What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cal-Mag Plus info

G

CAL-MAG PLUS ™
A highly beneficial calcium, magnesium, iron and trace minerals, plant nutrient supplement

The Original
CAL-MAG Plus ™ is a custom plant supplement designed to help with calcium, magnesium and iron deficiencies in nutrient fertilizer programs. CAL-MAG Plus ™ serves as a catalyst for the major elements to work in symbiosis with one another to prevent blossom end rot in plants such as tomatoes and peppers and tip burn in lettuce.

CAL-MAG Plus ™ is a bio-catalyst for plants. It is a highly beneficial plant nutrient supplement designed to correct the inherent problem of calcium, magnesium and iron mineral deficiencies found in most soil fertilizers and some hydroponic nutrient liquid concentrated formulas.

CAL-MAG Plus ™ also contains iron, boron, zinc, manganese, molybdenum, copper, cobalt and iodine, beneficial vitamins, 20 essential amino acids and select botanical plant extracts to help in the production of fruits and vegetables in fruit and flower bearing plants.

CAL-MAG Plus ™ Helps Prevent
• Blossom end rot in tomatoes and peppers
• Tip burn in lettuce and cabbage
• Dry and withered flower and fruit sets
• Interveinal chlorosis
• Stunted growth rates
• Upward leaf curl

CAL-MAG Plus ™ Helps Increase
• Cell division and plant tissue development
• Flower and fruit sets
• Water nutrient and carbon dioxide uptake
• Growth rates and crop maturity

NOTE: CAL-MAG Plus ™ is not to be confused with other copied formulas .

milkman2k52

I'm pretty sure you would have mentioned it had cal mag been organic, so is there a fully organic substitute or equivilant nutrient booster?

badmf

It can be used with any products but keep in mind if you don't have a def, you may reach a lock out by overferting! Most growers that use r/o water forget that the minerals the man'frs go by when setting their formulas are with tap, so they must supplement the lacking macros. If you don't have a def it isn't absolutely necessary to use it, however having a bottle handy is good planning. You can foliar feed with it as well.

filimagno

in the EU...isn't allowed in the 100%organic crops...cause it's mineral..and not from natural soft minerals ;but from salts.

as the same of the PBP...in the real organic farming is absolute out of discussion it uses!!
it contains mineral sources ...and not all his ingredients are from natural extraction..by this way in the EU it could'nt being passed by our law in organic farming.

filimagno

toofat said:
It is organic.:wave:
where?...and in which film? where do u found calcium or magnesium in his purest form like cal\mag(with his specifically proportion) without extract his self by chemical reaction?

where???????...read some book man...and open your eyes... :pointlaug

K

kokua

Biomin Calcium from SaferGro is O.M.R.I certified as being “non synthetic”. Same goes for the Biomin Magnesium

http://www.omri.org/complete_company.pdf

Biomin Calcium
Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen…………….2.0%
2.0% Water Soluable Organic Nitrogen

Calcium (Ca)……………..5.0%
5.0% Chelated Calcium

Derived from Calcium Carbonate, Citric acid, and Glycine, Nitrogen derived from Glycine.

Just because you see calcium carbonate…doesn’t mean it is inorganic.

All limestone forms from the precipitation of calcium carbonate from water. Calcium carbonate leaves solutions in many ways and each way produces a different kind of limestone. All the different ways can be classified into two major groups: either with or without the aid of a living organism.
Most limestone is formed with the help of living organisms. Many marine organisms extract calcium carbonate from seawater to make shells or bones. Mussels, clams, oysters, and corals do this. So too do microscopic organisms such as foraminifera. When the organisms die their shells and bones settle to the seafloor and accumulate there. Wave action may break the shells and bones into smaller fragments, forming a carbonate sand or mud. Over millions of years, these sediments of shells, sand, and mud may harden into limestone. Coquina is a type of limestone containing large fragments of shell and coral. Chalk is a type of limestone formed of shells of microscopic animals.
Limestone can also be formed without the aid of living organisms. If water containing calcium carbonate is evaporated, the calcium carbonate is left behind and will crystalize out of solution. For example, at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park, hot water containing calcium carbonate emerges from deep underground. As the hot water evaporates and cools, it can no longer hold all of the calcium carbonate dissolved in it and some of it crystallizes out, forming limestone terraces. Limestone formed from springs is called travertine. Calcium carbonate that precipitates from water dripping through caves is responsible for the formation of beautiful cave features such as stalactites and stalagmites.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761565838/Limestone_(mineral).html

Biomin Magnesium
Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen (N)…………….2.0%
2.0% Water Soluable Organic Nitrogen

Magnesium (Mg)……………..3.0%
3.0% Chelated Magnesium

Derived from Magnesium Sulfate, Citric acid and Glycine, Nitrogen derived from Glycine.

Magnesium Sulfate is Epsom salt. Epsom salt was originally prepared by boiling down mineral waters at Epsom, England and afterwards prepared from sea water. In more recent times, these salts are obtained from certain minerals such as epsomite.

CAL-MAG Plus
Guaranteed Minimum Analysis
Total Nitrogen (N)…………….2.0%
1.94% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.06% Water Soluable Organic Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca)…………………..3.2%
Magnesium (Mg)………………1.2%
Iron (Fe)………………………...0.1%

Derived from: Calcium nitrate, Magnesium nitrate, and iron edta.

Now when we compare the two sources we can easily tell that Cal-Mag Plus from Botanicare is anything but organic J Other common uses for Calcium Nitrate are explosives, matches, pyrotechnics, and radio tubes. Magnesium nitrate is widely used in pyrotechnics as well.

Even the chelating agent is chemical in nature. EDTA is a crystalline acid, C10H16N2O8, that acts as a strong chelating agent. I will use Iron as the example here, because Cal-Mag Plus has it in their formula. Iron is an essential nutrient for plant growth. However, if you put a simple iron compound such as iron nitrate in your solution, it will form a precipitate with other chemicals in the solution such as phosphate. To avoid this, you must use chelated iron. A chelating agent is a molecule that grabs onto an ion such as iron and holds it tightly so that it cannot precipitate. However, plants still have ways of extracting the iron they need from these compounds. EDTA iron is one type of chelated iron that you can use in a nutrient solution.

The O.M.R.I certified Biomin products use a natural chelating agent of citric acid in lieu of the edta.

http://www.landfood.ubc.ca/courses/fnh/410/lipids/5_4.htm

K

kokua

Who stickied this anyway??? Can we unsticky it... because Cal Mag Plus has nothing to do with organic hydro...

Cannasuer

it does too smell organic it smells like fermented sugar cane whether it has any in it i dont know but all theyre nutes smell similar, all i know is they work.

tintala

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF CALMAG

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF CALMAG

IS used with RO WATER EXCLUSIVELY? Or if not, when can you put it with clones in veg? How soon? I plugged in calmag with pro blend grow and it killed half my clones,. so I flushed and went waaaaay less than it calls for , still burned em. So now i was wondering if calmag doesnt need to be there at all!?!?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Are the clones rooted?

How much Calmag are you adding? What is your water source? R/O? tap?

Do you know the ppm or EC of your water before you add any nutes?

Calmag is really usually only needed to supplement trace minerals when using a soft or extra soft water. Or a strain particularly hungry for calcium or magnesium. If you answer the questions i may be able to help

tintala

Are the clones rooted?

How much Calmag are you adding? What is your water source? R/O? tap?

Do you know the ppm or EC of your water before you add any nutes?

Calmag is really usually only needed to supplement trace minerals when using a soft or extra soft water. Or a strain particularly hungry for calcium or magnesium. If you answer the questions i may be able to help

i used maybe 20ml for ten gal of tap h20,dont know the ppm, ec. The clones are def rooted, never ever feed them till roots appear. so i was thinking that cal mag is NOT ALWAYS needed, there is enough in my tap. but what would a good ppm be for tap for hyrdo?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
A good ppm for tap would be somewhere between 75-300. preferably in the middle. Or so I'm told. I had trouble feeding well water of 300.

You refer to them as clones, which leads me to beliee they hae not had roots for long? Is this correct? If so then i would chill on the calmag as your tap is likely fine without it.
If i were using tap i would not add calmag unless, 1. I noticed a deficiency in cal or mag, 2. I was growing coco.

Trillyen

why would u have to use cal/mag if u brew a good tea with molasses, and other trace elements every third watering or so?I can understand a reverse osmosis user wanting to add it to there water because of the natural elements that the prosess strips from the water... but are the minerals essential for every watering??y don't they make a organic cal/mag?

im use n cal-mag wit puravida bloom in a dwc bubbler, the pura vida has no calcium in it but lile 2 of my plants r turning yellow but the veins r green nd dont know the problem yet. Any solutions?

justiceman

Veteran
If Cal mag isn't organic then what do Organic Hydro users do for calcium and magnesium if they use R/O water. just molasses?

Latest posts

Latest posts