What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colombia - Punto rojo

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Que mas Anderson, dos preguntas. Primero, queria saber si alguna vez has cultivado mango biche o punto rojo en el interior (con luz artificial). Segunto te queria preguntar cual es la diferencia en holor entre punto rojo y mango biche. Mango biche si huele bastante a mango? Un amigo me tiene semillas en medellin y no se si ir por ellas. Me dijo que eran de corinto

Yo he visto y fumado Punto Rojo y Mangobiche en los ultimos anos y no he notado tanto diferencia dentro ellas. Mis amigos son Paisas, y despues no expertos en lo que pasar en el campo cientos de kilometras fuera... Yo he entendido que Mangobiche era Corinto, lo mismo causa, pero despues, aqui, alguien mas listo que yo he contado que no era asi... y por eso yo escucho mas que hablo aqui

Los criadores de Cannabiogen y ACE he trabajado con esos cosas y mejorado ellas mucho, desde el punto de vista del cultivador... quitando los hermafroditas, o las plantas de muy largo floracion, o poco rendiemento... Por algunas Euritos, es un grande inversion en tu exito final...

:tiphat:

lo siento por mi Castellano... espero que entiendes bien...

Mycelium_mind

Termino muy bonita y produjo bastante bien Anderson! Chaos, si yo he leído cosas parecidas, dicen que el Mango Biche es de Corinto pero no estoy seguro y tienes razon, Ace y Cannabiogen han trabajado mucho y producido buenas semillas por lo q he oido

meizzwang

Took some of L. Fritzman's unique line of punto rojo (seeds came from the now defunct Br@zilian S##d Co) and grew out a population from the original stock. The two original mother plants finished end of November and also sometime in December, although both were harvested early because it was just too cold and rainy to finish properly.

I planted several seeds from the earliest finishing punto rojo plant and sprouted them on 12/12. They were allowed to flower about half way through, and I selected the individual that had both the earliest maturation date and strongest smelling flowers. This plant was put back into veg, and all the other siblings were culled.

Fast forward many months later, this plant was flowered outdoors and it finished on Nov 1! It was completely ripe! It's pretty amazing that in just one generation, with very strong selective pressure, you can get an earlier finishing plant.

The quality of the effects of this line is out of this world: no speedy/racy effects, crystal clear headed, and SOARING high! It's also very potent with no ceiling! Perfect for any daytime activity, definitely a social smoke as you don't get cloudy in the mind. Surprisingly, it also produces a lot of resin, as I was able to " rosin squeeze" some buds and get a decent yield. Perhaps the resin yield was good this time around because the flowers were fully mature when harvested. Flavor of the rosin is outstanding!

When you open the bag, even when properly dried, it smells not so great: like some foul spicy, peppery aroma with something else in the background that's hard to describe. However, the flavor is minty, fresh, and lingers on the tongue, especially from rosin and hash extracts. This is by far one of the best quality highs I've ever had!

Still have tons of the original punto rojo seeds with high viability, they've been carefully maintained in cold storage in airtight containers for long term preservation:
38409453402_b21e541b33_c.jpg

38409453432_cb71005548_c.jpg

OldCoolSativa

I've been on the hunt for some Punto Rojo and was gifted some F2s of CBG Punto Rojo x CBG Mangobiche. The F1s were grown at 30N and finished between 31 November and 15 December. I popped 8 seeds on 9 June and got 100% germination. I also popped 4 Grail Widow F2s I made from the haziest GW girl crossed to a vigorous GW male that was sticky in veg and showed great trich development during flower. I expect flowering times of 12-16 weeks for this grow.

I've had the seedlings under LED shoplights in my veg cabinet for a month and brought them outside to let the breeze strengthen the spindly stems while the plants bask under Sol's midsummer goodness. I'm going to up-pot and keep them outside from now on and let them veg and start to flower, but there's no way they'll finish in time here at 42N. I will be able to collect pollen from the outdoor males though. So the plan is to take some cuts in August, flower the clones in September indoors in coco hempy buckets under 640 W of COBs, and harvest in December.

Here are the seedlings enjoying their second sunny summer day.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PBR and GWF2 seedlings.jpg
    PBR and GWF2 seedlings.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 26
Regarding Punta Rojo. I live 6 months USA / Oregon and 6 months Santa Marta, Magdalena, Colombia. More specifically Rodadero. I was at Playa Salguero towards the end with the abandoned Mansion. If youve been there then you know the place. I was able to obtain half dozen seeds from some tokers of no particular trade....other than toking. Thinking it may have SMCG Genetics. Date Nov. 2017 came back to Oregon. So I germinate this half dozen in Jan. 2018 and then into huge pots with very good media from local Indoor etc... provider. Well Balanced.

Now for the trained eye I don't know shit other than I like growing and I'm lucky enough to be able to (Oregon) AND live part time in SM Colombia. The plants eventually led only to one mega survivor, however...

Note the color of the stalk from top to bottom is red in color. These pics are from about 3 weeks ago. She is now starting to show signs of flowering July 18, 2018.

I would appreciate any input from more knowledgeable friends.

Thanx
CN

Nw for the trained eye.......my question.....Did I stumble across a strain with Punta Rojo Genetics??

Please give me your feedback.

BTW completely different plant structure from seeds obtained in Minca, foothills of the Sierra Nevadas ie SMCG.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 26

OldCoolSativa

Did I stumble across a strain with Punta Rojo Genetics?

Highly unlikely, given that knowledgeable and well connected people have been searching Colombia for Punto Rojo for over 15 years with only spotty success. I have some Punto Rojo x Mangobiche in veg and I haven't spotted a red stem yet. Those leaves also look decidedly hybridized.

It's crippy, like most everything else in Colombia. Possible it has some PR in it but unlikely. IMO.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure why I waited to grow this but have one PR flowering and smoked the top of the one male. Have to say the high off this was quite a bit better for me than Colombian Gold '72 of which I ran several phenos. I expect the mature female to be even better.

The 'spiritual' effect is really strong. Also you could call it warm in effect. Makes the buzz more pleasurable at any rate. Also ran some Zacatecas Purple recently collected from Mexico, has indica in it for sure now. Quite similar high from the male top I smoked compared to the Punto Rojo. No females with that strain. The two strains could be related.

OldCoolSativa

I finished my punto rojo x mangobiche grow and got some nice plants. All 6 plants but one of two males had intersex issues to one degree or another.
A couple plants seeded themselves up pretty good. The fastest went 12 weeks while the slowest went 20 weeks. Here's a picture of a dried cola from that 20-week plant. Effect is excellent, long lasting psychedelic day brightener. Taste and flavor are excellent and improving with the cure; a dry toke on a freshly rolled joint gives a piney, minty flavor. Leaves that smell of excellent weed lingering in the air.

attachment.php

Next up is punto rojo that I sourced from TLT. I popped 8 seeds, 6 came up, and here are the seedlings after 7 weeks, just before I topped them and took cuts. I'll flower the cuts as soon as they're rooted. Plant #2 is my favorite and looks to be closest to the highland sativa in structure. Plant #1 is largest, has red stems, broader leaves, and a much different structure than the others. These have been vegging in cool temperatures which can affect leaf morphology. I'm hoping they all show themselves as 100% cripi-free sativas when they are flowered.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PRM6 dried cola.jpg
    PRM6 dried cola.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PR by TLT 7 weeks from seed.jpg
    PR by TLT 7 weeks from seed.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 22

meizzwang

I've read reports that some versions of punto rojo are racy, and the pictures of the plants look completely different from the version I have.

I have the defuncted Brazilian Seed Company's (BSC) "strain" of punto rojo, which as far as I know, is extremely rare. Maybe a few others out there still have it, I'm not too sure. This selection is way different from the reports I'm hearing from genotypes distributed by the landrace team, cannabiogen, etc.

My seeds are about 10 years old and decreasing in viability, so I'm doing a seed increase this year to ensure the line is kept long term. It's tricky though: I only got 3 seeds to pop originally (2 females, one male), so the longer I can preserve the seeds and the less they have to go through sexual reproduction, the longer inbreeding depression can be avoided.

Given that this line will eventually get too inbred, I have also out-crossed it with the defunct afropips' malawi gold. I chose an african strain since that's the closest relative I have in the seed library to punto rojo. Anyways, (malawi gold x punto rojo) is being back-crossed to the original punto rojo. The line is being kept both pure and hybridized/back-crossed to give the best chance at long term survival.

One thing is for sure: BSC's version of punto rojo lives up to its legendary name! The high is functional, extremely comfortable, soaring, has little to no ceiling, and is med-high in strength. Surprisingly, this has a very high rosin yield too! It's also not surprising that the yields are enormous!

Some flowers still developing, these will finish probably late october or early November. I have one individual that will finish mid october, but it doesn't smell as pungent:
50405063983_e93d510bb9_c.jpg

Just starting to frost up:
50405917892_2573807e1d_c.jpg

The plant in the middle is BSC's punto rojo:
50405773766_37ae826fcf_c.jpg

50405775666_369c644724_c.jpg

meizzwang

BSC Punto rojo buds filling in! yield is high, and this particular individual will be done end of October! The earlier one that finished mid October wasn't very good, so I'm probably going to toss it out. This one pictured below, however, smells outstanding and is very resinous. It has a sweet yet spicy smell to it.

There are several siblings that probably won't finish until end of November. One individual, which looks like it'll be done early to mid November smells like the candy Pez, it's unbelievable! None of the original parents had that smell whatsoever! I'm guessing the original 3 seedlings I got came from an enormous population, and judging by how I've been able to avoid inbreeding depression, these probably still have some level of diversity to them. Just to slow down the process of excessive inbreeding, I made as many seeds as possible from multiple different plants.

Pics taken 10/25/20:
50529332762_91be644fe6_c.jpg

50529329782_64a4ff9f87_c.jpg

50529162606_a8730feca2_c.jpg

50529316652_530a567a2d_c.jpg

50528430933_d92a55eb29_c.jpg

Anyone else out there have BSC's punto rojo? Would love to see some pictures to compare notes, I hope I'm not the only one with it! Would be nice to get this into circulation: judging by the grow reports from the commercially available versions of punto rojo, this one is completely different, both in looks and effects!

Plantguy

That sounds pretty awesome effects meizzwang. Functional, comfortable yet soaring. I'm always interested in something like that. I've got manipuri going. Started flowering mid-late September so looking like a long time left. How would you compare the two?

meizzwang

plantguy: mid to late september is actually a good sign for manipuri if you're growing in an environment that doesn't freeze hard in November/december. It means you have a chance to finish them outdoors, it could finish possibly between mid to late November if you're lucky! When you get the ones that start preflowering mid October, those are the types that finish January/february. In my environment (outdoors), even with a mild winter, such late bloomers, even if they're rot resistant, will get beat up by the rain to the point that the physical damage causes botrytis to form. I didn't even harvest my super late one, but I did finish it! Here's Ukhrul (tree pheno), pics taken Feb. 8th:
50541971338_a9d9af1701_c.jpg

50542699866_1640c7c24a_c.jpg

50541969088_19b50d6861_c.jpg

It has been a few years since I've smoked the good quality clones of punto rojo, so I'm going to try some of the more recent harvest in a few weeks and get back to you with an accurate response. Here's my smoke report/review on manipuri: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=307351&page=21

M

Maquiypa

Wooo Meizzwang your pics are awesome !!! :watchplant:

thanks bro for share your work and this information ! Love Sativa's like this ! :plant grow:

peace !

Maqua :smoke:

Latest posts

Latest posts