What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HempKat & The Insane Clone Posse

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks, I feel unable to take the credit as the camera does all the work really, I just get it in the right spot to do that work. :smile:

C

Cracky

Holy Moly! ~ Those photos on page 11 are outstanding, HempKat. I've been trying to get macro shots of my buds but mine look like they are from a mile away compared to those. I'm sure you've answered this before, but how did you do that? I use a 5 Mp camera on a tripod with flash.

Thanks

Cracky
another ol'fart

HempKat

Veteran
Cracky said:
Holy Moly! ~ Those photos on page 11 are outstanding, HempKat. I've been trying to get macro shots of my buds but mine look like they are from a mile away compared to those. I'm sure you've answered this before, but how did you do that? I use a 5 Mp camera on a tripod with flash.

Thanks

Cracky
another ol'fart

It's not really me, it's my camera, I use a Nikon coolpix 4800 which is 4MP so it's not the MP that makes the difference but that helps. What lets me get shots like that is that my camera has an 8.2X optical zoom, most other cameras only have a 3X optical zoom. This is not to be confused with digital zoom. The optical zoom on my camera lets the camera be able to focus as close as 1/2" away. So in the shots you're talking about, the lens of my camera is literally a half inch from the bud I'm taking a pic of. Most cameras can't focus any closer then an inch away. Finally there is one thing you might not be aware of that can help, and this is where more MP can be good. Take your pics at the highest resolution your camera can support. For my camera that means the pictures come out at 2288 x 1712 pixels. That's too big to post here. Most people like 800 x 600 as the biggest resolution for pics, that's what I use. Now there are two ways you can make a picture that is 2288 x 1712 into a picture that is 800 x 600. One is you can resize the whole picture down to 800 x 600 but this will make everything in the picture look smaller. The other way and this is what I do, is crop out the 800 x 600 center of a 2288 x 1712 picture. This gets the picture to the size you want without shrinking the things within that center. Most cameras when in macro mode have the sharpest focus in the center and blurs the edges so when you crop a picture like I'm saying, your mostly trimming out the blurred parts of the photo anyway.

C

Cracky

I'm listening... I have the 3X optical zoom and I set resolution at 5 Mp. I have seen some nice cameras with 12X for reasonable money but the camera is too large for me to use at work and I don't have a budget for a personal camera right now. I will try and get closer as I've been shooting from 12-24" away.

Thank you

HempKat

Veteran
Cracky said:
I'm listening... I have the 3X optical zoom and I set resolution at 5 Mp. I have seen some nice cameras with 12X for reasonable money but the camera is too large for me to use at work and I don't have a budget for a personal camera right now. I will try and get closer as I've been shooting from 12-24" away.

Thank you

Yeah most cameras when in macro mode can auto focus from around 1" away.

I

ijimunot

Educate me

Educate me

Wow, well I must say, a week and only one person bothered to peek in and comment? I feel like I woke up in the twilight zone :D

Ah well, such is life. Anyway it is now the start of week 3 of veg under the 1000W light and after being transplanted into 7gallon pots. The arerage height or the canopy is at 24 inches above ground, there are a few grow tips that go higher. They are steadily using a gallon a day and there is a tremendous amount of leaf growth and in rather tight bunches which doesn't work to well for the lower leaves in the bunch. Their diet consists of a 50/50 mix of veg and bloom ferts supplemented with blackstrap molasses and Liquid Karma.

Now I wanted to focus on the molasses for a moment. When using molasses ideally you want to use blackstrap molasses as it has had more processing which means less suger and more vitamins and minerals. You can use more normal molasses if you have to but I think the higher levels of sugar are bad for the plant and there are less vitamins and minerals. Therefore while regular molasses can help better to use blackstrap. Now for many blackstrap can be hard to find in a local store because it's less popular being less sweet. There is a brand however that is fairly priced and widely available thru health stores and organic "Natural" stores. It's made by a company called Plantation and it's blackstrap and unsulfered which is what you want. This is why I wanted to focus on this subject, I just wanted to make people aware of what to look for. Here is a picture of a bottle I bought, it cost $7 and change in US currency for a quart.

I also mentioned I used Liquid Karma which is a botanicare product. It's a bit pricey but it's a good product for organic growers. Basically it feeds the bio herd which you are trying to encourage in the root zone. It has other benefits as well but the feeding of the micro herd is what's important to me. This product is typically only found at hydro shops and online, this gallon here cost $45 so like I said, pricey.

Okay, now lets start with the four clone moms I have, they are getting nice and pretty. So since I can't afford to keep them around and grow them out I'm going to be taking clones here soon. I may toss them into some 3 gallon pots and try to squeeze them into the grow room somehow probably on a stand of some sort to keep them at canopy level. Anyway here they are.

I also want to take a moment to highlight a critical element to the indoor grower who wants to grow year round. That piece of equipment of course is an ac unit. For most decent indoor grows, your lights are going to cause a problem for you without one unless you restrict yourself to growing in winter. In fact it's this heat issue that is going to force me to stop growing for the summer since outdoor is not an option for me. Anyway for a space my size which is 5'x8'x8' a small window unit does fine, the one pictured here or one like it can be picked up for around $100 at places like Walmart or Home Depot.

I could continue to grow in the summer with the help of this but it gets to be a real strain and with energy costs being what they are it just doesn't seem worth it. So I'll shut down until September or October and then start up again. Because when it's cold out not only do I not need the ac but taking the ac out of the circuit lets me run both 1000W lights if I want to. :D

Well there's more pics of the grow room but I'll post that seperately.
I thought the main duty of the molasses was to feed the lil critters in the soil and the micro nutrients being a plus. Thus reducing the need for costly additives. I use molasses, fulvic and humic acids so I don't need pricey root zone products.
And the window AC. A lot of people dont use them because they think they pump smelly air from the room outside. But unless the AC has a vent or fresh air function they just recirculate air that is in the room. Peace

PassionForMaryJ

The thread you are posting in is a bit old....
But yes you are esentially correct, the molasses is used because it is one of the best forms of sugar (carbohydrate) that plants can utilize.
The fact that it also has added minerals, sulphur, potash, and other micro nutrients is an added plus.
Molasses is used mainly to help feed/stimulate the micro-herd, and for its ability to chelate...

A lot of good info on it can be found in the link in my signature....

HempKat

Veteran
I thought the main duty of the molasses was to feed the lil critters in the soil and the micro nutrients being a plus. Thus reducing the need for costly additives. I use molasses, fulvic and humic acids so I don't need pricey root zone products.
And the window AC. A lot of people dont use them because they think they pump smelly air from the room outside. But unless the AC has a vent or fresh air function they just recirculate air that is in the room. Peace

Okay except I never said the main duty of molasses was to provide micro nutrients. Actually if you want to get technical neither micronutrients or feeding the bio-herd is a main duty of molasses as molasses is not made for use with plants, people just found that it can be used for that.

As for the window AC, well if people don't understand how something works then it's probably best they not use them. You're correct though, window AC's do not vent air from the inside to the outside. The air you feel blowing out the back is from a fan blowing heat off the coils inside the unit and then out the back. This takes place inside the AC and therefore does not pull air from the room.

Latest posts

Latest posts