What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bowhunting

armedoldhippy

Veteran
tree stand or ground blind? compound, x-bow, recurve, longbow, flatbow, or selfbow? aluminum, graphite, fiberglass or wooden shafts?
expandables or 2, 3, or 4 blade fixed? or are you into knapping?:tiphat: inquiring minds (mine) want to know...:biggrin:

45th

Today, pop up hublind, private land, Parker Black hawk, three blade broadhead, 33 yard set.

dickcorn

I stay off my phone while hunting, it ruins my senses. Most my bow hunting is done in tree stands where I need to rely utter stealth, controlled movements and seeing them as far away as possible.
Washing my gear in scent killer as we speak and shooting my bow. Been seeing lots in area I'm hunting just nothing nice yet, hopefully next two weeks are good to me.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
last time bow hunting...

we four wheeled to the backside of White Rock Peak. it's rough and would qualify as wilderness if there weren't any ranch roads to gather the free roaming cattle.
we based camp and began climbing to the saddle.

through the bristlecone pines and sage we locate three bucks bedded and begin a stalk.

the wind is blowing hard and they have a small clearing protecting them.

i remove my pack and very slowly creep downwind from them, crawling on hands and knees, i get to within what i thought was about forty yards.
i nock and arrow and stand and draw a bead on the four pointer (western count) and let fly my first shot, and it hits brush.

the wind was blowing really hard this side of the mountain and had pushed my shot into the sagebrush, i knew i need to get closer. the bucks had not seen me, so i resume stalking.

i moved ten yards closer and nocked another arrow. repeating same procedure as before i let fly another arrow and missed short again.

this time the bucks heard the arrow hitting brush and came to attention.

i look over to see my partner, frantically waving me off, trying to position himself to get a shot.

fuck that! i'm within fifty yards of three nice bucks and they haven't seen or scented me, so i continue. nocking another and pulling down on the four pointer, i let loose and again miss short.

the bucks scatter with two running uphill past me and the other bigger one running across the grade to a side canyon.
i whistle and the two stop long enough for me to attempt a fourth shot. again i miss, the wind is just blowing too strong.

i have lost four arrows, i have two left.

i make my way back to my pack and discover i've lost my skinner while crawling downslope, so i meet up with my partner and inform him i'm looking for that knife.he says he'll meet me on the saddle at the top and we part ways. leaving my gear i return to the side of the mountain and recreate my stalk and find the knife.

i return and gather my gear and begin climbing to the top. as i summit, i see Leo with bow at the ready. i couldn't see any game yet so i keep walking.

this buck was bedded beneath a short cliff also protected from the high winds. i walked almost to the edge of the cliff and flush out the buck.

my friend Leo was a longtime bowhunter and i trusted his abilities but, he let one fly as the buck flushed from it's hiding spot and i see a hit. hitting a bounding buck is near impossible.

unfortunately it hit in it's flank, not a kill shot. there was little to no blood to follow and the buck disappeared into thick timber on the north side of this mountain, surely to die an agonizingly slow and painful death.

that was the last time bowhunting, ever.

i still have my bow, but hurt my rotater cup and cannot pull even thirty pounds to draw length, and i still have that Puma skinner that i've revered for years.

hunting has lost it's gloss for me, but has given me many memories.

go get 'em boys.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I can use any type of bow... I have owned just about every type and used to practice daily from my porch...i can even make one if I wanted too and have years back...with my messed up wrist all I do now is crossbow...yeehaw...after surgery I hope to return to it tho..I got a nice 9 point non typical deer last year with the cb..it didn't suffer much and dropped not far from where shot with bolt..trailing a bleeding animal makes me feel bad and sucks at night as you have to try to find it no matter what..that spray and special light makes it easier..luminol sp???..an old friend used to drag toilet paper on a stick...it will absorb blood and show easily..helps older folks with bad eyesight...my cb is 320+ fps and 119 lbs per sq inch and disables into 2 pieces in seconds.. rocking carbon fibre bolts...barnett rules ..its my second cb from them .. I can put it in back pack or hide it easily..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Any suggestions for getting started in bow hunting?

cheaper if you get into traditional archery- IE- recurves & longbows. you can find good used ones on ebay or craigslist, sometimes for under a c-note. compounds are higher dollar, esp. if you want all of the bells and whistles. i make my own wooden arrows for my trad bows, am learning to knap stone points, & trying to figure out how to make a one piece indian style selfbow out of walnut or hickory. pretty steep learning curves to pick up something indian children knew hundreds of years ago. if i only had an old indian to teach me...:tiphat:

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
It's bow season here till January, I use a bear Authority Rth compound bow with stinger 4 blade broad heads.
Hunting with a rifle for me is to easy, shit I could just sit and wait for anything to come within 800 yards and there ass is mine I have a 300 Winchester magnum and Force recon marine sniper training with 6 tours of duty under my belt sooo me hunting with a rifle is kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
the only time I would use a gun again is for mountain sheep..as you wont be sneeking up on them easilly....yeehaw...didn't do any hunting this year..still looking for something to mount my antlers on ..maybe a garden gnome???

mufinman

I can use any type of bow... I have owned just about every type and used to practice daily from my porch...i can even make one if I wanted too and have years back...with my messed up wrist all I do now is crossbow...yeehaw...after surgery I hope to return to it tho..I got a nice 9 point non typical deer last year with the cb..it didn't suffer much and dropped not far from where shot with bolt..trailing a bleeding animal makes me feel bad and sucks at night as you have to try to find it no matter what..that spray and special light makes it easier..luminol sp???..an old friend used to drag toilet paper on a stick...it will absorb blood and show easily..helps older folks with bad eyesight...my cb is 320+ fps and 119 lbs per sq inch and disables into 2 pieces in seconds.. rocking carbon fibre bolts...barnett rules ..its my second cb from them .. I can put it in back pack or hide it easily..
a coleman lantern with coleman (white gas) fuel lights up blood spots/sprays at night. kinda shitty carrying it around all day though. luminol, yes.

Bwanabud

Just got back from a 3 week run in the mid-west, and every year trek for me...crazy rut and temps this year for sure.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
sat in the rain for three hours today, nothing moving besides squirrels & crows. any time spent in the woods with a bow is good time, though...:tiphat:

Stinkymutt

My wife and daughter and I all shoot 3-d comp all summer and hunt all fall , except daughter . My wife was state womans 3-d champ for 3 yrs in a row and Im pretty proud of her for it . Im currently shooting a Hoyt alpha max thats a lil hotter that a friend built for 3-d . Shoots nice but its long and hard to use in a blind. I also have a PSE Brute for hunting that I like . My wife shoots PSE as well and my daughter is shooting a diamond compound set at like 20 lbs I think . She is only eight but has a ton of trophies and stuff now.
peace
mutt

Bwanabud

My son and I are heading back to the mid-west before xmas,,,2-3 day hunt, cold front is moving in...maybe a few does are in heat, hell we'll tear it up with the quads eitherway on the way to the woods :)

mufinman

cheaper if you get into traditional archery- IE- recurves & longbows. you can find good used ones on ebay or craigslist, sometimes for under a c-note. compounds are higher dollar, esp. if you want all of the bells and whistles. i make my own wooden arrows for my trad bows, am learning to knap stone points, & trying to figure out how to make a one piece indian style selfbow out of walnut or hickory. pretty steep learning curves to pick up something indian children knew hundreds of years ago. if i only had an old indian to teach me...:tiphat:

oldhippy is on to it and is the best way to start BUT! when you see /feel you are under-gunned with a recurve and that compound is callin your name (speed!) make sure you are fitted for the correct draw length for you, with compounds draw length is very specific. Second on the compound is sights, instinct shooting, like with a recurve, a compound is not easy to do. Then put a 'kisser button' on your string giving a consistent anchor point (the specific spot the string is drawn back to every time you draw an arrow) and unless sometimes you might smile or frown when drawing an arrow, the corner of your mouth or tip of you upper lip is always in the same place which makes the sight, on the front of the bow, point to the same place you want the arrow to go at a specific distance.

and I could go on and on, arrows, arrow length, release aids, quivers, etc.. read up on bows. what do you want to do with it?? targets? fish? hunt? but targets are a must before either of the other two. PRACTISE! it harder shoot a bow for most than a pistol, at least at first. It is a great 'sport/passtiime'.

Recurves and straight bows will be easier ($$$) to get into, no doubt. then if you get hooked with arrows going down range, spend the bigg bucks for that compound, you will know more about archery by then. It is a blast.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you need 2 bows for when only squirrels and crows bother you..squirrel is good eating and everyone has eaten some crow one time or another ...yeehaw...high power and low power flu flu type setup