What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos got the best Afghan?

FletchF.Fletch

420club
0625221335.jpg

We gonna find out...

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

I got some Afghan Hash Plant seeds x 4 regs as a freebie from an order some time ago. They’re Barneys Farm, a company I don’t know much about apart from all their varieties. I grew them out last year and was very surprised, I’ve kept one as it has the most gorgeous black current and hash flavour as well as a quite narrow leaf. Very potent and typically narcotic. It’s not the biggest yielding and takes 10 weeks to mature from clone. This was a nice surprise. The other female was more to the black hash flavour and typically great for introspection in deep space.

revegeta666

Ortega types (named after Jim Ortega)are thinner leaf Affies and taller skinnier type by growth, so not all pure ML afghanis are BLD type either.

This comment really caught my attention. I didn't know about this. Coincidentally I keep a Maple Leaf Indica plant that has narrow leaves and lankier branchier morphology. I really love it. It was the only one with narrow leaves in 20 seeds. Her sisters were good but more similar to other afghans I had. This one seems to have some nuance in the effect that really clicks with me. I suspect it may have to do with cbd or something like that.

This is a clone of it grown last summer.
Screenshot 2022-06-27 00.28.55.png

Screenshot 2022-06-27 00.28.20.png

It does look kind of similar to your BD pheno. At least the leaf shape and bud structure in a way. Mine hates nitrogen which seems to be the case with yours as well.

Last year I bought a pack of Ortega from Mr Nice, just to try out another afghan. I didn't know about the connection to the Maple Leaf. Do you think I have chances to find more plants like this in the Ortega seeds?

GoatCheese

Veteran
^^^^

MNS Ortega is a NL5 x NL1 hybrid, it’s not related to Sensi’s MLI at all, so you got something mixed up with the info..

::::::::::

Your plant looks nice, r-666.

MLI also has Skunk1 in it, The Ortega mom wasn’t the only source of nld traits in MLI, and your plant may have some SK1 genes in it, to me it looks quite different to my BD Ortega. Ortega-types seem to be quite slender-abit single cola oriented and your plant looks abit too bulky and brachy, but still it should have alot of Ort genes in it cause MLI was was originally 50% Ortega-type = (Ort x AfgT/SK1) x (Ort x AfgS/SK1).

I have never seen a photos of Nevil’s Ortegas, AfgS or AfgT plants, but AfgT seems to breed more bld types than Ortega, don’t know about AfgS.

Someone wrote on MNS forums that MNS Nordle is AfgS x SK1 but Shanti didn’t leave any comment about the claim, so i don’t know if it’s true, but your plant looks abit like some Nordle types on the photos, so maybe it is a AfgS/sk1 pheno?? I haven’t grown Nordle myself.
EDIT: Nordle is actually Afg-T x Skunk so basically a Super Skunk
Here's a what Nevil said about it on some thread at MNS forums:
"Names don't mean much to me. Super Skunk, Ultra Skunk, Nordle. It's all AfgT x SK1 to me."

On MNS Nordle page it says “Breeders: Nevil & Shantibaba” so Shanti made it with Nevil’s old seed stock

https://mrnice.nl/dhtml/strains.php?id=61

Go to MNS forums and look thru the Nordle threads on the Strains-subforum, there’s bunch of Nordle photos there.

The Maple Leaf-Ortega has fairly dark green leaf – look at the photo of the US Ortega clone – that are abit tear drop shaped, the fingers i mean, while the narrow leaf on your plant looks more straight to me and lighter green. And the plant looks too bulky and brachy to be a pure Ortega-type, like i mentioned.

How does it smell? Ortega-types seems to have gingerbread cookies/cinnamon spicey hash aroma + berries ..may also have sweet apricots and (green) apple notes.

Last edited:

revegeta666

^^^^

MNS Ortega is a NL5 x NL1 hybrid, it’s not related to Sensi’s MLI at all, so you got something mixed up with the info..

::::::::::

Your plant looks nice, r-666.

MLI also has Skunk1 in it, The Ortega mom wasn’t the only source of nld traits in MLI, and your plant may have some SK1 genes in it, to me it looks quite different to my BD Ortega. Ortega-types seem to be quite slender-abit single cola oriented and your plant looks abit too bulky and brachy, but still it should have alot of Ort genes in it cause MLI was was originally 50% Ortega-type = (Ort x AfgT/SK1) x (Ort x AfgS/SK1).

I have never seen a photos of Nevil’s Ortegas, AfgS or AfgT plants, but AfgT seems to breed more bld types than Ortega, don’t know about AfgS.

Someone wrote on MNS forums that MNS Nordle is AfgS x SK1 but Shanti didn’t leave any comment about the claim, so i don’t know if it’s true, but your plant looks abit like some Nordle types on the photos, so maybe it is a AfgS/sk1 pheno?? I haven’t grown Nordle myself.

On MNS Nordle page it says “Breeders: Nevil & Shantibaba” so Shanti made it with Nevil’s old seed stock

https://mrnice.nl/dhtml/strains.php?id=61

Go to MNS forums and look thru the Nordle threads on the Strains-subforum, there’s bunch of Nordle photos there.

The Maple Leaf-Ortega has fairly dark green leaf – look at the photo of the US Ortega clone – that are abit tear drop shaped, the fingers i mean, while the narrow leaf on your plant looks more straight to me and lighter green. And the plant looks too bulky and brachy to be a pure Ortega-type, like i mentioned.

How does it smell? Ortega-types seems to have gingerbread cookies/cinnamon spicey hash aroma + berries ..may also have sweet apricots and (green) apple notes.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I just assumed MNS' Ortega would be related because of the name. I haven't grown them yet. I will check the nordle thank you.

There must be some skunk in the maple leaf as you say because I got a couple of phenotypes that were skunk-like, fruity flavor and much stronger than the others. I usually avoid strong skunks because the high is not what I am looking for. Sometimes they put me on edge so to say.

Tha plant I showed you has a very different effect. Quite clear mentally and very relaxing body effect, not really narcotic so much as truly relaxing. Often when I smoke this plant it makes me sigh lol, as when you release tension. This is why I said it clicks with me in a way. I have been considering sending it for testing, just to see if I can get an idea what it is that I like so much about it and look for.similar strains based on the results.

As for the taste, it matches your description pretty well I think. Spicy and sweet but not very fruity. Cinnamon, berries, pine, hash, sounds right. Maybe a little green apple as well.

As for the structure, this is a clone but the plant from seed was much less bulky and her stems are very thin for an indica. I just took a couple pictures of this year's clone I have outside.
IMG_20220627_110412.jpg

IMG_20220627_110346.jpg

You say the narrow leaves may come from the skunk part, but effect-wise this plant has nothing to do with skunks. I don't know much about genetics so I don't know if it's normal for it to look so different to most afghans, yet have such a pure indica effect. I used to smoke only Moroccan hash for a long time before I ever grew weed. This is the plant that I grew that is closest to the effect of the hash I used to smoke.

zaprjaques

I smoked some Dutch Passion Ortega Indica that smelled similar, at least what i can remember of it, a bit like some gingerbread/cinnamon type with dried fruits and hash with a bit of sourness in the back end.
It was not very psychoactive, more like a calming soft body stone with a bit of headspace to it. Great for the very last bit of the day. I wish i had some of it now. Wouldnt stink up the place either.

GoatCheese

Veteran
@ r-666

Yea those veg picks show little more Ortega. The aroma profile you mentioned sure is similar to my BD. Maybe you have a proper MLI polyhybrid – bit of this and bit of that.

My Ortega-BD is also the best stuff after a stressful day. It has abit of that joyful “bliss” effect like the best Blueberry afghanis have, so i’m sure your plant has good bit of Ort in it as alot of it seems to match my BD-Ort.

Nevil’s Skunks seem to have quite noticeable aroma traits, perfumey, lavander, gummy, musty, stuff you can find in UK Cheese genetics, so those smells are quite easy to pick out.

MNS Nordle doesn’t look very bld in bloom either in the photos i’ve seen and Maple Leaf-afghani sure wasn’t a pure bld line, so it’s possible there are more narrow leaf traits among them. My BD-Ort seems to breed recessive phenos that are even more nld than she is, tall and lankier types.

First Lady from Sensi Seeds is also based around Maple Leaf-afghani genetics i’ve read and seems to have those nld traits from the Ortega-types. Haven’t grown any and the line doesn’t look good enough for me to try, some plants are abit leafy.

revegeta666

@ r-666

Yea those veg picks show little more Ortega. The aroma profile you mentioned sure is similar to my BD. Maybe you have a proper MLI polyhybrid – bit of this and bit of that.

My Ortega-BD is also the best stuff after a stressful day. It has abit of that joyful “bliss” effect like the best Blueberry afghanis have, so i’m sure your plant has good bit of Ort in it as alot of it seems to match my BD-Ort.

Nevil’s Skunks seem to have quite noticeable aroma traits, perfumey, lavander, gummy, musty, stuff you can find in UK Cheese genetics, so those smells are quite easy to pick out.

MNS Nordle doesn’t look very bld in bloom either in the photos i’ve seen and Maple Leaf-afghani sure wasn’t a pure bld line, so it’s possible there are more narrow leaf traits among them. My BD-Ort seems to breed recessive phenos that are even more nld than she is, tall and lankier types.

First Lady from Sensi Seeds is also based around Maple Leaf-afghani genetics i’ve read and seems to have those nld traits from the Ortega-types. Haven’t grown any and the line doesn’t look good enough for me to try, some plants are abit leafy.
Yes, blissful is a very good way to describe it. It has a positive effect on my mood almost everytime I use it. It is the indica version of happy weed. An adjective one would use more often when describing light sativas.

I will add the first lady and nordle to my autistic investigation list :D and if I may ask, where did you get your BD keeper? Did you find it yourself and if so, were the seeds recent? I have wanted to grow them for a long time but they are quite expensive. I have smoked BD weed from a popular local clone (la barraquera) and really like it. No idea of what that one looks like though.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I found my BD-Ort in half a pack of Sensi Seeds’. Yea, they are quite expensive seeds and i prolly wouldn’t buy them again. It seems to be quite unstable phenotypically -thou this prolly helped me to find very Ort-heavy pheno. This pack was from Sensi’s spring cleaning discount around 2016.

The Ortega-types have the gingerbread cookie/cinnamon aroma on their stems even in veg- with some menthol notes, so they are fairly easy to pick out already in veg – taller, slender and narrower leaf.

GoatCheese

Veteran
EDIT: Nordle is actually Afg-T x Skunk so basically a Super Skunk
Here's a what Nevil said about it on some thread at MNS forums:
"Names don't mean much to me. Super Skunk, Ultra Skunk, Nordle. It's all AfgT x SK1 to me."
Bump ... a little edit

acespicoli

Landrace Afghani

Landrace Afghani

I was gifted 38 seeds sourced direct from Afghanistan, of those seeds 37 were very similar but 1 grew with single blade leaf and was almost runt like for the first month of growing. She ended up being possibly the greatest find I've had in any seeds let alone landrace. Im currently testing this cut crossed with my ChemValley Cooks (Forum GSC x SFV OG/ChemD BX).

read the thread and... :yeahthats

grayeyes

A while back I traded for some Afghani #1 seeds. Grew it out and frankly wasn't impressed with it. Left it in the bag in the closet. The other day I found it and drug it out. After more than a year or two of curing the stuff is fairly tasty and very potent. Funny how leaving it alone in the dark will do that.

JayWilly

Just thought i would put this info out there for people that would appreciate it.Maple leaf indica sold by sensi seeds is a Female (Afg s x skunk 18.5 ) x ort15 crossed with a male (afg t x skunk18.5 ) x ort 15. Ort15 or ortega 15 was a male and afg t and afg s were both sisters of a given strain nevil called maple leaf and he thinks there from pure mazar-i-sharif stock . Skunk #1 was received by nevil in a few different versions . Skunk 18.5 was a later version of Skunk #1 that he received and the one he worked the most and bred with. Nevil created the strain maple leaf indica for sensi seeds using both Skunk #1 18.5 and maple leaf mix (mazar-i-sharif phenos) . The maple leaf mix came from jim ortega , the Skunk #1 from Sam the skunkman.

OZZ_

Veteran
After reading through the thread here I’m surprised no one has mentioned Bohdis Cherry Queen?? Anyone have any experience with it??

I’ve got a pack of that held back, also a pack of the USCs Black Afghani and a bunch of deep chunk F2’s also.

ACE put out a Hashplant S1 which is supposedly an old hashplant from the 90’s. Have those stashed too along with there PCK. Really need to break these old ghani lines out in the next few years and at least let them OP to refresh them.

If I ever get to a point where I’ve got a hiatus in my flower tent Ivecwsnted to do a big OP on all those Deep Chunks and just do a freebie giveaway to spread them far and wide. It’s one of the originals it needs to be preserved. The more hands you can get it in the better imo