What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro!

Buddyy

so youre playin the 'natural' card. global warming too. TEHO. some day I hope to be as good as you are now, buddy.

no I'm not playing any card. I just said cloning is natural. You said it wasn't natural. That's all there is to it.

Buddyy

Why marocan kief finish at the end of august ? Why it is short and make only one bud besides it's a sativa strain ? Why is there more males than females ? Because it grows in a poor soil, stressed by eating only phosphats and no Nitrogen, since they only bring phosphats to the soil and they have been growing kief for 200 years on the same parcels always.
So my theory is that stressed plants finish earlier than happy plants. And personally when i grow in soil they are not happy with me, i switch between overwatering and underfed, so i stick to hydro, DWC, and chelated nutes as BIO NOVA, and as soon as i get a decent camera i show you my ladies.

John, Have you been to Morocco?

In Morocco there are now many different strains of cannabis. People have brought seeds over from around the world.
http://geopium.org/?p=655...

btw they use fertilisers with nitrogen

T

thesloppy

I see lots of folks conflate organic soil growing with ecological friendliness, which is often the exact opposite of the case. If someone is able to use 100% recycled soil and/or source completely local, vegan amendments than that absolutely terrific environmentally and ecologically. However, plenty of folks using/starting with amendments made from ground up fish, animal bones, kelps, or exotic guanos will also regularly talk as if they're growing with the earth in mind, while using some of the most ecologically harmful nutrients available.

The idea that farming, feeding and growing fish & cattle for grinding up into powder to feed the microbes in your soil is remarkably more natural and/or less harmful for the earth than digging minerals out of the ground is something that sounds ridiculous when you think about it for a second, but something you hear suggested all the time on weed boards. Ditto for exotic bat/bird shit harvested and shipped half way around the world, in a manner which is extremely harmful for the bats/birds in question.

None of which is a dig at anybody in particular in this thread, since y'all could be using completely recycled locally sourced soil for all I know. Plenty of folks do these days, and it makes a ton of sense if your garden/space will allow it...but you'll also still hear lots of folks ripping synthetic/mineral nutes for ecological reasons with a garden full of guanos and ground up fish heads and horse bones, which is ridiculous and hypocritical.

It also seems worth noting that the typical/hypothetical persons most likely to condemn mineral nutrients for plants based on ecological/natural reasons are also the most likely to recommend mineral nutritional supplements for people.

Last edited:
John, Have you been to Morocco?

In Morocco there are now many different strains of cannabis. People have brought seeds over from around the world.
http://geopium.org/?p=655...

btw they use fertilisers with nitrogen

Yes, many times, several locations in the riff, i even made my own hash buying kief and working it, and what i saw is what i told you. Now, i know, some farmers buy seeds from other contries, like afghan or pakistan, but from what i smoked, i prefer the old one.

Buddyy

So where and how does mother nature do her 'natural' cloning?

you are funny. Of course most cannabis plants can't clone themselves unless a branch would break off and stick into the ground the right way up and would then root itself...which I'm sure has happened, but this is beside the point. And as RockinRobot has stated other plants reproduce by cloning themselves.

Just because a person helps the process by cutting the branch off and putting it somewhere so it can grow roots doesn't mean it's not NATURAL. Get it? Cloning is a natural process which people have been doing for thousands of years....I mean you just cut of a branch and it roots itself.....there are no foreign influences, no artificial process, nothing just a branch of a plant growing roots.... it is a 100% natural thing

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
my thoughts were cloning to preserve genetics. we could discuss global warming to the same end. perspective.:tiphat:

strawberries.:biggrin:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Cloning is a horticulture practice in the main stream farming operations (large scale). I don't know how long man has been cloning plants for. The reason all of those apples taste the same at the grocery store is because all the trees are cuttings from one "mother tree" or they where grafted. I figure some one first observed some plant sending out runners and the runners rooting, or some one had flowers or cuts of some plant in a glass on the window sill and noticed that they rooted. Monkey see monkey do. I have seen cuttings from some plants root in a glass of water on a window sill.

Last edited:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where most brag about their giant root masses/balls, I brag that mine are the opposite, due to my system being super efficient.

I posted pics on my other thread but here are the 2 root balls that generated 383gms+ wet trimmed bud

The ornamental stones pictured were intertwined in the roots helping them spread throughout the 10' net pot

View attachment 343293 View attachment 343294

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I've noticed over the years that sometimes they can grow too big of a root system and the one's with smaller root systems (not the smallest ones) yielded better.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cleaned the stones and totes. Will be moving 2 of the most similar clones from my DIY bubbler into the TL D200 tent due to Big Mex (under the SE 220) still chugging along. Hopefully no longer than 5 more days

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Move done. The clones have a fairly well established root system that needed to be embedded into the stones, but no way to do that.

Plan B: I made a pocket and placed an empty net pot under each root ball so the roots drop directly into it. This should allow for the roots to grow out and across/into the stones, as well as get a good drink from the hourly feedings

I drilled 3" holes in the lids of the totes and dropped the 3" net pots in. This makes for a neat, clean (and mosquito free) set up

I can't get over how clean and simple this is

View attachment 343422

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally, for those who are interested...

Personally, I have no dog in this hunt. You can expect an unbiased report

However, it will be educational to see how well 2 uniquely different LED companies cannabis offerings of similar wattage 220/230) perform; a hybrid COB vs a Remote Phosphor (with one spectrum throughout) compares using virtually identical clones, both o/o and feed cycles from the same automated controls

Due to the big ass Mexican plant (sat dom) currently under the SE 220, AND, the fact that the clones have outgrown their starter tent, I moved the clones under the Transcend Lighting D200

The plant under the SE 220 will probably be harvested within 5 days at which point I will move one of the clones under it

Both will be getting the identical nutes now and when one gets moved to the Amare SE 220, although they will dispense from separate rezes

View attachment 343463 View attachment 343464

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Merry Harvest Day to me

I harvested the BigMex from under the Amare SE 220. Just the top cola buds is 161 gms

View attachment 343713 View attachment 343714 View attachment 343715

:woohoo: Was it the structured water, the cool ass COB hybrid LED, the HR +Size nutrient during flower, or...? Hard to say

Cleaning the tote/net pot/ and stones in preparation to move one of the 2 clones currently under the TL D200 to the SE 220

Here's an interesting article: The Health Benefits of Magnetic Water

http://www.life-sources.com/pdf/lsi_magnetized.pdf

I am on the lookout for a 1/2" inline filter housing to hold magnetite balls so when the feed cycle engages it passes through the filter and drains back through it to rez. Currently I structure the water prior to mixing the nutes. I have no idea how long it lasts.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Feeding Frequency

Feeding Frequency

My technique: I feed every hour during veg- mid flower, then slowly decrease the feed cycles to ~ 4 hours during late flowering

BUT, I neglected to turn on the shutoff valve for one of the clones. The plant looked fine throughout the entire day, but was a bit wilted this morning

So I'm wondering... Is there an ideal feed frequency for F & D?

I also use dwc which of course is feeding 24/7

St. Phatty

I started in Soil, switched to Hydro about 1990, switched back to soil 2008.

The differences in opinion are sort of funny. Could it be settled via cage match ?

BadRabbit

I started in Soil, switched to Hydro about 1990, switched back to soil 2008.

The differences in opinion are sort of funny. Could it be settled via cage match ?

Oh, I don't think there's any need for a cage match or the random bitching we see around here sometimes.

There's more than one way to grow great weed, and it all depends on your goals/expectations.

I grew in dirt for about 3 years before switching to hydro, and have never looked back after 15 years.

What kind of hydro did you use and why did you go back to dirt?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
they both have their benefits...having done lots of both indoor and commercial greenhouse with other crops too....hydro has better growth and higher yield but you have to deal with meters and ph and ec and temps are problematic too..things also happen faster ...like ph swings and nute deffs and pump failures,leaks,,,,end product can be real good if the right grower ...but indeed living soil once setup is easy,cheap esp if harvesting local stuff...I harvest seaweed ,shells and other stuff for free while kayaking,swimmin ect along with native plants fpe,s compost...setting up a good living soil takes a bit and you spend time hydro guys don't have to ...except for some fasting ingredients it takes time for them to break down and I have to make teas and such anyhow unlike hydro which will suck them nutes up in the correct ratios quick....I miss my hydro ..I had 5 modified 6 ft square tubes which could run swc or aero,,6 nft channels and a straight line of 8 modified waterfarms which recirculated and other shit...also an aquaponic pond with floating rafts..all my pics went with overgrow,,,if I count actual hours spent with hydro vrs organic grows ..hydro would easily be half the time...........yeehaw..that said living soil rules ..I have a temporay sink we had during remodel that I hooked a pond pump to so water runs out faucet from a bucket underneath...might fill it with lava rock.....right now it sounds like someone taking a pee....I still have yet to get an led ,,but I read all your threads petflora..those 70$$$ led tube style has my interest...and I need to read more on that water stuff you do as I don't have an opinion yet...so much bullshit out there for growers ..good saleman...there a sucker born every minute lol