What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mount Zion 2017

MountZionCollec

http://www.davewilson.com:8080/home-gardens

Persimmon have really low chill hours, but are hardy to zone 7. I haven't researched them very much but I'm sure some varieties would grow here. Depends on when they bloom, the cold would be fine, but if they bloom earlier then before early-mid April they would get too beat up in late spring weather at my location which can be pretty wet-windy-cold-snow. I'm a little over 4000 above sea level, but I'm still in Zone 8b-9 with low temperatures only reaching in the 20s, very rarely dipping below 25 degrees . We're on South facing hill at least 1000 feet higher then the hills on the south side extending 7 miles before hitting a taller mountain, this keeps the cold wet forest climate out, night and day difference in the climate on the north side of the hill with many comparably tall mountains in a bowl of shaded forest.

In the future we'll have more infrastructure to store seeds, most likely once we put in a large root cellar hopefully this winter as long as I have a successful year. I won't starting saving my vegetable seeds for another couple years as there is too much I want to try while so much is available.

We have been juggling a whole lot of activities it's been fun now that I'm starting to know what I'm doing and since I've cut lose the experiments that proved not to suit me! ive had to learn my lesson though more then a few times...for example the sheep! But we gave them away to a local family who has livestock and were wanting some Icelandic but couldn't afford them. We gave them the two parents and two babies, and the mom had 3 more babies! Would have been a nightmare with 7 sheep on my land eating up everything.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Prairie Star and Prairie Sun are supposed to be good American persimmons, I have the Prairie Star in my yard only got it last year as bare root, took until july to break bud first year, no broken buds yet but doesn't look like winter kill either.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
uhh did i read that right? 9000 sqft AWESOME!!!!

i was checking out the new google earth 3d and calavaras i blown up!

i'llbe joining the fun up in goldcountry thisyear

MountZionCollec

Prairie Star and Prairie Sun are supposed to be good American persimmons, I have the Prairie Star in my yard only got it last year as bare root, took until july to break bud first year, no broken buds yet but doesn't look like winter kill either.

I've never eaten a persimmon and what little I have read about them it didn't really spark a desire to plant any this year....however my wife has mentioned she may want to plant some in the future.

Have you eaten any before and if so could you describe it? For some don't they need to be "cured" or whatever they call it where they need some time after being harvest before they ready to be eaten?

That is really amazing it breaks bud so late! The majority of my trees have broke leaves and buds starting around May 1st.

MountZionCollec

uhh did i read that right? 9000 sqft AWESOME!!!!

i was checking out the new google earth 3d and calavaras i blown up!

i'llbe joining the fun up in goldcountry thisyear

Yup 9000' in total on 3 different locations on the same property. We were inspected by code enforcement recently for our permit and the inspection went very well. We need to make some changes but nothing too crazy!

They are attempting to ban it in my county right now. 3 supervisors are set on it, it won't go into law until November or December so we will just get to finish the season and then who knows what will happen.

The calaveras cannabis alliance (CCA) plus a large tent group of local community people are writing a sensible and strict regulation iniative to put before the people either this fall or next June. I think it'll JUST pass.

There going to increase acres need to grow and change the zones allowed to be grown in. The locals want it out of the residential areas, even the ones who support cannabis.

MountZionCollec

I took 6 soil samples to determine how to amend my soil. All the areas were different last year but after amending with Michael Astera's from soilmineralsDOTCOM the three areas are close enough that I just sent one for astera to analyze and make recommendations on.

CEC=18.59
Organic matter=15.33
PH=6.9
Anions
Sulfur=15, 182 ppm desired
Phosphorus=103, 363 ppm desired.

cations
Calcium 79%
Magnesium=10.27%
Potassium=3.71%
Salt .5%
Other bases 4.5%
Hydrogen =1.5%

Trace
Boron .82, 2.54ppm desired
Iron=107, 182 ppm desired.
Manganese 48, 70ppm desired.
Copper 7, 18 desired.
Zinc 7, 36 desired
Aluminum=1515

I added trace last year, but I won't be this year because I wasn't able to arrange acquiring all of them in time. My plan is to add them every other year, and foliar micros during the season.

Recommendations per 1000 square feet

Calphos-200 pounds
Sulfate of potash-15#
Salt 6#
Kelp-15#
Azomite 15#
Feather meal 30#

I was suppose to add 6# of sodium nitrate but I also could lot get any in time for amending.

MountZionCollec

I have amended all my fruit trees, blackberries/rasberries, grapes, currants, and edible roses. I have also amended my veggie growing area that is ~1000 square feet where we hope to grow almost all of our produce we need for the year once it starts yielding.

We have also laid down the drip irrigation on all that and laid down some rice straw over the top of my emitter lines.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
you had nice plants last year with the light ammendments you used.

have you tried to source composted bedding from stables or farms near you?
I could get that for the cost of delivery at my last spot and worked it into my veggies, fruit trees and weed plots.

it made a huge improvement to the local soil for a tiny investment.

can't wait to see how your second season turns out, good luck!

MountZionCollec

you had nice plants last year with the light ammendments you used.

have you tried to source composted bedding from stables or farms near you?
I could get that for the cost of delivery at my last spot and worked it into my veggies, fruit trees and weed plots.

it made a huge improvement to the local soil for a tiny investment.

can't wait to see how your second season turns out, good luck!

That is a great idea. I am just now getting to meet and know a lot of noncannabis farmers in the area so I will start asking around.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I use just composted horse poop in smart pots for my vegetables and they do extremely well. If there is a horse stable nearby and they have compost piles a lot of times they will be glad if you take it.

-Funk

kelly1376

Love what you're doing here. I went back and read your log from last year and you really got it together. Efficient and productive. This is what you call living the dream. Not just weed but fruits, vegetables, livestock, awesome setup.

MountZionCollec

I use just composted horse poop in smart pots for my vegetables and they do extremely well. If there is a horse stable nearby and they have compost piles a lot of times they will be glad if you take it.

-Funk

Also a good idea. I missed an opportunity last year to acquire a few truck beds full of horse manure because I didn't jump on it. My employee/cousin rents from a lady with extra horse manure each year I need to make sure I take it this time. I would then compost it at my property for one season at least..how long do you compost the horse manure?

Each year I would love to be able to add 1/2" layer of compost/manure/bedding to slowly increase my organic matter over time. I added about that last year and it bumped up my organic matter by about 2%.

MountZionCollec

Love what you're doing here. I went back and read your log from last year and you really got it together. Efficient and productive. This is what you call living the dream. Not just weed but fruits, vegetables, livestock, awesome setup.

Thanks, I feel like the farm is just now Coming together! There has been a steep learning curve for me. This is my 4th season growing commercially and living in the mountains. Finally Feeling in tune with it all.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Also a good idea. I missed an opportunity last year to acquire a few truck beds full of horse manure because I didn't jump on it. My employee/cousin rents from a lady with extra horse manure each year I need to make sure I take it this time. I would then compost it at my property for one season at least..how long do you compost the horse manure?

Each year I would love to be able to add 1/2" layer of compost/manure/bedding to slowly increase my organic matter over time. I added about that last year and it bumped up my organic matter by about 2%.

I grew right in the pile last yer and it was fine even when fresh. I think when there is enough bedding mixed in it's like turbo charged strawbale gardening.

I top dress with it as well as roto till it in.

if you can barter top shelf for animal shit you will come out ahead and have happy folks delivering it I'll bet.

just a few hobby farmers will do you. try to get diversity though, horse, dairy, chickens, sheep, ducks, worms. :biggrin:

check around for local waste products from cheese making, brewing, tree trimming etc that can be composted or made into biochar.

MountZionCollec

I grew right in the pile last yer and it was fine even when fresh. I think when there is enough bedding mixed in it's like turbo charged strawbale gardening.

I top dress with it as well as roto till it in.

if you can barter top shelf for animal shit you will come out ahead and have happy folks delivering it I'll bet.

just a few hobby farmers will do you. try to get diversity though, horse, dairy, chickens, sheep, ducks, worms. :biggrin:

check around for local waste products from cheese making, brewing, tree trimming etc that can be composted or made into biochar.

Thanks for the advice, I plan to keep expanding my farm, eventually doubling the amount of everything so all those ideas sound like great ways to cheaply and suistainably build up my soil, in combo with my Astera amendments.

MountZionCollec

Berry patch Just above a cannabis patch. This is where the hoophouse was located that collapsed last year before harvest. ~53 different tyypes of blackberries, rasberries and there hybrids will be in here.

on the end is the viny growing edible rose, then 14 of my 18 grapes.

60 fruit tree orchard located beneath my veggie growing area and just next to my best cannabis growing site. I was planning to have this orchard be 40% of my cannabis garden, but last sercond the county increased the setbacks from 30' to 75' so it was the perfect time to plant the orchard.

there is a chance the county will once again increase the setbacks once permanent regulations are in place. im hoping not.

MountZionCollec

So I was inspected by code enforcement and given 10 days to make the needed adjustments to my cultivation site to meet all of there requests. I haven't yet been "approved" by the county but I am now moving beyond code onto getting my planning department approval and my sheriffs approval. Also need to schedule to pay my first 1/2 half of taxes for this year to my county which Is $9,000. Also need to pay my waterboard soon for $1000.

MountZionCollec

So we had 3 nights/mornings of ground frost in the past 10 days and it did some damage to some plants.

Lattarula Italian honey fig and Cordi Stella fig leaves were killed. They were low to the ground right in the frost zone. Tree base is still alive but I've decided to replace them as I only want the strongest. I'm replacing them with two kinda risky options but I both could work. Fig Tena and Deanna both bred in California and considered adapted and hardy across California. Same breeder of the excel fig I put in which handled the frost with zero problems. The only other fig that had some damage was the Nordland fig it was also very low to ground. Leaves not as damaged as the other two but very beat up.

The grapes had some damage as well but only within 5 inches from the ground everything above that and beneath the straw was fine.

Blackberries and rasberries no issues even though frost was covering them. Same with currants.

Only other tree that had issues were the Mullberries, and they were variety specific and height specific on the leaf damage. Again the ones that had issues were the shorter trees within 6-8" from the ground, I saw no damage above this height. The only fig I may need to end up replacing next year is the "Spanish black" which was the only one with more then 50% damage. Others who were totally in frost zone had some leaves handle it in the zone fine.

I'm also putting in 10 more grapes.

Latest posts

Latest posts