exonerated?

See just "browsing" even with "terrorist" keywords won't put you in jail. It would take something else.

I don't think they are coming because we type cannabis or bho, but if one cultivates a schedule I narcotic, visits from the feds are inconvenient. So if the feds do show up, it probably will lead to a bust.

And therefore easy anonymous surfing is a goal of many.

:joint:

silk road site was busted so i would not follow their security advice

actually do a google, the owner got busted cause of stupid idiotic elementary mistakes

a) the feds apparently somehow connected him to DPR (Dread Pirate Roberts) from some posts he had made BEFORE silk road was set up and he had used his own email address in a forum for software code writers where he'd asked questions re pertaining to silk road - he later went back and changed his acct's email address but the feds had their own "way back machine". Then b), to really confirm his identity to the feds, after selling, iirc $27k worth of coke to a buyer thru silk road, he became friends with the guy over the net, then asked him if he could wack a guy (former employee that was blackmailing him). He'd already transmitted half of a $80K "hit" fee. Buyer turned out to be an FBI undercover agent. Then c) they intercepted (again, by customs at the border) some fake IDs he'd paid for and had them sent to i assume his house in San Francisco.

BTW, it came out on SR, the secret svc had, since 2006, taken over a website that sold fake driver's licenses, etc, out of Vegas - and they continued to offer the fake IDs. The "sweet" part for the secret svc was that the buyers would have to transmit a digital photo of themselves for use on the licenses. It came out in 2011, so they ran that sting for 5 years

They never did crack SR, and in fact, 4 weeks later SR vs 2.0 was up and running. Except for users that got busted by their product being discovered crossing by customs searches, i haven't heard of anyone being caught up in a SR net.

But SR didn't design or set up TAILS - do some research on it, it's pretty serious and decent security.

here's one story in Forbes, and there are others, details (like the cost of the hit) change between the different news stories out there but the other facts remain the same

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkon...owner-known-as-dread-pirate-roberts-arrested/

[FONT=&quot]Feds Say They've Arrested 'Dread Pirate Roberts,' Shut Down His Black Market 'The Silk Road'[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Silk Road, shut down by the feds even during a fed shut down. (Credit: Krebs on Security)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even during a federal government shutdown, drug pirates aren’t safe. Popular online black market Silk Road has been shut down by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and an individual alleged to be its infamous owner, ‘Dread Pirate Roberts,’ has been arrested, according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation complaint.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ross William Ulbricht, allegedly the ‘Dread Pirate Roberts’ owner of Silk Road, was arrested in San Francisco on Tues. at 3:15pm PT at a public library and his popular site shut down.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ulbricht, the alleged Dread Pirate Roberts, from his Google+ account.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Krebs on Security uploaded a photo of Silk Road apparently shut down by an FBI raid and has since published the full government complaint. It alleges that Ulbricht is the mastermind behind the Silk Road, and the ‘DPR’ behind its booming marketplace of activity for narcotics and other illicit goods, the most famous use of the open-source electronic money known as Bitcoin.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The FBI calls Silk Road in the complaint “the most sophisticated and extensive criminal marketplace on the Internet today,” used by several thousand drug dealers and with revenue of over 9.5 million Bitcoins to date, which the FBI approximates as worth $1.2 billion in sales. (Bitcoin values fluctuate widely over time, making any comparison difficult.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ulbricht has been charged with one count each of narcotics trafficking conspiracy, computer hacking conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy. In perhaps the most surprising instance in the FBI complaint, the government alleges that DPR even used his site to try to arrange an assassination.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ulbricht allegedly paid a bounty of 1,670 Bitcoins, about $150,000, to put out a murder hit on a Silk Road user seeking to extort him. Ulbricht was told that the crime had been carried out, although the FBI could not confirm any person was actually killed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Agents found Ulbricht after Canadian border authorities routinely checked a package intended for his San Francisco home and discovered nine fake identification cards within, which Ulbricht allegedly was seeking to obtain to rent more servers to power Silk Road as it massively expanded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 29-year-old University of Texas graduate had first created a trail for himself, however, by asking for help working with Tor dark web tacticts on coding site StackOverflow.com, the complaint says. His original question appears to remain on the site here.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ulbricht also appeared very active on social media. He’d recently flagged a video on YouTube, ‘How To Get Away With Stealing,’ calling it “for later.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The man behind Silk Road’s commission on the activity, the FBI alleges, has totaled 600,000 Bitcoins, or about $80 million by its own conversions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Dread Pirate Robert’s life, formerly behind the scenes, was the subject of a recent FORBES’ cover story, “The Man Behind Booming Black Market Drug Website Silk Road.” In the story, DPR, or Ulbricht as the FBI now claims, told Andy Greenberg he couldn’t communicate outside of the underground anonymous Tor software system through which he operated Silk Road, noting: “The highest levels of government are hunting me, I can’t take any chances.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a separate interview, DPR told Greenberg that he hadn’t started Silk Road but had taken over for Silk Road’s true founder, who was “well compensated” for the switch and remained active. The name ‘Dread Pirate Roberts’ is a reference to the movie ‘The Princess Bride,’ in which the character by that name mentions having his own predecessors.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If DPR’s claim to Greenberg is true that he was not the first administrator on the site, it’s possible that the government’s manhunt is not over. The FBI complaint also notes DPR had several associate administrators working with him to operate the site.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Silk Road didn’t just sell drugs. The FBI says listings also offered social media hacks, illegal contact lists, currency and firearms.

It appears that looking to purchase identification may have been that unnecessary chance that has put an end to the current DPR’s run, but there were other holes in the system. FORBES also purchased marijuana over the Silk Road market and found its purchases could be traced.[/FONT]

one obvious tip if/when using TAIlS - do not visit websites where you have an account or identity setup, and then sign in - you just blew your cover

2nd one the security gurus pushed pretty hard - don't download anything, especially pdf files - apparently adobe has some pretty serious tracking code built into their pdf files

You can run TOR on your windows operating system, but there are so many vulnerabilities in windows, everybody urged folks not to go that route.

i'm sure that there are dozens of other tips, but those two should get you thinking.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Use obfuscated tor to reach the network and don't ever go to a non https:// site.

They can track your surfing, even with tails and tor, if the organization looking for you is tracking both the entry and exit node you use. Exit nodes are only used when you leave the network, requesting a non encrypted page. Don't go there. :)

Keep it Clean! :D

Use obfuscated tor to reach the network and don't ever go to a non https:// site.

They can track your surfing, even with tails and tor, if the organization looking for you is tracking both the entry and exit node you use. Exit nodes are only used when you leave the network, requesting a non encrypted page. Don't go there. :)

if that's the case, i would think we'd be reading about all the busts the FBI had made - i find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be pumping the media for the publicity as a deterent to others, if they were doing that. If they could accomplish that, that easily, i don't think there's any doubt they wouldn't be doing it. From their own statements to the press, they claim they'd been working on capturing DPR for 2 years.

I've no doubt it can be identified at the end of a string of tor servers, but as the security experts on the old SR posted, it would take massive coordination with intelligence agencies thru out the world.

If you haven't run tor, download it and run it - there's an icon that will show you the servers it's running thru (by country location) - it's crazy the routes the signals travel - ie, South Africa, Siberia (and/or some of the "....tans", etc quite a few of which are not friendly to the USA/UK intelligence network then back down thru Madagascar. A good number of the servers are volunteer servers, ie non-government or communication company owned) put online by individuals interested in privacy. TOR offers the server software and actively asks for volunteers.

But i don't know enough to dispute anyone on a technical basis - so i have to make my own judgments on which technical expert opinion to rely on.

Rod Serling

OP makes some good points, however I am too paranoid to trust TOR or anything related anymore, especially with the recent bust and the one last summer. O yeah, that along with the fact that TOR was created by the govt. makes me a little suspicious as well. For my personal shit I use a vpn, there are some decent free ones out there like hss, but I recently upgraded to PIA to try it out, and it's pretty nice. Now I am no computer expert, but from what I have gathered a vpn encrypts what you are doing, even from your ISP. So I do that then "spoof" my MAC address every time I use my vpn ( I leave it off for actual personal things, banking, email, etc) and feel pretty secure by doing this. Thoughts?

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
I prefer vpn as well. i use jap/JonDo. They sure are capturing the data but I aint gonna make it easy for them to read it.! Use a vpn on ic mag and your double encrypted!
for the feds!
:moon:

Rod Serling

I prefer vpn as well. i use jap/JonDo. They sure are capturing the data but I aint gonna make it easy for them to read it.! Use a vpn on ic mag and your double encrypted!
for the feds!
:moon:

Yup! Cool beans man, do you do anything to your MAC address then, cause as far as I can tell, that would be the only thing to lead back to you with a vpn

TheCleanGame

Veteran
if that's the case, i would think we'd be reading about all the busts the FBI had made - i find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be pumping the media for the publicity as a deterent to others, if they were doing that. If they could accomplish that, that easily, i don't think there's any doubt they wouldn't be doing it. From their own statements to the press, they claim they'd been working on capturing DPR for 2 years.
Uhh... the whole point of TSR is that it's an https site... basically an encrypted website hosted on an encrypted p2p network.

Yes, they can identify people the way I stated. Is it easy? No... but definitely doable for anything 'worth' the effort. You HAVE to leave the tor network though as they need to track your entry and exit points. Just going to TSR using TOR doesn't require using any exit points.

Drugs are not worth the effort. TSR ran just fine until the operator screwed themselves.

Latest posts

Latest posts