What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding early flowering strains

N

NewAgeGenetics

its not a gene, late flowering strains will never flower early. it depends on the strains that when starts to flower, that how sensitive they are to the light cycle changing.

I can name a good few real early flowering strains by experience. I documented that when starts to flower outdoors more than a hundred strains. same strains always start at the same time, with only 1 week difference between the phenos.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's definitely a gene, and crossing early with late will create (when selected properly) an early with the late characteristics.

All differences in cannabis are gene expression related.

N

NewAgeGenetics

ok, yea its a gene, but this gene there isnt in late flowering strains (you can breed a lots of generation indoors it wont appear from nothing). so better to call it characteristic what own a strain. but of course everything depend on genes.

the start of the flowering is fix, depend on the origin of the genetic, thats all what I say.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its not a gene, late flowering strains will never flower early. it depends on the strains that when starts to flower, that how sensitive they are to the light cycle changing.

I can name a good few real early flowering strains by experience. I documented that when starts to flower outdoors more than a hundred strains. same strains always start at the same time, with only 1 week difference between the phenos.

Wheres the list?
DNA is a crystal structure.
Crystals hold memory.
DNA memory is in the form of genes & allels. (sp?)

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The CHERRY BERRY started flowering almost as soon as I took them outdoors at the beginning of July @ 7000ft @ 38N. I don't know the exact daylength but that info should allow you to find out. I'm guessing around 16/8. No pics.
No I didn't try 23/1 light cycle. I don't have any reason to explore that cycle as I live around 38N & max daylength is around 16 or 17 hours. My projects are focused around my out doors climate.

That means it would flower even quicker in more northern regions? I would be very interested in such a strain. If it's narcotic indica...jackpot.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I found a 49 day pheno in some bagseed. 1 of 3. The parent was a fast one too. Like begets like

@42
picture.php

@48
picture.php

I now wonder how many of her progeny will get the same trait. Ill update with my findings.

yahooman

i always make early fems...

i use mephisto skywalker and chemdogging cause they do well outdoors

bred to a photo the offspring will in general 2 weeks earlier...some earlier,some later..

i have
kimbo kush x skywalker
og kush x skywalker
gorilla strawberryback x skywalker
fruitloops og x skywalker

and the above photo moms also crossed to chemdogging

gorilla ganja

The CHERRY BERRY started flowering almost as soon as I took them outdoors at the beginning of July @ 7000ft @ 38N. I don't know the exact daylength but that info should allow you to find out. I'm guessing around 16/8. No pics.
No I didn't try 23/1 light cycle. I don't have any reason to explore that cycle as I live around 38N & max daylength is around 16 or 17 hours. My projects are focused around my out doors climate.

You have about 14.5 hrs of daylight early July at 38N. I would guess most India dominate hybrids will start to flower around then at your Latitude. What light schedule did you have them on before you brought them out?
Do you have a pic of the cherry berry?

That means it would flower even quicker in more northern regions? I would be very interested in such a strain. If it's narcotic indica...jackpot.

It would flower later the further North you go as the days get longer.
At 50N the first day of 14.5 would be early august so roughly a month later.

Peace GG

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would flower later the further North you go as the days get longer.
At 50N the first day of 14.5 would be early august so roughly a month later.

Peace GG

I think, you're wrong here. But keep me educated if not. On the northern hemisphere the more north you go the shorter the days become. At least thats what i was believing the last decades lol...Not? :D

gorilla ganja

I think, you're wrong here. But keep me educated if not. On the northern hemisphere the more north you go the shorter the days become. At least thats what i was believing the last decades lol...Not? :D

Absolutely not during the summer. The further North you go the longer the days. At the north pole on the summer solstice the daylight is almost 24 hrs. It doesn't really get dark.

At my latitude the longest day is approx 17 hrs of daylight. The shortest day is only about 7 hrs, brrrr. The further north or south of the equator you go the faster per day the daylight changes. At the equator the daylight is fairly constant at approx 12 hrs throughout the year.

A quick reminder the summer solstice is the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere and the shortest in the Southern hemisphere, approx June 21 .
The shortest day is approx Dec 21 in the North which makes it the longest day in the southern hemisphere. On approx March 21 and September 21 the spring and fall equinox everywhere on the planet we get hit with about 12 hrs of light. I say approx dates because they vary slightly every year.

It's the length of darkness that triggers flowering.

Here is a handy site I use to see daylight lengths at different latitudes on any given day. I don't think it takes dawn or dusk into account you can find more accurate tables for total amount of light.

Daylight hours explorer

Peace GG

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I found a 49 day pheno in some bagseed. 1 of 3. The parent was a fast one too. Like begets like
That's early finishing... definitely interesting to a lot of breeders. :)

What we're looking for, in this thread, are strains which require only a few hours of dark to trigger flowering. What was the amber percentage at 49 days, btw?

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Absolutely not during the summer. The further North you go the longer the days. At the north pole on the summer solstice the daylight is almost 24 hrs. It doesn't really get dark.

At my latitude the longest day is approx 17 hrs of daylight. The shortest day is only about 7 hrs, brrrr. The further north or south of the equator you go the faster per day the daylight changes. At the equator the daylight is fairly constant at approx 12 hrs throughout the year.

A quick reminder the summer solstice is the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere and the shortest in the Southern hemisphere, approx June 21 .
The shortest day is approx Dec 21 in the North which makes it the longest day in the southern hemisphere. On approx March 21 and September 21 the spring and fall equinox everywhere on the planet we get hit with about 12 hrs of light. I say approx dates because they vary slightly every year.

It's the length of darkness that triggers flowering.

Here is a handy site I use to see daylight lengths at different latitudes on any given day. I don't think it takes dawn or dusk into account you can find more accurate tables for total amount of light.

Daylight hours explorer

Peace GG

Thank you for the explanation. Trying hard now to understand.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the explanation. Trying hard now to understand.

It's one of those phenomenon that flat earthers can't explain. Hehehe....

But yeah...
I like starting seed that was made North of 45 in my location because they always trigger flowering earlier at my lat which brings the finishing date as well.

I veg between 16-17 hrs of light indoors so as to minimize the plants reaction to the slightly shortened daylength when I take them outdoors.
Plants go out as soon as the weather permits it. Typically the beginning to mid May but the last couple years March was absolutely an option & may be again this year.

Lime Green

Early flowering is most likely polygenetic.

My observations with cannabis is that indoors, it does seem to be photoperiod sensitive, very singularly. Under natural light though, everything changes. Light deppers can get away with light leaks, missing the tarps, and all kinds of shenanigans that would be detrimental to an indoor grow. Hell, I took a plant out of flowering a couple of weeks ago, and threw it to the cold, long nights. Should keep flowering, right? It's Revegging now with less light than it was getting at 12/12. I think where we sit in the cycle to or from solstices has some bearing on things outdoors, much more than simple duration of light or dark hours.

I also like the mindset of MJPASSION in factoring where the seed was made. I have some personal experience with this using Morning Glory seeds made in the US, that I germinated in Asia. They became Night Glory seeds, opening flowers when it was morning in the US. That has always fascinated me.

The variables using sun, moon, stars isn't as one dimensional as photoperiod, this I know. Somehow, in combination with genetics, location of grow, location of seed creation, and the changing of the seasons, cannabis can likely be manipulated to earlier flowering varieties. Genetics undoubtedly play the biggest role.

I don't know if anyone has tried Champagne outdoors, but that stuff seems to flower if you look at it or breathe indoors.

gorilla ganja

The daylight hours explorer in post 30 is neat as can be.

It really is cool to play around with. Such a simple tool but fascinating to me.
The graph of the light hrs shows how quickly the light hrs change as you go further North or South from the equator.
That's why it becomes important to find the early strains the further from the equator you go. Also why most breeders finish times are so wrong, and why they should list latitude.

Peace GG

Betterhaff

Veteran
It’s not just the amount/length of darkness that can trigger but also the change in it that occurs as the season progresses. An example, although the wrong season for the discussion, but where I’m at the amount of daylight will be 17 minutes more by weeks end than the beginning of the week.

gorilla ganja

It’s not just the amount/length of darkness that can trigger but also the change in it that occurs as the season progresses. An example, although the wrong season for the discussion, but where I’m at the amount of daylight will be 17 minutes more by weeks end than the beginning of the week.

That's what I was saying about the graph on that site. It shows the dramatic change per day gets more extreme the further from the equator.
So the difference in amount of light per day is far greater between 50-60 latitude than 30-40 latitude.

The equator stays around 12 hrs per day year round. While the North and south pole swing from almost 24 hrs light in the summer to almost 24 hrs of darkness in the winter.

But like others have said many things contribute to triggering flowers. I think a full moon at the right time of year on a few clear nights can slow some strains down a week or so. To much nitrogen can also change flower times dramatically as well.

Anyway i dragged this thread way off topic so let's get back to breeding early strains.:chin:

Peace GG

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I am going to tag along as this is a very interesting topic that is very important to many growers.

I call these plants semi-autoflowering as well, but I am unsure of the correct term, if one exists yet? Should probably use semi-auto, that is pretty common term amongst Canadian growers. Usually meaning more than the normal 18 hours of light is required to keep plants in fully vegetative state.

I have grown Early Wonder Skunk x Hashplant, it was semi-autoflowering, and needed over 20 hours of light to stop calyxes from forming. It was done Sept 15-30 at 45N. I would still grow it, the smoke and product was nice, but it was very, very weak to mold and mildew. I made some Early Wonder Skunk x HP hybrids to sort through, but the original is gone. I hope to find a nice semi-auto hybrid in the future.

While I wouldn't really call her a semi-autoflowering strain, the Friesland aka Freezeland is very early flowering, she flowers a full month before most other outdoor strains. The freeze also flowers faster with root restriction, but with room for roots stays vegetative at 18/6. The right Cindy 99 also finishes nearly as quickly. I got some Cindy99 x Friesland hybrids in the works. Those ones going to be early! The pure Friesland is alive and early still! Both are September plants at 45N.

Root restriction, nutrients, and growing medium can play a large part in flowering time. I have grown many plants that flower when pot size is smaller and become root bound, or while growing outdoors in areas with high rock or clay content close below the soil line, plants have finished earlier. Plants can sense a lot more than light cycles, and try to adjust to increase the chance of survival(pollination, and then seed development). Different levels of nutrients can affect this as well. Nitrogen keeps many strains from flowering early. I can get a Friesland plant mature 2-3 weeks early by starving them and restricting root zone size. The problem is the trade off of yield vs early maturation.

As for the genetics of it, I am almost certain that more than one gene is at play. There is too much variation to be that simple. This is likely more complicated involving several different genes. If it wasn't several genes at play breeders could fix early flowering traits much faster than we do. However this should not stop us in our pursuit for excellent smoking early strains! Search on...

Last edited: