What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized seed size vs regular seed size

I just received fem and regular seed of the same cultivar from a seed bank and the fem seeds were much larger than the regular seeds.
No original packaging (i requested)

What's do you think would be the cause?

Highly suspect?

Mystic Funk

hey!
other than the reg seeds being immature like being very pail in color to almost white. that would indicate the seed was harvested too early. if the seeds look healthy and dark in color then it is most likely that the feminized plant had less seeds per plant because it is harder to produce as much pollen on a female plant then it is on a male plant.
so the selfed plant could put more energy into making the seeds much larger in a short amount of time then a heavily seeded male pollinated plant.

peace!
-mystic

if the seeds look healthy and dark in color then it is most likely that the feminized plant had less seeds per plant because it is harder to produce as much pollen on a female plant then it is on a male plant.
so the selfed plant could put more energy into making the seeds much larger in a short amount of time then a heavily seeded male pollinated plant.

peace!
-mystic

thanks. i did not think about that.

mobi50

The only reason is the temperature, in cold weather seeds are smaller. I've produced seeds from the same clone in summer and in winter and the winter one are smaller.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
All bullshit. Every cross is different and so are the seeds. Seeds that were made by selfing one plant will of course come out differently than the ones made by outcrossing/hybridizing with a totally different plant.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Seed size would be dictating by the bract size, mystic has a good point but my money is the female they decided to use has larger bracts than the one/ones used for the regular version or produced at a time that promoted larger bracts than the other.

I double reversed a Cookies Kush x Jack Herer. The seeds which developed on the Cookies were huge while those on the Jack were tiny. Yes it was due to calyx size, as the Jack has much smaller calyx's than the Cookies Kush. The genetics are the same either way.

If they're made from the same mom they should be the same no matter what since the mom makes the seeds n they tend to stick with how they do.
Pollen from 50 different sources shouldn't ever change the seed a single plant produces.

cheers,.................................................gps

NEED 4 SEED

If they're made from the same mom they should be the same no matter what since the mom makes the seeds n they tend to stick with how they do.
Pollen from 50 different sources shouldn't ever change the seed a single plant produces.

cheers,.................................................gps

Probably it ain't that easy! These seeds on the picture were collected from one plant, which was dusted with pollen from itself (Sensi Skunk) and from a GSC plant. Obviously, the mother plant doesn't care about any of the theories.

picture.php

Koondense

Veteran
Seed size depends oncalyx size, probably different phenos were selected for fem and reg seeds.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Probably it ain't that easy! These seeds on the picture were collected from one plant, which was dusted with pollen from itself (Sensi Skunk) and from a GSC plant. Obviously, the mother plant doesn't care about any of the theories.

View Image
This is always an interesting topic. I’ve noticed similar results to what Need 4 Seed found. Different seed sizes from the same mother plant with multiple pollinators. I understand the physical concept regarding the calyx size of the mother (producing the seed) being somewhat a determining factor but couldn’t there be inputs coming from the pollen source that may have some influence, such as, the maternal side of the pollen donor produced large (or small) seeds?

NEED 4 SEED

This is always an interesting topic. I’ve noticed similar results to what Need 4 Seed found. Different seed sizes from the same mother plant with multiple pollinators. I understand the physical concept regarding the calyx size of the mother (producing the seed) being somewhat a determining factor but couldn’t there be inputs coming from the pollen source that may have some influence, such as, the maternal side of the pollen donor produced large (or small) seeds?

That's my understanding - human females can also give birth to smaller or bigger babies, depending on the genetic make up. Would be strange if small women could only give birth to smaller ones...

Azeotrope

Veteran
I'm just honestly sad to see all the feminized seeds and autoflowers everywhere! A bunch of crap!

thejact55

Huh. I always assumed it was based on calyx size or density of seeds on plant. Which has both been mentioned. I will follow different male pollen on same mothers when i am in the situation in the future. I am personally having a hard time graping this as possible though.
Interesting. I hope this thread continues.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi, as far as I know at least the husk pattern and shape seem to have the only influence of the female/mother that bear the seeds. If I am not wrong it is the female/mother who make the husk. So all seeds even from different males look exactly the same.

But the embryo inside that husk is where we have the difference because its cells have DNA of the nucleus (chromosomes n=10, so 2n=20) one half (10) from the mother and the other half (10) from the pollen donor. Cytoplamic such as mitochondrial and plastidial DNA comes directly from the pistillate plant.

About seed size I am not sure if the husk constrains the embryo inside, or if it is the growing embryo who push the inmature husk to the final seed size, or perhaps the twice things occur.

mobi50

Why no one seem to take into account the temperature? I' ve been producing seeds for over 20 years using the same clones and I can tell you without any doubt that in cold temperatures the same plant produces smaller seeds.

burmese

last five years i do seeds with everything,
and must say that seeds from pollinated preflowers and early flowering plant are bigger than later pollinated females//try yourself only pollinate for one seed to see difference//
also different males can have different seeds and production times in one seeded mother,,

thejact55

last five years i do seeds with everything,
and must say that seeds from pollinated preflowers and early flowering plant are bigger than later pollinated females//try yourself only pollinate for one seed to see difference//
also different males can have different seeds and production times in one seeded mother,,

The last sentence...
How can you know that unless you sorted out all the late seeds and early seeds, Grew them all out and noted a specific difference?
Im just asking. Not saying your wrong, just justifiably knowing this would take serious work.

Edit: ahortator makes a somewhat valid comment that may pertain to the comment i am questioning. Carry on, interesting regardless of reason