What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maroccan Landrace

snuicide

Chefchaouen Heirloom

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Here are some quicklinks.

the grow:
grow overview 18 plants
360 ° Timelapse - started 14.12.2017
360° Timelapse - started 21.12.2017
on the bottom of page 5 you can see the males I select from
harvest

articles and reports:
https://prohbtd.com/visiting-a-modern-cannabis-farm-in-moroccos-rif-mountains
https://www.tni.org/files/publication-downloads/dpb_49_eng_web.pdf

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4doVBeI7OM (german documentation 2002)
https://youtu.be/KLKTBsXu1FQ?t=4m46s (spanish documentation 2002)
[edit end]

I was in the Rif Mountains and got 1/2 Kg of seeds which the locals call "Libre" - it is classic maroccan genetics. I was able to choose between Afgahni, Pakistani, Skunk and "Libre".

The germination rate is super bad. Im now having a try with Huminacid and Isopropyl desinfection before use. We will see.
As you can see in the picture, there is a lot of dirt in it.

What I saw at the different plantations was mostly Skunk and sometimes some bubblegum smelling strains. The few sprouted seeds look legit and promissing because of they apear uniform.

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. Moroccan landrace is called beldia by the people there. It was insanely low quality stuff. But a sturdy plant and perhaps one, if not the fastest no autoflowering strains in the world. It usually withstand severe drought. If you grow them properly as any other strain Moroccan heirloom grow tall and vigorously but the buds don't produce much resin. They produce more resin when stressed by drought.

Always is a pitty to lose a landrace.

https://prohbtd.com/visiting-a-modern-cannabis-farm-in-moroccos-rif-mountains

Last edited:

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess the right spell is "bledia", meaning "from the country"

Suicide picture are great, yet it looks strange for a traditionnal morroccan field, plants are not close enough, there is no male dying there and the plot looks well maintened...

snuicide

Hi everybody! I'm glad to see you on board.

I guess the right spell is "bledia", meaning "from the country"

Suicide picture are great, yet it looks strange for a traditionnal morroccan field, plants are not close enough, there is no male dying there and the plot looks well maintened...

Oh wow thats good information. I understood libre.

There are not really traditional fields anymore. I was arround the Chefchaouen area.

They mostly grow skunk these days and also saw sativa dominant single plants they were really proud of just because of the size ^^.
They also told me that their deliveries to Europe get rejected if its not top notch coffeeshop quallity thats why they grow dutch stuff.

It is really bad for these people that they have to grow the modern strains because they are not able to water them and they are consuming much more water than the traditional plants.
On the other hand on the bus drive to Nador through the mountains I saw waterholes which looks like crater on the moon. So I guess times are changing fast these days. I mean they listend so much trap music in this area even the older people :dance013:

I just saw one dying male plant on a close field but I was there in harvest time when they don't need them anymore. Every plant I saw was full of seeds anyway and ready in early september!

I have a Hash Passion from Seedsman flowering at the moment and it is really the fastest plant I ve had so far. Resinproduction is really not the best but not that bad at all. It smells like Maroccan blonde hash that one with a subtile lemon note. The plants on the fields I saw were mostly sweet and fruity.

ahortator

Veteran
You can watch the video of the Strain Hunters in Morocco to realize that the landrace is gone.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Snuicide,

I forgot to say thanks for sharing, it's always great to see a cannabis field, no matter what! ;)

"Libre" makes sense too, but for a diffferent thing. I bet it comes from the french word libre which means free ( as in freedom, not gratis ). Maybe that "libre" means seeds from open pollinated field of what remains from the old morrocan strain vs the paki/ghani/skunk.So in the end it's a mix of every cultivars grown there.
Yet it's surprising they 're able to reproduce the modern strains without much interference from each other...so maybe now they cull most of the males early on...

And so you got as far as Nador, did you ever reach the Oujda area? It's just a wild guess ( or wishful thinking maybe) but i'm under the impression that one should looks around there for the old school kif variety.There is supposedly no commercial cultivation in this area.So maybe more chances to find the real deal. I know if i could go strain hunting in Morroco, it would be there and south all along the Algerian border, even maybe the other side around Tlemcen.
But it may not be as safe as the Chefchaouen/Ketama/Al Hoceima area, for sure.

Anyway, that's enough for my guesses...if you got more pictures to share (those sativa you talk about) you're very welcome! :)

About the seeds you got, if they don't germ you might try to get them into live compost, it can help big time!

And here is a pdf link of the latest report (march 2017)about cannabis cultivation in Morrocco, by the NL Transnational Institute:
https://www.tni.org/files/publication-downloads/dpb_49_eng_web.pdf

snuicide

Wow it is nice how you guys are interessted into this area of marocco.

I have to mention that I did not get the seeds from the farm of the picture I ve posted. My source is an native Chefchaouen citizen and he never left the area for longer than a few days in his more than 50 yeaers of being on this planet. So I guess my source is much more reliable than this guy the strainhunters know who is for 10 years in that area. I mean that documentation is nice to look at but they really want to overlook somethings!

What I hate most about this "documentary" is how they talk about the poverty of the people. It is unreflected. Of course things go very wrong in the North thats why there is a lot of demonstrations going on at the moment.
But coffeeshops who are interessted in maximazing their money are one reason for that as well! I heard storys of 30 kg smuggled to the netherlands and getting rejected because it was not the best quallity possible. The result is the farmes dont get any money but had to organise the smuggle action. They invested money and something more important their freedom or the freedom of a family member!
You pay 0.30 € / g of hash in this area and the shops sell it up to 15 or 17 € / g. I know it starts at 5 € of the lower quality but they just rejecting it these days because they want money money money....
I also saw no field with irrigation at the farms i visited just saw them arround Ketama from the bus. The small farmers are not able to afford it!
The area now is also important for cocain smuggle like whole north africa is. I could get kilos of weed and cocain delivered straight to a city in europe and I could pay afterwards - this is how poor and desperate they really are!

I won't guess if it is mixed genetics or not I will just grow them out and see. With the humin acid I was able to sproud 7 more. I will trie to get at least 40 of them and then I will place them on a Wilmasystem for 20 plants.

As mentioned maroccan strains are properbly the fastest in the world. So chances are very good that the first pollen is coming from a maroc as well if we think about a field over there. There are also farms in the west of chefchaouen were chances are good to preserve genetics.
I got a whole kilo for free and I just took the half with me packed in three teepackages. I left two of them in spain in a fridge. They even managed it to get the foil arround the packages that you dont see the difference between a freshly purchased one. I think my friends over there know what they are doing and they also know that I could get into prison for more than a decade getting caught with such an amount of seeds in marocco. Thats why I think chances are good to see some classic maroccan genetics.

Last edited:

snuicide

here you go I also have some more drive by pictures but they are unsharp unfortunately

btw. I could pop some more seeds and I put a handfull of seeds into huminacid water - the nice thing about this technique is that the dirt stays on top of the water while the most seeds sink down.

I will definitly make F1's of the 2 best couples.

New hippydon

I obtained about 30 moroccan beldia seeds through a trade on another site with a guy who visits there regularly. I have alot of problems getting the seeds to germinate and when they do they are very very sensative to watering and i cant seem to find what they want either its to dry and theh die or its too wer and they rot overnite. I mean normally i water my plants every other day and i normally dont have problems with clones or seeds but lately ive been struggling with all seeds so it may be that too.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems you had a right connection there, that's a good thing.

The whole quality history is not surprising, some morrocco hash are just awful and pumped full of nasty shit.Coffeeshop don't want this as it doesn't sell anymore, as people in europe are more aware of what quality stuff is and wary with hash...Morroccan smugglers no more have a monopoly when it comes to THC...thanks to the weeds grower popping everywhere.

Eager to see what you got from those seeds! ;)

BTW, thanks for the extra pics!

burmese

here in czechoslovakia is moroccan hash two times a year from some stupid dealer,, but its only the last possbility to buy ifs nothing different around because its very mild, short high and low potency for hash and second day even you cant be smoked from it //high ceiling?//

snuicide

I obtained about 30 moroccan beldia seeds through a trade on another site with a guy who visits there regularly. I have alot of problems getting the seeds to germinate and when they do they are very very sensative to watering and i cant seem to find what they want either its to dry and theh die or its too wer and they rot overnite. I mean normally i water my plants every other day and i normally dont have problems with clones or seeds but lately ive been struggling with all seeds so it may be that too.

The germination rate is arround 1:10 - 1:20.
There is a lot of dirt surround the seeds. Huminacid and desinfection with very low concentrated isopropylalcohol helped. I water about every 2 days in clay pebbles which release water faster than soil.

Sometime an individual needs some water in between.

Today I harvested one Hash Passion from Seedsman after 56 days including 5 days flushing. If the chaouen seeds are like this I'm pleased ;)

Last edited:

snuicide

Haha, I know what you guys mean but then it comes from different regions!
In the sahara there was a little bit sand in my weed but I don't think the farmers putted it in straight. In Marrakesh the quallity was a little bit more oily properbly tuned hash as well. In the Rif Area itself I just got very dry hash which was very strong from the indica head side. If you find a nice farmer family there you will get best quallity all over Europe. Don't believe the pushers in your area they are tuning their hash themself thats at least my experience.

snuicide

Btw. I lived in the south of germany in the f**king nowhere and there you sometimes got it filled with so much trash that it sometimes barley made you high. I found plastik(tires?) and sand most of the time in the stuff there. On the other hand thats why I started growing in my teenage ages... :p