What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wilting clones white looking residue

2muchhh

I am having trouble with my cloning efforts. They have been in about 2 weeks and 3 are popping roots and others have bumps close to rooting. Using a bubble cloner, no dome, 30-40% humidity, water temp stays around 65 degrees F and temps stay at 70 degrees F in the room. I change the water every few days and ph it to 5.8-6.0. Using a compact florescent light about 2 feet from the box. Enough light for them to live but not enough to make them produce leaves affecting the rooting. Using clonex gel to promote root growth.

The problem I am having is the clones are drooping badly and a few are dead. There is a white looking residue on the stems and where leaves connect to the stems. When the clones die you can see in the picture below that the stem thins in the middle cutting off the rest of the clone killing it. You can see in the 2st photo the stem thinning which is how they are dyeing. In the 1st photo is a magnified image I took with my usb microscope showing the white stuff up close.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• thinned.jpg
    thinned.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 9
  • white_residue.jpg
    white_residue.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 15

MrBungle

Are you holding it at the cut site?

what did you use to make the cuttings?

was it sterile?

I'm guessing that you are experiencing some type of contamination

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I am having trouble with my cloning efforts. They have been in about 2 weeks and 3 are popping roots and others have bumps close to rooting. Using a bubble cloner, no dome, 30-40% humidity, water temp stays around 65 degrees F and temps stay at 70 degrees F in the room. I change the water every few days and ph it to 5.8-6.0. Using a compact florescent light about 2 feet from the box. Enough light for them to live but not enough to make them produce leaves affecting the rooting. Using clonex gel to promote root growth.

The problem I am having is the clones are drooping badly and a few are dead. There is a white looking residue on the stems and where leaves connect to the stems. When the clones die you can see in the picture below that the stem thins in the middle cutting off the rest of the clone killing it. You can see in the 2st photo the stem thinning which is how they are dyeing. In the 1st photo is a magnified image I took with my usb microscope showing the white stuff up close.
View Image View Image
This being your first post, I'm not sure how much experience you have, hope this doesnt sound condescending.. I too, from my beginning, have used a bubble cloner. I like the water temps 70-75ish.. IMO, clonex is useless in bubble cloner. I run local tap water at about 225ppms PH-7.5.. and my cuttings are smaller at about 5-6" (3 inches into bubbler, 2-3" to the light) . success is about 80-90%.. IME, longer clones didnt have as much success and took longer to root... I havent changed water since I put cuttings in there, took some out and put more... maybe 4-5 months.. just keep topping off with straight tap water... Have never seen white residue like that.. maybe from clonex?? dono.. GL

starke

The thinned section of the stem in your photo looks like classic "damping off" which I have experienced in both seedlings and clones when temps are too cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts