What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many seeds per plant?

bestothebest

People spend fifteen dollars a seed because they know they might find something special from it. Seed companies sell their seeds for that much because they want to make the most they can, since any smart person will just open pollinate and never need to buy another. The seeds themselves are worth almost nothing. It is the exclusive genetics within that you pay for. Compare a seed to a key. A key itself is worth very little, just like a seed. A key that you know opens a vault of gold that you know is full of gold is worth a lot more. A seed that has known, good quality DNA is bound to be worth more than just an old heat-killed hemp seed.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People spend fifteen dollars a seed because they know they might find something special from it. Seed companies sell their seeds for that much because they want to make the most they can, since any smart person will just open pollinate and never need to buy another. The seeds themselves are worth almost nothing. It is the exclusive genetics within that you pay for. Compare a seed to a key. A key itself is worth very little, just like a seed. A key that you know opens a vault of gold that you know is full of gold is worth a lot more. A seed that has known, good quality DNA is bound to be worth more than just an old heat-killed hemp seed.

Nicely said. However, not all breeders, er "Seed companies sell their seeds for that much because they want to make the most they can".

And applause to those who say research/reading up is the best way to learn. Next comes the actual experience. Like MJP said, too many variables.

Get your hands dirty...grow and learn and pollinate.

Gizmo

Chimera made a post about this question years ago but i cant find it, i remember the answer was something like 50-100 seeds per gram of flower if i remember correctly

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you mean names right not genetics? all the seeds are genetics...only some of em have that hype train name. like gg4Xogkxgdp. could turn out trash but since it's got some popular names in the mix everyone gonna drop $100 a pack for untested 1 off crosses.

True.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I think what you meant to say was it makes more sense to you to spend $10 on a few thousand random bagseeds than $100 on the oppurtunity to aquire something amazing... to each is there own.

Not saying alot of seeds are not overpriced. But I have popped a ton of bag seed, free seeds and my own crosses. And I by all means intend to keep buying new potentials great genetics.

i feel you. to each his own. i stick with the bagseeds i've been cultivating cuz they still churn out consistently equal or better plants than what i've grown from breeders. not saying breeder seeds are bad...ijs..."i can do that" and then i do...

@MJP yes true you meant what you said lol. in that case i guess i mean to say i disagree.

troutman

Seed Whore
How many seeds do an average plant of medium size produce?
Or if you pollinate just one bud(medium size), how many seeds to expect?

You can get a 1000 seeds on a 3 foot plant if it's healthy enough.

There's so many variables that there's no exact formula.

Just know 1 plant will give you more seeds than you can grow at one time I bet. :biggrin:

PDX Dopesmoker

Chimera made a post about this question years ago but i cant find it, i remember the answer was something like 50-100 seeds per gram of flower if i remember correctly

I've read that and that fully seeded bud is about 50-70% seed by weight so about 25-70 seeds per gram of harvested seeded bud. I have some seeded bud of my own on hand I could compare that estimate with…

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Many years ago I was working with Mau at Nirvana seeds in Holland, and he used to tell me that he usually produced around 15,000 seeds per square meter of grow space.

Like has been said already, there are so many variables. Some seeds are much bigger than others, some plants produce more seed than others. A lot depends on the saturation of pollen to fertilize a plant and whether or not the plants are very fertile or not in the first place.....there is no real common denominator for it. Best just try it yourself and see how it goes for you.

PDX Dopesmoker

OK, I hand pollinated this one flower about 30 days before I harvested it, the rest of the plant was unseeded. It weighed about a gram untrimmed
RmEIYTs.jpg

it got me 33 seeds including 4 crappy looking ones 2 marginals and 27 that look like quality
lVJTm5g.jpg

and some hash ingredients
GiCagCL.jpg

I still have to smoke this plant's curing bud and it's sisters' before I decide if these seeds are birdfood or potentially useful seeds.
D2M5pWR.jpg

Betterhaff

Veteran
^ ^ This kind of made me chuckle…not because of what you did. It just reminded me about all the seeds we used to get in lids of brick back in the day. Some times at least half and even more so if by weight.

PDX Dopesmoker

^ ^ This kind of made me chuckle…not because of what you did. It just reminded me about all the seeds we used to get in lids of brick back in the day. Some times at least half and even more so if by weight.

Yeah thats why I only did a gram. It used to be a couple hours work to break down an ounce, clean it up & roll it into joints. These days I don't even have to check my smoke for seeds most of the time because its usually been through a 200 micron filter.
Progress

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some seeds are much bigger than others, some plants produce more seed than others. A lot depends on the saturation of pollen to fertilize a plant and whether or not the plants are very fertile or not in the first place.....there is no real common denominator for it. Best just try it yourself and see how it goes for you.Never truer. Many variables depending on plant, pollen, be it collected or open pollination and other factors.

For veggies, using Q-tip, we've made some interesting squash and tomato plants.

riddly

Hi, i was gonna make a new thread for a question that i have. But this one seems very similar so i'd use it insead and not create a new thread for "nothing".
Could anyone answer, roughly, (don't need to be super precise) the following two questions?

1) how many seeds are there in 200 grams of seeds?

2) how many seeds are there in 250 grams of seeds?

i know some seeds are bigger than others. let's say medium size. neither huge nor tiny.

thank you

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis seed averages around 50-60 seeds per gram.
Some seeds are as heavy as 15/g & some as light as 100/g so you could see as few as 15x200 or as high as 100x200.

riddly

@MJPassion thank you very much for this info. So working out the numbers and according to the average weight you wrote (i.e. 50 seeds per 1 gram) would be

10.000 seeds for 200 grams of seeds
12.500 seeds for 250 grams of seeds

than if the seeds are really heavy (15 seeds per 1 gram) it would be:

200 grams = 3000 seeds
250 grams = 3750 seeds

and for the light ones (100 seeds per 1 gram) would be

200 grams = 20.000 seeds
250 grams = 25.000 seeds

again thank you for this nice info

Latest posts

Latest posts