What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chevy's blumatized organic soil LED mini grow

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Cannabis-friendly people,
Thought I'd show you the outside of my setup.
Pictures are older, but the general idea was to put everything bulky on top of the tent so there's more room on the inside.
So, fan, filter, ducting, reservoir for the blumats, fan dimmer, these are all on top of the tent.

It runs super silent thanks to the dimmed fan and sonodec ducting
so when the circulation fan is not, you don't hear that this thing's alive.
At the bottom is dehumidifier that I use during last 2 weeks of flower and for drying, as my rh is always around 70% in summer...
It blows against the only intake of the tent which then takes the air through both veg chambers on the right side ( on top of each other, check the tent zippers) and through the bloom chamber before being pulled out through the roof by the sonodec-fan-filter combo.

Just harvested the second time blooming re-vegged bubblegum, 20 days later than the first round at 74days. The buds look completely different in color and also because it turned to be lot's popcorn because of the re-vegged structure of the plant, that was basically a bush with too many tiny and lanky branches.

take care and budshots coming your way soon.

CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a new update.
The sour blueberry and the jack herer are both at day 62 of flower.
Both are cloudy with quite a few clear trichomes still. No ambers yet.
Took smaller buds off today for quick drying and testing.
Here's the tent:

closer view of the buds:

And I'm re-vegging the bubblegum for the second time.
24h of light and and some light extra nutes from biobizz to get it back to grow.
I'm planning to take a clone of this one as the growth pattern is now quite fucked with this one. Needs a new start to become a mom.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvest

Harvest

so I finally harvested the Sour Blueberry and the Jack Herer Lady after 70 days of flower, after checking trichomes for the last 10 days, now I finally got a (very) few ambers.
Now I'm thinking... did both strains really take exactly the same time to finish or was it the soil that was eventually depleted ?
I used LC's mix with blood, bone, kelp, ewc,dolomite lime...
No additional nutes and you can see the plants were really deficient in potassium and probably also phosphorus. A bit more dolomite lime even...maybe.
With these two strains I should have used teas in flower, I'm sure the results would have been even better.

Very happy about this result with those 13w screw-in LED bulbs...91W total.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvest Pics

Harvest Pics

Here's day 70's harvest.

Here's the Sour Blueberry. Quite a few leaves in the bud but a hypnotising smell of fruit:

And here's the JH. much less leaves:

The SB after a half assed trim

And the JH

I don't give a f*** about bag appeal, everything that sparkles stays.
Bag appeal... who in their right mind stores weed in bags in the first place?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
smile.gif

[/FONT]

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice harvest. What size containers?

Hi Sam,
Those went into 3gal/12L pots as small plants and stayed in these until harvest. Water only through Blumats until harvest.

Really a set and forget setup, perfect for me as I like to travel lots
I left home for up to 18 days during this grow and no problems whatsoever.
;-)

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool deal man. I can't believe that was only 91 watts... your rocking those leds!

Thanks Brian,
as I just replied to Samuel, I didn't do much at all !
Mixed the soil, put the little plants in, set the blumats and went on vacation !

starke

Impressive grow. Have to love off the shelf LEDs. I trim like you do. I only grow for family and not for sale so those parts of the sugar leaves with good frost stay. Not looking for "bag appeal" - just a good smoke.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Impressive grow. Have to love off the shelf LEDs. I trim like you do. I only grow for family and not for sale so those parts of the sugar leaves with good frost stay. Not looking for "bag appeal" - just a good smoke.

Thanks for stopping by. I hear you. Some of the machine trimmed buds don't even resemble a plant part anymore- it hurts the eye and I shed a little tear every time:smoke:

Brianmooredc1

Thanks Brian,
as I just replied to Samuel, I didn't do much at all !
Mixed the soil, put the little plants in, set the blumats and went on vacation !

Wow, that's bad ass! I've had a set of blumats for almost a year, but never set them up... a friend scared me when he started having floods/run-outs, so I never gave it a shot... have you had any issues with them?

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Usually they work well. The real trick however is not setting them up, but making sure your catch tray is bigger than your reservoir hahaha.
My res only holds 5gal/ 20L, so no problem with the flexible catch tray that came as part of the tent- the floor.
Also once I have them dialed in, I exchange them as they are, incl. the individual drip line. This works well and you gain confidence they won't flood everything if they've been working alright for a few weeks.
The only real risk in my opinion is the res running dry, therefore the blumats drying out eventually and now they're fully open but not functional.
... and when you refill the res the fully open blumats, which are not working anymore will let the water run right trough- IF you don't notice that upon refilling...

give them a try, they' do work ;-).

Best,

CC

Brianmooredc1

Usually they work well. The real trick however is not setting them up, but making sure your catch tray is bigger than your reservoir hahaha.
My res only holds 5gal/ 20L, so no problem with the flexible catch tray that came as part of the tent- the floor.
Also once I have them dialed in, I exchange them as they are, incl. the individual drip line. This works well and you gain confidence they won't flood everything if they've been working alright for a few weeks.
The only real risk in my opinion is the res running dry, therefore the blumats drying out eventually and now they're fully open but not functional.
... and when you refill the res the fully open blumats, which are not working anymore will let the water run right trough- IF you don't notice that upon refilling...

give them a try, they' do work ;-).

Best,

CC

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm excited to try them now! :woohoo: Do you ever run nutes in them also, or only water?

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
These days I run only water as I'm using organic soil that has enough of all the amendements ( well, could have had some more looking at all the deficiencies that showed themselves at the end of flower), but they work just fine with nutes as well as long as they're not sludgy and can cause the drip lines to clog.
I use an airstone& pump in my res that comes on for 15min 3 times a day to prevent anaerobic bacteria from thriving that casue the res to go bad.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I harvested the Sour Blueberry and the Jack Herer two weeks ago, I left the lower buds on the plants to let them ripen further as they looked not quite ready when I took the top buds down.
they have been on 11/13 the last two weeks.
This is how they looked now after 84 days of lower:
Left the SB and right the JH

The SB

The JH

Both plants purpeled up quite a bit, especially the JH.
Growth of sugar leaves looks funny.

I have harvested most now, just left the lowest buds on each plant on, to reveg them while I try to determine if the smoke is outstanding or not. I yes, then I'll be taking clones from the revegging plant(s), if no then I might flower them once more and toss them. We'll see.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi here's a short update.
Not too much going on rn, but I said this was perpetual, so here goes...
Currently trying to reveg the Jack Herer female as well as the Sour Blueberry (which I have to say gets better every day of curing, my favorite smoke rn)

I cut their roots back and replanted them in fresh allmix. Should have done this earlier but was too lazy. This helps greatly with revegging as you cut off the flowering hormones which are concentrated in the root tips (as we all know
smile.gif
).

Here's a new lady, a NYCDx SuperCBDX

The name sounds a bit fancy and more marketing than breeding and I have no idea about it or its breeder I must say, just thought a high CBD NYCD would be ace...

When I sprouted the above seed, I mixed some new soil, and while I give her a bit of veg time, this soil keeps cooking to have all nutrients available when she's ready.

I use a soilless mix of canna coco, perlite, dolomite line and earth worm castings amended with blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal.
Two Blumats keep it nice and moist.
Normally this would be water only until harvest, but I think this one might go roughly 10weeks again... Last time I ran into deficiences in flower with 10week strains and will therefore have bat guano ready to brew tea if needed.

CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
arrrghhhhhh

arrrghhhhhh

What shit !
I had a bunch of trim and smaller buds to make RSO, and not to alert the whole neighbourhood I used a smart still to reclaim the ISO. Not because it's expensive, but for stealth reasons and because I don't like the idea of boiling off solvents into the atmosphere in general.
So I set everything up and it said it will take about 1h for 1L to boil off. Ah that's great, but when I returned 10min later, the whole room was a desaster zone, thick with ISO fumes and more cannabinoids in the air than in Jamaika.

Turns out the stupid canister they supply to catch the alcohol had a
crack and on top of that somehow the still must have been set to overdrive (it has only an on/off switch) as it had boiled off more than a liter of ISO in not even 15min, and after that continued to heat the cannabinoids into the atmosphere so au revoir RSO.

What a mess. Does anyone have experience with these stills and RSO? Good thing I put everything on a large tray, so the hot alcohol that ran out through the crack in the catch canister didn't spill everywhere...
Needless to say I had to open all windows for the rest of the day to air out into the street and inhaled lots of ISO fumes which led to slight asthma like sensations and a terribly sore throat. The smoke was so thick, I'm still wondering if anyone realised it in my neighbourhood or if I might have been lucky with the event going unnoticed.
Shit like this gets you busted, damn !
I still wonder what went wrong, has the still a too hot setting or am I just stupid ?ISO has a higher boiling point than ethanol, then again these stills are normally filled with water/ethanol mix to distill out the alcohol as the final product...
Any ideas ?