What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizae and fungi products comparision

betshtick

My favorite is MycoGrow soluble powder from Fungi.com. Has it all pretty much, endo, ecto, bennies and trichoderma. 1/2 tsp per gallon so the $6 ounce actually lasts a while.

RetroGrow

Veteran
BioAG Vam is the only product I'd recommend. VAM includes seven species of endo-mycorrhizae with a heavy dose of the aggressive Glomus intraradices, It should also be noted that VAM contains only endo-mycorrhizae so growers aren’t wasting money on ectos that only associate with trees.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect is that VAM does not contain any Trichoderma which is cheap, the spore count for it in these mixes usually eclipses all the other organisms put together. Unlike endomycorrhizal fungi, Trichoderma requires no root contact to sprout and grow. In addition to this, its favorite food is other fungi...... guess what happens if your chosen product contains 10,000 spores per gram of Trichoderma and 100 spores per gram total of other fungal species.... think highlander.

The biology of mycorrhizas home page
Cultivating diversity underground for better yields above
USDA Research Project: DEVELOPMENT OF EFFICIENT AND PRACTICAL METHODS FOR PRODUCING ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI

This is an interesting topic. Since I use coco, it is full of trichoderma. However, I don't start my seedlings in coco, but rather in 20 oz. Solo cups of Foxfarms Lightwarrior Seed Starter Mix, with mycorrhizae. When the cup is filled with roots, I then transplant into coco. This way, the mycorrhizae are already established before being exposed to trichoderma. Then,they form a symbiotic relationship. The mycorrhizae greatly increase the ability of the roots to absorb nutrients, and the trichoderma eat the bad guys.

Trichoderma affects mycorrhizal fungi in petri dishes, but on plant roots their effects are frequently and beneficially additive or synergistic.
Trichoderma (depends on species/strain) can acts as antagonist to other soil borne pathogenic fungi such as Rhizoctonia spp. If the plant has well colonized mycorrhiza, the presence (quantity is imp here) of trichoderma provide an additional benefit to the plant. However, if there is large quantity before the application of AMF, then trichoderma will prevent AMF to establish.

This link is helpful:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929139300000755

"Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi as well as microbial-free inoculants used as phytostimulators (Azospirillum) or as biological control agents of fungi (Pseudomonas and Trichoderma) have shown beneficial effects on plant growth and health. The study of plants inoculated with biological control agents and AMF requires special attention because of the possibility that these fungal antagonists could also interfere with AM fungi. Our study was performed to test the effects of these inoculants upon mycorrhizal colonization in maize plants inoculated with Glomus mosseae, Glomus deserticola and natural AMF from the test soil. Populations of culturable bacteria and fungi in the rhizosphere soil were also examined since inoculation with AM fungi and other soil microorganisms can affect both quantitatively and qualitatively the microbial communities in the plant rhizosphere. Enzyme activities (esterase, phosphatase, trehalase and chitinase) were used as an index to detect changes in the microbial functioning in soil, as affected by mycorrhizal and other inoculation treatments. None of the microbial inoculants used, even those biocontrol agents of fungi, showed negative effects on AM establishment. Mycorrhizal colonization induced qualitative changes in the bacterial population depending on the inoculant combination involved. Esterase activity was particularly increased by G. mosseae (256%), phosphatase activity by natural AMF (166%), chitinase by G. mosseae (197%), G. deserticola (152%) and natural AMF (151%), and trehalase by G. deserticola (444%). As a result of mycorrhizal colonization and microbial inoculation, modifications of the microbial community structure and ecology were found. An understanding of these effects as part of ecosystem processes is essential for obtaining the maximum benefit for plant growth and health in the context of soil–plant system sustainability.

DrPimpNugs

have had excellent results using the great white pepper shaker bottle. I just sprinkle a little bit during transplant right underneath where the roots with touch directly(for endo activation). A little goes a long way and theres no doubt using it during every transplant start to finish will have a beneficial effect.

Have noticed amazing results with great white despite people trying to steer me towards the kashi. Maybe theres a cheaper alternative, but I will pay for the results I have seen.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Another product came to my attention.

MYKE® PRO PS3

ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
ENDOMYCORRHIZAL (AM) FUNGI
Glomus intraradices (viable spores/g)3,200

Seeing as its only glomus intraradices.... you get the most effective fungi without the fillers.
I will place my order tomorrow, but I can already assume it'll be my new favorite mycorrhizal product.

Diggaz

Sea4 I do believe the company that makes mike was the first to sell myco, that accounts for something in my book.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
They have a new product hitting shelves in 9 days I think it will be called PUR mycorrhizae inoculant or something to that effect. The local Denver sales rep from Myke Pro is shooting me some samples, but I believe grofax on colfax will be one of the first stores to have it in stock on the shelves.

I'll let y'all know more when I do...

-Sea

couchlockd

i used to use an's piranha and tarantula, now i use Great White Mycorrhizae. i have been using great white for bout 5 years now. i recently been thoroughly impressed with a liquid called "PHOTOSYNTHESIS PLUS" it smells like stink bombs from the flea market. but works enough to impress me. great white also impresses me, nothing else has or does in the myco's products

C

CBDhunter

I am currently using EndoMaximus a few locals passed along, no ill effects, no lag times, and healthy as hell root systems , I will try and find my paperwork regarding populations per gram.

C

CBDhunter

Sorry I meant EndoMaxima
EndoMaxima is a concentrate of spores representing a generalist Glomus species that is global and which will always work with*plants*that can associate with an Endo (VAM) type mycorrhizae. Guaranteed to contain at minimum 1,450,000 viable spores of*Glomus intradices*per pound! Every attempt is made to screen EndoMaxima of all root tissues, dead fungal tissues, soil, and other impurities, all of which can contribute to loss of spore viability

blooper

i've only tried the santiam organics line of myco and i'm not exactly sold. i was given samples to add in at transplant and did just like the guy said. he promised noticeably healthier plants and explosive growth within a week or two of the roots being inoculated but i didn't notice that. in fact, the plants didn't seem to like it.

L

Luther Burbank

I'm a big fan of BioAG's VAM. I'd lost my bag of it recently and only found it on the most recent batch of cuttings. The rooting following the VAM application was incredible.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
If you search a scientific database you can find examples that demonstrate where Trichoderma will use the actual mycorrhizae, IE: glomus intraradices and glomus mossae as a food source.

Putting Trichoderma and Mycorrhiza into the same bag is like putting snakes and baby bunnies in the same cage.

Yes, Trichoderma have shown small beneficial effects on plant growth and health.... but not nearly to the extent of glomus intraradices and glomus mossae...

Interactions between arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and other microbial inoculants (Azospirillum, Pseudomonas, Trichoderma) and their effects on microbial population and enzyme activities in the rhizosphere of maize plants

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry I meant EndoMaxima
EndoMaxima is a concentrate of spores representing a generalist Glomus species that is global and which will always work with*plants*that can associate with an Endo (VAM) type mycorrhizae. Guaranteed to contain at minimum 1,450,000 viable spores of*Glomus intradices*per pound! Every attempt is made to screen EndoMaxima of all root tissues, dead fungal tissues, soil, and other impurities, all of which can contribute to loss of spore viability

This product from Soil Secrets has the same spore count and same species, as the Premier Tech product and has admitted that 'on occasion' they purchase their supply of Glomus Intraradices from Premier, 'when they run out'.

How long have I been writing about this on this forum guys? 2008?

paperchaser825

Umm, can one of the you Neil Degrasse Tyson mofos translate for me? You guys sayin the VAM is the way to go? Even for hydro? How does this compare to ACT (tea). Sorry if that was in the thread somewhere. I honestly couldn't decipher this one....

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
ACT and myco are different animals (literally lol)

I say look for glomus intraradices and no trichoderma

MM's talking about PRO-MIX PUR Powder I believe... I cannot seem to get MYKE in the states anymore... their sales rep said he's sending me samples of some new stuff... i guess it hits shelves next week...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Umm, can one of the you Neil Degrasse Tyson mofos translate for me? You guys sayin the VAM is the way to go? Even for hydro? How does this compare to ACT (tea). Sorry if that was in the thread somewhere. I honestly couldn't decipher this one....

I believe the bioag product is good. All I can personally attest to is Premier PS3, which must be purchased in one pound+ packages. There are some other sources and as C4 mentioned, it is most practical to purchase a product with Glomus Intraradices only at a high spore count; eg. 100+ spores per gram. I use it at 250 s/g but I mix my own.

Alternatively you can use Trichoderma which is the highest active ingredient in most mycorrhizal fungi mixes (like the AN one). Trichoderma is not 'officially' simbiotic with roots but provides tremendous benefit. This benefit accounts for the great testimonials for many mycorrhizal mixes.

To get a high spore count of Trichoderma;
http://media.wix.com/ugd/2affcb_4397784c045c4ad68d90de6d9560fd76.pdf

http://www.shop.growninmyownbackyar...A7522C490ADD59C35BE47A80DC1775.m1plqscsfapp05

http://www.growninmyownbackyard.com/uploads/RootShield_H_G_SPECIMEN_LABEL_071813.pdf

I'm don't know this from experience…

I'm don't know this from experience…

"In reality if you are serious about getting endomycorrhizal fungi to colonize the roots of your plants you should know that, according to current science of which I am aware, there are only two known endomycorrhizal fungi species which colonize the roots of cannabis/hemp."

Would it be too much to ask one cite the scientific sources of said current science?

C

ct guy2

"In reality if you are serious about getting endomycorrhizal fungi to colonize the roots of your plants you should know that, according to current science of which I am aware, there are only two known endomycorrhizal fungi species which colonize the roots of cannabis/hemp."

Would it be too much to ask one cite the scientific sources of said current science?

I don't have time to find said sources but I can vouch for the information being accurate, with the 2 known species being glomus intraradices and glomus mossae.