What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Display or Other Off-The-Shelf L.E.D. Lights for Micro-Grows?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm looking for a lighting solution which can be placed in a 24"-36" high type micro-cabinet. Are there any lighting solutions for displays using flowering quality L.E.D. solutions?

Something you can purchase off the shelf and plug in with low/no hassle. Thanks ever so much for any useful input.

:tiphat:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I want to help but have such poor luck with single lights close to plants. At close range the square of the distance loss of intensity in a 120 degree beam really screws up the light hitting the plant.
A plant six inches away grows three inches and suddenly the top is getting four times the intensity, not good.

A set of four par 38 screw in LED spotlights, one in each corner would keep the light intensity even over the whole plant, allowing more height without burning the cola. The lights in the photo have had colas right up in between them, safely.
This is no longer just plug and play, but close, more plugs.

Attachments

• Spreading the overhead lights allows the cola to go between.jpg
    Spreading the overhead lights allows the cola to go between.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Light is angled in on the lower half of plant.jpg
    Light is angled in on the lower half of plant.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 18

sixixix

I'm using three of these panels, although with a different driver. Mine are 4000K, used for veg, and I'm really happy with them. More efficiency and better spectrum compared to blurple light. You can't really go wrong with HLGs products.

Edit for pics:

ywipgWOh.jpg

zUxDbJQh.jpg

soil margin

Veteran
Those HLG-65's look nice, I just ordered one recently to supplement my 3x3 tent and am really looking forward to trying it out.

For something with a bit higher wattage but similar efficiency/price range, check out these https://solstrip.com/en/12-solsheets, they come in a 150 and 250w models. Not too pricey and really great lights from my limited experience.

Douglas.Curtis

Some great suggestions here, thank you very much. You've given me some great ideas and areas to look into. :D

Awesome!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You got another link? That doesn't work for me.

Sorry no, this one is copied straight from my browser...
But just search "Bonsai Hero" and it will pop up.
Also feel free to check the "super silent mode" thread in my sig, it uses the 65w Hans Panel, which was the first back then and not as eveolved as they're now, but still got me 80g from 65w in a scrog set-up.
Best,
CC

sixixix

The Hans panel is supposedly regarded as one of the very best of the previous generation grow LEDs, and it is made with top quality components. But it is still previous gen tech.

HLG and other brands using quality phosphorus-coated white LEDs (COB or SMD) will be more effective, offer a better spectrum, and cost less.

DIY'ers build lights with the best components for under 1usd/watt. Times they are a-changing!

Edit: SolSkins are nice too! LM561C-based boards/strips seems to be taking over for COBs, lots of HLG clones and similar on Alibaba.com these days.

Last edited:

Drop That Sound

I always wondered about using mini CMH bulbs.. They make them in almost any wattage, like 39 watt for example. Even have little baby 39 watt ballasts to power them. Could even make a mini hood or cool tube to go with it ;)

How about a fixture full of 20-70w bulbs? 600-1000, watts all spread over a nice even scrog canopy. Lower ceilings in mind...

Attachments

• 415HJoiqcXL._AC_US218_.jpg
    415HJoiqcXL._AC_US218_.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 51uc3T9KvHL._AC_US218_.jpg
    51uc3T9KvHL._AC_US218_.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Drop That Sound

Found this pic here in an old thread. An oil lamp glass converted cool tube, with a 70 watt CMH. Sounds about perfect for a few square feet of space!

Attachments

• user102449_pic689921_1307447440.jpg
    user102449_pic689921_1307447440.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 18

Douglas.Curtis

I'm wondering if there are any commercial or home appliances which fit the bill? Something with a high volume of production, so the price is much lower. Great or even decent LED's at a very low price.

Has anyone worked with LED display lighting for micro grows? What other industry uses lights like display lighting, and what LED offerings have cropped up.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always wondered about using mini CMH bulbs.. They make them in almost any wattage, like 39 watt for example. Even have little baby 39 watt ballasts to power them. Could even make a mini hood or cool tube to go with it ;)

How about a fixture full of 20-70w bulbs? 600-1000, watts all spread over a nice even scrog canopy. Lower ceilings in mind...

I've been thinking about this as well and there are bunch of guys on here who are getting really good results with mini CMHs.
On the German sub forum... growing pure sativas under 70W&35W CMHs. Was quite impressive.
I turned towards LEDs as the heat and breaking threat of the CMHs was a concern for me as I'm frequently leaving my plants alone for 2weeks+

Those guys however never seemed to have problems.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm wondering if there are any commercial or home appliances which fit the bill? Something with a high volume of production, so the price is much lower. Great or even decent LED's at a very low price.

Has anyone worked with LED display lighting for micro grows? What other industry uses lights like display lighting, and what LED offerings have cropped up.

Curtis,
I can only recommend the 7-in-1 bulb holder as an efficient yet cheap solution.
I've also gone from red&blue to white full spectrum, results really are better imho.
Those quantum thingies look real good too.

BEst,
CC

Douglas.Curtis

Thank you, I may end up going with a fixture. I too would choose the CMH if it wasn't heat and danger issues. :D lol

St. Phatty

I'm having real good luck with a combination of Warm (2700K) and Cool (5000K) $1, 9 watt bulbs from Walmart.

Bought a 200 watt "Dominator" with 6 COB assemblies. Puts out lots of purple-ish light that completely screws up the light sensors on a smart-phone. Not that that's bad, just to describe it.

In the process of side-lining the Dominator and building some fixtures with 20+ sockets for the $1 bulbs.

Of course, will keep the Dominator and see how it works during Cannabis flowering.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I've had great success with SolStrips. I've built three or four of these lights for myself and family. They aren't that difficult to DIY if you buy the pre-drilled and tapped heat sinks. They use the Samsung LM561C diodes, the strips run 24-volts and up to 2-amps.

Here is a 360-watt (dimmable) version that I use in a 30"x30"x30" grow space. It has six 2700K strips on a 240-watt driver and three 4000K on a 120-watt driver. This allows me to adjust not only intensity, but also spectrum.
picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Wow... not exactly off-the-shelf, but definitely pretty. :) Nice neat job you did there as well, congrats and thank you. :)