What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

Dr. D

Veteran
I thought id do this thread to show newb growers and growers new to hydro just how simple and cheap it is, before i start this is a pic of my last plant in this style of hydro growing..it goes by many names oxy-pot, bubbler bucket, dwc(deepwaterculture)...

this was Mr Nice Shit it was vegged for two weeks from clone and yielded 90 grams of bud..u can see the extensive root system u get with this style of growing....Right the how too...u will need these following things for ur bubbler

small amount of hydroton balls£4, u can use perlite and other media too but i lkie the clay balls best,next u need a net pot 50 pence,

u will need a bucket£1 or any container that wont let light thru and has a lid

i had to cut a lid from another container
u u need to cut a hole for the net pot to sit in, as u can see, next up is an airstone(this airstone was £4 its ceramic) and air pump£12 and some silicone piping to connect them

this is a cheap and very effective alternative to the airstone its porous pipng and u can do wot u like with it and it is very cheap bout £2 a metre, im using this on this one cuz for some reason my ceramic is not workin properly :confused: oh and last but not least a rooted cut ready for veg
best to start cuts in a cube but this is in a bubbler cloner...so its simple stick ur airstone in the bottom of the pot

fill up with water and nutrient solution ..i use a root stim to start..then turn on ur pump

then fill ur net pot with hydroton and place ur cut in there

then voila stick the net pot in the lid and place lid on the bucket

to start with have the water level touching the bottom of the net pot until the roots start going down into the water..it also helps to get a little fish tank thermometer to keep an eye on the temps..my temp was 16 c mostly last time and i had no probs but it shud be higher 20-22c...the only thing i havent included here is nutes thats for u to decide there are so many..i use Vita-link and b'cuzz or bio-bizz bloom stims...so there it is very simple effective and cheap il post pics and info as the plant progresses any q's feel..peacefree to ask...peace

ncsproutiv

nice and simple Dr.D...one question...what size is that pump, i have a 60g dual outlet pump that doesn't seem to get the bubbles out like it should...i have one tube connected to a ceramic stone just like the one pictured, the other is hooked up to a limewood stone...both stones perform about the same...the plants are growing fine, i just feel they could use a bit more motion and air...
thanks

mosess187

nice setup

nice setup

:Bolt: seriously thinking of doing that with what ever of the healthiest females i have.... :smoker: :lurk: I'll check back with you

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey ncsproutiv..that is just a single outlet pump its only like 2 watts but i works a treat...for some reason it wasnt kickin air thru the ceramic airstone like usual so i used the porous tubing which works great...
Mosess, check back with me anytime
Sacko glad u like it mate is too easy for ur first go at hydro

G

What is the maintenance schedule on one of these systems like,and how big of a plant can it support?I would like to try a system like this with about 8 plants in an 8x4 foot area under 1830 watts.Any pointers. :lurk: :chin:

These are the best beginner systems...I started with an emily's garden, once I realized that there was nothing to them I realized that I could make my own. Dr. D's is nice looking.

I think a newbie mistake is trying to get too many plants, but two of those bubbler set ups would yield just as much per harvest as 6-8 littler plants. Fewer bigger plants I think is the way to go, and much less legal liability as well.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Depending on the size of container you use you can grow trees mate. also, they can be hooked up together and connected to a res to make the maintainence easier.

nycnoob

nice massive root system DR.D.. I hear that the 1 inch airstone gives nice fine bubbles and a lot.. I hear of people putting in couple in the bucket.. also those ring ones are great

Dr. D

Veteran
hey vt nuggs the maintenance is very low u just need to keep an eye on the ph and top up the nutrient solution the bigger bucket/container u have the bigger u cna grow ur plants but u dont need to grow em that big cuz they yield very well..u can hook up a controller bucket that tops em up..im sure there is a thread on makin one tho i think it was by HOG and is gone il try and find a link for ya
Benito..too right they are great systems and u only need to veg for a coupl of weeks
Hey Harry thanks for u input
nycnoob...thanks i always expect a root system like that from these systems thats why they work so well huge root systems and max air to the roots..so far im thnikn the porous tubing is better than the ceramic stones and its loads cheaper too....

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amazing thread DR D, thanks for getting it up.....i remember ya saying you would when i mentioned how nervous i was about doing it, you were right about it being easy (well you have made me feel very confident now thats for sure) and i cant wait to build one (i want to drive to homebase now lol).
I am evn thinking about an adaptation in size and shape to suit my space.....gonna start with 1 (a clone form a couple of very kind ICmag members...Basic Diesel) and see how i do, so so excited........i am gonna be vegging quite a while and doing EXTENSIVE LST TO so should be very interesting.
Thanks again bro, ill call ya if i need any on the spot advice.
Peace

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey true thats the good thing about makin ur own u can find a continer to suit il give ya some porous tubin wen u come up for ur airstone...mmmn Basic Diesel hey thats the only Rez strain that has tempted me..if ur gonna veg big be careful they can get out of control and u need a big root space....peace

Sleepy

Veteran
Great thread, Dr.D!!

Great thread, Dr.D!!

hopefully this would help anyone considering hydro to make the jump!

it's really a great method. almost foolproof...

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Sleepy thanks, hopefully this would help anyone considering hydro to make the jump! that was why i started this thread to show newbs and non hydro growers alike how easy it really is..hopefully it will inspire peeps to try it out and they will be astounded by the results!

Dr. D

Veteran
we got roots!!

we got roots!!

iv been checkin them evryday and they only took bout three days to show roots but now they are flying...i gave the plants a weak feed and some Bio-bizz rootjuice which i later discovered was off (not surprising it was an old bottle and the last bit) check ur organic nutes if uv had em a while...they can go off!! so iv got a bit of sediment in the bucket, il change water today...the roots would be bigger and healthier if id used fresh Root Juice but il add some of that wen i refil and a bit of Cannazym too...heres the pics

they have regained their colour now and are startin to grow....

sorry about the pic quality i had to borrow the cam and it dont like me lol...u can see a bit of brown on the roots...be-aware of this it could be root rot but ul kno if u touch them...this is just sediment from the Root juice itl wash off wen i refil...these roots will really take off over the next week, then she will be goin over to 12/12...any questions fire away...peace

bolan

nice man but i want to grow about 6-10 plants is that possible i only got 2 spare plugs in room cheers

Dr. D

Veteran
yeh it wudnt be a problem just use a mutilyplug the pumps are like 2 watts..but if u wanna run six u cud do a controller bucket and have one or two pumps running them all...we wil sort something for ya..wot ever is easiest for you...peace

ehonda187

Dr D....I nominate for mentor Status!! :joint: Good thread for the newbs, i'm not a newb and it is still a very imformative thread. thanks bro!

mosess187

hey!

hey!

how often do you change out your solution?
If a problem like root rot did occur, what would you do to remedy this?

Latest posts

Latest posts