What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well....inquiring minds want to know you know ��

After trying a good sample of sherb he got her in to breed with. GSC and gelato would be on separate ends of the spectrum with Sherb in the middle based on terp profiles. He likes both but gave the edge to GSC for Sentimental reasons which is completely understandable. I still would like to know if these have the same genetic makeup just different phenos. There is info that indicates this.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is. For me Sherb isn't that much different from GSC. They both have much of the same genetics. I don't want to get DF thread all gummed up with this. I got enough info to satisfy my curiosity:D

nickman

Veteran
It is. For me Sherb isn't that much different from GSC. They both have much of the same genetics. I don't want to get DF thread all gummed up with this. I got enough info to satisfy my curiosity:D

I’m just curious but what are the genetics that they share.?.

I don’t even really know what the GSC genetics are... I’ve heard assumptions but never ever got a for sure answer on the genetics...

Hammer, which one u like better.?.

U

useless.gardens

no problem hammer. you the man!

as far as gsc. berner claims he created cherry pie. & then hit that with "f1 durban". lies. cherry pie was created by the guy who came up with grokashi (Alan Albin Adkisson). berner bought pounds of that from him. found some beans. & the rest is really not known. at least, thats the way i understand it.

"Berner bought some elbows from a light leak seeded room of Cherry Pie Kush. He was asked not to call it Cherry Pie Kush because the breeder had not stabilized it yet. He was eating girl Scout Cookies at the time and said it tasted like them. He turned around and put it on the board at his shop as Girl Scout Cookies. That's how it went down. The lies started shortly thereafter. Like I said the genome mapping project will show what's up."

according to alan ...cherry pie = durban & GDP

Last edited:

genetic freaked

Veteran
Heres my stand out Snow Monkey..
Almost positive she's a she and if she is she will be something special.. I love her structure.. She will sure hold some heavy weight colas.
A quick sweet smell that quickly turns into the burning tires that makes my eyes water.. Literally smells like your face is directly next to a tire thats doing a burnout.
Sorry for the crappy pics.. Not easy taking pics of plants in veg.

More pics in the Stank Bros forum.. Lots of good phenos showing with smells of white grape and horribly burnt tires :laughing:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally had the time over the last few days to finish framing the veg room. I made it a bit bigger than original planned. I'll have 5'x5' for veg/lung room, which will be plenty of space for seeds, clones, mothers, and trimming/drying. I'm still working on building a filter box for a fresh air intake and have to run wiring and insulate and cover with Thermal Shield, etc. However, the skeleton is in place.

Should also mentioned. I cut the confirmed Cobalt Haze lady up big time. Knowing it was a female changed how I was willing to let it grow. I topped at the 3rd, instead of the 5th internode, leaving 6 branches instead of 10. All those 6, were topped at their second internodes, leaving 4 branches to form off the each of the 6. This will help form a lower canopy for a plant I'm expecting now to stretch heavily during flower.

@Hammer - glad to have you in the thread. I don't mind conversation about genetics. I stopped paying attention once I stopped growing and now it's almost impossible to catch up with the insta shift. Glad you figured out what you needed to know.

@Nickman - I'm not sure when I'll flip. I'm wanting to run a screen eventually, so still learning how big 8 plants would need to be to fill it in, as far as root balls go. I have about 4' of space from top of soil to lights, while still maintaining 2' distance from the bulbs. I've worked in about the same vertical space with 1k lamps and always filled at about 18-22". Not running a screen and not knowing how these will stretch and not knowing how deep into the canopy these 315's will penetrate, leaves a bunch of variables. The answer is, I'm not entirely sure yet, but I'm thinking around 15-18 inches max.

@genetic_freaked - the double serrations on that plant are just insane. It has the really sharp and prominent serrations as well, similar to I'm seeing on the male I like, though, the leaves look much thinner, more like GROM or the Digi mom. I'm not seeing near the number of doubles on the male as I see on your female either. Fingers crossed she is a female for you!

picture.php

dank.Frank

Last edited:

nickman

Veteran
So when I look at your room there’s the 5x5’ veg area and then I see the room off in the back with the T5 hanging over the plants... I’m assuming that’s the flower room...

Does the soil bed take up the entire room...?...

I’m just trying to get a picture in my head of the flower room too...

Looking good though...
I sometimes wish I could re build my rooms...!!!...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The flower room interior is 28" wide x 60" long. The soil bed is 27.75" wide x 54" long. The 3" on each end gives me room to set in pvc screens, eventually. I wanted enough room in the veg room to trim comfortably without being to crowded. The veg area is I guess 2x the size of the flower room. A mistake I have always made in the past is not giving enough room to work in veg. This is only the second time I've not made that compromise.

To give you a visual. The veg room is a 3 wall addition, tacked on to the already built flowering chamber. To help answer your question, I added an area representative of the flower chamber to the model and then elevated a space that represents the size of the soil bed in relation to the rest of the build.

picture.php

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This box is 15.25" x 16". The inset is routed out, 3/4" wide and 1" deep. This will fit snug between standard framing, and hold a 14" x 14" filter. This will be a passive fresh air intake for the box, but still ensure the air coming in the box is clean.

picture.php

picture.php

dank.Frank

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
This box is 15.25" x 16". The inset is Routed out, 3/4" wide and 1" deep. This will fit snug between standard framing, and hold a 14" x 14" filter. This will be a passive fresh air intake for the box, but still ensure the air coming in the box is clean.

View Image
View Image

dank.Frank

I use the same type filter for my intakes. It's a must. Few years back my old man had his whole room destroyed by PM. I had stopepd doing things with him and his new helper took the filter out of the intake and never put it back. PM galore.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@DTOG - Glad to know I'm thinking the right way here. I've had issues before with PM from a house being surrounded in plants that were covered in it each early spring/late fall. I kept the room flawless, and still I'd see it in veg. Took me a bit to learn to treat the entire property for environmental concerns. NOW, if I want to let fresh air in from any source, it has to pass through a barrier. Filtering intakes is a must for quality control and peace of mind.

Makes me wonder, how often do you need to change your filter? I'm hoping they'll last 6 months before needing rotated.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It seems both the Cobalt Haze are female. Very different growth profiles, but they smell similar. I honestly expect the taller, lanky plant to be purple. I have my reasons, but I won't be surprised if she turns colors as she matures.

Males like these to SSH can't be a bad thing. We'll see.

picture.php

I'm still not 100% on the other Snow Monkey yet. I took the lower branches off the larger Suzy Q Bx2 mom. That gave me six cuts and you can't even tell they are gone. If she ever fills in, she could be a massive plant.

I really want something chem related to use this funky male on so I'm trying 4 more seeds of the Chem Sis x Topanga Pure Kush fems. Really hope they germinate. Only have 5 left if these don't sprout.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
@DTOG - Glad to know I'm thinking the right way here. I've had issues before with PM from a house being surrounded in plants that were covered in it each early spring/late fall. I kept the room flawless, and still I'd see it in veg. Took me a bit to learn to treat the entire property for environmental concerns. NOW, if I want to let fresh air in from any source, it has to pass through a barrier. Filtering intakes is a must for quality control and peace of mind.

Makes me wonder, how often do you need to change your filter? I'm hoping they'll last 6 months before needing rotated.

dank.Frank

About that often is when I change mine. Usually in the spring and fall. During wether changes, Spring/Summer I change it because I need maximum airflow to combat high temps. Winter it gets changed cause I close that intake up, and in doing so don't wanna get the shit in the filter all up in the room, while closing up the intake(I burn propane for CO2) .

This is the filter I use. Easy to cut pieces out of and catches all the shit i don't want in the room.

picture.php

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

Makes me wonder, how often do you need to change your filter? I'm hoping they'll last 6 months before needing

dank.Frank

Actually the way most of us run our rooms at negative pressure to control odors ensures that some air will infiltrate through every available crack, light switch, and door or window even though most goes through the filter.

At best the intake filter will catch most dirt and bugs but not all of it.

I've been studying clean room and operating room HVAC to see how they deal with contamination and they all use filtered intake air in positive pressurized rooms except when treating patients with a disease like Ebola then they use negative pressure so contagious shit gets filtered before it leaves the room.

They are using a new tech that uses high MERV or HEPA filters, charcoal, electrostatic then catalytic uvc which is really cool.

You surround the uvc bulb with a coated screen and it kills DNA in anything alive and breaks down odor causing molecules without creating any ozone.

In a sealed room you can circulate through one of these and it will scrub and purify.

This tech started in HVAC as a way to deal with mold in the cooling coils of AC units that run in humid climates, the addition of the catalyst made the uvc light treatment way more effective.

The business of making/selling these for home use is full of rip off artists and false claims and the similar light systems go for huge differences in price.

This is the first inexpensive unit I'm testing, mounted in a duct at ceiling level piping the cleaned warm air down to the floor 24/7 recirc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754C889Z/

MERV and HEPA filters seem to be a bit of a racket in price too when sold by brand name furnace manufactures, you need to run cheaper pre filters on top of the thick MERV jobs, the latest are 12" thick and around $200.

I've always cooled with exchanged air because it's free but I'm about to bang windows in my new room so I can try to get my VPD on and my PM managed.

It seems the low humidity stress I get in the winter is worse for the PM than high humidity.

This is a decent explanation of the tech.
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-photocatalytic-air-purifiers-work.html

Video of what a pro unit looks like and how it works.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z3zaIBt8Opc

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Chunky - This isn't a fully sealed room. which I have run before with recirculating air on a HEPA. I'll have negative pressure in the flowering room and slightly positive pressure in the veg room as a result of exhausting in there. I'll be using expanding foam around larger gaps and silicone around all exterior lines. It will be SEALED except for, the 14" filtered intake.

I'm hoping, the 6" vortex pulling cool, fresh air into the flower room from the rear of the veg and exhausting hot air out the carbon filter into the front of the veg will create a circular enough air flow. I'm hoping the exhaust pressure through the filter will not be greater than the intake pressure, making everything work perfectly. Time will tell, but I'll get it right eventually.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1 of the 4 Chem Sis x Topanga Canyon Pure Kush actually broke soil. It did not push itself free of the seed shell, so I used an blade and tweezers to remove it. I waited about 12 hours and saw the seedling had tried to expand but could not. They interior layer of the shell was still attached to the cotyledons. I removed that with tweezers. We'll see if the thing has enough energy to actually pull though. Finger crossed!

Started 4 Raskal OG x Skunk Va fems from Subrob. I had 9 of the 90 made. After these 4, have 1 left. Hopefully, they will germinate.

It seems more and more like both the Snow Monkey might be male. If that is the case, the more GROM/Glue type plant will be killed in favor of the Chem Sis/Sour Bubble/Digi plant. I want to start more of these seeds, but need to get the female count up before sorting out more males.

I've topped the Cobalt Haze several times now. Even had to super crop the stems on the lankier one. They sit about 13" tall currently. It's about time to get things transplanted into the soil bed hardened off for flower. The Suzy Q Bx2 plant is almost big enough to fill a single light with some in bed veg time and screen work.

Question: I used to move from T5 fluro to 1K HPS and the plants always showed what we just called lumen shock. The 1k was so bright the plants took about the first week to properly adjust and really grow. Best way to avoid this was to use some form of HID in veg for two weeks prior to flower. That resulted in seed starts, clones, veg up to 1/2 gallon all being under fluro and 1 gallon + pre-flower vegging happening under a 400w MH. I will also say, plants develop thicker stems under HID than under fluro, which relates to nutrient transportation difference and eventually yield differences in the end.

Do you experience lumen shock with the 315 CMH?

dank.Frank

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I run 315 for veg and going into flower, 1k de, always shocks them. It’s also the first time they see boosted co2 levels and get put on 2 feedings a day so it only lasts about 5 days. The lights are 6’ over the tops when they make their start in flower so that probably helps and I try to keep the humidity between 70-80% for the first month. One day I could see doing a 600 watt light room for the first few weeks of flower and then moving them to finish under the 1k. I have read not to dim down the de bulbs even though the ballasts that I use have that as an option.

Goats

I run 315 for veg and going into flower, 1k de, always shocks them. It’s also the first time they see boosted co2 levels and get put on 2 feedings a day so it only lasts about 5 days. The lights are 6’ over the tops when they make their start in flower so that probably helps and I try to keep the humidity between 70-80% for the first month. One day I could see doing a 600 watt light room for the first few weeks of flower and then moving them to finish under the 1k. I have read not to dim down the de bulbs even though the ballasts that I use have that as an option.

can your ballasts be dimmed? maybe first week on 600 or 750 before cranking them up to 1000? just a thought :tiphat: