What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

pico

Veteran
Sun Systems CoolSun XL 8"

Sun Systems CoolSun XL 8"

Ok I forgot to take pictures of the thing as I was trying to get it back in the flowering room. But I can post pictures later if someone really wants to see. Here is the box for now :)

At 18 inches. Measured in footcandles.

1. 820
2. 1350
3. 1330
4. 730
5. 2170
6. 4250
7. 4480
8. 1630
9. 2170
10. 4250
11. 4370
12. 1820
13. 910
14. 1460
15. 1440
16. 790

Average 2123

At 21 inches.

1. 900
2. 1360
3. 1420
4. 940
5. 1980
6. 3560
7. 3740
8. 2150
9. 2030
10. 3620
11. 3630
12. 2140
13. 940
14. 1430
15. 1450
16. 940

Average: 2014

At 24 inches.

1. 980
2. 1440
3. 1460
4. 990
5. 1860
6. 3000
7. 3090
8. 1850
9. 1800
10. 3000
11. 3030
12. 1880
13. 1020
14. 1440
15. 1500
16. 990

Average: 1833

Well the Coolsun XL is coming in last place right now. The Super Sun 2 produces 22.3% more light than the Coolsun XL over a 3x3 area at 18 inches.

I wasn't interested in the Coolsun XL for my 600w lights but I wanted to do the test anyways. I use the Coolsun XL reflectors for my 1000 watters. After seeing the data I want to try my 1000w hps lights inside the supersun 2 and see if it gives me a better spread over a 4x4 than the coolsun xl. I don't need 8 inch cooling if that much light is lost.

The Coolsun XL sure is a beast. Same quality construction as the original Coolsun. No leaks in the main body. Glass still needs to be sealed. 8" ducting provides a ton of airflow. Cord comes out the top of the body sealed instead of inside the ducting.

pico

Veteran
Visual Aids

Visual Aids

Here is a chart that compares all the averages at 18 inches.

12245untitled.jpg

And here is a chart also at 18" but comparing all the plot points for the different reflectors.

12245chartme.JPG

pico

Veteran
Here is how you manipulate a chart to make the results look more extreme then they are. It does give us a closer look at the differences.

12245untitled1.jpg

Same chart as above comparing the averages at 18 inches. This just shows the footcandles between 2000 and 2600 instead of 0 to 2600

jcsmooth

This is amazing work you've done pico, thank you!

It's easier to comparatively shop when you've got hard facts like the ones you've provided.

One question...are you taking the measurements at about the same time after the bulb and ballast are started? I'm sure the bulbs are fully fired and at max. output, but I just wanted to make sure that you include this info. if the thread continues and other people start adding their light measurements to your list.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but if other people wanted to replicate what you're doing and accurately compare scores, maybe you could provide the measurements of the 4 taped corners. It'd be difficult to position hoods and bulbs exactly as you have them, but you'd still be able to compare average scores accurately.

Thanks again. Sorry to nitpick....just love a good experiment :)
JC

G

In the beginning he says he waits a hlf hour for each before taking measurements,real good work man its great to see effort like that to hel[p people out.Man I wish you could compare HID horticultural lamps like a 1K horty against a commercial HPS or 1K agrosun against a regular MH or compare horty lamps to each other.I'm not asking too much am I lol?

jcsmooth

Oops..thanks ballastman. I must have missed that part from the beginning.

I think we need to have more people with one of these light meters. I too would love to see how various bulbs hold up against each other.

Keep 'em coming Pico. We love you for this :)

JC

2buds

Much respect for you pico for undertaking this project. I still use the old super suns with 4" flanges. Nice work man, Thanks! Free seeds for pico.

pico

Veteran
Nice to see this is of use to someone. Thanks jcsmooth, ballastman and 2buds

Unfortunately other people will not be able to add their own data for other reflectors. I used the same bulb for every test and if a different bulb was used the results would be totally different.

Also, this is not the best way of comparing different bulbs because plants don't see footcandles, they see PAR. I don't think you can get a PAR meter. So if I tested all those different bulbs, the only thing it would tell me is what bulb is brighter to the human eye. You can however test your bulbs when new and then keep track of bulb measurements every month and see how much intensity the bulb looses over time. That would be an interesting test. But I think the spectrum of the bulbs probably change a bit over time so again footcandles is not the best way to judge a bulb.

The pieces of tape are 1 foot apart on center and the grid is 3 ft by 3ft.

So, who is sending me a daystar AC, hydrotek silverstar, cooltubes.....?

G

again, nice work pico. musta been fun breakin down the cool sun 6". lol.
it's interesting to see the intensity at the center numbers(#6,7,10,11).
i knew i loved light rails fo a reason,heheh.
i've never run a silverstar but i'd like to see some numbers on those.
i do know that the super and cool suns are built like brick shithouses tho.
good job man.

pico

Veteran
WhyMe- Yeah I had to take down the 6" and 8" coolsun hoods out of the old growroom for a few hours. i think the plants will live. :)

I agree the coolsuns are very well built. The supersun 2 is built just about as sturdy, but there are a few small cracks where light/air can escape on the seams of the body. The Coolsuns look like they got extra powder coating to seal it all up or something.

G

yeah pico, i own a few cool suns and a couple of super suns. takes a man and two boys to lift em, lol.
your numbers surprised me between the two. the cool sun is so much wider than the super sun and i thought the outside numbers(#5,9,8,12) would have been higher with the cool sun. go figger!

pico

Veteran
Well I was thinking that the reason for that was becase with the super sun the light has to travel less distance before being reflected. Plus the SuperSun has more reflective aluminum inside than any of the other reflectors tested.

The 1000w test may tell a different story for the coolsuns.

G

pico said:
Well I was thinking that the reason for that was becase with the super sun the light has to travel less distance before being reflected. Plus the SuperSun has more reflective aluminum inside than any of the other reflectors tested.

The 1000w test may tell a different story for the coolsuns.

just take a lil nap before the next round of tests, heheh. but hey, i hope ya had fun doing the whole thing. numbers dont lie,rite? again, nice thread!!!
i would be sure to wake and bake and read the results of the 1K tho. i don't own any 600's. wink,wink.

G

hey , wait a minute. super sun, 26 x 13=338/sq in. cool sun, 22 x 24=528/sq in.
are those numbers rite?

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Can u test without the tempered glass? I was just wondering if there was any lumen loss due to the glass, if so, about how much?

G

robotwithdreams said:
Can u test without the tempered glass? I was just wondering if there was any lumen loss due to the glass, if so, about how much?

on the third hood he did both. i beleive it was 2% loss.

pico

Veteran
nap? Sleeping is a waste of time. :)

Yeah the supersun2 is a smaller hood than the coolsuns.

I just picked up a sun system super sun 1 hood to test out. Not a very good air cooled hood, but I know a few people have these so we will test them anyways. No one in town sells the daystar or silverstar.

jcsmooth

pico said:
Unfortunately other people will not be able to add their own data for other reflectors. I used the same bulb for every test and if a different bulb was used the results would be totally different.

Yes, but if people replicated exactly what you're doing (using one bulb like you are), they should theoretically come up with the same deviations as you have.
In other words, if the super sun 2 reads 20% brighter than other reflectors it should read that way always.

Ya know?

I wish I could send you my silverstar reflector...it's a bit big for my set-up. It's really best with a 1000 and my 400 watt looks tiny in there. It is a really good hood though...light is really evenly dispersed from what my eye sees. I'd love to see what the lightfoot candle says though!

JC

S

stretchpuppy

Thanks for all the hard work pico. Totally enjoyed this thread with my morning coffee..

The man took his hoods down from the flower room for testing! Right on!!

k+

:joint:

(Glad I have a Super Sun :wave: )

pico

Veteran
jcsmooth said:
Yes, but if people replicated exactly what you're doing (using one bulb like you are), they should theoretically come up with the same deviations as you have.
In other words, if the super sun 2 reads 20% brighter than other reflectors it should read that way always.

Ya know?

I wish I could send you my silverstar reflector...it's a bit big for my set-up. It's really best with a 1000 and my 400 watt looks tiny in there. It is a really good hood though...light is really evenly dispersed from what my eye sees. I'd love to see what the lightfoot candle says though!

JC

Yeah 20% should be the same regardless. I was just saying noone could compare their numbers to my numbers because of the difference in bulb intensity.

stretchpuppy - Not sure which supersun hood you have, but I tested the Supersun 2. I will be testing the SuperSun 1 shortly so if you have that one look for the results.

Latest posts

Latest posts