What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pre-mixing organic nutes ok?

pizzaBoy

My hobby grow is on the roof of my place in DC (not enough space indoors for a grow tent). This is the 2nd year I'm doing this same setup, so I'm looking for optimizations to make.

One such optimization is for saving time by pre-mixing my nutrients in 5-gal hedpacks so I can easily feed my plants and mix up a new batch every few days. I use organics, specifically Nectar For the God's Spartan Regimen.

However, it's been a strange start to June and we've had a lot of swings in weather, hail storm a couple weeks ago, above average rain, and random above average hot days. Because of all this, I haven't been able to feed them in over a week. The soil was soaked with rainwater and I don't want to just flush a bunch of nutes through the pots.

So, after 9-10 days of sitting on the deck, the 3ish gallons remaining of nutrient mix has developed an unpleasant odor (kinda moldy but not overpowering at all) and the pH has increased from 6.35 to 7.05. I'm curious if this is expected, or an indicator that I'm improplerly storing the mix, or that I just need to mix the nutes on demand.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar before?

Sounds like you should mix on demand. No personal experience with that line - while the line is organic, there are still chemical reactions that take place.

GB

pizzaBoy

Thanks for the quick reply GB. I think I'll do that. I'm still really curious what's going on with the mix.